: debadging steer wheel?

extrabolts
05-30-12, 11:28 AM
Has anyone debadged the steering wheel? I like the wreath but am not a fan of the cadillac logo. Wanted to check first to see if it comes out ok with removal and if it is only glued on.

M5eater
06-04-12, 09:23 PM
good question. I would assume it's riveted or secured in someway more secure than glue. Simply because of the fact that there's a powerful explosive behind it.

I believe the airbag actually splits right down the circular emblem but that the emblem remains inact so the split goes 'around' the circumference of the emblem.

My guess? It's sonically plastic welded.

larry arizona
06-07-12, 05:35 PM
Its and aluminum toy tab ( 6 tabs that go through slots in the airbag cover and are crimped on the backside of the cover) emblem. The cover is ugly and you will see the airbag cushion without it. You will be very disappointed and will not be able to repair the DAB after fiddiling with it. New ones are $500 to $600.

larry arizona
06-07-12, 05:37 PM
M5 you are 100% correct. The DAB tear seam goes around the perimeter of the emblem. Do not loosen or pry on the emblem or during a deployment you will get a chinese throwing star going 250mph to your face.

larry arizona
06-07-12, 06:04 PM
ok. I am a moron. I just went and looked at the emblem on the V and it is as M5 states a plastic emblem that is sonic welded. But the same holds true, dont mess with it as you will not be pleased with the look after removing it.

JoeS823
06-07-12, 06:10 PM
Do not loosen or pry on the emblem or during a deployment you will get a chinese throwing star going 250mph to your face.

Motivation to drive more carefully?

larry arizona
06-07-12, 06:21 PM
or motivation not to mess with the emblem on your DAB HA :bouncy:

SoCalCTSV
06-08-12, 12:21 AM
This debadge, blacken, unchrome thing is out of hand. Really guys. It's ****ing goofy.

M5eater
06-08-12, 10:03 AM
This debadge, blacken, unchrome thing is out of hand. Really guys. It's ****ing goofy.
You have Fonzy (dipyourcar.com) from Audizine and the euro scene to thank for this.

JoeS823
06-08-12, 10:08 AM
I personally thing the chrome grill looks awesome in the v, it makes the whole front end stand out more

SoCalCTSV
06-09-12, 01:10 PM
I'm thinking about plasti dipping my entire body so it matches the car.

SleeperCTSV
06-09-12, 07:41 PM
Rofl!

extrabolts
06-11-12, 09:18 PM
Heh, I've never plasti-dipped or debadged any car. I really like all of the chrome on the car, makes the black coupe look like it is wearing a tuxedo. The one thing I don't like about this car though is all of those colors in the shield. Just bothers me, reminds me of old men at a country club. I'm blacking the rear badge out, and that one on the steering wheel is RIGHT THERE every time I get in the car. I guess I could plastidip it too since it peels right off if I don't like it.

larry arizona
06-11-12, 09:33 PM
Extrabolts. I understand and respect your opinion of not liking the emblem on the DAB. To each their own. But I want to explain that you should not mess with the DAB emblem. Adding mass to the emblem is not advised. When we do DAB deployment testing, one of the hardest things is retaining the emblem. Adding even a .5 grams to the emblem makes an exponential difference in what it takes to retain the emblem and not have it release during a deployment. Once released a 1.5 gram (typical emblem is 1 to 1.5 grams) emblem can be traveling at 75 to 250mph and it will leave a serious mark. This is a big deal.

Back in 2005 when the cobalt SS came out some owners found out that the SS center caps from the wheels "looked" cool if you glued it over the DAB emblems. the center caps weighed about 12 grams. That would kill you in a deployment (GM came out with an SS DAB emblem pretty quick).

extrabolts
06-12-12, 02:27 PM
Thanks for letting me know, I had put a first coat on but went ahead and rubbed it off. Glad plastidip rubs off so easily.

larry arizona
06-12-12, 09:12 PM
Extra, If we made the CTS DAB I would get you a cover with a blank black emblem, but that is one we don't make, sorry.

LV_V
06-16-12, 12:40 PM
I highly doubt a layer of Plastidip is going to even have a 0.000001% of furthering your injury in ANY type of accident.... C'mon now... gtfo

larry arizona
06-17-12, 07:26 AM
LV V. If the plastidip adds less than 0.1 grams mass to the emblem I would agree with you. If its closer to 0.5 grams get get ready to get bitch slapped by your emblem during a DAB deployment :hide:. But all joking aside, this is what I do for a living (airbags) and you have been warned.