: Speed limited to 120mph

Ludacrisvp
06-01-12, 11:32 AM
Yesterday while driving home for a brief second the DIC flashed the message for speed limited to 120mph. There was no warning noise or any other dash messages. Am I correct in assuming that this was due to something suspension related? Only saw it once and barely had time to read it before it disappeared.

curtc
06-01-12, 12:38 PM
Yes, speed limited messages are always associated with a suspension issue...

Ludacrisvp
06-01-12, 01:20 PM
Hmm. I guess this would explain why I was only able to hit 120 when the car silently decided to stop accelerating about 2 weeks ago when I had a chance to test it out. No DIC message at all before or during, it just stopped accelerating. It did not act like the DTS I had when hitting the top speed fuel cutoff. So I can only surmise that there is a suspension issue. Hopefully the service contract covers suspension related issues.

1BadCadSTS
06-01-12, 02:05 PM
Love to see the work order ahhaa. Customer states car cannot speed in access of 120 mph... Hahah

Ludacrisvp
06-01-12, 02:06 PM
Lol. I don't know if I will have it worded quite like that.

curtc
06-01-12, 02:50 PM
Love to see the work order ahhaa. Customer states car cannot speed in access of 120 mph... Hahah

Hahaha!

Ludacrisvp
06-30-12, 07:12 PM
Took it to the dealer a week or so ago to have some work done and had them look into this.
They have never heard of such a message on the DIC. They could find no codes related to suspension or otherwise on the car using the tech 2. They claimed to have called GM tech assistance to see if they knew anything about it and they didn't either. :suspicious:
So ideas on what's up with my F55 FE3 suspension?
It does silently top out at 120mph with NO message showing on the DIC, when hitting 120 it's like I just set the cruise, it does not behave like the top speed file cutoff that I had in the DTS.
Speed limited message is the only one I have seen on this car and it was only the one time but the speed is limited all the time.

Edit: according to alldata this should leave a code in the ESC module.

Electronic Suspension Control Operation

The electronic suspension control (ESC) system uses the information from other systems in order to execute certain functions.

The ESC system does not have a malfunction indicator lamp, but instead uses the instrument panel cluster (IPC) for the display functions. When the ESC system detects a malfunction that sets a DTC, the ESC system sends a message on the serial data line directly or through the powertrain control module (PCM) to the IPC, which will display one of the following messages:

SHOCKS INOPERATIVE
SERVICE SUSPENSION SYSTEM
SPEED LIMITED
The SHOCKS INOPERATIVE message will only be displayed if the ESC system detects a malfunction that sets a DTC and causes the ESC system to disable all 4 shock absorbers. The ESC system will send a message on the serial data line to the IPC to display this message.

The SERVICE SUSPENSION SYSTEM message will only be displayed if the ESC system detects any malfunction that sets a DTC. The ESC system will send a message on the serial data line to the IPC to display this message.

The SPEED LIMITED message will only be displayed if the ESC system detects a malfunction that sets a DTC and causes the ESC system to disable all 4 shock absorbers. The ESC system will send a message on the serial data line to the PCM indicating that all 4 shock absorbers were disabled. The PCM then sends a message to the IPC to display this message.

The ESC module has the ability to store DTCs as current or history codes. Most ESC system malfunctions will display a message in the IPC and set a DTC. The message will remain ON until the RESET button is pressed on the driver information center (DIC). As long as the DTC is current, the message will be displayed after every ignition cycle and the RESET button must be pressed to bypass the message.

The ESC system uses an ignition cycling diagnostic approach in order to reduce the occurrence of false or intermittent DTCs that do not affect the functionality of the ESC system. This allows for the fail-soft actions to be taken whenever a malfunction condition is current, but requires the malfunction to be current for a certain number of ignition cycles before the corresponding malfunction code and message will be stored or displayed.

If the ESC detects a malfunction, the ESC system defaults with a fail-soft action. A fail-soft action refers to any specific action the ESC system takes in order to compensate for a detected malfunction. A typical ESC fail-soft action would be if the ESC system detects a malfunction with a shock absorber.

1BadCadSTS
06-30-12, 07:30 PM
Askm to throw it on a lift and romp it up to 120 (assumin awd it should do it without issues on wheel speed abs and tc) and explain why it stops then.

Ludacrisvp
06-30-12, 07:38 PM
I recall people on the deville / Seville forum overriding suspension messages when they replaced active suspension shocks with passive ones... Does this sound like that behavior to anyone? (Could previous owner have done a resistor mod to cause this behavior??)
I may have to stop in on Monday and have them use the tech 2 in front of me and check out the ESC module.
Not sure if the dealer would want to take responsibility for possible drivetrain damage cranking it up to 120+mph on a lift. It is AWD but getting the drivetrain going that fast with no resistance on the components nor the added cooling of the high wind speed at that rate may not be a great idea.

1BadCadSTS
06-30-12, 08:41 PM
Is no resistor mod for f55 also no replacement other than oem.

KRSTS
07-01-12, 10:44 AM
Yesterday while driving home for a brief second the DIC flashed the message for speed limited to 120mph. There was no warning noise or any other dash messages. Am I correct in assuming that this was due to something suspension related? Only saw it once and barely had time to read it before it disappeared.

Rental fleet vehicle

Ludacrisvp
07-01-12, 10:56 AM
Doesn't have any history of that at least no RPO code that suggests it. It comes with the VR rated tires according to the door sticker. It does _NOT_ say that I have reached the speed limiter.

MacMuse
07-01-12, 12:50 PM
Check the RPO codes on the spare tire cover in the trunk. You may get a different story on what tires were installed by the factory. Factory sets the limiter at build time based on the tires scheduled to be installed on the car.

Fleet cars were commonly set to a 108 limiter with 112 speed rated tires mounted. Mine had the, presumably cheaper, 112 rated 235/50R17 Michelins factory mounted. That's right, not the staggered setup normally used on the STS. I've seen the limiter message on the occasional deserted country road.

A sensor or hub issue could cause faulty alerts resulting in the limiter message. But since your not seeing a message... hmmm

Ludacrisvp
07-01-12, 02:23 PM
Check the RPO codes on the spare tire cover in the trunk. You may get a different story on what tires were installed by the factory. Factory sets the limiter at build time based on the tires scheduled to be installed on the car.
Fleet cars were commonly set to a 108 limiter with 112 speed rated tires mounted. Mine had the, presumably cheaper, 112 rated 235/50R17 Michelins factory mounted. That's right, not the staggered setup normally used on the STS. I've seen the limiter message on the occasional deserted country road.

