: Can CEL codes be accessed without a reader?

mckellyb
05-30-12, 11:28 AM
I have a reader, of course...but it's at home, and my CEL greeted me on the way to work this AM.

Looks like my MPG took a hit, though it's still early on this tank to tell, honestly. I filled, yesterday, and it was raining this AM, so traffic was slower than normal. Usually, a one-way commute after filling has the DIC MPG around 21.7-22, but mine is almost stuck at 18.it-can't-be-that-bad.

It just bugs me I'm going to have to wait all day to find out what it really is. Making matters worse, is I will have about an extra 30 miles added to my 55 mi. RT commute, today.

:mad:

You'd think, with the DIC being able to do alpha-numeric readouts, it's be ultra-easy to have any codes displayed. Oh, wait, then the code-reader industry wouldn't have as much in sales.

Grrrrrr.

First thing I did was check the fuel filler cap...it was on there tightly.

curtc
05-30-12, 12:38 PM
2003 was the last year of the on board diagnostics...hit up autozone or any other chain store, they'll help you out.

Ludacrisvp
05-30-12, 01:05 PM
2003 was the last year of the on board diagnostics...hit up autozone or any other chain store, they'll help you out.

Irritating! :mad:

But on a side note better hope the code is generic enough to be read by one of those places.

dkozloski
05-30-12, 01:17 PM
Call OnStar and they can read the codes for you.

mckellyb
05-30-12, 03:31 PM

Thanks.

Yeah, I'll just wait and see what my reader at home says...

skexius
05-30-12, 09:56 PM
2003 was the last year of the on board diagnostics...

curtc,

The above statement is 100% INCORRECT! For the Cadillac SEVILLE models, the last year onboard diagnostics were available was the 2004 model year. For the Cadillac DEVILLE models, the last year onboard diagnostics were available was the 2005 model year.

Please make that you are giving CORRECT information if you are going to answer specific questions like this that have well-known answers.

skexius

ddalder
05-31-12, 01:37 AM
They may be able to, but they won't. Tried that. All the would tell me was I had an engine code (car was misfiring) and they would connect me to a GM dealership to schedule a service appointment.

mckellyb
05-31-12, 12:21 PM
Turns out it is PO174, or bank 2 lean. I did notice it being slightly shaky, but I've felt that before. Looks like I need to check out the intake manifold bolts, again, and double-check everything around the air filter housing. Changed it Sunday, didn't drive it, Monday, so one full day of commuting before the CEL.

Reset it, stayed extinguished all morning, but I'll poke around, regardless.

edit: Sure enough, on the way home from work, it came back...

I know what I'm doing, Sunday...