: I can't believe it - I never thought I would.....

94danstang
05-31-12, 11:52 PM
After months of hemming and hawing, second guessing, heart palpatations, lightheadedness, etc, I finally did it. Puchased a brand new 2012 V. I am now official - not just a lurker.

I still don't believe it - that is a lot of coin to drop on a car. This is my very first brand new vehicle and I must say - what a trip. Every time I think about it I still have questions if I did the right thing - I mean the damn thing takes premium gas and eats tires. What was I thinking?!?!?! But then I hit the throttle and remember....

My wife and I spent Memorial Day test driving different cars and the V is the only one that made both of us say 'oh s#!+". We drove the V, an A6/A7, and a BMW 550i. I have pretty much owned American all my life - mostly Mustangs so I didn't know what to expect. I will say the Audi's were awesome. I can't believe all the technology in those cars - simply amazing. But the BMW simply bored me - not sure why - just didn't do anything for me. It was a close decision between the Audi and Caddy. But in the end, all that power sold me. That and while the Audi was nice - really nice - it is a dime a dozen out on the road. I see dozens every day. And it made me feel a bit old. I have only seen 4 or 5 V's in the wild this year. I like the idea of that exclusivity.

So anyway, sorry for the long post - just thought I would share. I attached a pic just cause that seems to be what people do. Hope it comes out ok! Thanks all!

DAN

Macvicar24
05-31-12, 11:56 PM
After months of hemming and hawing, second guessing, heart palpatations, lightheadedness, etc, I finally did it. Puchased a brand new 2012 V. I am now official - not just a lurker.

I still don't believe it - that is a lot of coin to drop on a car. This is my very first brand new vehicle and I must say - what a trip. Every time I think about it I still have questions if I did the right thing - I mean the damn thing takes premium gas and eats tires. What was I thinking?!?!?! But then I hit the throttle and remember....

My wife and I spent Memorial Day test driving different cars and the V is the only one that made both of us say 'oh s#!+". We drove the V, an A6/A7, and a BMW 550i. I have pretty much owned American all my life - mostly Mustangs so I didn't know what to expect. I will say the Audi's were awesome. I can't believe all the technology in those cars - simply amazing. But the BMW simply bored me - not sure why - just didn't do anything for me. It was a close decision between the Audi and Caddy. But in the end, all that power sold me. That and while the Audi was nice - really nice - it is a dime a dozen out on the road. I see dozens every day. And it made me feel a bit old. I have only seen 4 or 5 V's in the wild this year. I like the idea of that exclusivity.

So anyway, sorry for the long post - just thought I would share. I attached a pic just cause that seems to be what people do. Hope it comes out ok! Thanks all!

DAN

Beautiful car and great choice.

Houdini
06-01-12, 01:14 AM
Congrats on the new ride. She looks great.

TriTexan
06-01-12, 02:30 AM
Everyone should buy a new car at least once in their life...it's a bucket list item IMHO. It doesn't have to be a high-end luxury or sports car either, just a brand new, smells new, drives new car. And boy you picked a heck of a first new car with this one. Now get out there and whatever your job is, you gotta bring home some bacon now! Life is better lived earning a lot and spending a lot. Work hard, play hard. Or whatever cliche you like. However you phrase it, have fun. And that's the last time you get to whine about premium gas and tires that wear out fast...

You do have one serious advantage over me it seems...your wife appears to like the car a lot, too. Mine just isn't "into" cars the way I am. Oh well! At least she lets me have my fun.

airtroop01
06-01-12, 02:41 AM
Congrats... good choice

GM-4-LIFE
06-01-12, 02:42 AM
Congrats! Very nice! I hope you got a great deal on it!

Blakester
06-01-12, 07:09 AM
Enjoy your new ride!

cvs
06-01-12, 07:47 AM
Congrats on the beautiful new car. It was between the V and an Audi A7 for me too.

M5eater
06-01-12, 08:39 AM
the silver/graphite rims seems to be a popular choice for lot-cars. I can't say I disagree that it does seem to 'pop'

94danstang
06-01-12, 11:15 AM
the silver/graphite rims seems to be a popular choice for lot-cars. I can't say I disagree that it does seem to 'pop'

I will say that was the toughest choice on the car. The Tundergray was a no brainer, but just wasn't sure which wheels. I really like the way the polished wheels look and couldn't decide. The dealer had this combo on the lot, so we just went with it. Who knows - maybe in a year or so, someone may want to trade their polished for the black..... ;-)

----------

Thanks all for the kind words. I am really enjoying the car. There are some nitpicks of course - but they are just that - nitpicks. Although - if the Audi dealer would have had the new S6 in stock - the decision would have been MUCH harder. Maybe for the next car....

Thanks again all.

DAN

----------

Everyone should buy a new car at least once in their life...it's a bucket list item IMHO. It doesn't have to be a high-end luxury or sports car either, just a brand new, smells new, drives new car. And boy you picked a heck of a first new car with this one. Now get out there and whatever your job is, you gotta bring home some bacon now! Life is better lived earning a lot and spending a lot. Work hard, play hard. Or whatever cliche you like. However you phrase it, have fun. And that's the last time you get to whine about premium gas and tires that wear out fast...

You do have one serious advantage over me it seems...your wife appears to like the car a lot, too. Mine just isn't "into" cars the way I am. Oh well! At least she lets me have my fun.

No more whining - yes sir.

Yeah - my wife is pretty cool I will say. She actually pushed me into getting what I wanted - really wanted - rather than something that I would just be 'OK' with but perhaps a bit more practical. And she really likes the car too - however there is catch. Now I have to share...... ;-)

elphil
06-01-12, 02:05 PM
We feel your enthusiasm.