Hopefully this will help out...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8150/7480725834_29ee23476b_b.jpg

Tire Rack shows ZR W rated tires at being 168MPH rating.
Note that Tire Rack shows the STS V8 AWD as having non staggered setup of 255/45-18 for the "Performance Handling Package"
The only other option is a staggered setup for "17 inch OE wheels" which has sizes of 235/50-17 front and 255/45-18 rear ... wtf?
But if you choose the V6 AWD model you get 235/50-18 & 255/45-18

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8020/7480726834_6f960a8ed0_b.jpg

Service Manager accidentally put 130MPH, rather than the actual 120MPH speed.
The code they listed is related to excessive braking, found myself needing to avoid a Deer in the road during a time of the year we don't normally see any.
They cleared the code anyways and it didn't help with the speed limiter.
When this code that is listed is a 'current' code it disables the Cruise Control system as to avoid applying any additional heat onto the brake system.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7276/7480863092_bb2bf7e26c_b.jpg
I do have a service contract on this car that is of the short exclusion list type, rather than the crappy inclusion list type.

Mrsanders3960
07-02-12, 04:26 PM
I have a Silly Question, Were you driving 120 MPH? Kidding: I have an 08 STS Platinum edition and took it to a track day here at Texas Motor Speedway. It is limited at 120 and flashes the message on the DIC. If you were not in warp 2.5 at that time, I'd recommend having it checked out at your dealer...

dkozloski
07-02-12, 04:59 PM
My '06 STS AWD has RPO Q11 tires P235/50R17 FRT and P255/45R1745R17 RR and RPO Q13 wheels 17/7.5 FRT and 17X8 RR

Ludacrisvp
07-03-12, 01:45 AM
I have a Silly Question, Were you driving 120 MPH? Kidding: I have an 08 STS Platinum edition and took it to a track day here at Texas Motor Speedway. It is limited at 120 and flashes the message on the DIC. If you were not in warp 2.5 at that time, I'd recommend having it checked out at your dealer...

The first time I saw the message I was pulling in my driveway at all of about 3mph.
I did take it to the track and it just silently stops accelerating at 120mph. No messages of any kind just seemed like I got to 120 and engaged the cruise control. Didn't matter if I was in sport mode for shifting or performance mode for MRC each time I hit 120 it gently stopped at that speed. Not like the top speed fuel cutoff that feels like you punched a wall.

My '06 STS AWD has RPO Q11 tires P235/50R17 FRT and P255/45R1745R17 RR and RPO Q13 wheels 17/7.5 FRT and 17X8 RR
I see RPO Q12 on my list

