: 2009 Escalade is possessed with electrical demons!

LakeGuy
05-28-12, 11:12 PM
I have been fighting a bizarre electrical issue since last summer. Three trips to the dealer have not resolved the issue. Anyone who has experienced the same thing, and found a resolution, please let me know.

Periodically while driving the vehicle electrical system begins to randomly 'pause'. It is most noticeable when using cruise control, as it will drop without any driver inputs. Often when this happens the radio also 'pauses'. Sometimes the cruise control will disengage when a turn signal is pressed as well.

Continuing to drive the vehicle causes things to progress. The 'pauses' will become more frequent, and will begin to display random warning lights (Stabilitrak, ABS, Airbag, etc.) Eventually the car gets to where it seems to reboot the entire electrical system while driving... DIC goes blank, radio quits, NAV screen shows the start-up screen, and often the transmission will downshift and doors will lock and unlock in rapid succession. The car then displays the typical start-up warning lights and the electrical systems seem to restart as though the key was just turned.

The concerning thing about this is it will all happen while driving at 65 or 70 MPH. Rather unnerving when it does all this on a busy interstate highway!

I've noticed the temporary fix is to shut down and power off the vehicle entirely. It may then be fine for the next 5 to 10 trips before it goes into this cycle again.

The first trip to the dealer they thought they had fixed the problem by finding a frayed wire in a harness near the emergency brake. The second time they found a "mega fuse" that was arcing. The third trip they found a code that caused them to replace the BCM. Unfortunately none of these efforts have resulted in a fix.

I'm getting extremely frustrated at the repeated trips to the dealer. It's still under factory warranty so they will gladly give it another shot but I feel like they are just randomly trying things at this point.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

hcvone
05-29-12, 06:42 AM
Did you get rid of the Delco battery? Have had more than a few weird things happen with Delco batteries over the years

LakeGuy
05-29-12, 08:02 AM
Not yet but after reading back through other threads comments are starting to point me toward the battery or cables.

This is starting to remind me of all the strange problems I had with an '06 STS. If the battery was off by just a bit all sorts of weird things happened.

The dealer said that if the body control module didn't fix it the next step is the powertrain control module. Not sure how that would help unless the PCM provides power to the BCM or something.

hcvone
05-29-12, 09:53 AM
Not yet but after reading back through other threads comments are starting to point me toward the battery or cables.

This is starting to remind me of all the strange problems I had with an '06 STS. If the battery was off by just a bit all sorts of weird things happened.

The dealer said that if the body control module didn't fix it the next step is the powertrain control module. Not sure how that would help unless the PCM provides power to the BCM or something.

If it was my truck I would replace the battery and check the cables real good

K9Caddy
05-29-12, 01:01 PM
I've actually had more issues with Optima batteries than I do with AC Delco ones. I'm on my 4th replacement yellow-top in less than 2 years. Seems like quality control is a hit or miss with Optima, I'd never buy from them again.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-29-12, 01:08 PM
Sorry to hear this, LakeGuy! I understand how repeat dealer visits could be very frustrating, and I'm happy to research further if your next dealer trip leaves you with the same concerns. Please send me an email anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with details like your full name, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership, and we can explore the options available to you.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

hcvone
05-29-12, 04:13 PM
I've actually had more issues with Optima batteries than I do with AC Delco ones. I'm on my 4th replacement yellow-top in less than 2 years. Seems like quality control is a hit or miss with Optima, I'd never buy from them again.

What we have been finding is that we been getting shipped older batteries that seem to have been sitting around, check the dates, this has caused some issues for us for sure. I just put two Die Hard platinum batteries in my platinum truck, I had to it just went together, oh yea traded some Zaino for the batteries. ;)

bstiffmanofsteel
05-29-12, 04:35 PM
Have them check the internal mode switch to the trans!

TexasAmber
06-26-12, 04:42 PM
My 2008 Escalade is currently in the shop and did the EXACT same thing. Please let me know if you found a fix for the problem. The down shifting has happened twice to me going down the highway & this past time seems to have blown out an injector. Any help would be appreciated!

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-27-12, 09:54 AM
My 2008 Escalade is currently in the shop and did the EXACT same thing. Please let me know if you found a fix for the problem. The down shifting has happened twice to me going down the highway & this past time seems to have blown out an injector. Any help would be appreciated!
Have you been to a dealership yet regarding this concern? I'm just an email away if you would like further assistance (see my email address above), and I'm sorry to see you've been experiencing this as well!

