: Leather seating - All Cadillacs have it ?

jsandoval713
05-29-12, 08:30 PM
Was at work today and me and a co worker were goin back n forth with interior in lacs. Ive never seen a lac with no leather. Have any of yall? I thought every one came with leather

jayoldschool
05-29-12, 08:33 PM
Are you talking about new, or in the past? Plenty of them used to have cloth or velour standard, with leather optional.

orconn
05-29-12, 08:46 PM
Chad, is cloth even optional on new Cadillacs?

brandondeleo
05-29-12, 10:06 PM
I don't think cloth is available on new Caddies at all. Cloth was an available option up until '99 s far as I'm aware, at least on the DeVille, but I'm pretty sure the STS wasn't, and I don't know about the '00-'05 DeVille. I want cloth. Screw leather.

cadi509
05-29-12, 10:35 PM
^^^im totally opposite of you lol screw cloth in anything I want leather, idk why but I think the saddle leather in the king ranch fords look bad a**, I always use the meguilars leather cleaner/conditioner it works awesome, leaves a great smell, and doesn't leave any greasy residue

cadillac kevin
05-29-12, 10:40 PM
^^^im totally opposite of you lol screw cloth in anything I want leather, idk why but I think the saddle leather in the king ranch fords look bad a**, I always use the meguilars leather cleaner/conditioner it works awesome, leaves a great smell, and doesn't leave any greasy residue

I have leather buckets in my FWB and I wouldnt have it any other way (except maybe trofeo buckets instead of bravada buckets). I love the softness of the leather. I'm poor, so I clean my seats with Goop orange smelling hand cleaner. It gets the leather clean and makes it smell like oranges.

77CDV
05-29-12, 11:54 PM
Cadillacs used to have the most wonderful assortment of cloth interiors, usually two or three cloth choices per model, in addition to leather. By the 1980s, velour was the only cloth option, and as mentioned about, even that disappeared after the 1999 model year.

Jesda
05-30-12, 02:34 AM
I guess there's that simulated leatherette stuff in the base CTS for those who dont want leather. I guess its vinyl?

vincentm
05-30-12, 02:39 AM
Pleather...Chrysler 300's love it....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-30-12, 10:10 AM
My '92 Sedan deVille had an awesome velour, but yeah, Cadillacs since about 2000 have only had leather.

amunderdog
05-30-12, 11:34 AM
Have a 1994/1995 SLS with Cloth seats. I bought it mostly because of that:)
Had 1969 Sedan Deville with satin like seats seemed like it had a fire bird or something embroidered on the back seat.

Lupin
05-30-12, 12:06 PM
From about 2000 through 2010 only leather was available. After the 2nd gen CTS came out they began offering a (admittedly pretty nice) pleather in the new Cadillacs as base, and of course the first gen V series had leather with "microsuede" buckets. Before 2000 it wasn't rare to see the super plushy velour seats, which I have a soft spot for as well.

jayoldschool
05-30-12, 10:51 PM
There you go:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/Cadillac/cadillac014.jpg

MotownPimp
05-31-12, 12:56 AM
My eyes, my eyes. Make it go away!!

concorso
05-31-12, 09:11 PM
From about 2000 through 2010 only leather was available. After the 2nd gen CTS came out they began offering a (admittedly pretty nice) pleather in the new Cadillacs as base, and of course the first gen V series had leather with "microsuede" buckets. Before 2000 it wasn't rare to see the super plushy velour seats, which I have a soft spot for as well.Vinyl/Pleather was standard in the 1st gen CTS' too...leather was optional.

jayoldschool
05-31-12, 09:27 PM
My eyes, my eyes. Make it go away!!

How can you call yourself a pimp and not like those seats???

:tisk:

MotownPimp
06-01-12, 12:42 AM
Are you kidding? In my silk mohair-wool-worsted-continental-to-the-bone-two-hundred-and-fifty-
dollar, hustler's suit, very popular white-on-white tab-collar shirt, and very thin silk hustler's
necktie? Man, that blue stuff could rub off on the threads!

I much prefer the white-on-white in white "Hog"

:cool2:

(With all do props to the Natural Man)

orconn
06-01-12, 12:46 AM
Are you kidding? In my silk mohair-wool-worsted-continental-to-the-bone-two-hundred-and-fifty-
dollar, hustler's suit, very popular white-on-white tab-collar shirt, and very thin silk hustler's
necktie? Man, that blue stuff could rub off on the threads!

I have to admit, Motown, you gotta a point!

mad_caddy
06-01-12, 11:04 AM
I love love love leather interior, but this plushy crushed velvet like interior is very similar to what my 89' Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance had, and it was THE most comfortable thing ever. The back seat was more comfortable than my bed!

jayoldschool
06-01-12, 10:33 PM

Will it make you feel better if I tell you that I have white leather D'Elegance seats in my lowrider?

:thumbsup:

Faded Crest
06-02-12, 01:20 PM
I guess there's that simulated leatherette stuff in the base CTS for those who dont want leather. I guess its vinyl?

Vinyl=:ack:

Let's see... What kind of cars had vinyl seats?... :hmm:

Chevy Chevettes
Plymouth Horizons
Renault Encores
Dodge Aspens
Datsun B-210's

Need I go on?

orconn
06-02-12, 02:47 PM
Vinyl=:ack:

Let's see... What kind of cars had vinyl seats?... :hmm:

Chevy Chevettes
Plymouth Horizons
Renault Encores
Dodge Aspens
Datsun B-210's

Need I go on?