Q12 TIRE ALL P235/50R18 FRT & P255/45R18 RR TIRE

RPO DESCRIPTION BUILD DATE: 2007-12-20
A45 MEMORY SEAT ADJUSTER, MIRROR, POWER, DRIVER & ENHANCED MEMORY PERSONALIZATION MEMORY MIR AND ST ADJ(A45) MEMORY PACKAGE
AL0 SENSOR INDICATOR INFLATABLE RESTRAINT, FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR INFL REST IND SENSOR(AL0)
AL2 CONTROL SEAT, POWER LUMBAR SEAT CTL,PWR LUMBAR(AL2) SEAT ADJUSTERS, 4-WAY POWER DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER LUMBAR CONTROL
AP9 NET,CONVENIENCE CONVENIENCE NET(AP9) CARGO NET
AQ9 SEAT,FRONT BUCKET,DRIVER,PASSENGER,RECLINING RECL FRT BKT ST,LUXURY(AQ9) SEATS, FRONT BUCKET
AT8 RESTRAINT PROVISIONS CHILD, RR SEAT, RR FACING RR SEAT RR FACING CHILD RESTRAINT PROVISIONS(AT8) CHILD SEAT RESTRAINT SYSTEM
AY0 RESTRAINT SYSTEM SEAT, INFLATABLE, DRIVER & PASS, FRT SIDE, ROOF SIDE DRVR & PASS FRT SIDE & ROOF INFLATABLE RESTRAINT(AY0) AIR BAGS, DUAL-STAGE FRONTAL AND SIDE-IMPACT, DRIVER AND RIGHT-FRONT PASSENGER AND HEAD CURTAIN SIDE-IMPACT, FRONT AND REAR OUTBOARD SEATING POSITION
B20 ORNAMENTATION,INTERIOR(LUXURY) LUXURY INTR(B20) WOOD TRIM PACKAGE
B9A VEHICLE GM - PROD WEEK 51
CE1 WIPER SYSTEM WINDSHIELD, PULSE, MOISTURE SENSITIVE W/S WPR,PULSE MOISTURE SENSITIVE(CE1) WIPERS, RAINSENSE
CE4 WASHER,HEADLAMP,HIGH PRESSURE HDLP WA(CE4) HEADLAMP WASHER SYSTEM
CF5 ROOF,SUN,GLASS SLIDING,ELECTRIC ELEC SUNROOF(GLASS)(CF5) SUNROOF, POWER
CJ2 HVAC SYSTEM AIR CONDITIONER FRT, AUTO TEMP CONT, AUX TEMP CONT A/C FRT AUTO/AUX CONT(CJ2) CLIMATE CONTROL, DUAL-ZONE AUTOMATIC
DCP PROCESSING DIRECTIONS & CONNECTIONS SERVICE PACKAGE DIRECTIONS & CONNECTIONS SERVICE PKG(DCP)
DD8 MIRROR,INSIDE,REARVIEW,TILT,AUTOMATIC,LIGHT SENSITIVE I/S RR VIEW MIR,LIGHT SENSITIVE(DD8) MIRROR, INSIDE REARVIEW AUTO-DIMMING
DR2 MIRROR,OUTSIDE,LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL,ELECTRIC, MANUAL FOLDING HEATED R/CONT HTD O/S MIR(DR2) MIRRORS, OUTSIDE HEATED POWER-ADJUSTABLE AND DRIVER-SIDE AUTO-DIMMING, BODY-COLOR
F55 CHASSIS CONTINOUSLY VARIABLE REAL TIME DAMPING MAGNETO RHEOLOGICAL VARIABLE TIME DAMPING CHASSIS(F55)
FE3 SUSPENSION SYSTEM,SPORT SPORT SUSP(FE3) SUSPENSION, 4-WHEEL INDEPENDENT WITH MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL
FE9 FEDERAL EMISSION CERTIFICATION FED EMIS(FE9) EMISSIONS, FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS
GU5 AXLE,REAR,3.23 RATIO 3.23R(GU5)
IL3 TRIM,INTERIOR DESIGN (IL3)
JE5 BRAKE SYSTEM PWR, ANTILOCK, FRT & RR WHL FRT & RR ANTILOCK BRK(JE5) BRAKES, PERFORMANCE 4-WHEEL ANTILOCK, 4-WHEEL DISC
JJB PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY NOT INSTALLED (MODULAR OPTIMIZATION METHOD ONLY) PLANT OPERATION(JJB)
JJD I/P SUBASSEMBLY NOT INSTALLED (MODULAR OPTIMIZATION METHOD ONLY) PLANT OPERATION(JJD)
JJL SUSPENSION FRONT NOT INSTALLED (MODULAR OPTIMIZATION METHOD ONLY) PLANT OPERATION(JJL)
JJM SUSPENSION REAR NOT INSTALLED (MODULAR OPTIMIZATION METHOD ONLY) PLANT OPERATION(JJM)
K59 CRUISE CONTROL AUTOMATIC ADAPTIVE ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL(K59) ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL
KA6 HEATER,RR SEAT REAR SEAT HEATER(KA6) SEATS, HEATED REAR OUTBOARD SEATING POSITIONS
KB6 HEATER SEAT, COOLING, FRT COOLING FRT ST HTR(KB6) SEATS, HEATED/VENTILATED DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER
KG4 GENERATOR 150 AMP 150 AMP GEN(KG4)
LH2 ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 4.6L/(281 CID), SFI, V8, DOHC, HO, ALUM, GM 4.6A(LH2) ENGINE, NORTHSTAR 4.6L VARIABLE VALVE TIMING V8 SFI
MX7 MERCHANDISED TRANS AUTO PROVISIONS, O/D, AWD (ALL WHEEL DRIVE) AWD A/TRANS PROVISIONS(MX7) TRANSMISSION, 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC FOR AWD
MYB TRANSMISSION AUTO 6 SPD, HMD, 6L-50 6-SPD A/TRANS(MYB)
N31 STEERING WHEEL HEATED HTD STRG WHL(N31) STEERING WHEEL, HEATED
NT7 EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, TIER 2 TIER 2 FED EMIS(NT7)
NV7 STEERING,POWER,VARIABLE EFFORT P/S(VARIABLE)(NV7) PREMIUM STEERING GEAR, ZF
P40 WHEEL 18 X 8, ALUMINUM, SPORT ALUM WHL(P40) WHEELS, 18" X 8" (45.7 CM X 20.3 CM) POLISHED CAST ALUMINUM
PDV V8 PERFORMANCE COLLECTION
Q12 TIRE ALL P235/50R18 FRT & P255/45R18 RR TIRE(Q12)
R6F CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 06
R8E GAS GUZZLER TAX
R9N CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 89
SLM SALES PROCESSING - STOCK ORDERS
T90 LAMP,SIGNALING AND MARKER(EXPORT) SIG & MKR LP(T90)
TQ5 CONTROL INTELLIGENT HIGH BEAM INTELLIGENT HIGH BEAM CONTROL(TQ5) HEADLAMPS, INTELLIBEAM
TT6 HEADLAMPS HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE HI INTENS DISCHARGE HDLP(TT6) HEADLAMPS, XENON, HIGH-INTENSITY DISCHARGE (HID)
U2K DIGITAL AUDIO SYSTEM S-BAND DIGITAL S-BAND AUDIO SYS(U2K) XM RADIO
U30 CLUSTER INST, TACH, CLOCK CLUSTER(U30)
UA6 THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM ANTI-THEFT(UA6) THEFT-DETERRENT SYSTEM, VEHICLE, PASS-KEY III
UE1 COMMUNICATION SYSTEM VEHICLE, G.P.S. 1 GPS 1 VEH COMM SYS(UE1) ONSTAR, 1-YEAR OF DIRECTIONS AND CONNECTIONS PLAN
UFL SENSOR INDICATOR LANE DEPARTURE WARNING LANE DEPARTURE WARNING IND(UFL) LANE DEPARTURE WARNING
UFT SENSOR INDICATOR SIDE OBSTACLE DETECTION SIDE OBSTACLE DETECTION SEN(UFT) SIDE BLIND ZONE ALERT
UG1 OPENER GARAGE DOOR, UNIVERSAL UNIVERSAL GARAGE DR OPENER(UG1) UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE
UJ6 INDICATOR,LOW TIRE PRESS LOW TIRE PRESSURE IND(UJ6) TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SYSTEM
UV6 DISPLAY,HEADUP HEAD UP DISPLAY(UV6) HEAD-UP DISPLAY
UY5 SPEAKER SYSTEM 15, DELUXE DELUXE SPKR SYS(UY5)
V03 COOLING SYSTEM,EXTRA CAPACITY EXTRA CAPACITY CLG(V03) PERFORMANCE COOLING PACKAGE
V4X MODEL CONVERSION GMX295, STS V8 STS V8(V4X)
V73 VEHICLE STATEMENT - US/CANADA US/CANADA VEHICLE STATEMENT(V73)
VH9 ENVELOPE,OWNER INFORMATION MANUAL OWNER INFO MAN ENV(VH9)
VT7 OWNERS MANUAL ENGLISH LANGUAGE ENGLISH LANGUAGE OWNERS MANUAL(VT7)
Y53 SALES PACKAGE TECHNOLOGY DRIVER AWARENESS DRVR AWARENESS SALES PKG(Y53) DRIVER AWARENESS PACKAGE
YQ4 INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM 012 INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM(YQ4) AUDIO SYSTEM WITH NAVIGATION, AM/FM STEREO WITH BOSE 5.1 STUDIO SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM, 6-DISC IN-DASH CD/DVD CHANGER AND DVD-BASED ADVANCED NAVIGATION
323 TRIM COMBINATION LEATHER, MED DK CASHMERE (3) (04) (323) SEAT TRIM, PREMIUM TUSCANY ALL-LEATHER SEATS
12U EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY (12U) PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, DK BRAHMA JEWEL MET (12U)
1SG PACKAGE OPTION 07 OPTION PACKAGE 07 OPTION PACKAGE 07 (1SG)
1SZ PACKAGE OPTION- (1SZ) SALES DISCOUNT PACKAGE
32I INTERIOR TRIM MED DK CASHMERE (04) (32I)
6SB COMPONENT-COMPUTER SELECTED,SUSPENSION SUSP(6SB)
7SB COMPONENT-COMPUTER SELECTED,SUSPENSION SUSP(7SB)
8XL COMPONENT RR LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP(8XL) SUSP(8XL)
9XL COMPONENT RR RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (9XL) SUSP(9XL)

z06bigbird
07-11-12, 02:49 AM
Askm to throw it on a lift and romp it up to 120 (assumin awd it should do it without issues on wheel speed abs and tc) and explain why it stops then.

