: Auto tranny downshifts while cruising in sport mode?

TriTexan
05-31-12, 04:16 PM
Was driving in to work today and had the auto trans in sport mode. Yesterday I had problems getting it to go into sport mode at all...it just staying in normal despite moving the shifter. Today in sport mode, it started making multiple downshifts while cruising at a constant speed. It went from 6th to 5th, then to 4th and then 3rd at 50-60mph for apparently no reason. The engine revs bumped up to the 4-5k rpm range to match, but I certainly wasn't asking for any acceleration. Anyone seen this before? It felt very unsafe to have those kinds of downshifts happening at random...

V Wagon
05-31-12, 04:36 PM
In sport mode you don't have to be trying to accelerate to down shift. I'm not totally certain on what all the parameters are and all. But once it has sensed a certain lateral acceleration level when in sport mode it will down shift on decel for engine braking, like you would with a manual trans if you were racing on a track. So if you weren't actually doing a completely constant speed and were actually slowing down at all, in sport mode, and had recently driven around a corner aggresively, it is completely normal for it to be down shifting.

----------

And come on now with the unsafe business. What is unsafe about that? Maybe annoying with the engine noise at higher RPM when you weren't expecting it. But it certainly isn't putting you in any danger.

TriTexan
05-31-12, 04:45 PM
In sport mode you don't have to be trying to accelerate to down shift. I'm not totally certain on what all the parameters are and all. But once it has sensed a certain lateral acceleration level when in sport mode it will down shift on decel for engine braking, like you would with a manual trans if you were racing on a track. So if you weren't actually doing a completely constant speed and were actually slowing down at all, in sport mode, and had recently driven around a corner aggresively, it is completely normal for it to be down shifting.

----------

And come on now with the unsafe business. What is unsafe about that? Maybe annoying with the engine noise at higher RPM when you weren't expecting it. But it certainly isn't putting you in any danger.

Anything the car does on it's own that the driver isn't expecting is potentially unsafe. And trust me, I have plenty of experience not to be dissheveled by a little engine noise. But 3 downshifts in a row while traveling straight and level at a constant speed with no brake or throttle input is normal? I don't think so.

I would not waste your time whining about something like proper downshifts due to lateral accel, which is exactly what I would expect. There is definitely something wrong. If I can reproduce on the way home, I'll try and catch some video with the cell phone and post for reference. I realize it's easy to assume that I just don't know what I am doing or that a little engine noise can scare some drivers. But give us V drivers a tad more credit, k?

V Wagon
05-31-12, 05:00 PM
I was just trying to rule out the possibility of it actually doing sport mode things, they can act sort of funny if you have been driving aggressively and stop doing so but still have it in sport mode.

Maybe there is an issue with the shifter knowing where it is? If you moved the shifter over to the sport position previously and it didn't register, and now it sequentially downshifted, presumably to the lowest gear permissable at the speed you were going, maybe it thought the shifter was in the downshift position and proceeded downshifting.

TriTexan
05-31-12, 05:37 PM
Maybe there is an issue with the shifter knowing where it is? If you moved the shifter over to the sport position previously and it didn't register, and now it sequentially downshifted, presumably to the lowest gear permissable at the speed you were going, maybe it thought the shifter was in the downshift position and proceeded downshifting.

I considered that - I tried bumping it to the + and - positions while in sport mode. In some cases it responds and some it does not. I need to check it again when I drive home...hopefully a one-time occurrence that doesn't resurface.

Pphilthy
05-31-12, 06:48 PM
I considered that - I tried bumping it to the + and - positions while in sport mode. In some cases it responds and some it does not. I need to check it again when I drive home...hopefully a one-time occurrence that doesn't resurface.

If it's not responding to your inputs to the + & - positions, you just answered your own question, it's not working properly and you should be calling the dealer to make a service appointment...

V Wagon
06-01-12, 09:04 AM
Kind of my thought too, I've never had one not respond at all to a +/- shifter input, even if that response is a DIC message that says "Shift Denied"

TriTexan
06-04-12, 11:55 AM
Well I dropped the V off at the dealer this morning to have the phantom tranny shifts looked at. Fortunately I was able to reproduce the problem for the service manager. Unfortunately, it didn't seem the service manager (the head of the dept, not some random employee) knew how the Sport Mode is supposed to work. He seemed to think that once I bumped the shifter to the right to select sport mode, the tranny was supposed to be full manual. Only after he saw the transmission shift itself in Sport Mode (and then begin crazy random downshifts and upshifts) did he grasp that there was a problem. Even more concerning is that the tranny in the CTS loaner they gave me (which was dirty and smelled funny even though it has only 6k miles on it) operates exactly the same way with Sport Mode, so you'd think the service guys would be familiar with this. They aren't I guess...which just adds to my low confidence about their ability to properly fix the problem.

And unfortunately, I didn't do as others have recommended and check the tread depth and such before leaving it. I just left the house in a hurry this morning to get to work. But I at least noted the fuel and mileage, so hopefully I won't have to post one of those crazy stories about joyriding by the techs like others have had to do.