Perhaps we should: Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Volvo, Oldsmobile Toronado, Buick Riviera, and many more!

Faded Crest
06-02-12, 03:38 PM
^^^ Touché

However the vinyl seats sucked in all those cars. I think few people would choose vinyl over leather, and none with any taste..

orconn
06-02-12, 05:08 PM
I will leave the matter of taste up to you, but as a matter of choice for certain applications, I have found the "Benz-Tex" vinyl used on German cars to be preferable to "real" leather when its' ability to stand up to the wear and tear was more important than the aesthetic beauty (aroma, feel and appearance) of real leather. Of course this all supposes that the quality of the leather and that of the synthetic leather are at least equal. The high quality synthetic leather used in German cars imported to the U.S. since soon after the World War II has been of such good quality that not only did it stand up to use in a superior fashion. but most Americans couldn't distinguish it from the real leather used in German cars. While for me German seats are not very comfortable, I have to say that their seating surfaces (whether leather of vinyl) certainly stand up better to use than the leather that comes in American cars. Must be from from all the German's experience of seating materials in taxis throughout the world!

Faded Crest
06-02-12, 05:30 PM
:noidea: I don't know anything about German vinyl, so I will defer. But I have never seen any vinyl that I would consider superior to genuine leather. I remember the first time I got a close look at one of the newer Chrysler 300's. The thing that stuck out more than anything else was fact that they used vinyl for the seats. Since then whenever I see one the thing that comes to mind is the vinyl seats. I just shake my head and wonder, "What were they thinking?".

My disdain for vinyl is probably rooted in my growing up in Maine. I wonder how many vinyl seats cracked and broke in -10F temps. Then in the spring when they thawed, the coarse edge of the broken leather would dig into your legs if you were wearing shorts.

Aron9000
06-03-12, 05:54 AM
Orr, that "Benz-Tex" vinyl was freaking awesome from a looks/durabilty standpoint, hell it even felt nice IMO compared to other vinyl/sythetic seats. Really that's about the only vinyl upholstery that I can tolerate.

When I buy a 60's or 70's vintage Caddy in the next couple of years, I am specifically looking for one with psychedelic patterned, original cloth seats(I'd also consider velour seats) The cloths Cadillac used back in the day were awesome. Great quality, interesting to look at, wore like iron compared to leather seats.

All that being said, the best thing about high quality leather seats is the smell. All three of my Caddys had that intoxicating leather scent when you opened the door. Jaguars are the same way, but I've noticed on all the German cars with real leather, while the seats wear like iron, they don't have that leather smell. Nor do they feel supple like American or British cars with leather seats.

jayoldschool
06-03-12, 09:11 PM
Both of these have vinyl seats (mine is the 65, btw). Still make you barf?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/011-2.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/006-1.jpg

Faded Crest
06-04-12, 01:19 AM
Alright, I give up.... Vinyl rules. :rolleyes:

BTW, Nice Impala! :thumbsup:

brandondeleo
06-04-12, 10:23 AM
]I wonder how many vinyl seats cracked and broke in -10F temps. Then in the spring when they thawed, the coarse edge of the broken leather would dig into your legs if you were wearing shorts.
I know exactly what you mean... :mad:

talismandave
06-04-12, 10:36 AM
Even though I live up north, it must not be far enough north to prefer vinyl to cloth or leather in a convertible in the summer sun with the top down all day!
:shocked2:
I still have the pattern of my Wranglers black vinyl seat imprinted on the back of my legs!

cadillac kevin
06-04-12, 11:19 AM
Even though I live up north, it must not be far enough north to prefer vinyl to cloth or leather in a convertible in the summer sun with the top down all day!
:shocked2:
I still have the pattern of my Wranglers black vinyl seat imprinted on the back of my legs!

About 10 years ago, my dad has a metallic blue/ green 77 impala wagon with all black vinyl interior. It was a great 3 season car. I say that because in the summer, it was insanely hot in the car. When you opened the door, it felt like sticking your face in an oven. Sitting down on the seats too early (after opening the car) would literally burn the vinyl pattern into your legs if you were wearing shorts (people would wonder why the backs of my legs had red lines in them). Then there were the chrome belt buckles that were always very hot (because of sitting on the black seats.) If you grabbed them before the interior cooled down (which took 10- 15 minutes), you might as well have stuck your hand on a stove burner.
Needless to say, because of that car, I will never have a car with bllack vinyl seats.

Faded Crest
06-04-12, 01:06 PM
Another thing I remember about a lot of vinyl seat cars is how after the vinyl cracked and the seating surface lost it's integrity, the welt was soon to follow, resulting in a metal barb that would stab you in the leg or at least rip your jeans. I have taken wire snips to more than one broken welt.

talismandave
06-04-12, 05:12 PM
:lol:I forgot about that! Metal in a seat welt, They really didn't worry about weight back then did they!

----------

When I was selling in the early 80's I lost many a pair of dress pants to that in trade-ins. That was when I first started shopping at thrift stores!

jsandoval713
06-09-12, 08:18 PM
Thnx for tha info ppl