Dealer will not do that. That high speed with no drag on the tires will likely cause the engine to come apart.

Ludacrisvp
07-11-12, 05:11 PM
I've gone to 3 dealers and they all look at me like I'm speaking Greek and some act like I'm there to get the governor removed. I've checked twice with a GM dealer to pull codes and both times they find no codes. The caddy dealer that I stopped at said they would look at it (pull codes if any and look at the TSBs and possibly do some basic testing / re-seating electrical connectors on suspension) they quoted me about 1.5 hours at $145/hr. I walked out the door at that price, but they did have 5 sigma STS car on lifts in their service department that i could see and 1 pulled in behind me too passenger side mirror and housing was hanging from the electrics though :( so they likely know the STS better than the Chevy dealer I normally visit.
I may consider going back there if I can get a code pulled that tells something but they didn't like the idea of a non GM service contract. I might have to try out the other caddy dealer near me but the history with them is about as good as the one I was at. I had them pull up the TSB for the 09-12 CTS-V with MRC that reports service suspension but doesn't leave a DTC behind that tells you how to do a suspension test with the tech 2 but they we're just like the CTS-V is such a completely different platform that there is no way that this TSB would apply at all. So likely whatever is wrong will never get fixed from a dealer. You start talking magnetic ride control at the dealer to the service guys an they Just have a glazed over look on their face, it's really irritating that dealers that should know their latest cars and options that they don't know what I'm talking about. Magnetic ride has been around since 2003 dealers should know it by now.

curtc
07-11-12, 05:52 PM
Hell, late 02 STS's were even equipped with F55...

Ludacrisvp
07-11-12, 05:53 PM
For what it's worth I unplugged the front struts at the top of the tower and no DIC message came up. I don't get a DIC message until the device was pulled off of the strut and was plugged in. When it was in the state of nothing connected to the struts with the little device plugged in I get a persistent speed limited to 80 mph message on the DIC. I did have to pull battery cables to clear this message after restoring connections.

Is there more than one cable per strut?
Do I have to pull trunk liner to get access to the rear ones? Or where are they located? I have to wonder if perhaps one of them is not plugged in or has a poor connection since if they are unplugged the car doesn't verbally care about it.

Ludacrisvp
07-11-12, 05:55 PM
Hell, late 02 STS's were even equipped with F55...

Figured I'd give them the extra half year since most people don't understand what a 2002.5 model year is. Likely of any service on them was needed it wasn't until 03 or later.

1harleyman
07-18-12, 04:26 PM
When my '98 sts's rear shocks went out, I disconnected the senser and put on a set of gabrial air shocks and from then on my dash has always read do not exceed 90 mph so its probably the same problem, $80 vs $600. I can live with the message, ride is still good just no auto leveling

Ludacrisvp
09-13-12, 03:53 PM
Update:

Was changing out Fog Lamps (and as per service manual the proper method is remove wheel and wheel well liner) and discovered what I believe to be my issue.
The front passenger shock looks like it may be leaking...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8041/7983402483_59b09c6cd5_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8307/7983407992_2db2479d85_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8451/7983408410_2ae01a238f_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8303/7983403937_d71a0de540_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8445/7983404491_bd14ace8d9_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8439/7983405003_f9ec66c567_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8304/7983405501_b617eda3f4_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8436/7983406035_c66fcc5188_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8313/7983411634_90d5b38363_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8437/7983407093_f665befed5_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8322/7983412887_44e3ecbefa_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8316/7983413401_2954b86923_b.jpg

Compared to the Driver's side:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8312/7983416188_cf96225bf2_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8446/7983411833_35b8fc5cbf_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8172/7983417308_fe3bd28ce3_b.jpg

Will be visiting the dealer this week and hopefully this answers the random speed limited message.

B1n2fra
09-17-12, 08:25 AM
Mines randomly says speed limited to 155 sometimes. I'm not to worried about it knowing thats the cars top speed but I kinda do wanna know why that happens.

DHspring
09-17-12, 11:37 AM
What a ripoff, I thought these cars were capable of 155 MPH, the V-8 NorthStar version that is. Last Sat. I had the dubious distinction of flooring my car on a open stretch of road in Houston to see how fast I could get it going, this sucker cut off at 108 with "Speed Limited" message on the message center. Are you frigging kidding me??? 108!! any GM V-6 will hit 105 and I have the W-rated tires on this thing good for 170mph, what a rip off!!! I'm pizzed about this. One guy on this forum told me a year ago that the STS V-8 would do it and he's done it. He was either lying or had his limiter removed somehow!!!!

Ludacrisvp
09-17-12, 06:44 PM
Service contract replaced the shock. The total cost was less than $900 installed with an alignment. (not what I paid just what the total would have been).

I've not seen the limited message since and haven't been able to verify if this fixed the issue and it may just be "in my head" but I want to say the ride is improved quite a bit.

Regarding the limited speed to 108... That is typical, your car may have been a rental / fleet vehicle, or I think the 17" wheels only had S rated tires on them.

There are methods to remove / raise the limit. Efi live or hptuners are 2 of them that I know. On a dyno one tuner tested top speed as well for a 2005 RWD model, speed limited at 165mph due to mechanical limits of the car (gearing in the transmission / rear end) in 05 it was also a 5spd rather than the 6spd used in 08+ for all models. I've heard the 07 v8 also had the 6spd but I cannot say for certain.

EChas3
09-17-12, 10:25 PM
The V's have the power to top 168 but at that speed there's a whole lot of drag.

