: Does anyone know how to replace the parking brake shoes?

Andringa
05-31-12, 10:43 AM
I put new rotors/pads on my V last night and went out to bed them. On the way home I heard something from the rear and pulled over. The passenger side rear hat was glowing, drove home as slow as possible hoping that it would cool off.

Pulled the rotor and what was left of the parking brake shoes fell to the ground. Not sure what happen, the parking brake seemed to be working well before I drove it. Held when set and seemed to release fine.

Anyways, dealer says 2.5 hours to remove and replace the shoe. Looks like we have to pull the hub to get to it? Has anyone done this before, or have the procedure documented?

Thanks!

PISNUOFF
05-31-12, 04:31 PM
You don't have to pull the hub. The only tricky part is getting the spring back in place. It's the same procedure as any standard brake shoe.

Andringa
05-31-12, 05:01 PM
Thanks Brian, I've actually never had to work on drum brakes before, I guess it will be a learning experiance.

darkman
05-31-12, 08:26 PM
Google "replacing drum brakes" and you'll get many how-to hits including some youtube stuff. Great time to acquire an almost obsolete skill set.

PISNUOFF
05-31-12, 10:17 PM
Google "replacing drum brakes" and you'll get many how-to hits including some youtube stuff. Great time to acquire an almost obsolete skill set.

Can you find the one for replacement instead of adjustment?

darkman
05-31-12, 10:50 PM
Can you find the one for replacement instead of adjustment?

I don't have one of those. Sorry.

SevillianSTS
05-31-12, 10:53 PM
My car came with zero pad left on the parking brake shoes, 67k. I guess the last guy liked to drive with it on and listen to it ding all the time.
Makes me wonder if he did it to watch movies or something ( and not known about the "workaround" for it ) How else do you wear it completely out.

All I gotta say is: I WAS PISSED OFF the day I changed those; but I did manage to get it done. That spring was a real :rant2:

PISNUOFF
06-01-12, 06:16 AM
I'll look it up in my service manual this afternoon for you Steve.

BirdmanTamu
06-01-12, 02:44 PM
As others have noted, getting the spring seated correctly is a PITA. I found it helpful to take a small flathead screwdriver and used a drimmel tool to cut a notch in the top of it. That way I could "grab" the spring with the notched portion of the screwdriver to try and finagle it to the correct position. Still a PITA but the modified tool helped.

AmigoBB
06-01-12, 03:34 PM
My car came with zero pad left on the parking brake shoes, 67k. I guess the last guy liked to drive with it on and listen to it ding all the time.
Makes me wonder if he did it to watch movies or something ( and not known about the "workaround" for it ) How else do you wear it completely out.

All I gotta say is: I WAS PISSED OFF the day I changed those; but I did manage to get it done. That spring was a real :rant2:

Don't hate the previous owner, I have never driven with the brake on but about a dozen valets have. Pisses me off to no end when they do it.

thebigjimsho
06-01-12, 10:25 PM
Must have one of those e-brake racing pedals...

Andringa
06-02-12, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, sounds easier than I thought. I may not get to it for a while, but it sounds like I should be able to get a new shoe on it.

HAMSTAR
06-02-12, 08:00 AM
DUDE! Same thing happened to me about a week after a rotor swap. During the swap, the rear passenger rotor was a PITA to get iff the parking brake shoe. Then about a week later, the car started shuddering at highway speed. I pulled over and there was a wicked squeaking coming from the right rear side. I set then released the p brake and it went away.

Do I need a new p brake shoe? I'm alarmed that this would happen on its own like this.

Andringa
06-03-12, 01:13 AM
The more I think about it, I'm thinking that one of the shoes probably came off of the backing plate. No way I had it adjusted tight enough to burn it up completely.

I bet that if you took your rotor back off your shoe is gone on the side that was squealing.

PISNUOFF
06-03-12, 09:36 AM
The dealer left my park brake switch unplugged after a pedal replacement and then just slightly stepped on the brake before giving the car back to me. I had been driving the 4 cylinder car they gave me for 4 days and didn't realize the brake was slightly depressed. At about 45 mph it shuttered so I cranked it up to about 80 until it went "PING". The pad exploded off its backing plate. I plugged the switch in blindly in the dark when I got home. The dealer actually thought tat I would bring the car back to them and let them fix that, yeah right! They let me swap both rear shoes myself and just gave me the parts.

This is reason #126 why I don't let the dealer work on my car.