Katie: Some feedback for corporate - if it's your job to fix Cadillacs for a living, you shouldn't have a customer with only 30 days of experience with his/her new car teaching the service manager how the car works. It makes "New Standard of the World" look foolish...nothing personal, but if you are going to make such a claim, you really do need to be able to back it up.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-04-12, 04:31 PM
Thanks for alerting me, TriTexan! I've recorded your feedback where GM departments can access it, and please feel free to PM me anytime for further assistance. I'm very sorry to hear about your disappointment, and I would be happy to follow up with this dealership anytime on your behalf, if you wish.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

TriTexan
06-04-12, 09:56 PM
Thanks for alerting me, TriTexan! I've recorded your feedback where GM departments can access it, and please feel free to PM me anytime for further assistance. I'm very sorry to hear about your disappointment, and I would be happy to follow up with this dealership anytime on your behalf, if you wish.

Best,

Katie

Thanks Katie - I don't think any follow up is needed at this time. Just the fact that you acknowledged my post and passed the feedback along is much appreciated. We'll see how the car comes back - it's been at the dealer all day and no status update. At least I have something to drive while they work on it.

BigDog001
06-04-12, 10:40 PM
Thanks Katie - I don't think any follow up is needed at this time. Just the fact that you acknowledged my post and passed the feedback along is much appreciated. We'll see how the car comes back - it's been at the dealer all day and no status update. At least I have something to drive while they work on it.

When I was installing he shiift paddles that I ordered from this website (which work great) I had a problem when I first put them in -- when I pushed the gear shift to sport -- the car started to do its own thing in shifting up and down -- I adjusted the paddle shifters and it went away -- I think one was short of stuck at first. My point is that maybe the problem is in the steering wheel and the shift buttons -- just a thought.

TriTexan
06-06-12, 12:33 PM
When I was installing he shiift paddles that I ordered from this website (which work great) I had a problem when I first put them in -- when I pushed the gear shift to sport -- the car started to do its own thing in shifting up and down -- I adjusted the paddle shifters and it went away -- I think one was short of stuck at first. My point is that maybe the problem is in the steering wheel and the shift buttons -- just a thought.

I guess anything is possible - but I've used the button shifters quite extensively in both normal and sport mode and never noticed any issues. But I see your point - it's quite possible the problem exists there.

Anyway, it's 3 days in and my ride is still sitting at the dealer awaiting parts. I'm going to be pretty disappointed if they've ordered a part and install it and it doesn't fix the problem. Plus, I just don't like the idea of those guys monkeying around with the car - half the time I feel like they are guessing at the problem and just swapping parts out until the problem goes away...

tbauer
06-06-12, 04:08 PM
^^^ agreed

TriTexan
06-06-12, 08:28 PM
Well, the car is back. Looks like they had to replace the entire shifter/transmission control unit in the center console. It looks like they did a decent job as far as I can tell. No obvious signs that anything has been done with the exception of some fumes from some kind of glue or sealant that was apparently used in the process. The item replaced is item 12 on the diagram below, which I am assuming is the entire assembly from the leather shifter cover (#10) on down. The tech noted he did find a switch stuck in the open position and everything seems to be shifting fine now. My only complaint was that they washed my car despite my request that they not - no big deal except that they did a terrible job of wiping it down..left a lot of residue behind and tons of little water spots since they didn't do it properly. No big deal really. My biggest issue is that some big sweaty guy (really super nice, but super sweaty) pulled my car around. When I went to get in, the seat was wet with his sweat! Yuck. Unfortunately I was already late for an appointment and didn't feel like yelling at the service manager - but it will definitely be reflected if I get any sort of survey or feedback request.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/0807146D04-102.JPG

tbauer
06-06-12, 09:56 PM
Good to see that it got worked out. Where did you get the exploded view image from? Is it something we could all access for other parts of the car also?

Rockey
06-06-12, 10:07 PM
Where did you get that parts diagram? Im putting a transmission in my V and a parts diagram would be great.

Well, the car is back. Looks like they had to replace the entire shifter/transmission control unit in the center console. It looks like they did a decent job as far as I can tell. No obvious signs that anything has been done with the exception of some fumes from some kind of glue or sealant that was apparently used in the process. The item replaced is item 12 on the diagram below, which I am assuming is the entire assembly from the leather shifter cover (#10) on down. The tech noted he did find a switch stuck in the open position and everything seems to be shifting fine now. My only complaint was that they washed my car despite my request that they not - no big deal except that they did a terrible job of wiping it down..left a lot of residue behind and tons of little water spots since they didn't do it properly. No big deal really. My biggest issue is that some big sweaty guy (really super nice, but super sweaty) pulled my car around. When I went to get in, the seat was wet with his sweat! Yuck. Unfortunately I was already late for an appointment and didn't feel like yelling at the service manager - but it will definitely be reflected if I get any sort of survey or feedback request.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/0807146D04-102.JPG

TriTexan
06-06-12, 10:12 PM
Good to see that it got worked out. Where did you get the exploded view image from? Is it something we could all access for other parts of the car also?

