: Two Jobs, How to handle this properly?

HAZZARDJOHN
05-31-12, 07:18 PM
I posted this on the Impala site, but there are more professionals here so I think this would be a good source as well.

So I had made the decision to go back to Minnesota earlier this year, Mostly cause I can't get rid of my house and I am sick of being a Landlord. So anyway, I got a job offer today that is 15K more a year than I make now, but it is a boring job in Downtown Minneapolis (no parking so I will have to ride a bus halfway in). Now I got the job offer today and yesterday I got an interview for Polaris (as in ATV's and Motorcycles) in my home town of Wyoming MN. The money is about the same. I have dreamed of working at Polaris since it opened my senior year. Scotty (2tonBuick) has got an insider there so I have a great chance of getting it.

My Question is, I don't want to turn down the Minneapolis offer as it is a great job, but I really want the Polaris job. I have til Monday to accept the offer and my interview is on Monday also. Would it be wrong to take the job hoping that I get the other before my first day? I would be wasting their time, but if I turn it down and don't get the Polaris job then I am wasting mine. What is the correct protocol?

Thanks

~HJ

talismandave
05-31-12, 08:43 PM
First of all my compliments to you. You must be a very good person. Not only because you raise this question to begin with, but because with jobs as hard to come by as they are, to have two companies interested in you, says a lot about you!
Next, I am no professional, closest I came was the five years I worked at Menards I hired and fired for my dept. My ex-wife of nine years was an HR manager.
I would advise you to try to delay the start at the first job. Since the position requires relocation you would have many reasons you could use to explain the delay. If you can not get them to give you an extra week to get things wrapped up where you are, then I think I would start at the job and let the chips fall where they will.
You never know, after the first week or two at the job, you may find some hidden advantages to it. In another thread I was saying that some of the best things to ever happen to me career wise were a surprise to me! You never know until you try. You would not be the first person to try a job and not find it to your liking and leave after a couple of weeks. It isn't a great thing, but it happens.
In the end you must follow your heart, money is nothing if it isn't accompanied with happiness. If the company had a change of fortune a week after you are hired and needed to make cuts, they won't keep you on because you moved there to work. It is just a reality of business. Things happen and sometime it is unpleasant, but life goes on. Or so it seems to me.

HAZZARDJOHN
05-31-12, 09:07 PM
Thanks, I am not sure if I am a good candidate or I just have an in Demand career. I have five years of experience designing electrical substations and we are a select few, it's boring as hell though. The other job I got is at a utility company designing substations and I knew I had it when they called me cause it is a hot position to be in with all the bogus "green" energy boondoggles going on in Minnesota right now. Lots of job demand and limited supply of qualified applicants. Polaris on the other hand I am not sure why they are hiring, but I am glad they are.

orconn
05-31-12, 09:38 PM
I have to agree with Dave, try to delay accepting the first job (although they may balk because of their needs), if that fails take the job and see how the other job situation pans out. If you really think you would enjoy the other job and it is offered, you can always quit to go to the job you really want.

Dave's analogy about if the hiring company had a change of plans and had to fire you soon after it hired you, they would do so. The same goes if you have a better offer to work somewhere else. You own employment self interest should be your guide. If you are lucky enough to be in demand sue the situation to do what's best for yourself.

Ranger
05-31-12, 10:16 PM
Two things to consider that you did not mention, benefits and future potential.

drewsdeville
05-31-12, 10:34 PM
Both are overlooked far to often. They can EASILY outweigh a relatively small $15k in wage.

HAZZARDJOHN
06-01-12, 01:00 AM
an additional 15K in wages pays my mortgage. Not something I would call small, that would be life changing. I know both companies, the utility company I have worked for and there really is no advancement, you do the same thing for 30 years, increase your salary and retire. Maybe if I wanted to (Which I don't) I could be a team lead. Polaris, who knows. Benefits are equal (lousy) as all jobs are since the ObamaCare passed. High deductible healthcare for what I was paying for low deductible health care three years ago. That is the same industry wide. Thankfully I have an HSA, and as far as retirement, I have that handled, I will not have to work when I am fifty, I probably still will, but I won't have to.

77CDV
06-01-12, 01:34 AM
So, as I see it, you have a definite job and a maybe. Try to put off the definite job for perhaps a week or two, with the explanation that you have to tie up a few things in SD before you can return to MN. If that's not possible, then I would take the for sure job, but keep your options open with Polaris. If it works out, feel free to jump ship. This is what employment at will is all about.

And congrats on your embarassment of riches in the job department! :D

hueterm
06-01-12, 11:18 AM
If you can't stall them, take it. IF the Polaris job happens, and it's worth the risk, then move.

You'll likely burn that bridge, but you'll need to factor that into your decision.

----------

However, the whole downtown/riding the bus thing... That would be a near deal breaker for me... JMHO

HAZZARDJOHN
06-04-12, 07:43 PM
Good news! Got the Polaris Job, that is 9 Interviews and 8 offers since I graduated college. I rock at interviews. Anyhoo, I am awesoming all over the place, can't wait to start, the place was amazing, the pay is great and the job is something I am passionate about. I will be designing off road toys! Can't wait to start.

orconn
06-04-12, 07:45 PM
Congratulations, John!

gdwriter
06-04-12, 09:04 PM
Fantastic!

MotownPimp
06-04-12, 09:11 PM
Nice to see a good ending to a job situation in this economy.

Congrats.

77CDV
06-04-12, 10:55 PM
Very well done. Congratulations! :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-05-12, 12:25 AM
Good news! Got the Polaris Job, that is 9 Interviews and 8 offers since I graduated college. I rock at interviews. Anyhoo, I am awesoming all over the place, can't wait to start, the place was amazing, the pay is great and the job is something I am passionate about. I will be designing off road toys! Can't wait to start.

It's great to have your dream job. Ask me how I know. ;)

Aron9000
06-05-12, 12:52 AM
Congrats on the dream job!!!!!

From the sound of it, you would've been miserable taking the other job.

brandondeleo
06-05-12, 11:22 PM
Great! Congratulations! You're making me feel a tad bit dissatisfied with my job. :lol:

CadillacLuke24
06-07-12, 04:13 PM
How do you know, Chad? :D