: Cradle swapping possibilities

Faded Crest
06-01-12, 09:56 AM
I have been enjoying working on my '98 ETC and with the money I have in it, it will be a keeper for sure... :rolleyes:

But with the experience gained and specialty tools I have bought for this job, I am planning to do more of this kind of thing. I posted in the Eldo/Seville section that I am planning to grab a wrecked but running/driving base Eldorado parts car (LD8). That will obviously be a great source for all kinds of parts plus a complete good running engine on the cradle.

My question is this... If I were to buy another Northstar project car with a bad engine, could I simply swap the entire cradle regardless of model? In other words, could I take this Eldo cradle and put it in a Concours? And if so, do all Northstar cars from '93-'99 share the same cradle?

Second question is other than losing the extra h/p and active suspension in swapping between an LD8 car and an L37, will there be anything else that will affect driveability? Obviously the PCM will have to be changed along with the cradle, but will that affect anything like the odometer? Will it cause any conflicts? I wouldn't think so, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks

Ranger
06-01-12, 10:49 AM
The LD8 and the L37 uses a different trans. The LD8 has a final drive ratio of 3.11:1, while the L37 uses a 3.71:1.

Faded Crest
06-01-12, 12:30 PM
^^^ I am aware of that, but if you swap everything, including transmission, axles, suspension and all... Pull the whole thing out, put a different cradle right back in... That's what I'm asking about.

89falcon
06-01-12, 01:02 PM
^^^ I am aware of that, but if you swap everything, including transmission, axles, suspension and all... Pull the whole thing out, put a different cradle right back in... That's what I'm asking about.

I know an eldo cradle fits a 97 STS.....I've swapped them....son discovered the curb on a roundabout in the snow.....

-Talk to a salvage yard, they'll know what's interchangeable.
-kind of a weird little thing, but an STS uses a different set of cradle bushings than an SLS....or Eldo.....so you will want to swap out the bushings.