: States most likely to give a traffic ticket

Jesda
05-28-12, 11:58 PM
1. NEVADA
2. THE WHOLE SOUTH

http://travelkit.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/24/11837705-taking-a-road-trip-this-holiday-weekend-watch-out-for-speed-traps

The NMA found that:
Nevada is the state most likely to issue traffic tickets, followed by Georgia and Alabama. (In 2010, Florida took the top spot; Georgia and Nevada tied for second place.)
Wyoming is the state least likely to issue speeding tickets, followed closely by Montana. These two ranked at the bottom in 2010 as well.

State
Nevada
Georgia
Alabama
Florida
Maryland
Louisiana
Texas
District of Columbia
California
North Carolina
Missouri
New York
Mississippi
South Carolina
Indiana
Washington
Tennessee
Illinois
Arizona
Iowa
Oklahoma
Virginia
New Jersey
Ohio
Kansas
Minnesota
Colorado
Connecticut
Wisconsin
Michigan
Massachusetts
Utah
Nebraska
Pennsylvania
Kentucky
Oregon
Arkansas
New Mexico
Hawaii
Delaware
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Idaho
Vermont
West Virginia
North Dakota
South Dakota
Maine
Alaska
Montana
Wyoming

Metro
Atlanta
Los Angeles
Dallas-Fort Worth
Miami
New York
Chicago
District of Columbia
Houston
Orlando
San Diego

dkozloski
05-29-12, 12:08 AM
If you get a ticket in Alaska you asked for it.

orconn
05-29-12, 01:02 AM
If you get a ticket in California it's when their is a lull in the traffic, or it is just a low traffic period of the day. Same is true on I-95 passing through Virginia (at least), if you are all alone in break between two bunches of cars exceeding the speed limit you are in trouble! The Troopers look for the lone speeders that are easy to apprehend.

I have yet to see the tailgating laws enforced anywhere in the US, despite the obvious opportunity for collecting many easy fines!

The-Dullahan
05-29-12, 02:44 AM
Nevada? Really, I do believe it, but I also know you can blow by highway patrol in excess of 100 MPH on I95 in Las Vegas without even a concern they will stop you. Open bottles of alcohol are also common sights there and I even once saw a car with solid white marking lights in the rear and solid white brake lamps too (I honestly first thought he was just driving backwards down the interstate, because I've dealt with it before out there)

I have to agree with dkozloski about Alaska too.

Submariner409
05-29-12, 09:51 AM
Right now, Maryland IS bad for all sorts of tickets - there is a cop car behind every billboard - but I don't believe the enforcement is in the interest of "safety'. It's being used to increase cash flow to the state and county police departments.

Florida - Alachua county (north central) is notorious: Going down 301 headed for Gainesville from west of Jacksonville, just before you cross the county line into Alachua, there's a large, prominent billboard warning of speed traps in and near the "towns" of Starke and Waldo. Yep - citizens of Alachua county actually lease a billboard outside their county line to advertise the fact that the unwary driver is a cash cow for podunk little burgs. (Actually, just about any small Southeastern town can be said to operate their police forces the same way........)

thebigjimsho
05-29-12, 02:05 PM
New Hampshire may be lower than Massachusetts, but if they didn't target Mass drivers, they'd be at the bottom...

truckinman
05-29-12, 03:06 PM
Indiana is the worst for truck drivers. They ticket a trucker for going 1 over. Well a lot do. Some don't. But Indiana has really grown a reputation for the least forgiving state to drive a truck thru east of the Mississippi.

talismandave
05-29-12, 07:43 PM
Don't forget to take into account that a states average won't reflect a speed trap community or county!

brandondeleo
05-29-12, 09:04 PM
Western Washington is riddled with traffic cameras and douchey cops, but you're VERY unlikely to get a ticket in this area. There are one or two cop traps, but if you live anywhere in the county you know where they are.

77CDV
05-29-12, 11:02 PM
Excepting holiday weekends, you need to be either driving like a maniac or speeding all on your lonesome to get a ticket in the LA metroplex. If you're in traffic, and that traffic is zipping along at 75-80, you will never get a speeding ticket in LA. Outside LA, it's just like any other rural state (1/3 of CA's population lives in LA county). Up here in Ventura Co. (just northwest of LA), if you keep it around 70, you'll be OK. Over that, you take your chances with the Chippies, and they are all over the place shooting radar up here. On surface streets, you have to be extremely careful, as the sheriffs here are very bored. Routine traffic stops will commonly summon at least six sheriff's cruisers. It's VERY quiet up here.

