: I can't even describe how frustrated I am right now!

Bufflex
05-30-12, 09:57 AM
Hi guys,

I own a Cts-v Coupe 2011, it's my first American car and probably the last. So let me share my frustration with you guys, its been exactly a year since I bought the car and only did almost 16,000 miles. One would assume that with this low mileage everything should be fine right? Well, you're absolutely wrong!

Here is a list of problems I had or still have:

-Super charger (replaced)
-Rear differential (replaced)
-Engine misfiring. technicians say it's normal! (still present)
-White smoke from exhaust when starting the engine in the morning. technicians say it's normal! (still present)
-Weird ticking noise that can be heard clearly inside the cabin and it's RPM related. technicians say it's normal! (still present)
-wheel clicking (serviced 4 times)
-Interior Squeaks and Rattles (still present)

The thing that pisses me off is that I love the car! The way it looks, the power...etc. But for a $81,000 car, you wouldn't expect all these problem in such a short period of time.

One last thing, can some one please tell me if the Engine misfiring, white smoke and ticking noise are normal? If they're not, kindly explain what causes these issues.

Thanx.

smackdownCTSV
05-30-12, 10:14 AM
Only 16K miles? I'd initiate a lemon law claim on it. And find a different dealer that can diagnose your problems.

DangFoo
05-30-12, 10:31 AM
As frustrating as all of those issues may be, it's not an "American" thing. I'm the opposite in that I own American brands and have had nothing but success, while my relatives and friends get hit with their Toyota recalls and $900 brake jobs for a base level Benz.

I had the SRX before the V and zero issues, but already seeing issues with my V; just not as extensive as yours. I'd also try another dealer if the same Tech keeps telling you that every errant noise and issue is normal.

Keep us posted.

Bufflex
05-30-12, 11:17 AM
Only 16K miles? I'd initiate a lemon law claim on it. And find a different dealer that can diagnose your problems.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have such a thing over here. As for taking the car to another dealership, we only have 1 major dealer that has branches in every city so there is no point really...

As frustrating as all of those issues may be, it's not an "American" thing. I'm the opposite in that I own American brands and have had nothing but success, while my relatives and friends get hit with their Toyota recalls and $900 brake jobs for a base level Benz.

I had the SRX before the V and zero issues, but already seeing issues with my V; just not as extensive as yours. I'd also try another dealer if the same Tech keeps telling you that every errant noise and issue is normal.

Keep us posted.

I'm aware of that my friend, but you have to look at it from my point of view. I bought a Cadillac, which is considered one of the top American vehicle manufacturers and most prestigious, I paid 80k for what I thought will be an amazing car all around and it turns out to be a complete disaster! What impression will that give me on the rest of American cars?

I owned an Infiniti G37 coupe for 4 years and not once had any mechanical problem with it. I'm regretting not buying a Skyline GTR instead of the V...

jessrayo
05-30-12, 11:19 AM
I also have a 2011 coupe that has had a lot of problems. I had to have another mechanic sort all the warranty problems out and then bring it to the dealer for the proper fix. I had driven Jaguar for the last 5 years before I got the V. The Cadillac has a lot more squeeks and rattles. It is sad but I have learned to turn up the radio and ignore them. I also have been very frustrated with the mechanics at the dealership. When I brought the Jaguars in it was always fixed right and if the mechanic found something he didn't think was right he fixed it himself under warranty no questions asked. Cadillac has a long way to go to get service up to snuff with the other premium brands.

Where do you live? I'm sure someone on here can point you in the right direction of a skilled mechanic. I can tell you, once I got my engine running properly, I LOVE this car.

DangFoo
05-30-12, 11:48 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think we have such a thing over here. As for taking the car to another dealership, we only have 1 major dealer that has branches in every city so there is no point really...

I'm aware of that my friend, but you have to look at it from my point of view. I bought a Cadillac, which is considered one of the top American vehicle manufacturers and most prestigious, I paid 80k for what I thought will be an amazing car all around and it turns out to be a complete disaster! What impression will that give me on the rest of American cars?

I owned an Infiniti G37 coupe for 4 years and not once had any mechanical problem with it. I'm regretting not buying a Skyline GTR instead of the V...

I understand and agree that a $70K or $80K car should be butttoned-down; I'm hoping that the issues get sorted out and that you can enjoy the car as you deserve. I failed to notice that you're in Dubai when I first posted, so I'm sure the limited access to an alternative service point/dealership is only compounding your frustration.

SoCalCTSV
05-30-12, 11:53 AM
$81,000?

Maxniman
05-30-12, 12:06 PM
$81,000?

In Dubai, yes

neuronbob
05-30-12, 12:18 PM
I'll tackle what I know about. Others will chime in soon, hopefully.

