: 2008 Escalade With Cooled Front Seats: How to improve the air flow?

rickhoutx1
05-30-12, 11:34 AM
I have a 2008 Escalade with Cooled Front Seats. When I turn them on, I can hear the fans blowing but can just barely feel the air coming out of the seats. Is there a way to improve the air flow? I see the circular air filter under the driver's seat. Does that filter the air for the cooled seat? While the filter looks clean, I wonder if it may be restricting the air flow.

Also, I have read through the various threads on the Cooled Seats and saw the many pictures posted. Some pictures show a Motorola module for the seat cooler under the passenger-side front seat. I don't see that module under my 2008 Escalade passenger-side front seat. Is it located somewhere else in the 2008 Escalade?

Thanks,

Rick

PeteKT
05-30-12, 11:46 AM
Id like to know this also, my 08 EXT is the same you can hear it but its not strong.

48Dodge
05-30-12, 03:15 PM
Id like to know this also, my 08 EXT is the same you can hear it but its not strong.

Add me to the list. Other cars I've been in with this feature, you can almost feel the breeze.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-01-12, 12:56 PM
I have a 2008 Escalade with Cooled Front Seats. When I turn them on, I can hear the fans blowing but can just barely feel the air coming out of the seats. Is there a way to improve the air flow? I see the circular air filter under the driver's seat. Does that filter the air for the cooled seat? While the filter looks clean, I wonder if it may be restricting the air flow.

Also, I have read through the various threads on the Cooled Seats and saw the many pictures posted. Some pictures show a Motorola module for the seat cooler under the passenger-side front seat. I don't see that module under my 2008 Escalade passenger-side front seat. Is it located somewhere else in the 2008 Escalade?

Thanks,

Rick

Good afternoon Rick,

Are you able to adjust the settings of the cooled seats to high, medium, and low, or will it only operate at one setting?

All the best,
Sarah (In For Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

PeteKT
06-01-12, 01:21 PM
Mine is adjustable but even on high you dont feel the AC seat so much, the heated seat works great but the AC seats not so great

rickhoutx1
06-01-12, 03:28 PM
Sarah (In For Katie),

I can adjust the cooled seat settings to high, medium, and low. The air flow is very, very low even when set on high.

Rick

Rugster
07-03-12, 09:03 AM
Has there been any more information on this? I am disappointed with the cooled seat function even on high setting as well.

krieghoff
07-03-12, 09:37 AM
When I had my ESV in for service I told them to check the AC on seats because I didn't think it was working.

When I picked it up I asked about the seats and was told that it was working.

I told them "Ok so it just works like crap?"

The wife's Lincoln has AC seats and it will freeze them off!

48Dodge
07-03-12, 11:06 AM
I cleaned the filters in the sink and got a noticeable improvement in airflow. Still not floating me off the seat but at least I can tell they're working now

Rugster
07-03-12, 11:13 AM
I have sat on the cooled seats of the Lincolns and they are no joke. I will have to try cleaning the filters and see if that helps.

rickhoutx1
07-05-12, 12:45 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to replace the fan that blows air into the seats with a more powerful one if given the proper information about voltage/amp requirements etc. I keep wondering if some other fan (like a high cfm output computer case fan) could provide an increase in air flow.

Ghost Deany
07-05-12, 01:34 PM
Where are the filters you clean located at?

48Dodge
07-05-12, 01:45 PM
They're 2 white disks located under the front of the seats. You have to reach through the bar and twist them off. They should be white. Mine were tan and cleaned up with just water to nearly white. I may pull them off and clean with soap next time.

Rugster
07-05-12, 02:59 PM
My filters are clean but I'm still not impressed. Wonder if I could leave the filters out alltogether. Would that harm anything?

MrHolland
07-05-12, 07:52 PM
I wouldnt recommend leaving the filters off, although I cant say for sure if it would damage anything. You wouldnt remove your air filter to try to get my air into the engine would you??

Rugster
07-06-12, 03:47 PM
I wouldnt recommend leaving the filters off, although I cant say for sure if it would damage anything. You wouldnt remove your air filter to try to get my air into the engine would you??

Are you comparing my ass to a combustion engine? :p

07BlkOnBlkEXT
07-06-12, 05:13 PM
I was under the impression these cooled seats were more like "cold packs" in the seats and that we shouldn't be expecting air to be necessarily coming out of the perforations in the seats. Is this what's going on? Everyone's expectations are not accurate?

