: 09 Escalade thin hood

Nice Ride
05-29-12, 12:13 AM
Question, who else has closed the hood on a 88k vehicle and left a small ding with your finger? I had a small ding right above the chrome strip when I got the truck, small but noticeable. Less than 40k on this truck, checked the oil etc, closed the hind and what do you know the hood bent 3 " same size ding as the first. This is the thinnest hood and poor design. In all my years of owning cars, trucks, have I ever seen or heard of a finger causing a dent in a hood closing it with " normal " pressure. I saw a Tahoe withy he same color with the hood finds in the same place. Is this a warrantee item? No hood should bend by simply closing ir...

toygar
05-29-12, 01:45 AM
i made one on mine,i was pissed

hcvone
05-29-12, 06:55 AM
I was warned about this in 2006 when I got my first 2007 by my salesmen, and there is a caution in the owners manual, but not many people here read those things, I have had a lot of these trucks and you really need to be careful opening and closing the hood, but in GM defense there are several cars/trucks we see at our shop that need the same careful treatment from other manufacturers, it's just called making parts to the bare minumim and happens too often these days. :(

hannity
05-29-12, 11:16 AM
Question, who else has closed the hood on a 88k vehicle and left a small ding with your finger? I had a small ding right above the chrome strip when I got the truck, small but noticeable. Less than 40k on this truck, checked the oil etc, closed the hind and what do you know the hood bent 3 " same size ding as the first. This is the thinnest hood and poor design. In all my years of owning cars, trucks, have I ever seen or heard of a finger causing a dent in a hood closing it with " normal " pressure. I saw a Tahoe withy he same color with the hood finds in the same place. Is this a warrantee item? No hood should bend by simply closing ir...
Didn't have that issue with mine, sorry to hear about your problem. Hopefully they will improve to at least the standard of other manufacturers as far as that is concerned. Next gen is coming soon,but who knows they don't even put in cabin air filters in escalades like all other manufacturer's do,so only time will tell.

amunderdog
05-29-12, 12:04 PM
Everyone say -- Thank you CAFE Standards
http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/6-ways-new-cafe-standards-could-affect-you.html
3. Vehicle operating costs. Insurance costs could rise, both because of the increased cost of cars and the anticipated hike in collision repair costs associated with the greater use of the plastics, lightweight alloys and aluminum necessary for lighter, more fuel-efficient vehicles. (Plastics, lightweight alloys and aluminum are all more difficult than steel to repair.) NHTSA estimates that an additional $12-$15 billion will be spent on repairs over the lifespan of the 2017-'25 model-year vehicles.

Seems you are no longer buying the vehicle you want/need.
You are buying the vehicle they will allow you to own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8BIxK-cV5M

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-29-12, 01:12 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your frustration, Nice Ride! I am happy to document your feedback, and please feel free to PM me with your full name and VIN if you'd like me to research your ESV further for you (to check for recalls, etc.). I would recommend consulting with your dealership for an official diagnosis; then, they should be able to determine if it is under any warranty coverage.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

PeteKT
05-30-12, 12:48 PM
Mine has the same, i have a few of them, almost makes the hood look like it was at a bad body shop if you look close at them

hannity
05-30-12, 02:03 PM
Is this what you guys are talking about?

http://img292.imagevenue.com/loc140/th_839684572_PoorQualityHood_122_140lo.jpg (http://img292.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=839684572_PoorQualityHood_122_140lo. jpg)

rjm
05-30-12, 02:07 PM
Haven't noticed this on my Escalade, but did notice on my sister's Jag. I was looking at the engine and thought I'd dented her hood when I closed it. Not a good first impression.

Nice Ride
05-31-12, 10:24 PM
Mine are more to the right, not as big. Think of a door ding right where the hood starts to make a bend. It was done with my finger. Went to close the hood, it did not close, pressed down again, and. Ding.... If the hood tension is too strong and you have to apply extra pressure to close it and not too much pressure, but just right or else... This is insane. I've owned cars for over 30 years and never, ever have I had sheet metal bend from my fingers.
A. The sheet metal is extra thin.
B. My wife cannot close the hood.
C. I cannot close the hood unless I use extra force, or do it twice. I am very capable of properly closing a hood.

The force needed to close the hood is excessive.

My next visit to the Dealer will be interesting. Someone in the thread mentioned it states in the owners manual how to close the hood? Can you let me know what section or page?

Katie ( Siri ) how do I PM you.

Thanks everyone, I will try to post some pictures.

WARNING.... Don't start testing on your own hoods.... I don't want to hear ding all night long. Do yourself a favor, make sure you point out your hood has no dings in it before any service is ever performed on your car!!

I also bet that if you all take a close look at the end of your hood, you may just find some very small dents.....

MrHolland
06-01-12, 12:55 AM
Not mine, I use the chrome trim when I gently close my hood.

luxurylife33
06-01-12, 02:46 AM
i bought mine with about 6 dings on the front

ticktock
06-01-12, 04:37 AM
Mine has a couple of dents exactly like that. I couldn't figure out how they got there and figured the previous owner must have dropped something on it. Now I know...

hcvone
06-01-12, 07:40 AM
Mine are more to the right, not as big. Think of a door ding right where the hood starts to make a bend. It was done with my finger. Went to close the hood, it did not close, pressed down again, and. Ding.... If the hood tension is too strong and you have to apply extra pressure to close it and not too much pressure, but just right or else... This is insane. I've owned cars for over 30 years and never, ever have I had sheet metal bend from my fingers.
A. The sheet metal is extra thin.
B. My wife cannot close the hood.
C. I cannot close the hood unless I use extra force, or do it twice. I am very capable of properly closing a hood.