1BadCadSTS
09-17-12, 10:28 PM
What a ripoff, I thought these cars were capable of 155 MPH, the V-8 NorthStar version that is. Last Sat. I had the dubious distinction of flooring my car on a open stretch of road in Houston to see how fast I could get it going, this sucker cut off at 108 with "Speed Limited" message on the message center. Are you frigging kidding me??? 108!! any GM V-6 will hit 105 and I have the W-rated tires on this thing good for 170mph, what a rip off!!! I'm pizzed about this. One guy on this forum told me a year ago that the STS V-8 would do it and he's done it. He was either lying or had his limiter removed somehow!!!!

You have a base v8. Limited by the factory tire speed rating. My 1sg has been to 148 so far still had some room left to play.

truckinman
09-17-12, 11:38 PM
Ine cuts off round 120-125. 3,6 tho. But I was disappointed at that tho. Lol. Had a 2003 eclipse GTS with only 210 hp but I don't think that car was electronically governed. Hit 140 in it once. My Lexus GS400 was good to 155. Never got that high tho. Hell my 04 jeep grand Cherokee V8 didn't hit a gov until 115. Lol. Granted it takes a lot longer to hit that than it does my caddy to hit it's top end but still. Was hoping it'd go more than 5-10 faster Thant lifted SUV with offroad tires on it. Lol

Ludacrisvp
09-27-12, 07:53 AM
For those following ... The message still comes on randomly after replacing the shock.

EChas3
09-27-12, 11:47 AM
Have the codes been cleared?

It's not a Canadian car is it?

EChas3
09-27-12, 11:48 AM
Dplicate post.

Ludacrisvp
09-27-12, 02:49 PM
Have the codes been cleared?

It's not a Canadian car is it?

That's part of the issue ... Even though the car shows it on the DIC and it stops acceleration silently at 120mph (even if the message had not come on at all during that ignition cycle) there are no codes.
I don't think it's a Canadian car... How would I be able to determine this?

I did notice that the fenders are rolled in... This would mean the car had some larger wheels at some point in time I would assume. Would that relate / contribute / indicate anything? Like would some one modify something else to avoid codes of some kind that might explain the issue?

cadillacmike68
09-29-12, 08:10 AM
Mine goes to at least 135, at least - i have that on good authority. :lildevil: But it is not a fleet / rental car. Platinums were not allowed to be ordered in conjuction with fleet cars. The limit is probably the drag induced limit of 155-160. that MT and C&D reported on back several years ago.

Most rentals did not have the W rated tires on them. Check CarFax to see in you are not certain, or check with your dealer and get a build sheet. it WILL show if it was a fleet order.

Ludacrisvp
05-25-13, 10:11 AM
The saga continues...

Saw the message again on Sunday and the dealer had my car for a couple days but they are unable to reproduce the issue. They say they're unable to find any DTCs stored in the car.

They have provided me with a J-42598-B snapshot device.
VDR CAN+ is on the side of it.

Hopefully the next time it comes up I will be able to snap it and that this thing will record something useful.
They claimed they had to get a new one of these since what they had "wasn't fast enough to record this car".

It has what appears to be a RJ45 Ethernet Jack on it, anyone know if it actually is Ethernet or if it is just using that connector as a serial port RS232 connection?
Would be interesting to see what it actually records.

carter's_sts
05-25-13, 12:13 PM
Weird that no normal codes are stored. When it shows up on the DIC, how long is it there for?

carter's_sts
05-25-13, 12:35 PM
Also just wondering, does it seem like anything triggers it, like rainy out or driving over bumps?

Ludacrisvp
05-25-13, 12:59 PM
Comes up for a few seconds at most. No real pattern of when.

carter's_sts
05-25-13, 02:03 PM
What a PITA. Hopefully the snapshot device can catch it.

ddalder
05-25-13, 03:18 PM
This addresses your question from quite some time back, but I didn't see anything since that suggested you ever got an answer. I don't believe that being a Canadian car has anything to do with this, however there are a few easy ways to tell (not sure if you've done this already or not). First, the speedometer will go to 240, not 160. Also, the Passenger Presence System indicator will display symbols instead of text. Finally, and the most reliable indicator, all Canadian cars have RPO "Z49 - Canadian Base Equipment".

----------

It has what appears to be a RJ45 Ethernet Jack on it, anyone know if it actually is Ethernet or if it is just using that connector as a serial port RS232 connection?
Would be interesting to see what it actually records.
I'm not certain on this device, however the Tech2 also has an RJ-45 connector that is actually a serial port.

Ludacrisvp
05-25-13, 07:39 PM
This addresses your question from quite some time back, but I didn't see anything since that suggested you ever got an answer. I don't believe that being a Canadian car has anything to do with this, however there are a few easy ways to tell (not sure if you've done this already or not). First, the speedometer will go to 240, not 160. Also, the Passenger Presence System indicator will display symbols instead of text. Finally, and the most reliable indicator, all Canadian cars have RPO "Z49 - Canadian Base Equipment".

----------

I'm not certain on this device, however the Tech2 also has an RJ-45 connector that is actually a serial port.

So nope, not Canadian.

The CTS V w/ MRC has a known issue w/ a TSB that talks about how it can have a speed limited issue as well that also fails to leave DTCs behind.
I've mentioned this to the dealer and all of them just say that car is too different from this so it doesn't even matter. I can't get any of them to give those steps any serious thought.

Ludacrisvp
05-27-13, 08:30 PM
Well the car decided to lose its mind tonight when I started it up to move it out of the garage to put the lawn mower away.
I was greeted with a slew of messages from the DIC. I did have the Snapshot device still attached so I grabbed 2 snapshots of this event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe7PbCic1lE

Service Brake Assist
Service Stability Sys
Radar Cruise Not Ready
Traction Control Disabled

Went for a drive like this, it felt like it does every day.
As far as I know the suspension system would be disabled in this state.
Today on the way home from work I swear the car's ride was better than it had ever been.
I have to wonder if most of my driving is done with a disabled suspension system.

Restarted the car after the drive, behavior of the car remained the same, except that T/C and Cruise worked again and no indications that these lights had ever been on.

Never did see it pop up with the Speed Limited message while those were ticking by.

.... Coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the first time I was lucky enough to see such a cool message... :-/

MoistCabbage
05-28-13, 12:10 AM
Figured I'd post this here.