-White smoke from exhaust when starting the engine in the morning. technicians say it's normal! (still present)
-Weird ticking noise that can be heard clearly inside the cabin and it's RPM related. technicians say it's normal! (still present)

1. the only time I have white smoke from the exhaust is when it's cold outside, which wouldn't be an issue in Dubai. So what you describe wouldn't be normal to me.
2. The "ticking" noise that is RPM related....does it sound a little like marbles in the engine? If so, that could be the supercharger isolator coupling. This is a known issue with the supercharger and GM indeed says the resulting sound is normal. However, it IS fixable by replacing (at your own mechanic...GM dealers have been strictly instructed not to touch that) the isolator. It's a very simple fix if you have someone near you who knows how to service the car.
3. Wheel clicking is a common issue as well, one that many of us resolve by moving to aftermarket wheels. Some people do have the clicking despite that and ultimately, the TSB that GM put out about cleaning where the wheel meets the suspension is the solution. It does work.
4. Can you describe how you can tell the engine is misfiring?

I hope this helps a little, or hopefully you can describe the engine ticking better.

Airfoto
05-30-12, 12:47 PM
Totally agree - find a new dealer - pure BS - everything you have mentioned is ABNORMAL for any car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoCal_V
05-30-12, 01:39 PM
I bought my '12 V for its engine, plain and simple. Compared with the Euro cars I've owned, the UAW-built GM machine I'm in now has nowhere near the same build quality or quality control...it's just the reality I accepted.

Sorry to hear about your problems Bufflex. Hopefully they can get it all fixed up for you.

Unfortunately if you read this forum you'll see you're not the only one with unacceptable quality control with their V, and we tend to make excuses for the car b/c of how fun it is to drive and how great the engine is. GM is too big to worry about the wheel click, supercharger rattle, rocking Recaros, rear diffs going out unfilled, etc. They just bandaid it, ignore it and move on.

GM-4-LIFE
05-30-12, 02:18 PM
Only problem I have had is my rear diff was replaced, most likely due to GM not filling it at the factory. I just don't know why the dealership don't check them when they PDI the cars off the truck. That's what the dealer is supposed to do. Check the entire car before it gets to the customer. Other than that, my V Coupe has been perfect. The most trouble free GM vehicle I have ever owned, not to mention the low cost of ownership if you don't factor in fuel costs.

FLTRI
05-30-12, 02:33 PM
I guess I'm just lucky. Almost 7K on my Vagon so far, and I have had none, zero, of the problems I read about here. Way back when I had a 1995 Chevy pickup that I put over 100,000 miles on. It had a small leak in the master brake cylinder, and a seat track broke early on, both taken care of first time under warranty. Other than that, it was hands down the most reliable vehicle I ever owned.

I sincerely hope you get your issues ironed out. It's has to be frustrating having only one choice in Dubai.

Tampa2Dubai
05-31-12, 06:13 AM
Hi guys,

I own a Cts-v Coupe 2011, it's my first American car and probably the last. So let me share my frustration with you guys, its been exactly a year since I bought the car and only did almost 16,000 miles. One would assume that with this low mileage everything should be fine right? Well, you're absolutely wrong!

Here is a list of problems I had or still have:

The thing that pisses me off is that I love the car! The way it looks, the power...etc. But for a $81,000 car, you wouldn't expect all these problem in such a short period of time.

One last thing, can some one please tell me if the Engine misfiring, white smoke and ticking noise are normal? If they're not, kindly explain what causes these issues.

Thanx.

Sorry to hear about your problems, i really hope mine doesnt go the same way, the only problem ive got so far is the creaking dashboard

Have you taken the car to Al ghandi rather than liberty.. they might give you a second opinion and personally i think they are better .. they dont sell the cts-v but do sell the ZR1 and ZL1 so they know the car .. maybe worth a try

smackdownCTSV
05-31-12, 08:46 AM
Only problem I have had is my rear diff was replaced, most likely due to GM not filling it at the factory. I just don't know why the dealership don't check them when they PDI the cars off the truck. That's what the dealer is supposed to do. Check the entire car before it gets to the customer. Other than that, my V Coupe has been perfect. The most trouble free GM vehicle I have ever owned, not to mention the low cost of ownership if you don't factor in fuel costs.

They are too busy beating on the car and doing a celebratory breakfast/lunch run.

V locity
05-31-12, 08:52 PM
They are too busy beating on the car and doing a celebratory breakfast/lunch run.

Or...93 mile test drives for low speed wheel clicking!

Txstang1
06-01-12, 01:38 AM
I'm not too happy with my purchase either. 14k miles, been in for the wheels clicking twice and now there is a puddle of oil under the car. :(

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-01-12, 11:38 AM
Bufflex,

I'm sorry that you have had so many difficulties with your Escalade! I see that you're writing from Dubai - have you tried working with Customer Service from your region already? If you were to visit http://ae-en.cadillacarabia.com/ you should be able to locate information on how to contact an agent in your area. Unfortunately, as Katie and I are based in the United States, we would be unable to look into this further with you ourselves.

