: 2011 STS Lux RWD

diberjp
06-02-12, 04:21 PM
Hello, Just traded my 2006 DTS for a new left-over 2011 STS RWD. Love the size and the ride. My question, I live in the Northeast (WMass), will I have problems in the snow even with the TC ? Thanks, Jim D. aka diggerdog

Neutrocuted
06-02-12, 05:14 PM
If my past experience with my rwd CTS is any indicator at all you should be planning to purchase dedicated snow tires, preferably studless, on at least the rear axle. The guys at my local tire store stored them and swapped them on & off every season for free. Well worth the hassle for the additioinal and much, much needed traction. At the very least get a set of Continental DWS's. I'm super pleased with them. But I'm sure there are many excellent tires available besides the Conti's. Just my .02 worth.

MacMuse
06-02-12, 05:23 PM
The OEM tires will likely get you through at least one winter, as long as you're careful and in a well plowed area/metro area. After that, the original tires (Michelin I presume? What model?) usually start to become a little uncomfortable in winter.

I'm very happy with my Blizzaks for winters in Chicago. The original tires were dangerous in rain or snow after 3 years/30K miles.

curtc
06-02-12, 05:51 PM
With RWD cars like these you almost have to get dedicated snow tires...the difference is night and day.

scott9001
06-02-12, 06:06 PM
snow tires FTW

EChas3
06-03-12, 09:38 PM
Ditto's here.

amgqmp1
06-22-12, 07:33 PM
+1 on the snow tires

I ran my STS for two winters (Iowa) on the factory tires (Michelin) and it was pretty bad going. Normally, I would find myself turning off Traction Control (leaving Stability Control on) just to get the car going in light snow. Changing over to dedicated snow tires/wheels is night/day on the STS.

Also, if you're going to be out in heavy snow, consider putting weight in the trunk (~250lbs.). The STS (RWD) has relatively little weight over the rear wheels and is matched with 300+ HP. Even with snow tires you will find it much easier going if you use gravity to help with traction. :)

EChas3
06-22-12, 08:50 PM
The wide tires also lack traction on snow.

Ludacrisvp
06-22-12, 09:42 PM
The wide tires also lack traction on snow.

Quite true, as it's easier for the tire to sit up on top of the snow rather than cutting through it to pavement.