: Does the leather LeBra for the CTS fit the V? (want a temp solution for long trip)

sybersport
05-26-12, 05:34 PM
I'm going to be taking my V on a long road trip, and want to minimize damage to the front clip. I'm only going to use it for this trip (and perhaps other road trips in the future), and I don't want to install a clear bra.

Will the leather LeBra made for the CTS fit? I found a listing on Ebay that says it will fit the V...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LeBra-Front-End-Cover-STOCK-2008-2012-CADILLAC-CTS-Mask-Bra-551205-01-/230680930155?fits=Model:CTS|Submodel:V&hash=item35b5a7a76b&item=230680930155&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Thanks

thebigjimsho
05-27-12, 12:00 PM
I would just do a 3M clear bra and be permanently free of worry...

VMoose
05-29-12, 04:07 PM
What's the average cost of a 3M clear bra?

thebigjimsho
05-29-12, 11:42 PM
To do the front end and side mirrors should run from $5-600...

M5eater
06-01-12, 09:46 PM
you want a temporary bra?

http://www.duplicolor.com/duplicolor-weblogic/products/shield/

and no, the leather bra will not fit.

me personally, I didn't want a clear-bra because I didn't like the way it looked. I suggest you find a car with one and decide for yourself.

a $500-600 install is going to be a precut kit and it's going to be by a average/sub average installer that's probably going to screw up in 1-2 spots. If you're OK with that and prefer overall protection for show-room looks all the time, the clear bra is the way to go.

Thunder Gray STS
06-03-12, 11:24 PM
I am currently on a long trip 4500 miles. I ordered 2 cans of clear plasti dip and coated the nose of the car. Took bout an hour. I didn't try to do the neatest job because I knew I was just going to peel it off when I got back. Working like a charm so far. Cost 14 bucks.

thebigjimsho
06-04-12, 12:16 AM
I am currently on a long trip 4500 miles. I ordered 2 cans of clear plasti dip and coated the nose of the car. Took bout an hour. I didn't try to do the neatest job because I knew I was just going to peel it off when I got back. Working like a charm so far. Cost 14 bucks.Could you get some pics? Or is it imperceptible??

Thunder Gray STS
06-04-12, 12:48 AM
Could you get some pics? Or is it imperceptible??

I don't think the camera could capture it. It slightly dulls the covered area. I will try to get a picture in the morning. The front of the car is covered in bugs. Something funny about that is a couple of birds were hanging on to the mesh of the grill and picking bugs off for breakfast this morning, never seen that before.

Thunder Gray STS
06-04-12, 12:34 PM
I don't think the camera could capture it. It slightly dulls the covered area. I will try to get a picture in the morning. The front of the car is covered in bugs. Something funny about that is a couple of birds were hanging on to the mesh of the grill and picking bugs off for breakfast this morning, never seen that before.

Here is a picture of an area where it pulled off when removing the tape. It's the only place on the car where the camera can see the difference.

M5eater
06-04-12, 05:09 PM
Nice. that stuff almost looks like clear bra. My only concern with these spray-on bra's is that you need to tape everything off evertime you want to use it. Good for long-distance trips once or twice a year, but I could see it becomming a chore for anything more often than that.

sound about right?

neuronbob
06-04-12, 05:39 PM
If you care about your paint under the leather bra, especially if the bra gets wet, you will not use a leather bra. If your car is leased and you don't care what the paint looks like at turn-in time, the by all means use one.

Otherwise, just use a clear bra or the plastidip alternative noted above. I use a clear bra and it looks great while offering great protection. Worth every penny IMHO.

thebigjimsho
06-04-12, 06:08 PM
Good points, all.

Thunder Gray STS
06-04-12, 06:46 PM
Nice. that stuff almost looks like clear bra. My only concern with these spray-on bra's is that you need to tape everything off evertime you want to use it. Good for long-distance trips once or twice a year, but I could see it becomming a chore for anything more often than that.

sound about right?

Sounds about right. It only took about an hour to tape everything off and shoot it. Definitely not anything permanent. Like I said before I didn't even attempt to be real neat, since I will peel it off as soon as a get back home... Got 2000 miles to go.

M5eater
06-04-12, 07:35 PM
Sounds about right. It only took about an hour to tape everything off and shoot it. Definitely not anything permanent. Like I said before I didn't even attempt to be real neat, since I will peel it off as soon as a get back home... Got 2000 miles to go.

I think I may try some for track days. Looks better than blue painters tape!

Thunder Gray STS
06-04-12, 08:14 PM
I think I may try some for track days. Looks better than blue painters tape!

Just make sure you get a heavy coat. Doesn't have to be even, just heavy. Otherwise you will need some sort of solvent to remove. Plasti Dip isn't very robust against solvents.

Torxila
06-07-12, 06:16 PM
"Road-Wrap" at California Car Cover Co. Not sure If I'm allowed to post link?

Cheep and seems like a good idea. I just ordered both 6" and 18" rolls. Going to use it on my next trip.

George

sybersport
06-12-12, 03:17 AM
I ended up PlastiDipping the front end, in Clear. It worked out quite well.

I do have a problem now... I didn't lay it on thick enough in some areas, so it won't easily peel off..

Is there any product I can use to dissolve it, that won't mess up my paint?

Thunder Gray STS
06-12-12, 08:59 AM
I ended up PlastiDipping the front end, in Clear. It worked out quite well.

I do have a problem now... I didn't lay it on thick enough in some areas, so it won't easily peel off..

Is there any product I can use to dissolve it, that won't mess up my paint?

Yep, plain old rubbing alcohol and a micro fiber cloth. Don't have to rub hard, but it takes about a minute to dissolve it. A little wax chaser over the area and done.