: good year tires with less then 30K and there cracking?

PeteKT
05-30-12, 12:42 PM
is this common or is it something i can talk to the dealership about, i take care of my truck better then a baby, the other day i was looking at the tires and all the sidewalls on my 22's are cracking like the rubber is dry, is this common on a 2008? is it something i can take up wioth the dealership? or am i screwed?

hcvone
05-30-12, 01:10 PM
is this common or is it something i can talk to the dealership about, i take care of my truck better then a baby, the other day i was looking at the tires and all the sidewalls on my 22's are cracking like the rubber is dry, is this common on a 2008? is it something i can take up wioth the dealership? or am i screwed?

You mean Bridgestone's right? Have not seen any do that with the stock Bridgestone's, but with what is put down on the roads in the winter, and even some tire dressing will crack rubber over time, Armor All was sued for that reason years ago. They have a 65000 warranty, find a Bridgestone dealer.

PeteKT
05-30-12, 01:31 PM
My mistake ya they are bridgestones, what will the bridgestone dealer do for me? there the tires that came on the truck wouldnt it be under warranty from the dealer still?

rjm
05-30-12, 02:24 PM
I can only share my experience, and don't want to be negative, but don't expect much.

My '08 DTS had Bridgestone Turanzas, and within a month of having the car I realized the tires were absolute rubbish. I spent 2 months being passed between Bridgestone and Cadillac as each said it was the others responsibility. All I wanted was credit toward a new set of tires and if I picked a more expensive tire I would pay the difference. I didn't think I was being unreasonable as it was a new car (I custom ordered it) and new tires. I finally threw in the towel and paid for a set of Michelins out of my own pocket.

I truly hope you have better luck.

RippyPartsDept
05-30-12, 02:37 PM
if they're original from 2008 (maybe 2007 if it was an early 2008 truck) then that would be 4-5 years old ... cracking or dry-rot is usually due to age (or chemicals as mentioned above)

4-5 years seems a bit early for dry-rot to start but i don't think that will be covered under the warranty ... if they were newer maybe...

here's a link to the OEM factory tire warranty booklet straight from Bridgestone http://www.bridgestonetire.com/PDF/GM_OE_Warranty_EN.pdf

----------

From the WHAT THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER section: "Weather/ozone cracking after 4 years from date of tire manufacture"

​looks like you're going to be out of luck here...

hcvone
05-30-12, 02:56 PM
Weather/ozone cracking after 4 years from date of tire
manufacture.
Look for the date made, it's on the tire, maybe past the date but I would still show it to the dealer or a Bridgestone dealer

RippyPartsDept
05-30-12, 03:21 PM
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l94q2rwLjc1qd4p9yo1_400.jpg

in this case 4202 means the 42nd week of 2002

so you're looking for something before 2108 or so

----------

only one side of the tire will have the date ... one will have a blank oval with no numbers after the dot code and the other side will have the date code after the dot code

PeteKT
05-30-12, 05:55 PM
SO i might actually be in luck, i forgot when i bought the truck, I got it it was a year old, I had the dealership swap the wheels on it because one of the rims had a scratch from before, the Date code on these tires is

5210, so im guessing the last week of 2010, which would mean they are covered?

RippyPartsDept
05-31-12, 11:50 AM
well, technically they are not the original OEM tires in this case... so they would fall under a different warranty - probably the regular replacement tire warranty (http://www.bridgestonetire.com/PDF/Replacement_Warranty_EN.pdf)

looks like that is covered for four years also ... i would try a bridgestone dealer since they're not the original/OEM tires

----------

a proof of purchase for the tires might be your sticking point here though since you technically didn't buy the tires

good luck

rjm
05-31-12, 12:41 PM
well, technically they are not the original OEM tires in this case... so they would fall under a different warranty - probably the regular replacement tire warranty (http://www.bridgestonetire.com/PDF/Replacement_Warranty_EN.pdf)

looks like that is covered for four years also ... i would try a bridgestone dealer since they're not the original/OEM tires

----------

a proof of purchase for the tires might be your sticking point here though since you technically didn't buy the tires

good luck

This was the argument Bridgestone used with me--"you didn't purchase the tire from us, so its Cadillac's responsibility." And Cadillac would always throw the ball back to Bridgestone.

I truly hope he has a better experience than I.

RippyPartsDept
05-31-12, 02:10 PM
I foresee the same thing happening ... it's not the OEM tire (obviously since the tire build date is after the vehicle build date - years after) ... the bridgestone dealer is going to ask for a proof of purchase for the tires (which the OP will not have - the OP will say well they came on the car when i bought it) so the tire dealer will say then you'll have to deal with the dealer you bought them from

in my eyes it should be a bridgestone warranty but without proof of purchase you're SOL unless the either the dealer you bought it from or the bridgestone tire store feels like helping you out with some sort of 'goodwill'

K9Caddy
05-31-12, 07:02 PM
I guess I'm confused as to why you would need a "proof of purchase" receipt for tires?? Is the BRAND and date stamp not good enough on the sidewall? Just seems to me like an excuse...

quattrotman
06-01-12, 12:17 AM
If it was me, I'd probably just chalk it up as age/weathering and either live with it or grab a new set.Maybe time for a new set of tires anyways. 30k miles is not a lot but over 4-5 years, some weathering will occur and any tire is going to look 'worn'. They don't have to be used often for the rubber to deteriorate, get hard and crack. Even if they aren't cracked, they will probably be noisy. I certainly hope you have luck with a warranty claim but I fear it is not going to go anywhere. Having had many different cars with warranty issues etc, I have had my own experience with dealers good and bad. When dealing with a wear and tear item like tires, dealers always take a defensive stance and put the onus on you and given that 30k miles and 5 years have gone by, it will be an uphill battle for you. Best you can hope for is maybe a discount on a new set of overpriced dealer tires. Wear an tear items are an easy out for them. For example, I had a BMW 5 years ago. I bought it 'new' with 120mi on it (not thousand...just 120). It annoyed me that the car I made a deal on and that was in the off lot stock had 120mi on the odometer when I was handed the key. They tried justifying it and I foolishly just went along with it becasue I wanted my new car. Well, sure enough not even 3 days go by and the brakes are shuddering like crazy and squealing. Obviously this 'new' car was used on test drives...hence the 120mi. I take it in and they didn't want to hear it. Immediately went defensive and said brakes are a wear and tear item, not covered under warranty. They wouldn't do anything. I literally harrassed manager after manager until I got high enough on the chain, spoke to the regional manager and got them to fix it.
Not exactly your situation I know, but dealers will not easily warranty stuff like that.
BTW, I kept that BMW for the lease term (only 24 months) and literally threw the keys at them when I returned it. Told them they'll never, ever see me in another BMW again. I received several apoligetic phone calls from BMW canada and the dealership and several attempts to entice me with attractive (and they were good) offers but I was done with them and I wanted them to know it. OK...I think I'm getting carried away :)

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-01-12, 02:05 PM
Hello PeteKT,

Were these the tires that were originally supplied with your vehicle? If so, these are covered against defects in material or workmanship under the Bumper-to-Bumper coverage. Any tire replaced will continue to be warranted for the remaining portion of the Bumper-to-Bumper coverage period. We would be happy to get you more information about your warranty status if you wanted to send us the last 8 digits of your VIN.

It would also be good, as is being stated throughout the thread, to check in with the company who manufactured the tires to see if they have any sort of warranty.

I apologize that this post is coming a few days behind - between the long weekend and server problems we have a bit of catching up to do.

All the best,
Sarah (In for Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

PeteKT
06-01-12, 02:19 PM
I PM'd you the vin