: Looking at a 11-12 CTS-V sedan

mlrtime99
06-02-12, 08:21 PM
Talk me out of it, what don't you like, what hasn't turned out the way you wanted?

Gary Wells
06-02-12, 09:06 PM
Talk me out of it, what don't you like, what hasn't turned out the way you wanted?

What, talk you out of it? Hell no, we want you to go through the same punishment we are forced to go through every time we drive it.

Stillborn
06-02-12, 09:20 PM
it's one of the baddest cars to ever roll out of gm. i'm talking top 5. nothing is perfect,...but I'll gladly settle with this car.

2012 CTS-V
06-02-12, 09:50 PM
Gas mileage, small tank. Only thing I could think of, I love the car.

94danstang
06-02-12, 09:53 PM
I'll comment here - having just bought one myself. Maybe I'll be able to contribute something rather than just lurk.

I would offer that it really just depends what you want. The V is a great car but it does have its compromizes - fit and finish, economy, etc. Also, being a 3 or 4 year old model, it lags behind a bit on the technology side of things. However it does not compromise on performance. I have only had the car a few days so I haven't come even close to the limits - but what I have seen and felt so far is absolutely amazing. AND - it rides like a Caddilac!

For me personally I looked at the BMW 550 and Audi A6. I tried to look at the C63, but couldn't find one to drive. Anyway, all 3 of those cars are a dime a dozen. I wanted to have something a bit more exclusive - something you didn't see on the road everyday (maybe the C63 is a bit more exclusive). Add to that a 4 year warranty, 5 year road side assistance, 4 years maintenance, the fact you can mod the hell out of it, it beats anything else in its price range, and might still come out cheaper, and I say SOLD.

But that was how I made my decision - you may have different priorities.

Good luck!

DAN

DangFoo
06-02-12, 10:21 PM
Many report differential issues and I've had mine a month and it's already off for repair.

However, I do like the car and have been pleased with the Cadillac brand overall.

mlrtime99
06-02-12, 10:55 PM
Thanks dan, exactly what I was looking for. I've also been test driving the C63 and the M5 and the cts-v was the only car I cracked a smile in while test driving with the salesman. That being said, this would be my first return to GM in more than 10 years after a disastrous history with 2 complete lemons. I have read up on the outdated nav/entertainment system, the hot rear diff, and overall fit an finish concerns and that's exactly the info I'm looking for. If I'm aware of the downsides before I purchase the vehicle I won't be able to curse GM afterwards ;)

Along those same lines it seems that checking the diff fluid level or even replacing the fluid should be at the top of my list if I do purchase the vehicle, any other recommendations?

M5eater
06-02-12, 11:11 PM
Along those same lines it seems that checking the diff fluid level or even replacing the fluid should be at the top of my list if I do purchase the vehicle, any other recommendations?
Drive it. A lot.

Try not to pay attention to a lot of the threads around here. The only problems with the V are NVH related. There is nothing mechanically wrong with the car you should be concerned about, everything on the vehicle has been in use in other vehicles for years, so all the kinks are worked out.

smackdownCTSV
06-02-12, 11:37 PM
Diff is from low oil at the factory which GM knows about, yet keeps installing them with low oil. Stupid, but TSB.
Supercharger rattle is common an a known issue, GM addressed it with the ZL1 but left us with our dick in our hand; deal with it or fix it yourself for $150+ installed and risk voiding your warranty since the supercharger isn't serviceable.
Recaro seats creak and rock. GM knows about it, they're supposedly looking into it, and hasn't released a fix. Short of replacing the actual seat, I don't see a fix.
Suede steering wheel and shifter wear very quickly, but supposedly GM gives you 1 freebie. Clean it at your own risk, but other show they clean up well.
Ultraview Sunroof creaks on chassis flex, seems pretty common and it's not just on the V, the base CTS too.
Wheel click, there is a fix coming soon according to the TSB, but the band-aid clean and torque has worked for most of us.

I'm pissed at Cadillac myself. Very silly stuff going down, yet dealers are perplexed. And Cust. Service doesn't offer much. A lot on here are happy though, when they don't have problems at least. Hopefully you get one built better than some of us. I'm still glad I chose it, but this will most likely be my last GM.

M5eater
06-03-12, 10:10 AM
Smack, you're going to give the guy a heart attack..

Supercharger rattle is common an a known issue, GM addressed it with the ZL1 but left us with our dick in our hand
The last time I looked at that thread, people had confirmed that the ZL1 had the same spring-loaded bushing as the CTS LSA. Did It change since then?

Suede steering wheel and shifter wear very quickly, but supposedly GM gives you 1 freebie.
says 'some guy' with no information to back it up except his word. Ever heard of anyone complaining about the suede except one car rag that likely treats them little better than rental cars? Nope, neither have I, and I've had 140K mile cars with suede that was just dandy.

Diff is from low oil at the factory which GM knows about, yet keeps installing them with low oil. Stupid, but TSB.
I haven't seen any 11-12 V2's complain, I've had 2 and haven't had problems. The whole diff takes < 1.5quarts(my B5s and C5 with AWD took more than 1.5quarts in the rear..).. I haven't see *anyone* actually drain and measure how much oil comes out. I've said it before, but this 'low oil' stuff doesn't have any evidence to support it other than sometimes people complain that they get the diff light when driving hard on the inital fill and the 'problem' seems to go away after a change. My blackstone on the inital fill had TONS of wear particles in it(into the thousands of PPM). I can't help but feel the small res plus the tons of particles in the oil is significantly compromising the oil's ability to shead heat.

you know what, I'll change my initial diff fill today and measure how much comes out for everyone.

thebigjimsho
06-03-12, 10:41 AM
I was out yesterday. I saw this new S4 with price stickers on the windshield and dealer plates at a 4 way stop. As the Audi crossed in front of me, the driver was pointing with mouth agape.