The force needed to close the hood is excessive.

My next visit to the Dealer will be interesting. Someone in the thread mentioned it states in the owners manual how to close the hood? Can you let me know what section or page?

Katie ( Siri ) how do I PM you.

Thanks everyone, I will try to post some pictures.

WARNING.... Don't start testing on your own hoods.... I don't want to hear ding all night long. Do yourself a favor, make sure you point out your hood has no dings in it before any service is ever performed on your car!!

I also bet that if you all take a close look at the end of your hood, you may just find some very small dents.....

There was a TSB for hard to close hoods on 08' Tahoe's, (same thing) but never saw one for Escalade's listed

----------

Not mine, I use the chrome trim when I gently close my hood.

And if you do that you will never have a problem. :)

robs07esv
06-01-12, 08:52 AM
I use the chrome trim and the palm of my hand to close mine and no issues. However, there is a small dent in the hood made my the PO who probably used his fingers to close it. I have always closed with palms since denting the hood on my Audi S8!! I have seen similar dents on hoods of a lot of new cars including the above mentioned Range Rover. As fuel economy standards change and manufactures have to save weight every car is going to see this regardless of who they are. Not to mention the fact they almost all hoods are held up by gas struts (requiring force to close) now because people can't properly attach a hood rod to the little hole to hold the hood open.

chakde
06-01-12, 03:31 PM
As mentioned I also use the chrome trim to close the hood. Didnt relaize I could bend the hood but the reason I use the chrome trim is that it leaves fingerprints on the painted surface and chrome is easlier to wipe fingerprints than the painted area.

MrHolland
06-01-12, 07:23 PM
^^^Yup^^^^

Nice Ride
06-01-12, 08:32 PM
Does it say anywhere in the owners manual to close the hood from the chrome strip? Someone in the thread mentioned in the owners manual it talks about the hood. Anyone find this. Meeting with dealer next week about a leaky front shock, will be interesting with what they tell me. Should be a warning sticker some ware, or some foam reinforcement under that tinfoil, no?

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-03-12, 05:52 PM
Hi again, Nice Ride! To private message me, click on my user name and a menu box should appear with a "private message" option. If that doesn't work, I'm always available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

The hood release section of the 2009 Escalade's owner manual begins on page 6-12, and it mentions that when you close the hood you should "bring the hood from full open to within 6 inches (152 mm) from the closed position, pause, then push the front center of the hood with a swift, firm motion to fully close the hood." I'm still searching to see if there are any specific chrome strip instructions in the manual, but unfortunately all I've noted so far is the secondary hood release near the center of the grille (page 6-13 as well).

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

quattrotman
06-04-12, 02:53 AM
I thought it was funny to see this thread because I thought there was something wrong with my hood latch. I have never owned a vehicle that is so hard to close the hood. Normally on every other car I have or have had, I lift the hood about 8-12 inches and just let it drop and it closes. This one I have to push down...I have been careful to not dent the hood...3 of the vehicles I looked at before I bought mine had dented hoods so it was a bit of a warning I guess. I normally use my palms right on the edge of the trim strip and hood...if you push too far up on the hood you will definitely dent it.

Nice Ride
06-12-12, 01:06 PM
Ok, did some testing on the Tin Foil Hood. For what ever reason, I was closing the hood from a full open position, doing it too fast, the strut that holds the hood is causing the excessive pressure when the hood is about to close. If you try to do it in one quick motion, the hood will most likely not close and bounce open with the safety latch.

DO NOT PUSH DOWN On the Hood top.

This process works for me.
Close the hood slowly till the safety latch catches, then with two hands, push down on the hood from the Chrome strip. Closes with ease.

Never let anyone try to close your hood, you risk. Ding, Ding, Ding....

If you go look at your hood closely, odds are you have a Ding.

Don't say I didn't tell you so...

dog123
06-12-12, 02:09 PM
This is also pretty important when you are waxing the center area of the hood - even slight pressure causes the material to "flex" and I'm always aftraid that this will result in a future ding as the metal gets older. Seems like they should have installed a support brace across the hood or should have made it out of a stronger material, possibly plastic like the product the bumpers are made of?

Ghost Deany
06-12-12, 08:46 PM
I have the 2 dings. Paint-less dent removal should be able to get these out right? i believe the 2 areas mine are in, you can get to from the holes under the front of the inside of the hood.

quattrotman
06-13-12, 01:47 AM
I have the 2 dings. Paint-less dent removal should be able to get these out right? i believe the 2 areas mine are in, you can get to from the holes under the front of the inside of the hood.

Paintless dent removal usually cannot remove dents that are on curved parts or creases in the sheet metal. The front edge where I have seen dents is one of those areas that is curved...but it doesn't hurt to ask.

corvette00
06-13-12, 09:35 AM
I always pull mine down using the latch then close on the chrome strip. My 09 had a dent in the center (not sure how this happened). The dent guy had to break the seal from the hood and support bracket, he popped the dent and re-sealed.

lmarquardt08
07-19-14, 04:07 AM
Off topic but do any of you know the best website to find custom cadillac ext 2011 hoods?

Ghost Deany
07-20-14, 11:50 PM
Forgot to reply to this. My caddy dealer had a paintless dent guy that comes in on wednesdays. He did both dings on the hood for 60$, completely gone cant tell they were ever there.

Prormk
07-21-14, 04:14 AM
Hey ghost,

Can you find out what they call that type of work? Or is it just "paintless dent removal" ?

Ghost Deany
07-21-14, 11:22 PM
It was just patinless dent repair/ding removal