: Squeeling and Rattling coming from Power Steering Pump..?

perfect
05-29-12, 05:46 PM
My car has an intermittent rattle that presents itself whenever I turn the wheel (lock-to-lock while parked, or while turning slowly and driving slowly - like backing out of a parking space). The rattle is fast paced metal-on-metal sound that can be heard in the cabin with the windows up.

My mechanic buddy took a listen with his stethoscope and thinks that the power steering pump bearing sounds like it's squealing. We lifted the car up but could not isolate a noise from the undercarraige. The noise definitely sounds like it's coming from the front lower portion of the car.

Could the rattling somehow be caused by the power steering pump since this issue only seems to happen while steering? (Of note, I do have DMH low-profile cutouts which could be leaking...but I can't explain how it only rattles when I'm turning).

Is the power steering pump easy to replace? Any good sources for a replacement?

Any thoughts?

I am taking my car on a 3000 mile road trip (for my wedding) next week and would like to know that the car will be making it one piece.

darkman
05-29-12, 06:33 PM
It would seem to be either the power steering gear or the power steering pump. see attached.

perfect
05-29-12, 07:34 PM
Darkman! As always - much appreciated. You're an absolute gem to this forum. Thanks!!

perfect
05-31-12, 09:20 AM
Anybody have any recommendations where I can pick up the PS pump and not spend too much money?

Or is there any aftermarket products which are better?

darkman
05-31-12, 10:24 AM
Anybody have any recommendations where I can pick up the PS pump and not spend too much money?

Or is there any aftermarket products which are better?

I show that the GM part number as 21997867. Google hits show that this is available online at discounted prices. The data bases I check indicate that this part is particular to 2004-2007 CTS & CTS-Vs so I doubt there are are aftermarket substitutes labeled as such although there may be units similiar enough to work.