A suspension issue on my generation Seville would normally trigger a SPEED LIMITED TO 90 message. But I, being me, got this:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m538/moistcabbage/66E3508B-CB1C-4D30-99FF-AA0F44BA50C9-2703-0000025D1A8B1DE4_zps7edb04ac.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/moistcabbage/media/66E3508B-CB1C-4D30-99FF-AA0F44BA50C9-2703-0000025D1A8B1DE4_zps7edb04ac.jpg.html)

Thought it was funny when I saw it.

Ludacrisvp
05-28-13, 06:07 AM
Lol nice. Sounds like we share the same kind of luck.

MoistCabbage
05-28-13, 02:05 PM
You have no idea... :) .

Ludacrisvp
05-28-13, 02:11 PM
So what made it limit you to zero?

EChas3
05-28-13, 02:14 PM
Try a different Cadillac Dealer. The service department you've been going to may not be as strong as you would think. It would be very rare for the DIC to report errors and the Body Computer not to store codes in history. That service department may not be up to the technology in your car.

MoistCabbage
05-28-13, 02:20 PM
So what made it limit you to zero?

The car was having an electrical fit, EVERY "SERVICE xxx SYSTEM" message, ~3 minutes worth of scrolling codes on the DIC, intermittent gauges, fuel pump remained running with engine off until a door was opened AND closed.

It was a severed chassis ground. The car WOULD exceed 0 MPH though. Lol.

Ludacrisvp
05-28-13, 02:33 PM
That is part of the reasons for this issue being so long lived.

I started with:
GM Chevy dealer (Miller Chevrolet) - My main dealer since 2004 for every car i've ever had and most of my family's cars too.
- unwilling to really work the issues seen, held car for weeks while dealing with GM Tech Line.
- Refused to put any parts in the car or attempt any solutions other than 'I wouldn't bother trying to fix this' type of attitude.
then tried:
Anderson Cadillac (now Morries Cadillac)
- they gave me attitude from the moment I walked in they made it sound like they wanted money up-front to even look at it, so I walked out (my family had previously purchased the 04 SRX from them so I thought there would have been some kind of a relationship formed that would have helped, guess not)...
then tried:
Cornerstone Chevrolet, which is my most local dealer (used to be Goulds chevrolet)
They wouldn't give me the time of day when I stopped in to see if they could read the code from my car during my Cruise issues, they wanted an appointment the following week when I explained it was intermittent issue and the other dealer I've been working with said to stop at any GM dealer and get the code read while its displayed on the DIC.
They didn't care.

Now at Ryan's Cadillac...
They have been the only one willing to work on the car, granted some of it feels like they have just thrown parts at it but at least they have been willing to do something!
I've been working with 'Jeff' as my service manager here, however as of about 2 weeks ago he is no longer working there; so now its almost like I am starting over again!
But this new guy 'Tom' seems willing to assist as well and agreed to try this snapshot tool / device since they weren't getting anywhere.

However my faith in him has waivered already as when I called him today and informed him of the video above he basically said 'well lets wait a couple more days to see if you get the 120mph message again' I responded with while I didn't see the message scroll by I can imagine that whatever killed all of those components would have likely also set a speed limit too. ... 'just give it a few more days to see.

Guy.Seminerio
05-28-13, 06:59 PM
@&$#%!!!!!!!! I HATE that crap from dealers. Gets me so damn heated!! I wanna throw my phone across the room right now.

EChas3
05-28-13, 08:05 PM
Talk to THE manager of the Service Department. Nicely but firmly explain and give them a chance to help.

Guy.Seminerio
05-28-13, 08:40 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/289812-horrible-experiences-dealer-care-share.html
If you're in the mood for a good story see my experience at the dealer with my v and how I got some kind of compensation after talking to the service manager.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-29-13, 11:37 AM
That is part of the reasons for this issue being so long lived.

I started with:
GM Chevy dealer (Miller Chevrolet) - My main dealer since 2004 for every car i've ever had and most of my family's cars too.
- unwilling to really work the issues seen, held car for weeks while dealing with GM Tech Line.
- Refused to put any parts in the car or attempt any solutions other than 'I wouldn't bother trying to fix this' type of attitude.
then tried:
Anderson Cadillac (now Morries Cadillac)
- they gave me attitude from the moment I walked in they made it sound like they wanted money up-front to even look at it, so I walked out (my family had previously purchased the 04 SRX from them so I thought there would have been some kind of a relationship formed that would have helped, guess not)...
then tried:
Cornerstone Chevrolet, which is my most local dealer (used to be Goulds chevrolet)
They wouldn't give me the time of day when I stopped in to see if they could read the code from my car during my Cruise issues, they wanted an appointment the following week when I explained it was intermittent issue and the other dealer I've been working with said to stop at any GM dealer and get the code read while its displayed on the DIC.
They didn't care.

Now at Ryan's Cadillac...
They have been the only one willing to work on the car, granted some of it feels like they have just thrown parts at it but at least they have been willing to do something!
I've been working with 'Jeff' as my service manager here, however as of about 2 weeks ago he is no longer working there; so now its almost like I am starting over again!
But this new guy 'Tom' seems willing to assist as well and agreed to try this snapshot tool / device since they weren't getting anywhere.

However my faith in him has waivered already as when I called him today and informed him of the video above he basically said 'well lets wait a couple more days to see if you get the 120mph message again' I responded with while I didn't see the message scroll by I can imagine that whatever killed all of those components would have likely also set a speed limit too. ... 'just give it a few more days to see.

Hello Ludacrisvp,

I apologize for the the dealership issues you have experienced. I am glad to hear the Cadillac dealership your vehicle is currently at has been willing to solve your issue with you. I do understand how it can be frustrating to hear back from the service department saying to wait a few more days. Please let us know how everything goes, and reach out to us with any concerns. We can be reached via private message to further assist you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

Ludacrisvp
05-30-13, 05:45 PM
Well I am dropping the car off tonight...
I hope that I was able to catch whatever it is that is causing this issue. They have 2 snaps to look at from when the car went psycho and one from a 120mph event. The car has gone psycho like this a few times since I've had it. Service just blamed it on winter roads even though the roads were not bad when I would see this. We shall see if anything fruitful comes from this.

ddalder
05-30-13, 07:38 PM
Winter roads? Really? Alberta easily has roads as bad or worse in the winter and I've never had a problem. That's just an excuse... and a poor one at that. I've spent quite a bit of time in MN, both summer and winter, and I don't accept that.

