: Replacing navigation buttons

fre1102
05-31-12, 10:32 AM
So God willing, I'll pick up my new-to-me V this weekend. The pictures from the seller show the flaking/chipping on the navigation controls. Searching here shows a lot of replacements via warranty, but the car I'm looking at is out of warranty. Can I buy and replace the buttons and knobs myself?

Thanks.

darkman
05-31-12, 11:26 AM
Luke at Lindsay used to supply those on a regular basis. And there are some earlier threads showing the "how to" for installation.

Bigtuna819
05-31-12, 02:51 PM
ordered my buttons from luke earlier this week, the write up darkman is referring to looks to be all youd need to replace them. Btw I should have some left over buttons, which ones are you needing to replace?

vettepoweraddict
05-31-12, 03:39 PM
I did mine last month, be very careful when un-plugging the (2) ribbon cables that run between the face plate and the head unit. They tear very easy (don't ask). Also pay attention the the buttons with the dots. they are not all the same it matters which slot they go. also remember to transfer the rubber gaskets from the old buttons to the new buttons. Take your time its really a fidly project...Good luck

fre1102
05-31-12, 03:58 PM
ordered my buttons from luke earlier this week, the write up darkman is referring to looks to be all youd need to replace them. Btw I should have some left over buttons, which ones are you needing to replace?

Not sure yet, I've only seen pictures so far. The main volume knob on the driver's side definitely looks bad, and maybe half of the others, at least from the pictures. I should know for sure Saturday.

Bigtuna819
05-31-12, 05:52 PM
you can order the pwr/vol knob for $6 thru Luke, as for the 6 buttons on the right side... the top 3 buttons are different from the bottom 3. and luke usually has to order 5 at a time. pm me when you figure out which ones you need. Welcome to the forum

Faber
05-31-12, 10:07 PM
I'd recommend considering replacing them all while you are in there - I didn't think I needed to do one, and had ordered all my buttons but the DVD eject button, then about a month later it started peeling. Luckily my tendency to procrastinate was in full swing so I hadn't replaced them yet. Would suck to have to have done it twice b/c I was trying to save $6...

fre1102
06-01-12, 10:46 AM
I'd recommend considering replacing them all while you are in there - I didn't think I needed to do one, and had ordered all my buttons but the DVD eject button, then about a month later it started peeling. Luckily my tendency to procrastinate was in full swing so I hadn't replaced them yet. Would suck to have to have done it twice b/c I was trying to save $6...

That's a good idea--if it's a thing to swap them out anyway I might as well get them all at once.

jwilson2598
06-01-12, 08:22 PM
Honestly, I used a write-up from another forum and touched mine up since te chip was very small and it came out fine. I also sanded down and reprinted the volume and tuning knobs, came out great.

fre1102
06-02-12, 08:38 AM
Honestly, I used a write-up from another forum and touched mine up since te chip was very small and it came out fine. I also sanded down and reprinted the volume and tuning knobs, came out great.

Got a link to the write up?

Thanks.

jwilson2598
06-02-12, 03:38 PM
Ask and the shall receive:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v/1426444-how-fix-chipped-nav-buttons-knobs.html

Bigtuna819
06-02-12, 04:50 PM
my buttons arrived yesterday, I'll be changing them out this weekend. We'll see how this goes..

fre1102
06-04-12, 12:41 AM
Okay, so the car's mine. Very nice.

The main volume knob is shot, and it looks like someone has tried to paint over every single button on the the right of the nav screen. So I'll need a volume knob and all the right-hand-side buttons.

BIGDANB
06-09-12, 10:54 PM
I would like to replace all my buttons also. I may have missed some info earlier, but who is Luke @ Lindseys and how do i get in touch with him?

Faber
06-11-12, 12:55 PM
right hand side of the screen - Lindsay Cadillac - you can email or call. Speak with Luke there.

They also have their own forum here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/lindsay-cadillac/

vettepoweraddict
06-11-12, 01:08 PM
I contacted these guys, they are located outside of Detroit and they service pretty much all late model GM radios http://www.specmo.com/

I bought all the buttons ($5 each) and a new face plate (also $5) and a new lense ($10) Hope I'm not stepping on anybody

RippyPartsDept
06-11-12, 01:11 PM
:yeah:

that's what i was going to recommend

HAMSTAR
06-11-12, 01:44 PM
I contacted these guys, they are located outside of Detroit and they service pretty much all late model GM radios http://www.specmo.com/

I bought all the buttons ($5 each) and a new face plate (also $5) and a new lense ($10) Hope I'm not stepping on anybody

Thanks, but what do you mean by new lense? Do you mean the nav screen?

vettepoweraddict
06-11-12, 02:55 PM
Thanks, but what do you mean by new lense? Do you mean the nav screen?

Yes the coated anti glare lens

Rakenjevnk
06-12-12, 10:47 AM
The Nav is crap anyway -> custom project; throw a laptop in there. The info button doesn't give you anything a logger couldn't. I saw a guy put together a brand new touchscreen laptop system in there that was extracting all the old info, was updateable, ran the stock speakers. It was nice. It cost him around $2500 though... :(

Faber
06-14-12, 10:28 AM
Anyone know the part number for the anti-glare lens? Didn't even consider replacing this, but looking at it last night I can see where there would be benefit...

RippyPartsDept
06-14-12, 11:09 AM
You should just be able to ask for it when you call in to specmo

Faber
06-18-12, 03:50 PM
They were the ones asking for it, but they figured it out without it. I'm surprised though - they quoted me $50.36 for the lens whereas vettepoweraddict noted getting his for $10? Anyone know why the upcharge?

etcts-v
06-18-12, 04:56 PM
Just buy a piece of non-glare acrylic from home depot, cost like $3.00. That's all it is stock. Even better is to order from TAP plastics, they have a huge selection of quality and different types.

RippyPartsDept
06-18-12, 05:01 PM
yeah, they're known for not doing anything without a part number but the nav buttons don't really have a part number ... i'm sure they have a part number for it in their system for inventory control purposes etc... but there is no GM part number for them like there is for radios and clusters (and those part numbers are required if you are going to try and order a radio or cluster)

as for why prices may have changed - who knows ... maybe he got lucky ... maybe the prices just changed