: Exhaust out of alignment after dealership replaced faulty catalytic converter

DDS rollin a CTS
06-01-12, 08:41 AM
A few weeks ago my check engine light came on. I had the code pulled and found it was a faulty cat so I took it to the dealership since I have the extended warranty and they went on to replace it. However after I got the car back I noticed the exhaust tips no longer line up with the openings in the bumper. In fact they are so far out of alignment that the drivers side tip hits the bumper, rattles sometimes when the engine is running, and has actually started melting the bumper where it hits. I took it back to the dealership to see if they could fix the alignment issue since the tips were perfectly aligned before they worked on it. They are now saying that there's nothing they can do because I did the "muffler delete" mod and therefore the exhaust is not attached to the very back pair of hangers.

I don't feel this is an adequate explanation since the tips were perfect before the dealership worked on the exhaust. Also the service writer took me into the garage while my car was on the lift and I noticed the entire exhaust system is shifted to the drivers side along the length of the tunnel and may actually be hitting in several other places, not just the tip on the bumper. Does anyone know what would have been involved in replacing the drivers side cat that might have shifted the entire exhaust system to the drivers side?

I think its worth noting when I was arguing my case that I didn't feel the "muffler delete" had anything to do with the alignment issue the service writer told me I should just be glad they replaced the cat in the first place because "if GM knew you'd modified this exhaust they never would have approved the cat replacement."

perfect
06-01-12, 09:04 AM
That sounds like total BS. I have installed my own headers and catback and it really just took some man-handling and careful (read: hammer and pry bar) persuasion to get everything to line up correctly.

If it lined up correctly before than there is no reason it shouldn't line up correctly now. I have to imagine that the replacement catalytic converter is the same exact size and dimension as the one it replaced and shouldn't be pushing or pulling anything out of alignment.

Boiler Up!

DDS rollin a CTS
06-01-12, 09:45 AM
That was kind of my thought. The most likely thing I can think of would be either 1) the new cat is a slightly different dimension than the original one, or 2) if the headers were removed as part of the cat replacement and they were bolted on even slightly differently, that could pull the entire system out of alignment by the time you reach the back of the car. I also noticed the flanges of the exhaust on the drivers side where the exhaust bolts to the cat may be slightly bent possibly indicating they had to "tweak it" to get it to fit together. The main reason I suspect the header as a possibility is because I actually had to have the passenger side cat replaced a few months ago and when that was done they had to keep the car for over a week because they said they were having issues with seized header bolts and had to order parts. Does that make any sense to anyone who's changed a cat on this car?

I have one other issue unrelated to the exhaust but has me questioning the quality of work being done. Shortly after buying this car about a year ago I discovered that the rear passenger seat belt was locked in place and wouldn't extend. I took it to the dealership then and actually had to have the mechanism replaced twice because they replaced the first one with another broken one. At some point after that I noticed that the trim panel on the passenger c-pillar had come loose and was hanging down. I fixed it back in place a few times but it kept falling down again so I had the dealership look at that too and they found a retainer clip was broken and said the panel would have to be replaced. At first they tried to deny responsibility by saying they thought it had been more than a year since they'd worked on it, but I had them check and sure enough, it had been less than a year since the second fix. Then the service writer said he still had to get approval from the service manager before he could order a new part. He tried to take the service manager out of earshot to discuss the situation, but I still overheard him say that the tech that had done the work made a note that he noticed he'd broken a retainer clip when he was doing the seat belt repair, and instead of replacing the panel he tried to fix it with epoxy. My question here is, is this considered an acceptable practice or is it what it sounds like, a shoddy patch job to try to save a few bucks?

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-04-12, 01:02 PM
While I can't diagnose vehicles online, I'd be more than happy to investigate your concerns for you, DDS! I'm very sorry to hear about your frustration, so please PM me if at any point you'd like me to set up a service request on your behalf regarding your alignment worry. I'd also be happy to call the dealership to follow-up with the dealership further. If that sounds like an option you'd like to explore, please PM me anytime with the last eight of your VIN, your full name/address, mileage, and dealership info.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-04-12, 01:02 PM
Please excuse the double post! (I apparently double clicked. :nono:)

DDS, if you'd prefer to contact me via email, my email address is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

DDS rollin a CTS
06-04-12, 02:05 PM
pm sent

cts-v avino
06-06-12, 01:00 PM
I have removed the cat from my car and no it does not require anyone to touch the exhuast manifold I think it was just 2 or maybe 3 bolts. As for the alignment I would loosen all the bolts up to the exhuast manifold and see if there is any wiggle room so you can put it back. I have had bad experinces with mulitple dealers and am actually glad my warranty has run out.