Ludacrisvp
05-30-13, 09:42 PM
Yeah I didn't accept it but they weren't willing to think it was something more than that.

The service department guys probably think I'm nuts for wanting this fixed.
The people at work constantly comment on how often my car is not with me, it does make GM look bad.

Constantly I hear "just don't drive that fast" ... or "you can't go that fast anyways so why does it matter?"
or they are uninformed and think its the 'governor' that I am talking about saying it can't be changed.
The STS's governor is higher than that for my optioned car, and a tune could easily change the limit but that isn't the point.
Something is wrong with the car, maybe its not actually the suspension or brakes or steering, but some module that is falsely sending error codes, or the car's network is picking up what it believes to be that message. Perhaps a faulty ground? or a bad suspension control module?

My answer has been "clearly there is something not correct with the car otherwise this message would not come up"
It bothers me since when this does come up the suspension system gets disabled and goes into passive only mode.
So what is the point of having this several thousand dollar highly advanced magnetically controlled suspension if it doesn't work?

EChas3
05-30-13, 10:27 PM
I agree 100%. You deserve to a properly operating car; that's what you purchased.

It may have already been covered but I'm still suspecting one or more wheel speed sensors, their connectors or wiring -OR - the brake actuators and corresponding hardware. These are the sub-systems common to all the systems that are actually reporting faults.

Ever reach out to EWill3rd on the forum? He is the best Cadillac tech I've met here.

ddalder
05-30-13, 11:15 PM
Yeah I didn't accept it but they weren't willing to think it was something more than that.

The service department guys probably think I'm nuts for wanting this fixed.
The people at work constantly comment on how often my car is not with me, it does make GM look bad.

Constantly I hear "just don't drive that fast" ... or "you can't go that fast anyways so why does it matter?"
or they are uninformed and think its the 'governor' that I am talking about saying it can't be changed.
The STS's governor is higher than that for my optioned car, and a tune could easily change the limit but that isn't the point.
Something is wrong with the car, maybe its not actually the suspension or brakes or steering, but some module that is falsely sending error codes, or the car's network is picking up what it believes to be that message. Perhaps a faulty ground? or a bad suspension control module?

My answer has been "clearly there is something not correct with the car otherwise this message would not come up"
It bothers me since when this does come up the suspension system gets disabled and goes into passive only mode.
So what is the point of having this several thousand dollar highly advanced magnetically controlled suspension if it doesn't work?
TRANSLATION: We're in over our heads and have absolutely no clue about how to fix this.

carter's_sts
05-31-13, 01:28 AM
You should stay on them. "Bleep" those guys. There is no reason you should have to live with an error message and a disabled active suspension.

Or try yet another place if these guys end up telling you to live with it. Something is broken even if it's very intermittent. Intermittent issues just take a lot of time and effort.

I mean has anyone even tried banging on things and wiggling wires and connectors?

I still find it amazing that there is no code stored.

:banghead:

Ludacrisvp
05-31-13, 03:27 PM
You should stay on them. "Bleep" those guys. There is no reason you should have to live with an error message and a disabled active suspension.

Or try yet another place if these guys end up telling you to live with it. Something is broken even if it's very intermittent. Intermittent issues just take a lot of time and effort.

I mean has anyone even tried banging on things and wiggling wires and connectors?

I still find it amazing that there is no code stored.

:banghead:

I agree and it is really exceedingly annoying.

TRANSLATION: We're in over our heads and have absolutely no clue about how to fix this.

Yeah pretty much.

Ever reach out to EWill3rd on the forum? He is the best Cadillac tech I've met here.

I haven't but I might have to do so.

Ludacrisvp
05-31-13, 03:32 PM
Got a call from them today.
Supposedly they have proof that the issues are being caused by the lock pick or the iPod integration system.

He said he will provide a document of proof to this fact when I pick it up.

ddalder
05-31-13, 03:54 PM
I'm sure this is entirely possible. Anytime something integrates with the data bus there can be unpredictable results. It will be interesting to see what is in this document. I guess the test is to remove all your aftermarket options and see if the fault returns.

Ludacrisvp
05-31-13, 05:14 PM
Sure seems odd that nobody has brought up the equipment before in all the dealer visits I've had.

----------

It is possible that it is the lockpick...

My first post on this thread was -> 06-01-12 10:32 AM

Here is my post from installing the lockpick -> 05-20-12 05:10 AM

So within 2 weeks of installation of the lockpick I started having this issue.

Well I installed the nu-STS which is the new STS lockpick made by PAC, this one uses the
SRCE button being held down for 4 seconds to initiate the switch to unlocked mode rather than the mute button method.
Works well so far, here are some pics and a video of the 'interface'.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7237/7228399240_b501250b07_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8013/7228398790_0ee5e5b8b3_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7076/7228399750_36e090824e_z.jpg

Here is a quick YouTube video showing the enable / disable / functionality of the unit.
Note my car is not running in ON mode at this point for demo, as I was in the garage at the time and didn't want the car running.

http://www.youtube.com/v/J4m1ojjdTco

I did not install the uPAC-STS until this post -> 09-20-12 09:06 PM (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/270442-initial-impressions-isimple-pac-audio-isgm574.html#post3092429)

So based on this info it is more likely that the lockpick is the issue since issues began shortly after installation.
But I suppose that it could be the uPAC-STS as well.
Not sure what I can do about the defective? lockpick though :(

I guess I will remove the lockpick only and see if issues persist with only the uPAC-STS and not both of the units.
Should be relatively simple, remove the nuPAC-STS unit and do the battery reset method and give it about a week to see if it comes up.

Anyone know if Tomm knows anything about this?
I bought it through his site and was shipped the nuPAC-STS ... not sure though; will update with the documentation as soon as I have it.

Side note: I already have 80,850 miles on her ... ~17k miles in a year.

1BadCadSTS
05-31-13, 06:19 PM
Not sure. I have a Tomm modified and no issues with mine.

carter's_sts
05-31-13, 07:06 PM
I also have the modified with no issues (2 cars).

Would be nice to hear from some non-modified users.

Ludacrisvp
05-31-13, 08:08 PM
So the codes found this time are:

C0561 (no sub-code provided but for each component there is the same sub-code in alldata??)

This code can apparently be for:
Power Steering --- Note I don't have active steering on my car, and neither of the messages displayed match mine.