Katie

LakeGuy
07-04-12, 10:38 PM
The vehicle continued to have the electrical problems after the 3rd visit and BCM replacement. This time, however, the reset killed the engine. Luckily I was at an intersection and not traveling down the highway.

I drove straight to the dealer and requested to speak to the service manager, who was out. I then asked for, and spoke with the general manager of the dealership. He listened to my story and said if I was interested in trading out of the vehicle he could probably get me some factory assistance.

Long story short, I selected a 2012 Escalade I liked, negotiated a very good deal on it's own, and then a couple of hours later the general manager called to advise that he was able to get several thousand dollars more than we had discussed to help with the trade.

I was very surprised that this seemed to be relatively easy to accomplish. I had not opened a case with customer service, filed with the BBB or arbitration or even given GM written notice of the problem. While I realize that I could have followed all of the protocols and tried for a full buyback I was happy just to get out of my 3 year old SUV and into a brand new one with a very good deal.

Have to say I am extremely satisfied with the actions of the dealer and GM. I just hope they find the problem as part of the 'assistance' they received entails that they have to fix and resell the car on their lot (can't auction it).

cadmanchris
07-05-12, 10:48 PM
From the description of the symptoms, it seems like a GMLAN problem. There is an extensive bulletin of places where these circuits tend to short. One common place that I have found is by the brake pedal. The wires rub on the pedal bracket. One other thing I've seen is the FPCM (fuel pump control module) take down the communication line also. Have your dealer check these things thoroughly. It's not an easy problem to fix, but a good electrical tech can narrow it down.

hannity
07-06-12, 11:24 AM
From the description of the symptoms, it seems like a GMLAN problem. There is an extensive bulletin of places where these circuits tend to short. One common place that I have found is by the brake pedal. The wires rub on the pedal bracket. One other thing I've seen is the FPCM (fuel pump control module) take down the communication line also. Have your dealer check these things thoroughly. It's not an easy problem to fix, but a good electrical tech can narrow it down.

Nothing is worse than electrical problems in a vehicle. Thanks for posting this, I'm sure you will send people experiencing this in the right direction.

hcvone
07-09-12, 07:09 AM
The vehicle continued to have the electrical problems after the 3rd visit and BCM replacement. This time, however, the reset killed the engine. Luckily I was at an intersection and not traveling down the highway.

I drove straight to the dealer and requested to speak to the service manager, who was out. I then asked for, and spoke with the general manager of the dealership. He listened to my story and said if I was interested in trading out of the vehicle he could probably get me some factory assistance.

Long story short, I selected a 2012 Escalade I liked, negotiated a very good deal on it's own, and then a couple of hours later the general manager called to advise that he was able to get several thousand dollars more than we had discussed to help with the trade.

I was very surprised that this seemed to be relatively easy to accomplish. I had not opened a case with customer service, filed with the BBB or arbitration or even given GM written notice of the problem. While I realize that I could have followed all of the protocols and tried for a full buyback I was happy just to get out of my 3 year old SUV and into a brand new one with a very good deal.

Have to say I am extremely satisfied with the actions of the dealer and GM. I just hope they find the problem as part of the 'assistance' they received entails that they have to fix and resell the car on their lot (can't auction it).

Glad your problem was taking care of, GM replaced my second 2007 Escalade that exploded in my garage and then some in record time, can't say enough good things about the GM service I receive, it's better than many of my Euro cars for sure

LakeGuy
07-12-12, 10:27 PM
After speaking to one of the managers at the dealership I found out that Cadillac has a program that dealers can access when they have vehicles with persistent problems. I guess it is some sort of a customer retention program. If they can get the vehicle qualified then GM will provide the dealer with up to 10% of the original invoice cost of the vehicle as trade assistance to get the customer out of the vehicle and into a new one. The constraints are that the dealer has to repair the vehicle then only receives the assistance upon retail resale.

I had no idea such a program existed but I'm very glad it does. The program achieved it's objective, turning an upset customer into a satisfied one, and ended up allowing the dealership to keep a customer and move a new 2012 Escalade.

MrHolland
07-13-12, 12:31 AM
Thats awesome news. There may be some people that would argue this point, but GM is a great organization with a great product. One simply needs to find the proper dealership that fits them and responds to their problems. Enjoy your new car!!

lee88
07-13-12, 01:01 AM
Thats awesome news. There may be some people that would argue this point, but GM is a great organization with a great product. One simply needs to find the proper dealership that fits them and responds to their problems. Enjoy your new car!!

For once Mr holland and I agree!

