: ext or ctsv sedan thoughts?

boycer11
05-29-12, 01:50 PM
Was looking at picking up either a used 07-up ext or a 09-up ctsv in the next few months. I like the utility of the ext but reading this forum, it seems like their is a lot of problems with the escalade. Of course the ctsv will be a lot more fun to drive. Was hoping to get thoughts of those who have maybe owned both. Thanks

hcvone
05-29-12, 04:08 PM
Was looking at picking up either a used 07-up ext or a 09-up ctsv in the next few months. I like the utility of the ext but reading this forum, it seems like their is a lot of problems with the escalade. Of course the ctsv will be a lot more fun to drive. Was hoping to get thoughts of those who have maybe owned both. Thanks

I have Escalade's and CTSV's (coupes) you are not talking about the same things and I know you know that, I have had a dozen Escalade's since 2003, they have been in the shop way less than my Range Rover (that's a given) BMW's and Benz's, way less. Like anything used, if you didn't know the owner you don't really know how the car was cared for or driven, it's a gamble. I have a lot of cars including a twin turbo 458, and like driving my Escalade more than them all. JMO

fivepix
05-29-12, 07:06 PM
It really depends on your lifestyle. I had an 2007 for 5 years with no major issues.

I recently picked up a 2011 but I was on the fence between getting a CTS vs another Escalade. After some of debating I ended up picking the Escalade, yes I love zipping around in a sendan or a coupe but I need the bigger vehicle for when I travel out of town.

BEarle
05-29-12, 08:51 PM
Fivepix is right......when the CTSv coupe came out I was tempted to trade the escalade in but after a lot of thought my lifestyle wouldn't allow it plus my business I need a big SUV and lastly the rough winters we have here in MA. It really depends on your lifestyle........

kars79
05-29-12, 10:44 PM

I have had 3 escalade so far.
07-08-09.
I thought about trading my escalade with cts v coupe last year but last minute decided not to.
On the other hand my cousin traded his 08 escalade to a 11 silver ctsv coupe.
He says he likes his car a lot n get a lot of compliments wherever he goes but I don't think he is as happy with it as he was with escalade.
I get to drive his car when he is out of town.
I love the torque of the V but overall i like the drive and feel of the escalade much better.
I wouldn't trade my escalade for a V.
If you can buy both it will be great.
I personally would love to have Audi A7 as a second car with my Escalade.

quattrotman
05-29-12, 11:19 PM
Those 2 vehicles are completely different in both form and function IMO. I have an EXT but have had a wagon (Audi A4) among other SUVs, sedans and sports cars. For utility, a wagon is great but it is nowhere near what an EXT or a pickup truck is. EXT is a truck where a CTS is a car. The EXT will use more gas and does not handle or perform like a CTS but it will haul and tow a lot more and carry multiple people in comfort and have no probs in snow etc. I was skeptical about buying my EXT as I was used to owning Foriegn cars. Besides some poor trim finishes and cheap materials, I am quite happy with my Escalade and it has been very, very reliable. I think if you do some research, you will find that you will have a hard time finding major problems with the Escalade. Every car has issues but IMO the platform has been around for a long time and shared with A LOT of other vehicles... it has stood the test of time. There are many, many erxamples of this platform with several hundred thousand miles and still going strong. If you want utility, get an EXT. If you want fun with a bit of extra cargo space get the CTS....mind you, I have lots of fun driving my EXT :)

J W
05-29-12, 11:34 PM
It also would depend on your budget, what you are driving now and your needs. Like most responses have been on this subject, they are two different worlds. Its good to be able to alternate between a car and a truck or suv. But if you can only choose one choose the one that best fits your needs. Doesen't look right carrying drywall on top of your cts-v.

boycer11
05-30-12, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I do live in the midwest by St. Louis, so the ext would be nice in winter but think I could handle the ctsv. Dont have kids to worry about and most of my usage is carrying golf clubs. I dont really need anything special for work, course we put an offer in on a new house and the ext might come in pretty handy. I had an 08 Sierra Denali which is a lot like the ext and I really enjoyed that. Sold it to my dad, so I cant buy one of those. ;-) Guess maybe I will get a ext first then look at a ctsv or corvette as a second car later.

M5eater
06-01-12, 07:49 AM
For utility, a wagon is great but it is nowhere near what an EXT or a pickup truck is. EXT is a truck where a CTS is a car without folding rear seats.
edited for correctness.

As mentioned, they're both polar opposites, bla bla bla. I was just in here to remind the OP that there is almost *no* utility in a V sedan aside from grocery shopping. Just incase you thought you might be able to stuff something even moderatly big in there ocassionally.