: will sts prices drop?

Cadillacdts01
06-02-12, 07:37 PM
So I'm looking to but a sts soon currently I have a 2001 dts and just want something newer it's definetly going to have a northstar but anyways I just want to know will prices drop because the xts and ats coming out and sts going out of production

KRSTS
06-02-12, 08:20 PM
I look for them to increase. Good clean ones are getting hard to find.

turnne
06-03-12, 06:32 PM
the older ones..05 and 06 are probably at their low point
They will fall more slowly now...than in their first 4 years
I do agree clean ones are getting hard to find

BUT....its that law of economics
Because of the way the cars fall in value some that buy it after 5 years cant afford the repairs..or wont put the money into a car that is not worth more than the STS's are...unless its just to keep the engine going

Look at the prices( and typical condition of 6 + year old cars) of the older STS...or the DTS

Same pattern with the 2005+ STS...and will be with the latest DTS as well

Warren

jimmbo
06-08-12, 11:51 PM
The STS, at least in this version, loses value faster than a digital camera.

eatyoursandwich
06-09-12, 02:20 PM
The STS, at least in this version, loses value faster than a digital camera.

How do you figure? 05 and 06, maybe, but how do you see a low mile 2007+ depreciating that fast? This isn't a Range Rover.

EChas3
06-09-12, 02:56 PM
I think the used car market is entering an interesting period. Manufacturers are building fewer cars equipped as many buyers want. To get bigger cars, owners are already in trucks & SUV's. As CAFE standards get more strict, I expect larger & more powerful used cars & trucks to hold their values better than otherwise expected.

I'm not shopping but I am watching used STS prices stay well above what I paid in 2008. Our cars are working fine and we still have a year or more of warranty coverage. There's nothing on the market today urging me to trade. Most of what I see is small, cheap, underpowered crap or way-overpriced.

IMHO, clean & well-cared for STS's have a lot of value.

MacMuse
06-10-12, 11:31 AM
Excellent point. I paid 19K for 3 year old STS in '09.

Yesterday the same dealer had 4 year old STS with more miles listed for $24K.

malatu
06-10-12, 11:47 AM
I would also suggest because they are getting into a price range that's affordable by more people, a demand is created that stabilizes and or pushes prices up. That won't last forever.

EChas3
06-10-12, 02:55 PM
In a year, I wouldn't hate trading to a '09 or '10 STS if I could find a well-cared-for & loaded 1SG.

EChas3
06-10-12, 02:59 PM
Maybe not.