MrHolland
07-13-12, 01:36 AM
Thank you sir!!

harristw
12-14-12, 06:03 PM
You didn't have a stealth grey esv did you? I bought one a couple months ago and have the same problem. Also, since this issue affects the drivetrain would it be covered in the powertrain warranty?

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-17-12, 10:09 AM
Harristw, I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing these concerns as well! I recommend having your dealer's specialized technicians view the concerns firsthand initially, so they can then determine coverage. And I'm happy to look into the matter for you, if you don't mind providing the last eight of your VIN. Please email me that information at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance!

Best,

Katie

CUTiger78
12-18-12, 11:52 AM
... GM replaced my second 2007 Escalade that exploded in my garage....
EXPLODED in your garage??? Haven't read about that one. Did a search and didn't find an old post about it. What's the story? Sounds like a good one!!

cropdude
12-26-12, 12:29 AM
Our Escalade started having these issues a few days ago, has anybody found a fix to this issue yet???0

stogeman
01-07-13, 10:31 PM
Quick get a tech and some holy oil synthetic

Wood 13
01-08-13, 08:07 PM
You didn't have a stealth grey esv did you? I bought one a couple months ago and have the same problem. Also, since this issue affects the drivetrain would it be covered in the powertrain warranty?

I'm curious to know as well the color and location of this trade-in. Especially, since I am going to pick-up a 09 platinum esv this weekend. LakeGuy - do you mind sharing this information whether on the site or via a PM to me please? Thanks.

texas1
01-08-13, 10:25 PM
i all so had this problem took it to the dealer nothing changed the battery nothing i kept looking in the interwebs and found a guy that had the same problem any way long story. Cut the + and negative terminals of the factory cabels and install new terminals and it will solve your problem :yup:you welcome

David2008ESV
05-05-13, 04:25 PM
We just bought a 2008 Escalade ESV on the 27th of April with just about 60,000 miles.

We've been driving it without issue, since we purchased the vehicle. Absolutely no signs of anything being suspect.

Last night, my wife, two year old son and I left the restaurant where we had dinner and the problems began.

I hit the remote to open the rear gate so I could place the to go box from the restaurant, closed it by hitting the button. All good so far. Then I unlocked the doors with my remote. I got in the Escalade, interior lights came on and then I placed the key in the ignition, turned it to the first position, all dash lights came on, turn to start and everything went BLACK - interior lights went OUT, no clicking from the ignition - nothing.

It was like it had a dead battery.

I tried to jump it, got the interior lights on - so I thought we were good to go, tried to start and the same thing - everything went BLACK - no lights whatsoever.

Now I can't even get it to do a darn thing. Finally had to have it towed home and now it sits in my driveway.

I've read a lot of posts here and other sites, it sure seems there are a lot of TSBs on this model year regarding electrical.

Did I just buy a lemon? That's sure how I feel right about now...we've only put maybe 500 miles on this thing so far and it is now just a cold piece of steel decoration in my driveway.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

David

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-05-13, 06:19 PM
We just bought a 2008 Escalade ESV on the 27th of April with just about 60,000 miles.

We've been driving it without issue, since we purchased the vehicle. Absolutely no signs of anything being suspect.

Last night, my wife, two year old son and I left the restaurant where we had dinner and the problems began.

I hit the remote to open the rear gate so I could place the to go box from the restaurant, closed it by hitting the button. All good so far. Then I unlocked the doors with my remote. I got in the Escalade, interior lights came on and then I placed the key in the ignition, turned it to the first position, all dash lights came on, turn to start and everything went BLACK - interior lights went OUT, no clicking from the ignition - nothing.

I tried to jump it, got the interior lights on - so I thought we were good to go, tried to start and the same thing - everything went BLACK - no lights whatsoever.

Now I can't even get it to do a darn thing. Finally had to have it towed home and now it sits in my driveway.

I've read a lot of posts here and other sites, it sure seems there are a lot of TSBs on this model year regarding electrical.

Did I just buy a lemon? That's sure how I feel right about now...we've only put maybe 500 miles on this thing so far and it is now just a cold piece of steel decoration in my driveway.

David

Hello David,

I am sorry your experiencing these issues. I understand how frustrating it can be when something goes wrong with your vehicle, especially after recently buying it. If you private message me your contact information, VIN and current mileage, I am more than happy to further discuss these concerns with you and explore our options.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Banshee8732
05-05-13, 11:07 PM

David

I heard that. The 3rd day I had mine it was dead in my driveway. RKE worked and the steps came down but when I tried to start it I got 1 click and that was all. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Do you still have the Delco battery? I've seen a fair share of posts here with members replacing the Delco battery and being good to go from there.

