: STS headlight options HID? Side marker Bulb replacement procedure?

HiZ
05-30-12, 03:21 AM
Ok here is is

Has anyone swapped out the headlights/fog/High beam for any of the HID options?

and

HOW do I get to the side marker light on the driver side?

Chadwick
05-30-12, 09:01 PM
Side marker, turn your wheel all the way to the left, remove the plastic cover in wheel well (5 or 6 push rivets), you will then see the side marker. There is one clip holding it on, simply depress the clip and it should pop out.

curtc
05-31-12, 08:38 PM
Can you get to that corner marker light in the headlight this way too? I know I could in my CTS, small screw cap on the bottom of the headlight assembly...also, 194 bulb or something else?

eatyoursandwich
06-01-12, 02:48 PM
Can you get to that corner marker light in the headlight this way too? I know I could in my CTS, small screw cap on the bottom of the headlight assembly...also, 194 bulb or something else?

Simply put, no. There is an access door on the back of the headlamp assembly that needs to come off to get to the socket and yes, it is a 194. The access door has 4 bolts, 8 or 10mm if IIRC.

Like I say to pretty much everyone who owns a car like this where the bumper cover needs to be removed for most front-end modifications, self-service, etc; Learn how to remove the bumper cover. All you need is a floor jack and basic tools (a socket wrench and a flat head screwdriver to release the pop-pins). No DIYs or even advanced mechanical know-how needed.

curtc
06-01-12, 03:52 PM
There's got to be a way to get at that door without taking the bumper off...

eatyoursandwich
06-01-12, 04:33 PM
There's got to be a way to get at that door without taking the bumper off...

You could pull the engine.

I've never done this, but just from looking at my N* bay, you could take off the intake on the passenger side. No idea how you would get to the driver's side without a socket wrench made for ants.

EChas3
06-01-12, 08:26 PM
Be careful not to break the bulb socket and use the OEM bulb to color-match the headlights. Members don't all pull the bumper but those that do claim it takes less than 30 minutes.

curtc
06-01-12, 08:51 PM
So for the ones that don't, how do they get at it? Also, the one that works is an ugly ass yellow one, doesn't match the HIDs at all..if that's OEM I definitely don't want that....

EChas3
06-01-12, 09:27 PM
OEM has a silver/blue tint.

Charles Warren
06-03-12, 03:19 AM
i never pulled my bumper off and have changed mine 5 or 6 times. its a 7mm bolt there on the side of the headlight remove that and hope you have small hands. and before i lose you i have an intake on my car so you will need to remove the intake if you have the oem box and on the passenger side you will have to remove the fuse box i do the same on the cts which i did remove the bumper the first time but not anymore.

MDdrew10
11-15-12, 03:12 PM
Hello. If my 2005 STS currently has HID bulbs, do I have to replace them with HID bulbs or will any bulb (appropriate for the car) work?

Ludacrisvp
11-15-12, 04:16 PM
Hello. If my 2005 STS currently has HID bulbs, do I have to replace them with HID bulbs or will any bulb (appropriate for the car) work?

The D1S HID lamp is the only low beam light that is appropriate for your car.
You will not be able to use a halogen lamp in its place.