: Opinions...

shchow
06-02-12, 11:49 AM
Hello all.
I frequent AMG and M forums along with this site.
I find the members on this forum to be the most objective and in general the most knowledgeable about cars.
My current lease will end in a year (summer 2013).
I am currently deciding what to get next.
The problem is that we are also in the process of building a house, so budget may be of a concern.
The no brainer is possibly getting another V, but in manual this time (wife be damned, she ain't driving this one).
Others in contention are the F10 M5, CLS63.
Or possibly ZL1 or Shelby plus a second daily driver.

My issue with the V has been the fit and finish. That is the only reason giving me pause in getting another one.
The issue with the M and AMGs are obviously the price of entry.
However, I have been seriously considering getting the Camaro or Shelby and a second car for winter use. This option would
still be less expensive than the European options.

Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated...

Shih-han

baabootoo
06-02-12, 12:10 PM
I went through this same dilemma last year. If you want a 4-door, get the sedan. If I wanted a 2-door, I'd get the GT 500. I'm trying to deal on a wagon right now since I'd like more room.

nynd
06-02-12, 02:25 PM
Having had both Auto and Manual V, they are totally different animals to drive. Each has its own enjoyment. If your a "manual" person, you'll love it so much, you'll be making excuses just to get it out and hit the road. The E63 or C63 have higher entry points and don't come in manual so if its a stick your looking for, wipe these two off the map. Now, the F10 M5 is another animal. It is a refined vehicle and I find that the fit and finish (of what you can and can't see) is what your paying for. The retained value I think is higher on the German cars simply because of mindset. People see these old Mercs and BMW's on the road and there still kicking with no squeaks or major rattles. I mention squeaks and rattles because it seems our a mercian V's are known for this usually within the first year of ownership. The F10 can be had in manual but again, performance mods become a costly issue so all depends on what your after. Bang for buck, can't beat the V. Want refinement and the status of driving a "german" automobile, then you know what your choices are.

shchow
06-02-12, 08:39 PM
Yeah,
I'm leaning towards getting another V, but in a manual.
Glad to hear the experience is completely different than the auto...

thebigjimsho
06-03-12, 09:20 AM
I think the V holds its value much better than the Germans.

smiley47
06-03-12, 09:33 AM
If you're much over 6 feet tall be careful of the CLS. That gorgeous swoopy roof comes with a steep cost--- reduced headroom.

shchow
06-03-12, 10:57 AM
Hopefully, I won't be seeing much back seat time, lol.
One of my partners just ordered the CLS63.
Will see it sometime in September when he gets it...

nsaness
06-03-12, 01:28 PM
If you are unhappy with the fit, finish, and noises in your V (I am very happy mine BTW), then I am puzzled why you consider the ZL1 or the GT500. I sat in the 2013 GT500 at the auto show and my friend just got his ZL1. I would say the V is nicer than those two. Based on reading your post, I think you should go European.

shchow
06-03-12, 04:21 PM
That is indeed the dilemma with Chevy and Ford.
But, as everyone on this forum is familiar, power is intoxicating.
It becomes harder and harder to justify the 30k premium for the German offerings just simply based on finish.
And I usually place more emphasis on performance than panache.
Pretty much decided to get another V in manual...

JFJr
06-03-12, 06:40 PM
That is indeed the dilemma with Chevy and Ford.
But, as everyone on this forum is familiar, power is intoxicating.
It becomes harder and harder to justify the 30k premium for the German offerings just simply based on finish.
And I usually place more emphasis on performance than panache.
Pretty much decided to get another V in manual...Just the fact that the "V" is seriously considered alongside German high performance alternatives costing $30,000 more (excluding much larger maintenance costs) shows how far Cadillac has come in just 2 generations of super sedans. Excellent choice, you'll love the manual transmission; it's a totally different car.

Jud

Chrispy
06-03-12, 09:12 PM
I have a new 6spd Wagon and it's dead silent. I opted for base seats and no sunroof as those two options can cause rocking/squeaking and other noise.

The 6spd manual in this car is fantastic.

