: KW variant 3

isakhanyan
05-26-12, 05:14 PM
Hey everyone,

I need to get new shocks, mine are going bad. I have ground control coilover kit now but I have decided to just get the KW variant 3. How hard is the installation process? Where can I get them the cheapest?

jclayc
05-27-12, 01:33 PM
Hey - I just finished installing the KWv3 on my 05 V... I bought mine for $2033 shipped from tunedcustoms & they arrived in 3 days - http://myworld.ebay.com/tunedcustoms/&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2754

The instructions for the ground control kit pretty well sum up what's involved: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/gcinstall/index.html. I'm no pro, so it took me around 5-6 hours for the front and 2 hours for the rear. That's mostly to BS like a stripped wheel stud and strut tower bar bolt...

The only thing that I'd change from those instructions is that you don't have to drop the rear cradle to remove the rear springs. Once you've gotten the rear shock bolt off and . the 21mm bolt holding the control arm, the spring perch will drop but not quite enough. Remove your rear end links and loosen the sway bar - that'll let you swivel it out of the way and you can then pull the springs out. Also, with the KW3 kit on the rear, you'll need to pry out the upper and lower rubber spring mounts.

Last thing I'll say is, for me, I set the front springs waaaay too low out of the box. It made front spring install easier but I ended up having to go in and re-adjust upward.

kciaccio
05-27-12, 02:48 PM
Awesome. let us know how it drives after. Thanks!

AAIIIC
05-28-12, 12:51 PM
I had put a nice, detailed "how to" in this thread - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/176595-got-k-dubs-installed-today.html - but that thread appears to be gone for some reason. (I found the link to it in another thread about KWs.) I just sent a note the site administrator to see if there's anyway that thread can be recovered; it had plenty of good info about the install and feedback on performance and ride quality from a few different KW users.

Long story short, installing the KWs is no different than installing any other struts/shocks. They include pretty detailed instructions, including very specific measurements on where to set the spring perches so that your ride height is good from the start. (jclayc, did you not get those instructions, or did you just not see/use the part about setting the spring perch heights?)

Presence Distribution
05-28-12, 01:04 PM
We can get you a set of KW coilovers, send an email/PM.

jclayc
05-28-12, 05:47 PM
hmmm, there were instructions with my kit but they were either how to set the dampning/rebound or what parts to keep off the existing shocks. (Only like 2 pages of actual instructions instead of warnings in German.) I'm at a good height now, I believe.

It's tough for me to make a clean judgment on the KW3s because I also installed Hotchkis sways and new endlinks but, compared to the FG2s (which were a BIG improvement) there's much less body roll & the ride quality is still good. I need to adjust my rebound settings a bit softer because of some chattering over bad road but that's just part of getting them broken in.

My only issues, one related one probably not related: I've checked all my bolts but it sounds like something's looser than it was when I go over big bumps. My next issue is that I got the car from the hand wash this AM and my stability system message came on w/ tc and abs now lighting up on the dash. ugh

AAIIIC
06-02-12, 10:11 PM
I had put a nice, detailed "how to" in this thread - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/176595-got-k-dubs-installed-today.html - but that thread appears to be gone for some reason.
Thread restored (thanks to JimmyH).

hmmm, there were instructions with my kit but they were either how to set the dampning/rebound or what parts to keep off the existing shocks. (Only like 2 pages of actual instructions instead of warnings in German.) I'm at a good height now, I believe.
I suppose it's a moot point if you've gotten the suspension set up already, but there should have been 2 sets of instructions - 1 detailing how to put them on the car, and 1 detailing ride heights and damping adjustments. Their website (http://www.kw-store.com/products/kw-coilover-kit-v3-7502.html) has them both listed - here's the right height / damping instructions (http://www.kw-store.com/extras/docs/BBXQ/35263001-eah68663001.pdf).

ahahnu
06-03-12, 09:25 PM
I love my KWs, I'd buy them again.

2006CTSV
06-04-12, 08:39 PM
Hey everyone,

I need to get new shocks, mine are going bad. I have ground control coilover kit now but I have decided to just get the KW variant 3. How hard is the installation process? Where can I get them the cheapest?

Are you willing to sell your Ground Control Kit? What shocks where they for? I am currently looking for a GC kit - figured might can help you on the cost for the KW V3s

shadybx7
06-07-12, 12:18 AM
Let us know if you find it cheaper then $2Gs..

good thread here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/176595-got-k-dubs-installed-today.html

Are you willing to sell your Ground Control Kit? What shocks where they for? I am currently looking for a GC kit - figured might can help you on the cost for the KW V3s
stock shocks

PISNUOFF
06-08-12, 08:42 AM

The question should be, what spring rates. 600F/650R is perfect. I went with 500/550 with my stock shock and they were too soft.

isakhanyan
06-08-12, 04:30 PM

I'm replacing them bc I need new shocks, I can sell you the ground control kit once I get a set of the kw's

2006CTSV
06-08-12, 07:24 PM
The question should be, what spring rates. 600F/650R is perfect. I went with 500/550 with my stock shock and they were too soft.

yea - true that. how can i contact you about a short throw? looking to get one soon...

I'm replacing them bc I need new shocks, I can sell you the ground control kit once I get a set of the kw's

- interested - what is the spring rate? and what shocks were they for (need them for fg2's)

thanks

isakhanyan
06-08-12, 10:54 PM
yea - true that. how can i contact you about a short throw? looking to get one soon...

- interested - what is the spring rate? and what shocks were they for (need them for fg2's)

thanks

I have the fg2's but I don't remember what the spring rate is. How do I check that?

isakhanyan
06-08-12, 11:07 PM
Another question for you guys, I have the hotchkis sway bar and the z06 end links, will I have a problem?

AAIIIC
06-10-12, 11:49 PM
There should be numbers on the Eibach springs that come with the GC coil-overs. I don't remember which order they go in, but there should be a 250 (to indicate it's a 2.5" spring), then a rate and a length. So an 8" long 600# spring would be 250.600.800 or 600.250.800 or something like that.

Hotchkis bars and Z06 endlinks will work just fine with the KWs.

isakhanyan
06-12-12, 02:58 PM
There should be numbers on the Eibach springs that come with the GC coil-overs. I don't remember which order they go in, but there should be a 250 (to indicate it's a 2.5" spring), then a rate and a length. So an 8" long 600# spring would be 250.600.800 or 600.250.800 or something like that.

Thanks

2006CTSV
06-12-12, 05:21 PM

Thanks

-- Let me know the rate and we can talk about the price and when you may have the v3's so you can sell the GC kit.

JDB
06-12-12, 05:34 PM
I have the fg2's but I don't remember what the spring rate is. How do I check that?

It's stamped on the spring. ...along with size.

garrettg
06-13-12, 02:17 PM
I installed the kw v3 setup about a month ago and decided to order a set of 628 pound/inch rear springs 250mm length 60mm ID to replace the stock 514 pound/inch. I was seeing a lot of sagging in the back as I have a hitch and tow sportbikes from time to time so though I would bump up the 110 N/mm.

AAIIIC - great thread for both install and info on spring choices

thmotorsports has a good deal on these slightly better than allsprings