: Frozen manifold to cat pipe bolts...

LV_V
06-02-12, 09:09 PM
So... where do I begin. The bolts connecting the factory manifolds to the factory cat down pipes have put me in my place, made me feel like a little bitch. I've wasted over 2 hours trying to free them, but no luck. Hit them with a torch and an impact wrench repeatedly, but they won't budge. WTF. What can I do to free these ridiculous bolts so that I can install my shiny new SW headers!?!

Houdini
06-02-12, 09:43 PM
hahah been there done that. Ended up MANY more hours than you have in it so far on my V1. Had to use a dremel to cut the nuts off after I rounded them off over hours of trying. Use a good penetrating spray and let them soak overnight...then try again with your impact wrench... making sure to use 6 pt well fitting sockets only. Other than that and the torch, I don't know what else to say. Good luck brother!

tbauer
06-03-12, 01:25 AM
Like he just mentioned a good penetrating lube should help. I use PB blaster you can get it at any parts store. Helps to start spraying the bolts before hand maybe even a day or two early for something like exhaust that's constantly getting hot and cold

thebigjimsho
06-03-12, 09:34 AM
Yep, a LOT of time and a LOT of patience. Hit them with a ton of WD-40. Wait. Hit it again. Bang on them. Spray them again. Hit em with an impact gun. Short bursts. Spray again.

Keep doing it.

OldRoadDawg
06-03-12, 10:59 AM
If they are like the V1 bolts and you have tried all the above... cut 'em off and/or drill out the old studs.
Go to Home Depot and replace them with standard bolts, lock washers and nuts. It's what I did.
And I've watched the Cadillac techs at the dealer do the same thing, rather than waste time and go through the aggravation.

Even if you get the old ones to back out, they won't be worth re-using. GM replacement studs are sort of pricey.

thebigjimsho
06-03-12, 11:24 AM
Agreed.