Xaqtly
06-01-12, 02:07 PM
I like your color combo, I think the black wheels look great on thunder gray.

quikag
06-01-12, 02:56 PM
The gray and satin black wheels look GREAT! I tried to do the black wheels with my diamond white sedan, but went back to the original polished wheels which I don't like either. I didn't like the matte black wheels with the glossy white paint. I would have gone glossy black if they offered it. Wish I had done your color combo in retrospect, but I'm happy overall with my '12 V sedan either way.

Congrats and enjoy. I'm only 1,800 miles into my 1.5 month ownership, but I love it every day. I said I wouldn't mod it besides tint, but I just ordered the airaid intake. Over 20rwhp and 20rwtq and a better blower whine for $330 shipped with no engine tune needed (maintain factory warranty no problem) seemed good to me.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-01-12, 03:18 PM
Congratulations, Dan! It's a stunning vehicle and it looks great in your driveway!

Wishing you, your wife, and your CTS-V many happy miles,
Sarah (in for Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

thebigjimsho
06-01-12, 10:42 PM
Looks great, Dan! Enjoy it!

shchow
06-02-12, 12:36 PM
Beautiful!
Congratulations and enjoy!

94danstang
06-07-12, 11:36 PM
So I have had the car about a week now and love it more every day. This is probably old hat to all of you, but I thought it was really cool. I dug into the manual today (yes - I actually read the book) and realized that the tranny has a sport mode. I always thought it was either full auto or use the stick in fake manual mode. Needless to say, I had a lot of fun testing out sport mode. Putting the tranny and suspension in sport mode, and turning off the traction control TOTALLY changes the car. I thought it was fun before - I can't believe it now. How come no one told me about this before! The down side - another 1/5 tank gone.... :yup:

stabie
06-08-12, 12:09 AM
Sport mode on the V is dramatically different than regular. Shift points are higher, but mostly, from a start, it uses first gear. Regular mode starts in 2nd gear, which almost makes it feel like it different car.

Trapspeed
06-08-12, 04:18 PM
Careful if you turn the TC all the way off. It's a great way to realize the limits of your driving ability at the direction of your right foot. The nannies will save your a$$ when you least expect it. Have fun though!

SecretWeapon
06-08-12, 06:08 PM
Dreams come true. Congrats.

SoCal_V
06-09-12, 05:10 AM
Excellent color combo--congrats & enjoy in good health!

V locity
06-09-12, 12:32 PM
Beautiful car! You won't regret your decision. Welcome to the club!

Trionalaw
06-09-12, 07:17 PM
The gray and satin black wheels look GREAT! I tried to do the black wheels with my diamond white sedan, but went back to the original polished wheels which I don't like either. I didn't like the matte black wheels with the glossy white paint. I would have gone glossy black if they offered it. Wish I had done your color combo in retrospect, but I'm happy overall with my '12 V sedan either way.

Congrats and enjoy. I'm only 1,800 miles into my 1.5 month ownership, but I love it every day. I said I wouldn't mod it besides tint, but I just ordered the airaid intake. Over 20rwhp and 20rwtq and a better blower whine for $330 shipped with no engine tune needed (maintain factory warranty no problem) seemed good to me.

Where did you get confirmation that the airaid intake would not impact of factory warranty? If that is true, it truly is a no-brainer.

Thanks so much.

Jim

midtown
06-12-12, 05:23 PM
Congrats. I've had mine right about a year now and I still go out in the garage and just sit in it.

Chrispy
06-12-12, 05:40 PM
Awesome Congrats! :)

RippyPartsDept
06-12-12, 06:12 PM
Where did you get confirmation that the airaid intake would not impact of factory warranty? If that is true, it truly is a no-brainer.

Thanks so much.

Jim

any modification only impacts the warranty if it causes the failure ... say you add an air raid intake and it's not installed correctly or a part of it breaks somehow and you ingest a piece of plastic into the intake and then jam a valve or something and then you've got a blown up engine

if the dealer looks at your car they can't just immediately say "well there's an aftermarket intake here - that voids your warranty" ... while some try to do that they can't

but if they look at it and find a broken piece missing or something else that caused the failure then you're on your own for that repair (and i think for any related repair in the future)

for reference look up the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

rbanshee1
06-12-12, 06:44 PM
Careful if you turn the TC all the way off. It's a great way to realize the limits of your driving ability at the direction of your right foot. The nannies will save your a$$ when you least expect it. Have fun though!

I agree

AGbulletJR
06-12-12, 09:29 PM
I too am new to the club, but didn't get mine new. We bought our 11 white diamond wagon about a month ago and I LOVE it, but more important my bride does too. She did not love my 03 Z06 that I had before we met. I will admit I cried the day I sold the Vette, but this is a way better car in all ways except for its appetite. Congrats on the sweet ride!

94danstang
06-12-12, 10:27 PM
Congrats. I've had mine right about a year now and I still go out in the garage and just sit in it.

HA! The first thing one of my buddies asked is 'how does it sleep?'

thebigjimsho
06-14-12, 09:49 PM
I too am new to the club, but didn't get mine new. We bought our 11 white diamond wagon about a month ago and I LOVE it, but more important my bride does too. She did not love my 03 Z06 that I had before we met. I will admit I cried the day I sold the Vette, but this is a way better car in all ways except for its appetite. Congrats on the sweet ride!

Welcome! A diamond white wagon sounds soooo sexy...