Cheers,
Chris

thebigjimsho
06-03-12, 10:00 PM
"Can" cause.

curvedinfinity
06-03-12, 10:21 PM
I have 3 GM products in my garage: the CTS-V coupe, Saturn Outlook, and Chevy Cruze. The Outlook has almost 10x the miles and 5 times the age and is holding together better. The Cruze is SOLID ... no rattles/squeaks/anything and it has seen a solid 3x the use of the V. The V is squeaky, rattly, and falling apart in various minor ways. So it's not something to do with GM, it's just the car.

But I don't care -- the V has me captured. It's like a stunning woman who likes to do mean things to test you, but the "performance" is so good you don't even care.

The car has mounds of soul and that makes it worth it.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-04-12, 09:00 AM
Great discussion, everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. :)

Shchow, if you have any questions on your future ride, please don't hesitate to send me a PM and I can investigate for you.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

JFJr
06-04-12, 06:28 PM
The car has mounds of soul and that makes it worth it.Now you've done it; you've showed how car guys look at cars. That's why we love the "V's"; everyone else is irrelevant. Let them have sorry electric cars. Ha haa!

Jud

hcvone
06-04-12, 07:04 PM
I got my ctsv's in automatics, they are daily drivers, and it's just easier with my wife, we have also SL63, M5, ZR1, Jag's and had M6's and Porsche's, the fit and finish are not really any worse than my Euro cars, the Caddy's are in the shop way less and don't lose ten of thousands of dollars per year like my other cars, and the placement of the controls are much more user friendly. JMO

neuronbob
06-04-12, 07:29 PM
Thank you for this thread. I am in the same place the OP is other than I bought my car. It is within 7k of payoff through aggressive financial planning on my part.

I am strongly leaning toward keeping my car since it has low miles at 37.2k and relatively few problems. However, I want to switch to a 6MT and a wagon. I have therefore been reading every article here from 6MT owners. I am also looking at the alternatives, including downmarket options like the Hyundai Genesis R-Spec (good straight line performance and up to 30 mpg in the real world) and the new F10 M5.

No matter where I look, the V is the best bang for the buck in the 4-door sports sedan world. However, I am very concerned about the quality issues. The increased reports of quality issues are either because they are more common in the newer Vs or, there are more V owners to make reports (more likely the latter). Either way, a little unnerving for me and making me more likely to keep me in my current car for another year.

Of course, if I were leasing, I would have a more urgent decision to make. The best thing about owning is that I can take my time and not have a car payment for a while.

Rule12b
06-04-12, 07:52 PM
For me it was the C63 or the V. I drove both. One was bigger, more comfortable, faster, got better mileage, more powerful, and handled better, the other was a Mercedes. I've loved Benzs I've owned over the years, but other than the stock exhaust note being near god-like, the C63 just didn't get there for me by comparison. Yes it creaks and such, but it's a monster ont he track, and great around town. I've never regretted my choice one bit.

buddyg
06-04-12, 10:21 PM
To me the V is the best looking sedan on the market. Throw in the motor, suspension and price and it can't be beat!

Doesn't hurt I added 150 hp for under $6000.00

curvedinfinity
06-05-12, 09:15 AM
Thank you for this thread. I am in the same place the OP is other than I bought my car. It is within 7k of payoff through aggressive financial planning on my part.

I am strongly leaning toward keeping my car since it has low miles at 37.2k and relatively few problems. However, I want to switch to a 6MT and a wagon. I have therefore been reading every article here from 6MT owners. I am also looking at the alternatives, including downmarket options like the Hyundai Genesis R-Spec (good straight line performance and up to 30 mpg in the real world) and the new F10 M5.

No matter where I look, the V is the best bang for the buck in the 4-door sports sedan world. However, I am very concerned about the quality issues. The increased reports of quality issues are either because they are more common in the newer Vs or, there are more V owners to make reports (more likely the latter). Either way, a little unnerving for me and making me more likely to keep me in my current car for another year.

Of course, if I were leasing, I would have a more urgent decision to make. The best thing about owning is that I can take my time and not have a car payment for a while.

The warranty is great so at least financially there is no impact.