Submariner409
05-30-12, 09:10 AM
Just thought of another way for raising money from traffic violations - DC and the MD/VA suburbs are riddled with automatic cameras on top of intersection traffic signals: Run a yellow or red, you get an expensive nasty note in the mail.

dkozloski
05-30-12, 12:52 PM
Since the 1950s Washington State has had the reputation for being very strict on traffic enforcement. On the east coast I found that Virginia was just about the same. The only way I could make time there was to get right behind a cruising trooper headed the way I was going because they operated about 10 MPH over the speed limit. In Idaho the troopers get behind out of state cars at night, turn on the high beams, and wait for them to try to open some distance. I've crossed the state of Wyoming with the footfeed flat on the floor the whole way and never seen a patrolman. Alaska State Troopers will accept a plausible story as long as you're not drunk or reckless.

Kev
05-30-12, 12:57 PM
... In Idaho the troopers get behind out of state cars at night, turn on the high beams, and wait for them to try to open some distance.....When I get high beams behind me I adjust my mirrors to reflect it right back at them. Pretty effective most of the time.

ben.gators
05-30-12, 07:16 PM
Florida - Alachua county (north central) is notorious: Going down 301 headed for Gainesville from west of Jacksonville, just before you cross the county line into Alachua, there's a large, prominent billboard warning of speed traps in and near the "towns" of Starke and Waldo. Yep - citizens of Alachua county actually lease a billboard outside their county line to advertise the fact that the unwary driver is a cash cow for podunk little burgs. (Actually, just about any small Southeastern town can be said to operate their police forces the same way........)

:yeah:
Waldo is very infamous for doing this! Couple of my friends got ticket there! This is how it works: For example the speed limit is 65 MPH, then there is a new 50MPH speed limit sign right on the corner and 20 feet down the road the Waldo cops are waiting to pull you over for speeding! This is how it works!

Lord Cadillac
05-30-12, 08:03 PM
In South Florida we have cop after cop after cop on the streets. Now I don't know if there's a real need for this - maybe there is - but I don't see it. Maybe without them there'd be serious problems - I don't know. I just can't imagine things being SO BAD that there has to be a patrol car driving around every corner every few minutes. We have the regular police department and the sheriff's department vehicles all over the place simultaneously...

talismandave
05-31-12, 09:41 AM
Where's Waldo?:)
Sorry, I couldn't resist!:histeric:

RobbieB
05-31-12, 10:05 AM
For me it's Indiana. I've gotten so many tickets driving through there. The police are vicious.

thebigjimsho
05-31-12, 08:57 PM
On the Interstates in Indiana, I see a lot of troopers but they all seem to patrol the same way. They tuck themselves somewhere, but not totally out of sight and they watch you awhile before targeting you. I think for dummies, they get you but for the watchful, they allow you to slow down...

CadillacLuke24
06-02-12, 05:39 PM
Koz FTW! Like he said, there's so much open space that you can get away with A LOT. Not going to go into detail, but I've had some wild times, and I haven't gotten a ticket. YET. :sneaky:

JimmyH
06-02-12, 07:39 PM
When I get high beams behind me I adjust my mirrors to reflect it right back at them. Pretty effective most of the time.

I don't even use my rearview mirror. If that wasn't where my backup monitor is, I would take it down.

Aron9000
06-03-12, 04:46 AM
My mom got a ticket in Indiana, 78 in a 70 I think. Anyways, she wasn't doing anything stupid, just cruising along in the right lane, said she wasn't using the cruise control and said it just kind of got away from her. She was in a rental car of some sort, something she wasn't familiar with, said she didn't even realize she was going that fast. Such BS, I know they saw her out of town plate and figured she'd just pay the fine rather than show up in court. She paid the fine, such a scam IMO.

Wafdof
06-07-12, 04:07 PM
I've lived in Alabama since 1973 and never got a speeding ticket. I routinely travel I-20 and I-65 running 75-80 (that seems to be the average traffic flow) and pass troopers and county sitting on the roadside. Those that DO get caught seem to be running faster than 80. And 18 wheelers. ALDOT has roaming inspection/weigh station units that target the big rigs. That being said, DO NOT SPEED IN CONSTRUCTION ZONES! The State Troopers are stone serious about safety in construction zones. And the fines are doubled. There were severe budget cutbacks and with the trend for beating up on public sector employees being popular the number of Troopers was cut by about half. Don't see many out on random patrols. Most are detailed to construction sites and whatever crackdown is in the media at the moment.

FWIW, the only speeding ticket I ever got was in South Dakota.:hmm:

Aztec ETC ECS
06-09-12, 01:31 PM
1. NEVADA
2. THE WHOLE SOUTH

Nevada #1? Really? Then I guess I dodged a major bullet. Got pulled over in a rented Mustang in Nevada on Rt.80 goin triple digits some years ago passing triple tractor trailers. Cop said, "The trucks go 85. DON'T PASS THEM!" I said, "OK, thank-you" & he let me go. Stopped at the next exit for a wipe.