: Fascinating article about a man's massive car collection

Faded Crest
05-25-12, 11:57 PM
Eccentric is an understatement for this guy...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/midnight-in-the-garden-of-eldorados-and-e-types

vincentm
05-26-12, 12:03 AM
404 page not found

Faded Crest
05-26-12, 12:10 AM
That's strange... The link works for me.

----------

Here is a Flikr page with some pictures of his "car garden"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/devonblunden/sets/72157621908366545/

The-Dullahan
05-26-12, 12:24 AM
I've seen this before. Through this website actually. I would hardly declare the man to be eccentric though. Awesome...definitely. I would take a bullet for that man.

Faded Crest
05-26-12, 01:12 AM
What is your definition of eccentric? If that isn't eccentric, nothing is.

eccentric definition:

Departing from a recognized, conventional, or established norm or pattern.

deviating from the recognized or customary character, practice, etc.; irregular; erratic; peculiar; odd: eccentric conduct; an eccentric person.

77CDV
05-26-12, 01:20 AM
Eccentric can still be awesome.

Faded Crest
05-26-12, 01:28 AM
Indeed, eccentric is not a negative thing at all... In fact it is a sign of genius.

talismandave
05-26-12, 01:31 AM
...I would hardly declare the man to be eccentric though. Awesome...definitely. I would take a bullet for that man.
Then how come his picture is in Websters by the definition?!!:duck:
That said, I also "get it" and find beauty and peace in it.
I also would take that bullet!
Really cool, thanks Faded Crest!
(link worked for me too)

Faded Crest
05-26-12, 01:40 AM
For the first page or two I could really identify with the guy... Hoarding all kinds of cars, snatching them up on the cheap... But when I read he was just doing it as an art form, we parted ways. I couldn't stand to think that those cool cars have no chance of ever being driven again. :(

The-Dullahan
05-26-12, 05:58 AM
Eccentric can still be awesome.

I am living proof of that.

----------

Then how come his picture is in Websters by the definition?!!:duck:

Because I rarely pose for photographs.

basscatt
05-27-12, 02:40 PM
I'll freely admit that I don't know much about art -

it's the kind of thing that I'll know when I see it -

AND THIS AIN'T IT!

Faded Crest
05-28-12, 01:48 AM
History? Yes... Art? No.

Kev
05-28-12, 09:11 AM
There seems to be some cosmic, magnetic vortex which attracts an eclectic mix of odd, eccentric and 'just plain weird' souls to Santa Barbara .......

vincentm
05-28-12, 10:58 AM
There seems to be some cosmic, magnetic vortex which attracts an eclectic mix of odd, eccentric and 'just plain weird' souls to Santa Barbara .......

I lived there and still alot of family there. It can be a weirdo place

brandondeleo
05-28-12, 11:22 AM
You're totally right there...

orconn
05-28-12, 12:09 PM
Santa Barbara seems like such an idyllic place on the surface, I always sensed there was something else going on there, but I could never overcome my boredom to dig deeper.

brandondeleo
05-28-12, 12:10 PM
Santa Barbara seems like such an idyllic place on the surface, I always sense there was something else going on there, but I could never overcome my boredom to dig deeper.
I think it probably has roots in some deep-seated and suppressed traumatic experiences with fires, flash floods, and land slides. God knows there are enough of them in the Santa Barbara mountains every year.

orconn
05-28-12, 12:20 PM
No, I think it has more to do with second generation money that lacked the spark and creativity of the first generation who made the money.

Montecito has re-arisen from the crumble left by the children and relatives of the 1920's and '30's fortunes that built it in the first place. Nice place now to go to parties thrown by people who make their money somewhere else!

Kev
05-28-12, 12:33 PM
Leave us not forget the occasional earthquake. But these, I believe, are off the mark.

Because it is such a beautiful and desirable place to live, it's allure draws many with the longing to live there. This popularity drives up the cost of real estate and living, thus, people of greater financial means (old and new money) are more likely to be successful securing homes here. Said people of extended means tend (by my observations) to exhibit, shall we say, odd behavior? (Case in point, Ty Warner)

brandondeleo
05-28-12, 02:14 PM
I was just being a smartass. :lol: I'm totally desensitized to earthquakes. So are most people in SoCal. I think they're kind of fun, actually. :histeric:

----------

Right before I moved up here to Washington I was woken up by the 2008 Chino Hills quake. Being woken up to an earthquake is kind of unnerving, but once you're up it's kind of exhilarating. :lol:

vincentm
05-28-12, 02:41 PM
Santa Barbara seems like such an idyllic place on the surface, I always sensed there was something else going on there, but I could never overcome my boredom to dig deeper.

Its the tap water...

orconn
05-28-12, 04:00 PM
I was just being a smartass. :lol: I'm totally desensitized to earthquakes. So are most people in SoCal. I think they're kind of fun, actually. :histeric:

----------

Right before I moved up here to Washington I was woken up by the 2008 Chino Hills quake. Being woken up to an earthquake is kind of unnerving, but once you're up it's kind of exhilarating. :lol:

Yeah, earthquakes are "kinda" fun unless you are sitting on or near the epicenter ..... or its' your $2,000,000 house that is going to need a lot of repair!

For those who don't know "earthquake insurance" (despite its' outlandish cost) only begins to pay for repairs after the first $50,000 has been paid by the homeowner. Most earthquake damage never reaches the $50,000 deductible amount!

Kev
05-28-12, 05:36 PM
Its the tap water...Oh, the tap water! I grew up on that water (explains a lot, doesn't it?!! ). When my wife came down from Oregon, she first stayed with a friend we all called Grandma. She got a glass of water from the kitchen sink and said; "Grandma, there's something wrong with your water!" (she was used to the clear mountain waters from Eugene) Grandma said; "Oh no honey, that's just the way our water is here, it's Ok."

Well, being so used to the taste of hard water, I never cared for soft, bottled or mountain spring. But after years of having soft/filtered water, I've been converted.

CadillacLuke24
05-28-12, 06:49 PM
Hahahah filtered water is way nice. Especially out here.

That guy's collection is cool, but I agree with Faded that it's sad that they will never see asphalt or concrete again. Anyone up for pitchin in on a used Kenworth and car carrier trailer? We could go for a road trip :sneaky: Oh btw, that's not art.