K9Caddy
07-06-12, 05:31 PM
Yeah, there is suppose to be air coming out... That is why there is 3 different "FAN" settings.

stater02
07-09-12, 09:37 AM
I have the same problem with my 2010 escalade. You can barely tell that they are on. I had the service tech look at it and he said they are working. I guess they just don't work very well. I'm highly disappointed.

///M Eater
07-09-12, 10:11 AM
I have the same problem with my 2010 escalade. You can barely tell that they are on. I had the service tech look at it and he said they are working. I guess they just don't work very well. I'm highly disappointed.

Same.

hcvone
07-09-12, 11:33 AM
Mine work pretty well, about as good as my SL63 Benz, but they are not as cold as my wifes Lincoln, she says the Escalade's work better, go figure

krieghoff
07-09-12, 01:08 PM
My wife's Lincoln will freeze your 2 friends off! LOL

dbkramp001
07-11-12, 05:01 PM
Saw this thread and got me curious. I went out and found them, pulled them and cleaned them. Attached pic's of location, under seta as described. Also, attached a dirty and clean pic to show side by side compare. Just hosed mine down with some Dawn and water shook them and re-installed.
Cheers

rickhoutx1
07-11-12, 06:58 PM
dbkramp001 Can you tell if you have increased air flow?

By the way, I took my filters off and they were quite clean. I blew through them and they offer very, very, little wind resistance. Unless the filters are very, very dirty I don't think they would impede air flow. I also took a peak at the fan blower under the seat. The exposed turbine blades do not seem engineered to move much air. If I were more industrious I would try to find replacement fans that are engineered to move more air.

stater02
07-18-12, 10:19 AM
Can someone please explain how to get the seat part to lift up? I was looking for some sort of release lever but couldn't find one. I want to get underneath the seat to check out the filter. Thanks in advance!

FRISBEE
07-18-12, 08:10 PM
Mines work fine when they did work it slowly cools your backside which I thought was good for long trips without freezing you out of your seat, but now both of my seats don't work heated or cooled any suggestions?? Sorry didn't want to rob your post.....

MrHolland
07-18-12, 10:57 PM
Quick search of the forum turned up several threads, not sure if this will help but here are a few---

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/223563-heated-cooled-seats-inoperable.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/124413-heated-cooled-seat-problem.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/217781-front-seat-heat-cool-not-working.html

skierjp
07-22-12, 08:14 AM
On my 2011 from day 1 I wondered why they had 3 fan settings. On high you can hardly tell it's working. If it's hot out by the time you get where you're going it may have cooled the seat. Very dissapointed.Typical GM.

SouthernCaddy
07-22-12, 08:58 AM
I thought they just cooled the leather and did not have air coming through the seat. I dont wee how the cool air can come out of the seat. Are you all sure they are just not cooling the heat from your body on the leather and not flowing air out of the seat?

Ghost Deany
07-22-12, 09:52 PM
does anyone know how the heated seat tech works? I took my entire unit apart because it was failing and now seems to be working again. The heated seats also run off this, and they got hot as hell. That copper coil pack really heats them up like that?

laidback72
07-23-12, 06:52 PM
my 08 blows rather weak also, i jus assumed thats the way it was.....i'm gonna check these filters now that i know i have them....

MrHolland
07-24-12, 07:14 AM
I don't really feel any air when I sit on my seats, but it doesn't take long for my nether regions to get cold!! After probably 5-10 mins, I'm lowering the settings. I'm not sure if you should really feel air coming through the seats, although they're advertised as ventilated. Nonetheless, I turn on my seats and soon there after dreams begin coming true!!

StevieT
08-01-12, 10:46 AM
I never realized how much the AC seats suck until my dad just got a F150 Lariat. Those puppies kick on instantly and you can feel the air flow. Have to go in for an oil change tomorrow so we'll have them check it out but not too promising after reading this thread. I figured filters... no i'm second guessing.

TobyJohnson11
08-01-12, 12:41 PM
Just my 2 cents, but I don’t think that the air is actually blowing up from the seats, but sucking in. I have a 2012 ram with cooled seats and had a 2005 STS and both sucked the air into the seats, and did not blow it out. The best way to check is to use a kleenex and set it on the seat and turn the fan on high. If it sucks to the seat, the air is sucking, not blowing. Seems to me like the filter should be on the other side? I am not sure if my STS had a filter but I am going to check on the ram today.

StevieT
08-01-12, 02:12 PM
It is sucking the air through the seat and exhausting it into the rear seating foot area. The vent is at the bottom back of the seat, you can feel the hot air with your hand.

Ghost Deany
08-01-12, 02:52 PM
The unit also heats the seats. I always thought it had the heating type pads like the older escalades. Cant believe that little control unit makes the seat that hot.