All the best,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

----------

I'm not too happy with my purchase either. 14k miles, been in for the wheels clicking twice and now there is a puddle of oil under the car. :(

Txstang1,
I'm sorry that you're having some issues with wheels clicking, as well as the potential oil concern. Have you had your dealership look into this ( I apologize if you've been asked this before - not being on the forum regularly makes context difficult!)? We're happy to look into this with you if you would like to get in touch via private message (include the last 8 of your VIN please).

All the best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

Bufflex
06-02-12, 03:28 PM
I'll tackle what I know about. Others will chime in soon, hopefully.

1. the only time I have white smoke from the exhaust is when it's cold outside, which wouldn't be an issue in Dubai. So what you describe wouldn't be normal to me.
2. The "ticking" noise that is RPM related....does it sound a little like marbles in the engine? If so, that could be the supercharger isolator coupling. This is a known issue with the supercharger and GM indeed says the resulting sound is normal. However, it IS fixable by replacing (at your own mechanic...GM dealers have been strictly instructed not to touch that) the isolator. It's a very simple fix if you have someone near you who knows how to service the car.
3. Wheel clicking is a common issue as well, one that many of us resolve by moving to aftermarket wheels. Some people do have the clicking despite that and ultimately, the TSB that GM put out about cleaning where the wheel meets the suspension is the solution. It does work.
4. Can you describe how you can tell the engine is misfiring?

I hope this helps a little, or hopefully you can describe the engine ticking better.

neuronbob thanx for your reply, im pretty familiar with the marbles sound and I can tell you its not that. Its more like a plastic bottle attached to a bicycle wheel...sorry that's the best example I can think of right now lol

Totally agree - find a new dealer - pure BS - everything you have mentioned is ABNORMAL for any car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could!

I bought my '12 V for its engine, plain and simple. Compared with the Euro cars I've owned, the UAW-built GM machine I'm in now has nowhere near the same build quality or quality control...it's just the reality I accepted.

Sorry to hear about your problems Bufflex. Hopefully they can get it all fixed up for you.

Unfortunately if you read this forum you'll see you're not the only one with unacceptable quality control with their V, and we tend to make excuses for the car b/c of how fun it is to drive and how great the engine is. GM is too big to worry about the wheel click, supercharger rattle, rocking Recaros, rear diffs going out unfilled, etc. They just bandaid it, ignore it and move on.

I can live with few squeaks and rattles but what pisses me off is the mechanical issues and most of them are MAJOR for a brand new car!

I guess I'm just lucky. Almost 7K on my Vagon so far, and I have had none, zero, of the problems I read about here. Way back when I had a 1995 Chevy pickup that I put over 100,000 miles on. It had a small leak in the master brake cylinder, and a seat track broke early on, both taken care of first time under warranty. Other than that, it was hands down the most reliable vehicle I ever owned.

I sincerely hope you get your issues ironed out. It's has to be frustrating having only one choice in Dubai.

I really hope you don't experience any issues with your car, but the wheel clicking and supercharger marbles are inevitable!

Sorry to hear about your problems, i really hope mine doesnt go the same way, the only problem ive got so far is the creaking dashboard

Have you taken the car to Al ghandi rather than liberty.. they might give you a second opinion and personally i think they are better .. they dont sell the cts-v but do sell the ZR1 and ZL1 so they know the car .. maybe worth a try

I didn't know that Al Ghandi can diagnose Liberty's vehicles :confused: I spoke with the workshop manager at Sharjah workshop and I made my frustration clear to him, he promised me that they will inspect the car again thoroughly using their "top" engineering team. I can only wait for now and hope for the best!

Bufflex,

I'm sorry that you have had so many difficulties with your Escalade! I see that you're writing from Dubai - have you tried working with Customer Service from your region already? If you were to visit http://ae-en.cadillacarabia.com/ you should be able to locate information on how to contact an agent in your area. Unfortunately, as Katie and I are based in the United States, we would be unable to look into this further with you ourselves.

All the best,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

Hi Sarah, thanx for your response. One of my main problems is the customer service! I was just wondering that day if I can send an email to GM HQ explaining the issues im facing and the dealer's response to them, is there any point in doing that? Oh yea and just for correction, my car isn't an Escalade its a CTS V Coupe 2011.

kstoff
06-02-12, 09:41 PM
I feel your pain. I've owned BMWs, Nissans, and Subarus...I can tell you GM by far has the worse customer service. The way I have been treated by Cadillac dealers I will never buy another. I do admit though I love the car, but the next sedan will be a m5.

SoCal_V
06-03-12, 01:34 AM
I feel your pain. I've owned BMWs, Nissans, and Subarus...I can tell you GM by far has the worse customer service. The way I have been treated by Cadillac dealers I will never buy another. I do admit though I love the car, but the next sedan will be a m5.