DTC C0561 71
System Disabled Information Stored Invalid Serial Data Received

The power steering control module (PSCM) monitors validity faults from the steering angle sensor and vehicle stability control module (VSCM) via serial data.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The PSCM does not receive vehicle speed message or receives an invalid vehicle speed message from the VSCM or steering angle sensor.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

Active Steering is disabled.
SERVICE STEERING SYS and/or STABILITY SECURE MODE is displayed on the DIC.

-or-

Antilock Brake System --- I guess this must be it.

DTC C0561 71
System Disabled Information Stored, Invalid Serial Data Received: Electronic Brake Control Module, Suspension Control Module,
Power Steering Control Module, Steering Wheel Position Sensor, and Inertial Sensor Circuit/System Description

The vehicle stability control module (VSCM) disables stability control and or traction control when other electronic control module
and components set DTCs for components that affect the operation stability control system.

The engine control module (ECM), power steering control module (PSCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM), magneto-rheological,
real time damping (MR-RTD) module, inertial measurement unit (yaw rate, lateral, and longitudinal sensor), or steering wheel position
sensor (SWPS) diagnoses a condition which prevents the stability control system from performing correctly.
The source module will typically set a DTC and the VSCM will set DTC C0561.

The VSCM disables suspension and steering stability control or all VSES for the ignition cycle when the DTC is set.
Either stability secure mode or service stability message is displayed.
The antilock brake system (ABS) remains functional.

Diagnostic Aids

The DTC provides an indication that the stability control function is disabled because of a fault in another component.
All power steering control module (PSCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM) and magneto-rheological,
real time damping (MR-RTD) codes should be addressed first.

Circuit/System Verification

Verify that no DTCs are set in the PSCM, VSCM, MR-RTD, and EBCM.
Also review ABS wheel speed sensor, steering angle sensor parameters for correct readings.

U2100 Controller Area Network (CAN) Bus Communication

The GMLAN serial data circuits are controller area network (CAN) high and/or low speed serial data buses used to
communicate information between the control modules. Typical data transmission speeds must be high enough to
ensure that a required real-time response is maintained. There are two different types of GMLAN serial data
circuits, the High speed 2-wire circuit and Low speed single wire circuit. The GMLAN serial data circuits also
communicate directly to the data link connector (DLC). Messages are interpreted by the externally connected
CANdi module which acts as a transceiver for the scan tool.

Modules connected to the GMLAN serial data circuits monitor communications during normal vehicle operation,
where operation information is exchanged among the modules. All the modules on the GMLAN networks, maintain
a transmit error counter (TEC) and a receive error counter (REC).
The counter values increase with detected errors and will decrease with error-free messages.

The module setting the DTC has attempted to establish communications on the GMLAN circuits for more than 7 times.

The module suspends all message transmission.
The module uses default values for all parameters received on the serial data circuits.
The module inhibits the setting of all other communication DTCs.

---------------------------------------------

The document provided was Document ID: 3346638 / #13-08-116-001A
Aftermarket ALDL or DLC interface Devices causing multiple issues - (Mar 22, 2013)

Here is the outdated version from alldata:

Bulletin No.: 13-08-116-001
Date: January 28, 2013
Subject: Aftermarket ALDL or DLC Interface Devices Causing Multiple Issues
Models:
2006-2013 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks
Condition
Customers may comment on various issues with their vehicle related to high or low speed data bus traffic. These concerns may be widely varied, but some of the known issues are listed below.
Note
This bulletin is being issued with a focus on full-size trucks and full-size vans along with other fleet vehicles, but may apply to any vehicle.
Known Symptoms:
- The radio may not shut off after shutting down vehicle.
- Bus or LAN traffic may stay active leading to a discharged vehicle battery.
- Problems reprogramming modules either because of interference or the device will not allow the bus to power down.
- ONSTAR(R) may lose the ability to provide diagnostic data.
- Various engine and transmission performance issues with SES light ON.
- Intermittent driveability issues.
- Reduced power message and codes.
- Stabilitrak(R) message and codes.
- C0561 stored in the EBCM leading to a traction control issue.
- No high speed LAN communication along with various communication U-codes.
- Transmission may not shift for one key cycle (TCM in default mode).
- Erratic gauge readings or flickering displays.
- SES, MIL or CEL light set and numerous DTC communication codes such as U0100, U0101, U186B and U1862.
- Diesel power-up devices causing no power in 4WD low range.
- Service Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system light illuminated.
- Cannot relearn TPM
- Specific to Hybrids:
- Reduced propulsion power message.
- Service high voltage charging system message.
Cause
If nothing else can be identified as the root cause of the issue, check for a device plugged into the Assembly Line Diagnostic Link (ALDL) or Data Link Connector (DLC) for tracking and/or maintenance interval scheduling. Insurance monitoring devices, along with other electronic accessories such as aftermarket cruise control, or police speed checking devices (RADAR or LIDAR) may cause one or more of the concerns listed above.
Many of the problems described could be caused by an open connection on the HSCAN bus. Example: if the device only makes connection with one CAN +, then it will cause bus errors and erratic ECU behavior.
These devices may be removed by the customer for use in another vehicle while theirs is brought in for service. The intent of this bulletin is to identify a potential source of concerns that do not have other diagnostic methods to identify them.

EChas3
05-31-13, 08:14 PM
If you bought from Tomm, he will back it. In fact, I predict he will solve it for you regardless of where you got the Lockpick. I think he's that sort of guy.

There's federal law supporting your right to add aftermarket equipment to your car but they may have a valid point. Like suggested earlier, eliminate all non-OEM components. If it still happens, take your business elsewhere.

I too, suspect they are more concerned with getting rid of their problem (you) than correcting the issue. For all we know, they don't realize the STS has a separate set of body diagnostic codes.

Ludacrisvp
05-31-13, 09:35 PM
Details of the lock pick are:
Nu-sts
Rev 1.3.1a
Lot 001

cadillacmike68
11-21-13, 10:38 PM

Your 08 STS Platinum should have no such limit unless it was a state mandated thing. Do you have th W rated tire decal on your driver's door? My 09 STS Platinum has no such limit and it definitely goes way past that to the tune of 155 + . I have that on good authority.

Ludacrisvp
11-21-13, 11:18 PM
This issue still remains unsolved.

How does one diagnose an intermittent wheel speed sensor as has been theorized as part or all of the issue?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)