I went to Google, searched for the part number on my paperwork, and found it here: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=376561 I'm not sure what else you could glean from their site...but if you want other views, you should be able to find them online using image searching. I found this one pretty quickly, but I think it helps to know an exact part or other identifier to narrow in quickly.

V locity
06-07-12, 01:02 AM
My biggest issue is that some big sweaty guy (really super nice, but super sweaty) pulled my car around. When I went to get in, the seat was wet with his sweat! Yuck. Unfortunately I was already late for an appointment and didn't feel like yelling at the service manager - but it will definitely be reflected if I get any sort of survey or feedback request.

LMFAO!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pEhqiCD27E

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-07-12, 04:57 PM
TriTexan, I'm glad everything seems to be shifting alright now! Hope the residue is nonexistent now, too.

Thanks for the updates,

Katie

Wannago
06-07-12, 10:53 PM
Well I dropped the V off at the dealer this morning to have the phantom tranny shifts looked at. Fortunately I was able to reproduce the problem for the service manager. Unfortunately, it didn't seem the service manager (the head of the dept, not some random employee) knew how the Sport Mode is supposed to work. He seemed to think that once I bumped the shifter to the right to select sport mode, the tranny was supposed to be full manual. Only after he saw the transmission shift itself in Sport Mode (and then begin crazy random downshifts and upshifts) did he grasp that there was a problem. Even more concerning is that the tranny in the CTS loaner they gave me (which was dirty and smelled funny even though it has only 6k miles on it) operates exactly the same way with Sport Mode, so you'd think the service guys would be familiar with this. They aren't I guess...which just adds to my low confidence about their ability to properly fix the problem.

And unfortunately, I didn't do as others have recommended and check the tread depth and such before leaving it. I just left the house in a hurry this morning to get to work. But I at least noted the fuel and mileage, so hopefully I won't have to post one of those crazy stories about joyriding by the techs like others have had to do.

Katie: Some feedback for corporate - if it's your job to fix Cadillacs for a living, you shouldn't have a customer with only 30 days of experience with his/her new car teaching the service manager how the car works. It makes "New Standard of the World" look foolish...nothing personal, but if you are going to make such a claim, you really do need to be able to back it up.

Feel your pain brother...so far 2 dealerships haven't been able to order me a proper replacement canister for my fix-a-flat compressor....pretty simple, one would think...

MIRINCTSV
04-11-13, 06:24 PM
Im having the exact same problem on my 2013 sedan with only 190 miles. between this and the terrible ultraview roof Im seriously considering selling the car and getting back into an m3...completely unacceptable on a brand new car, looking into lemon laws too - so pissed right now...nice job crapadillac!

1997BlackETC
04-11-13, 06:32 PM
Whats wrong with the sunroof?

RaVeNous
04-11-13, 07:38 PM
LOL I thought I was the only one who had those types of feeling leaving my car in the hands of dealers. It helps to talk to the service manager a bit whe you have a car this expensive to make sure your expectations are understood.

RaVeNous
04-11-13, 09:51 PM
Im having the exact same problem on my 2013 sedan with only 190 miles. between this and the terrible ultraview roof Im seriously considering selling the car and getting back into an m3...completely unacceptable on a brand new car, looking into lemon laws too - so pissed right now...nice job crapadillac!

Rofl - 7 posts and ready to sell. Good. Grumpy Cat good. Go get your M3. They are very nice looking cars. i considered one. They have rattles, and transmission issues, electronic issues, just like AMG and every other car. Read their forums. BMW does not make a better interior then Cadillac - sorry they don't. I drove a 335i and it felt as cheap as a c5 corvette on the interior, and was more loose fitting. Fun car though.

MIRINCTSV
04-12-13, 01:45 PM
yeah I was pretty upset yesterday, mainly because the shifts happened IN TRAFFIC and really freaked me out as I had no idea what the car was doing. Id be OK with this and consider it part of normal ownership only if it wasnt a brand newcar aka 200 miles on it. As for the e92 m3

brb proper dual clutch
brb perfect weight balance
brb steering feedback
brb leather interior is plenty nice
brb
brb

As for the sunroof, it creaks when going over bumps and the sunshade is useless...

Zhariak
04-12-13, 02:24 PM
I'll bet money that electronically the "Downshift" electronic switch was triggered fully. That's why it kept downshifting, and that's why you couldn't manually control it.

Not sure about the V's, but the standard CTS's wouldn't let you downshift in to a un-safe gear using the auto tranny shift thingy

Jims_97_ETC
04-13-13, 11:21 AM
Helm, Inc sells GM DVDs for some shop manuals.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?Make=CAD&Model=CTS+&Year=&Category=34&class_2=CAD&mk=Cadillac&yr=All+Years&md=CTS&dt=GM+DVD&module=&from=result&Style=helm&Sku=2011Q4&itemtype=N