Same here.

oxymoron
07-31-12, 10:59 AM
Sort of late to the game, but white smoke from tailpipe could be coolant burning off from a cylinder/cylinders. Also coolant leak from cracked head or cylinder could cause detonation (knock) that you are hearing. First start in morning will produce some water vapor from tailpipe.
If the white smoke smells sweet, though, it is probably coolant. Not good. Hope it is not this.

hcvone
07-31-12, 11:29 AM
As said it's not an American car thing, I have had some high price Euro junk too, there are just some cars with a lot of problems in any model, like hitting the lottery, it happens. I have had 10 new Escalade's, 8 have or had never been to the shop for any warranty repair, 1 had a bad gas cap, and 1 exploded in my garage with a few hundred mile on it, GM replaced that. Call the 800 number and start a claim, you maybe surprised. :)

ItsJustMyCaddy
07-31-12, 11:12 PM
I have had a 2007 CTS-V, a 2010 ESV Escalade, and currently a 2010 CTS-V sedan. Got rid of the first two at around 50k miles and have 36k right now on the 2010 V. Other than the wheel clicking that was resolved on first visit to dealer, not one issue with any of them.

NAX-121
08-01-12, 09:54 AM
:hmm: Guess ive been on the lucky side of things also. My 09 V sedan with now 30,000 miles has had little issues and yes I too "Lost My Marbles" and as it seems ill have to do again. But having a sold dealer service team behind me has been a first. V has nothing on my prior Merc.(A black hole that only swallowed money). Plus i cant even type this without laughing cause it blows my mind....i have an 05 EXT with 223,000miles. Only major issue was replacing the trany after pulling a 27'boat and daily vegas traffic. The wife and i were thinking about the SRX or another used ext but ours still runs like a top and best part is its paid for. Hope things turn around for you. Good Luck amigo.

Txstang1
04-20-13, 03:43 PM
I'm not too happy with my purchase either. 14k miles, been in for the wheels clicking twice and now there is a puddle of oil under the car. :(Update - it turned out to be a loose oil filter. I tightened it up, but I did call the dealer and let them know what happened.

on the wheels, when it came time to take it in a 3rd time, I told them they needed to fix it this time as I live 35 miles away and this getting old. I told the service writer about putting grease on the rotor hat and mounting surface on the wheel, and while he said they couldn't do that because something to do with service bulletin, the car hasn't had the issue since then. So I'm thinking it was an un-official fix. Either way I was happy with the result.

RaVeNous
04-20-13, 04:05 PM
I'm sure the OP babied the car for those 16000 miles too......

Sorry you're not happy, and hopefully you find a dealer to work with. If you could afford a GTR, and wanted one, why did you get a v. That's a different price and performance point altogether. Trouble free are they? hardly.

mashthepedal
04-21-13, 01:03 PM
I'm sure the OP babied the car for those 16000 miles too......

Sorry you're not happy, and hopefully you find a dealer to work with. If you could afford a GTR, and wanted one, why did you get a v. That's a different price and performance point altogether. Trouble free are they? hardly.

What's your point? If he didn't baby the car, he should expect to have all these problems? What other cars have you owned?

Random84
04-21-13, 02:20 PM
So... another reason to preservethe OEM warranty? :D (did not realize you were foreign, OP - I'm sure that changes things for you regarding proper service).

In all seriousness, with white smoke, misfiring and other assorted symptoms (the most grave being white smoke), I'd be worried about a cylinder head gasket or similar fault (even a leaky intake depending on how the coolant lines are run), where you're getting antifreeze into the cylinder.

Sounds like you A: need a new dealer, B: need to start checking the oil and coolant for contamination - I would suspect intake sealing issues since they've already replaced the Supercharger. My car is still on order so I'm not familiar with how coolant lines are run on the LSA, but I'd wager they either route through the throttle body or the intake, possibly explaining the white smoke and poor running condition.

the blur
04-21-13, 07:44 PM
White smoke is coolant entering the combustion chamber.

theamcguy
04-21-13, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately the poster is in Dubai, probably only 1 Cadillac dealer. The car has problems, unfortunately the dealer is either not equipped to handle the problem or really couldn't care less. I mean any dealer gives you the ole "that's normal" for an obvious problem, they have no clue beyond oil changes and parts replacement. They are parts changers. If you can find someone to diagnose and fix, then Cadillac will stand behind it. I would take my car to another GM dealer (Holden I believe has outlets in Dubai and should honor the warranty) maybe Opel? If no GM then I would try BMW or Mercedes for diagnosis and then arrange Cadillac to reimburse the repair that they do.

sybersport
04-24-13, 11:47 PM
In Dubai, yes

$80K in Canada as well