: New buyer, what issues or problems should I look for?

Chutoy
05-31-12, 04:11 PM
I just started looking into the CTS V from 2004 thru 2007. What problems do current owners have or items I should avoid?
Any information would be much appreciated.

Bigtuna819
05-31-12, 04:46 PM
well heres a few...
Interior:
peeling nav buttons,
service stability control - message on the DIC
Driver's heated seat not working
rear sail panels clips broken
cruise control not working
shifter bushings shot

Exterior:
Radiator cracked/Leaking from the top (plastic)
Rear diff whine
clunking from suspension

I'm sure someone else will chime in with some others...

----------

bad motor mounts(car will shake when turning off engine) & trans mounts
Mine will occasional pop out of 2nd gear when downshifting from 3rd (60k mi on mine)
highly recommend ditching the dual mass flywheel and get a ls7clutch

GDPossehl
06-01-12, 12:42 AM
The little things ad up quickly. Keep track of it and you'll find yourself 5 g's into it in no time.

Tires, motor mounts, bushings, brakes, fluids, clutch, spare key(s), spare tire/wheel, nav disc, a window regulator, shifter upgrade, etc... these pigs aren't cheap.

JDB
06-01-12, 01:14 PM
All assuming if you buy one from someone who hasn't addressed these things. Watch the classifieds here for enthusiast owned vehicles, imo, versus random Autotrader ads. But then again, they may ask for more $ for it since they spent the money into it.

Common problem to really look out for is if it has Gen4 rear diff, which many have been upgraded on the '04-05 model. My '05 has it thanks to CPO warranty and simply complaining about diff whine.

Nothing else is really a concern if the car was maintained. But you will do a few things to make it a better car that add up quickly....just none are as $$$ as the diff. But don't abuse the early diffs and you'll be fine anyway. Buy whichever one has the lowest miles + best maintenance record for the $.

Wasn't there a sticky for this FAQ?

SVT Lurch
06-10-12, 09:17 PM
Wasn't there a sticky for this FAQ?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html

Carnut_s
06-10-12, 10:00 PM
I got lucky when I recently bought my 07 with 40K miles. I purchased it through a GM dealer where I was given a 2 year power train warranty, 6 months free On Star, XM radio subsciption and 100 minutes of free calling through the On Star. The best part was they gave me a copy of all the work the car had done under warranty. From day one it showed me all the little things the car had done as well as the common issues like motor mounts and pinion seal replacement. I know I could have gotten a better deal from a private party but all the info and the warranty was worth it. The only drawback was I never check the spare tire compartment for a spare and the car didnít have run flats on it. Whoever traded it in went with standard tires when they replaced the stock tires. See if the car has run flats before you negotiate a price. Very happy with my car so far.

2007ThunderV
06-10-12, 10:19 PM
run flats were probably taken off beause the are hard as a rock. i would just get a spare wheel and put it in the trunk

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-11-12, 01:58 PM
Chutoy, I just saw this thread and wanted to let you know I'm available if you still have questions about specific model year you're considering. I'm always just an email away at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com, and I'm happy to investigate on your behalf.

I see there is already plenty of informative feedback from the community, and I hope you're enjoying your car shopping so far!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

06BlackV
06-12-12, 09:02 AM
Theres a whole list of things , a few major ones listed above. I would also listen for bottom end noise that could indicate a well used motor. (knocking, tapping, etc). When shifting into gear(assuming a clean shift) , if the car jerks/clunks, it could indicate trans/diff/motor mounts going bad. Ask for maintenance records also.