Cadsrfun
05-06-13, 12:41 AM
David, sounds like corroded battery connections to me. Remove and clean well. the problem may be evident as you clean. Also check the ground to the head and the positive at the starter if you don't find a problem at the battery connections. Good luck.

David2008ESV
05-06-13, 08:58 AM
Thanks.

I thought it was corrosion too...the battery (according to carfax) was replaced in 2013 with the original equipment battery (AC Delco) and it looks very clean. I did remove the connections from the posts and while I didn't see any corrosion, I did see a little discolor - so I cleaned both sides and posts very well, replaced and still nothing.

I haven't looked at the grounding as closely as I would like, but it did look like it was okay as well as the starter.

Oddly, yesterday I went out to the ESV to give it one last check and out of curiosity I used the keyless remote to unlock the doors - just to see if it would work and to my surprise it unlocked the doors, and the interior lights came on when I opened the door.

So I sat in the truck, closed the door and tried to start it. Turning the key to the first position and all the lights on the dash came on, turn to start and it all went dead again. nothing.

weird. and frustrating.

MrHolland
05-06-13, 09:05 AM
Although I've never had problems, lots of people have had problems with factory Delco batteries. It would seem those problems do not discriminate, regardless of the age of the battery.

David2008ESV
05-06-13, 09:20 AM
Yes, it was replaced (according to carfax) in 2011, but is the original equipment Delco battery.

I've read the same thing and logic tells me that it can't be the battery but logic and cars doesn't seem to go together much anymore these days.

Thanks

----------

So...if it is the battery, what should I get?

Another question, I notice there is a location for a second battery - do people use a second battery and if so, for what? and how do you divide it up?

Thank you

MrHolland
05-06-13, 09:47 AM
There is a write up in the Tech/FAQ Section sticky at the top of this section that details the second battery installation.

David2008ESV
05-06-13, 10:30 AM
Perfect. Thanks very much.

David2008ESV
05-06-13, 07:00 PM
Good news!!! The dealer I purchased the vehicle from, Sterling Auto Sales, Franktown, CO - was AMAZING throughout my entire ordeal. Even responding to text messages I sent the sales rep over the weekend. He was more than willing to offer suggestions and help, by Sunday when I thought I was at my wits end, he told me he would call the Cadillac dealership on Monday and between his ASE certified mechanics and the dealership they would fix whatever was wrong with my Escalade ESV.

This morning (monday) i decided to give it one last chance on the trickle charger...the time before I tried it and it showed it was fully charged. This morning I put it on and this time it definitely showed in the red. So I left it on for about four hours and it cranked right up. I called Sterling Auto Sales and told them about it and the first words out of my sales rep's mouth was, "great! I'll order you a new battery right now and text you when it is here. We will install a new one for you, you shouldn't have these problems and I'm very sorry you had to go through this experience."

Wow! Honestly I was not expecting this at all...I thought "real customer service" was dead, but they showed me that REAL CUSTOMER SERVICE is alive and well at Sterling Auto Sales!

Really, really impressed.

Shout out to Laura here on the forum as well who stepped up over the weekend and offered to help me as well!! So glad I found this forum...but I'm even happier that I bought my pre-owned Escalade from Sterling Auto Sales in Franktown, CO.

Thank you to everyone who has offered suggestions to me...I really appreciate everyone's willingness to help!

David

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-06-13, 07:52 PM
Good news!!! The dealer I purchased the vehicle from, Sterling Auto Sales, Franktown, CO - was AMAZING throughout my entire ordeal. Even responding to text messages I sent the sales rep over the weekend. He was more than willing to offer suggestions and help, by Sunday when I thought I was at my wits end, he told me he would call the Cadillac dealership on Monday and between his ASE certified mechanics and the dealership they would fix whatever was wrong with my Escalade ESV.

This morning (monday) i decided to give it one last chance on the trickle charger...the time before I tried it and it showed it was fully charged. This morning I put it on and this time it definitely showed in the red. So I left it on for about four hours and it cranked right up. I called Sterling Auto Sales and told them about it and the first words out of my sales rep's mouth was, "great! I'll order you a new battery right now and text you when it is here. We will install a new one for you, you shouldn't have these problems and I'm very sorry you had to go through this experience."

Wow! Honestly I was not expecting this at all...I thought "real customer service" was dead, but they showed me that REAL CUSTOMER SERVICE is alive and well at Sterling Auto Sales!

Really, really impressed.