I was smiling...

M5eater
06-03-12, 10:50 AM
I was out yesterday. I saw this new S4 with price stickers on the windshield and dealer plates at a 4 way stop. As the Audi crossed in front of me, the driver was pointing with mouth agape.

I was smiling...

It feels nice. I still have people cell-phone pic my plate. spyed this 20 something guy in a plane jane accord snap one off yesterday myself.

smackdownCTSV
06-03-12, 10:52 AM
The last time I looked at that thread, people had confirmed that the ZL1 had the same spring-loaded bushing as the CTS LSA. Did It change since then?

The pic in the thread shows otherwise.

says 'some guy' with no information to back it up except his word. Ever heard of anyone complaining about the suede except one car rag that likely treats them little better than rental cars? Nope, neither have I, and I've had 140K mile cars with suede that was just dandy.

We'll see, I'll be requesting one too. And you haven't even kept your previous V long enough, and the suede is very different that what you have in your 140K mile car. Mine is matted down really bad and I tried buffing it up, that's at 22K miles. Maybe the service advisor had too much moisturizer on her hands or the tech was too greasy?

I haven't seen any 11-12 V2's complain, I've had 2 and haven't had problems. The whole diff takes < 1.5quarts(my B5s and C5 with AWD took more than 1.5quarts in the rear..).. I haven't see *anyone* actually drain and measure how much oil comes out. I've said it before, but this 'low oil' stuff doesn't have any evidence to support it other than sometimes people complain that they get the diff light when driving hard on the inital fill and the 'problem' seems to go away after a change. My blackstone on the inital fill had TONS of wear particles in it(into the thousands of PPM). I can't help but feel the small res plus the tons of particles in the oil is significantly compromising the oil's ability to shead heat.

You should know. But there are 11-12 V2's with complaints. Search is your friend. The TSB extends to the 2011's too and GM says it's low and "others" reported this as well.

you know what, I'll change my initial diff fill today and measure how much comes out for everyone.

Go ahead and let us know.

M5eater
06-03-12, 11:03 AM
The pic in the thread shows otherwise.
you mean the stock exploded view photo of the ZL1 LSA?
FYI, the exploded view of the CTS-V LSA shows the same solid isolator, it's a CGI render, who knows if they were going for absolute accuracy.
http://puffine.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/lsa038.jpg

show me an acutal ZL1 LSA with this new bushing. Otherwise, if Jesse has any credibility left ;

Sorry guys, but i have torn apart a few zl1 engines and superchargers.. That issolator is not what is in the cad picture. Unless they change them in the latest batch that are sitting ready to be shipped, I do not think they fixed the noisy issolators. The are IDENTICAL to the ctsv ones on the blowers i torn apart. The only thing different is on the snout, they have 1 extra port right on the top of them.

here you go too, livernoise says they're the same as the CTS-V's.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/products/Livernois-Motorsports-2012-Camaro-ZL1-Solid-Supercharger-Coupler.html

We'll see, I'll be requesting one too. And you haven't even kept your previous V long enough, and the suede is very different that what you have in your 140K mile car. Mine is matted down really bad and I tried buffing it up, that's at 22K miles. Maybe the service advisor had too much moisturizer on her hands or the tech was too greasy?
Maybe, I only had 9500miles when I let the black one go.

You should know. But there are 11-12 V2's with complaints. Search is your friend. The TSB extends to the 2011's too and GM says it's low and "others" reported this as well.
I've seen a couple of TSB's for the diff, one that says the whine from the rear is normal, one that says they were shipped with low amounts of additive and may induce some clunking because the plates slip, but I can't remember seeing one that says the oil is low. I'll search around.

DangFoo
06-03-12, 01:56 PM
To answer the question on differential capacity; changed mine on Friday and it took 1.5 Qts to hit the point where some started leaking back out [car level: back on ramps and front jacked]. The OEM fluid [I have just under 9K miles] was black and full of the small shards, which I believe is normal for the initial break-in, so I wiped the magnet clean and proceeded. However, the horrid noise from my diff (whirring and the sound of metal contact) is still there and the car goes to the shop on Monday. Saying that the issue is low fluid is simply not the case with my car; perhaps with others. Some one posted having their diff replaced and then 10K miles later and the same problem came back. As much as I love this car; I will not tolerate frequent visits to the shop, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've had good success with Cadillacs, so I'd even swap to a little ATS if problem persists.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-04-12, 03:01 PM
I don't want to interfere with the honest feedback happening so far, so I just wanted to hop on quickly to let mlrtime99 know that I'm available via email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) and happy to investigate any vehicle questions.

Thank you for considering Cadillac, mlrtime99!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

M5eater
06-04-12, 04:55 PM
To answer the question on differential capacity; changed mine on Friday and it took 1.5 Qts to hit the point where some started leaking back out [car level: back on ramps and front jacked]. The OEM fluid [I have just under 9K miles] was black and full of the small shards, which I believe is normal for the initial break-in, so I wiped the magnet clean and proceeded. However, the horrid noise from my diff (whirring and the sound of metal contact) is still there and the car goes to the shop on Monday. Saying that the issue is low fluid is simply not the case with my car; perhaps with others. Some one posted having their diff replaced and then 10K miles later and the same problem came back. As much as I love this car; I will not tolerate frequent visits to the shop, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've had good success with Cadillacs, so I'd even swap to a little ATS if problem persists.
when you changed it-- how much diff additive did you add?