: Engine block cracked - Northstar Performance, where are you ?

AkCaddyStS
06-01-12, 04:41 PM
Good day all,

Recently purchased 01 cadillac seville, long story short I need a new engine block.Ive been looking through countless threads and was wondering the best alternative to my problem. Ive been looking at jake from northstar performance. Anyone know if hes still in business? I'm located in Anchorage ,AK. I wanted to have a new engine swapped out since the cost of a new block would be around the same price. And I would love to have the peace of mind of knowing its done right the 1st time. I've been told just to cut my losses but ive fell in love with this car.i would even been fine with a engine rebuild seeing as i have a new radiator and a couple extras parts ive put into it.My plans is to fix it up and have it as my sunday car .

postman2000
06-01-12, 07:50 PM
He is indeed in business..Phone: 585-633-4600
Fax: 877-858-6971
Email: info@northstarperformance.com

AkCaddyStS
06-05-12, 06:50 PM
thanks I left him an email hopefully he will be able to respond and help me out with this problem.Anyone know any good places in Alaska,If i cant get in touch with Jake?And if your browsing this thread jake,could really use your input on my situation.

Submariner409
06-05-12, 07:25 PM
Jake has his own website. The load of Northstar engine blocks he bought from the liquidation of the Livonia engine plant were found to have mechanical problems - except for a few. He posted that info in here a year or so back.............

You can rebuild one of these engines to better-than-new strength. Either hook up with Jake or take a look at the work done by Carroll Custom Cadillac in Ridgefield, WA.

My99Eldorado
06-07-12, 08:36 AM
I paid a $2,000 deposit for an engine July 2011 that Jake has never delivered.

He has refunded $500 so far, but he still owes me $1,500.

Paul Flores

Faded Crest
06-07-12, 10:26 AM
^^^ I'd stay on him... Keep that squeaky wheel squeaking.

vincentm
06-07-12, 05:17 PM
Wow....

AkCaddyStS
06-07-12, 06:28 PM
^ hows that eldorado holding up for ya.how was your experience with ccc

vincentm
06-07-12, 07:12 PM
^ hows that eldorado holding up for ya.how was your experience with ccc

Its doing great, tim carroll is a good friend, small bump in the road throghout my journey with this car but CCC will take care of you.

ThumperPup
06-13-12, 01:32 PM
Jake has his own website. The load of Northstar engine blocks he bought from the liquidation of the Livonia engine plant were found to have mechanical problems - except for a few. He posted that info in here a year or so back.............

Sub about when a year ago did he post this i must have missed when he posted about the bad engine blocks that he got from the Livonia plant
i know my Block is one of the ones he got from them

i can't find the post and just wanted to find it and read up on it
wouold you help out a member with a link to thaat thread if you have it
thanks

Submariner409
06-13-12, 03:44 PM
"except for a few"................ I have no doubt you got a good one. I believe the problem was with final cylinder roundness machining. If your car still runs and the engine gets over 1,000 miles/quart of oil, don't sweat it. (And, according to your posts of that car's travels all over the east half of the U.S. during the past year, you don't have engine troubles.)

ThumperPup
06-13-12, 03:50 PM
yeah no issues what so ever other then the scary heating issue that i know is normal for the temp to get to the temp it gets to witch
i know i snormal but still freaks me out a bit

the QTs oil consumtion seems to be shity over the past year
not sure why but it seems to have gone down hill anywhere from 800 to 1000 miles a qt if im lucky where the first 7 months i was getting atleast 2000-2100 miles a qt not sure what the heck is up with that
no matter how many wot's i do even after the TEC cleaning the consumption still has not got better since end of last year

vincentm
06-13-12, 04:56 PM
just drive the damn thing pup

Submariner409
06-13-12, 06:51 PM
i know i snormal but still freaks me out a bit

Do you ever "freak out" at the slim possibility that one of your tires is not perfectly round or that you might have got a tank of 86.93 octane gasoline ?

If you're losing sleep over an engine that's been in the car for over a year and XX,000 miles, you have BIG problems - and not with the engine.

ThumperPup
06-13-12, 08:02 PM
Do you ever "freak out" at the slim possibility that one of your tires is not perfectly round or that you might have got a tank of 86.93 octane gasoline ?

If you're losing sleep over an engine that's been in the car for over a year and XX,000 miles, you have BIG problems - and not with the engine.

hahaha very funny

nope those things don't freak me out
lol

i admit i have more problems in my head then some do lol

97EldoCoupe
06-21-12, 07:27 PM
"except for a few"................ I have no doubt you got a good one. I believe the problem was with final cylinder roundness machining. If your car still runs and the engine gets over 1,000 miles/quart of oil, don't sweat it. (And, according to your posts of that car's travels all over the east half of the U.S. during the past year, you don't have engine troubles.)

Nope - the issue was with the main bearing bores. Cylinder roundness and hone finish is perfect. Some bearing bores are undersize- so they can be fixed. Everything else checks out 100%. A local engine machine shop has the abilities to re-bore these with a Rottler machine of some type (Rottler makes some good engine machining equipment, unfortunately I don't have one of these). I will have them do one and if they can get it right, I'll check all the blocks and find the ones that are out of spec and have them finished properly. Not sure exactly why I ended up with some that did not meet Q.C.....but nevertheless I did, just have to count it as a loss for now...

My dad has one of these blocks in his '01 DTS and in about 3,000 miles it burns about 1/2 a quart....(5,000 kilometers roughly). I built that one for him with all the new parts I could (new heads as well). My Eldorado is going through about a quart in 1,200-1,500 miles (the one I built just before Christmas). No smoke at all, ever. I'm quite content with that oil consumption. It's not difficult to keep up to, and I know those cylinders are getting lubed... why the difference between mine and his? Driving habits. I use the WOT every time my right foot gets a little itchy. My dad, on rare occasions.

dkozloski
06-30-12, 05:27 PM
Nope - the issue was with the main bearing bores. Cylinder roundness and hone finish is perfect. Some bearing bores are undersize- so they can be fixed. Everything else checks out 100%. A local engine machine shop has the abilities to re-bore these with a Rottler machine of some type (Rottler makes some good engine machining equipment, unfortunately I don't have one of these). I will have them do one and if they can get it right, I'll check all the blocks and find the ones that are out of spec and have them finished properly. Not sure exactly why I ended up with some that did not meet Q.C.....but nevertheless I did, just have to count it as a loss for now...

My dad has one of these blocks in his '01 DTS and in about 3,000 miles it burns about 1/2 a quart....(5,000 kilometers roughly). I built that one for him with all the new parts I could (new heads as well). My Eldorado is going through about a quart in 1,200-1,500 miles (the one I built just before Christmas). No smoke at all, ever. I'm quite content with that oil consumption. It's not difficult to keep up to, and I know those cylinders are getting lubed... why the difference between mine and his? Driving habits. I use the WOT every time my right foot gets a little itchy. My dad, on rare occasions.Jake, Tobin-Arp makes the best in line boring machinery that is reasonable priced. Their stuff uses single point tooling for the most part and it is reasonably easy for the average bear to get excellent results.

My99Eldorado
07-06-12, 12:33 PM
Jake has refunded my full deposit as promised.

Ranger
07-06-12, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the update.