Shout out to Laura here on the forum as well who stepped up over the weekend and offered to help me as well!! So glad I found this forum...but I'm even happier that I bought my pre-owned Escalade from Sterling Auto Sales in Franktown, CO.

Thank you to everyone who has offered suggestions to me...I really appreciate everyone's willingness to help!

David

Hello David,

Thank you for your feedback. We at Cadillac are always glad to hear when one of our customers has a positive experience. I am so happy your issue was taken care of and the dealership had such great customer service, replacing your battery for free. Glad to hear you are satisfied with your vehicle again. We are here to provide assistance for you. So remember, if any additional questions or concerns arise please let us know!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

texas1
05-06-13, 09:50 PM
interested in finding out if the new battery fixed your problem i changed mine out and it only fixed the problem for a little bit but then came back till i found out about the cable ends been bad they replace them the problem never came back i took it to bankston chevy in north richland hills they could not replicate the problem o so they said so they could not figure it out i bought a test meter and tested the cables and sure enough current was not the same on the terminal of the battery and cable deff should look in to this the terminal are 9 bucks at auto zone i think its worth the try i hated been stranded when it would not start

David2008ESV
05-07-13, 08:46 AM
interested in finding out if the new battery fixed your problem i changed mine out and it only fixed the problem for a little bit but then came back till i found out about the cable ends been bad they replace them the problem never came back i took it to bankston chevy in north richland hills they could not replicate the problem o so they said so they could not figure it out i bought a test meter and tested the cables and sure enough current was not the same on the terminal of the battery and cable deff should look in to this the terminal are 9 bucks at auto zone i think its worth the try i hated been stranded when it would not start

I will definitely let you know. My dealer said the same thing, he wouldn't be happy until I was driving it for a couple of weeks. The owner's wife was driving this for about a month or so with no issues whatsoever, so maybe it was just the battery. Nonetheless, I will make sure to let you know in a couple of weeks how it is going.

Thanks for the info on the cable ends - I may just buy some and have the tools in the glove box just in case.

blackex
05-07-13, 08:50 AM
You would be surprised what a defective or older battery can do to an electrical system of a car. It can create all kinds of havoc and malfunctioning equipment just from a dead cell or when the battery is near the end of it's life cycle. Hopefully the new battery will cure your problems. The stock stereo in my other Cadillac would randomly have no audio output but would be on and fully functional. After spending days trying to determine the problem and almost replacing the entire unit I did some tests on the batter and replaced it. After that there was no issues a all.

Pillow
05-09-13, 10:59 PM
We had a similar issue with the ESV cutting out and going completely dead... DEAD. At about 48,000 miles.

The local Chevy dealer we first brought it into was worthless and we just wasted time with those jerks. FWIW NEVER go to Country Chevrolet in Warrenton - amateur night all around.

So we ended up stranded in our driveway on a Saturday evening... Called 1-800-Cadillac service. A representative from Moore Cadillac came right out to the house and diagnosed the real problem within 5 minutes. A corroded negative battery cable! Too much resistance was throwing the sensitive electronics off. He did not have a replacement cable on the truck, so I made my own cable from some car audio OFC and have been fine ever since... About two months ago now. That being said I plan on taking the ESV in for proper repairs in two weeks. To Moore of course.

Also do not trust Wal-Mart MAXX batteries. The replacement in our old '05 ESV literally blew up! Just stick with Delco IMO.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-10-13, 07:02 PM
We had a similar issue with the ESV cutting out and going completely dead... DEAD. At about 48,000 miles.

The local Chevy dealer we first brought it into was worthless and we just wasted time with those jerks. FWIW NEVER go to Country Chevrolet in Warrenton - amateur night all around.

So we ended up stranded in our driveway on a Saturday evening... Called 1-800-Cadillac service. A representative from Moore Cadillac came right out to the house and diagnosed the real problem within 5 minutes. A corroded negative battery cable! Too much resistance was throwing the sensitive electronics off. He did not have a replacement cable on the truck, so I made my own cable from some car audio OFC and have been fine ever since... About two months ago now. That being said I plan on taking the ESV in for proper repairs in two weeks. To Moore of course.

Also do not trust Wal-Mart MAXX batteries. The replacement in our old '05 ESV literally blew up! Just stick with Delco IMO.

Hi Pillow,

Thanks for sharing your information on this forum. I am sorry you had a bad experience at your local Chevrolet dealership. However, am happy to hear the Cadillac service phone number was helpful and was able to send a representative from a certified different dealership. Glad to know your vehicle has been running good for a couple months now. Please reach out to us if you have other concerns or issues you would like assistance with!

Regards,

Laura M.