: Thinking of doing a vinyl wrap

silverstreaker
05-25-12, 11:02 PM
So I bought a silver 2009 V and I love it but I always wanted a matte black wrap. Where can I get one done in the north east along with a chrome delete and is there any issue with doing a matte black wrap on Silver other than the door jams?

silverstreaker
05-26-12, 01:38 AM
anyone with any experience with wraps that can help?
am I calling it the wrong thing?
help?

thebigjimsho
05-26-12, 12:25 PM
Where in the northeast? A friend of mine is doing wraps in MA...

Wannago
05-26-12, 12:39 PM
Not that this will help you find a nearby installer, a local dude recently had his C63 wrapped and did a time lapse of the process. The car turned out awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdZ3b7bQ5SU&list=PLE0D9FB1CFB72481F&index=2&feature=plcp

sarasota_krash
05-26-12, 09:30 PM
I just did my V in matte finish... Get compliments on it everyday. I'm a 3M installer but I'm all the way down in Florida. There are no issues putting the wrap on but there are differences between products just like anything else. Make sure you the a product is like 3M or similar quality. Expect to spend $2500-3000, otherwise question the shop or the product, it will make a huge difference when it comes to removal. PM me if you have any specific questions.

This product on my car is 3M 1080.

Mike

silverstreaker
05-27-12, 05:34 AM
Where in the northeast? A friend of mine is doing wraps in MA...

I'm in the Brattleboro VT, Keene NH area. I'm looking to do the following mods all in conjunction with each other so if I can get one shop to do it all, raise your hand and the work is yours - CF10 Forgestar wheels, d3 comp springs (squeak free install please), Black vinyl wrap, de-badge, Chrome delete (plasti dip preferred. The idea is to make the black out reversible (Car is silver).

----------

and, just for reference, if I just want to paint the entire car matte black, to include all trim, what would the price be for that? Keep in mind that this is a complete color change but I think the paint job would be cheaper not having to mask the chrome. any pics of a v in all matte would be great.

Captain McFunk
05-27-12, 01:33 PM
I just did my V in matte finish... Get compliments on it everyday. I'm a 3M installer but I'm all the way down in Florida. There are no issues putting the wrap on but there are differences between products just like anything else. Make sure you the a product is like 3M or similar quality. Expect to spend $2500-3000, otherwise question the shop or the product, it will make a huge difference when it comes to removal. PM me if you have any specific questions.

This product on my car is 3M 1080.

Mike

Any tips on wrapping the front bumper? Is it 1 piece?

sarasota_krash
05-28-12, 06:26 PM
I did my front in 1 piece and there really is no great tips. It suck, LOL... Minimum 3 hours and a lot of luck. I'm going to actually redo some small areas so it will not end up being am1 piece for very long. It's definitely one of the harder front bumpers I've ever done.

Captain McFunk
05-29-12, 02:00 PM
I did my front in 1 piece and there really is no great tips. It suck, LOL... Minimum 3 hours and a lot of luck. I'm going to actually redo some small areas so it will not end up being am1 piece for very long. It's definitely one of the harder front bumpers I've ever done.

Lol, I had a feeling, how about the roof, did you take off the shark fin antenna? Is there an easy way to get it off to be able to better wrap the roof? I left it on, and it didn't work out so well....so I need to re-wrap my roof.

Thanks!

sarasota_krash
05-30-12, 01:31 PM
The roof is not all the hard but you really should have a set of second hands to get a nice stretch going. First do a dry run and cut a very small relief hole for the GPS antenna. Then be sure not to stretch that hold too large. I did my roof without taking the antenna off but now looking on the inside, I would assume that you would only have to remove the rear seats reading lights to have access at the GPS antenna and removing it might not be all that hard. In that case, I would recommend get it off before installing. I have not tested what that antenna will act like once wrapped. I would assume that it would work just as well as do the rear park sensors with the wrap over it, but for now, my antenna is still not wrapped. When I remove it, I will post some pictures. Might be this weekend.

BTW... as I continue to read posts, I'm noticing a huge difference in price. Some pay $3K for roof, hood and trunk while others pay that for the entire car. Be sure to price compare... there are several guys out there that do a great job and do not cost as much as I'm reading here. Best of luck!!!

Satin69
05-31-12, 05:48 PM
I just got quoted $4900 for my car in matte 3M!?!?!

sarasota_krash
06-01-12, 12:57 PM
I just got quoted $4900 for my car in matte 3M!?!?!

I think that's high... the front bumper is a pain in the a$$ but other than that... it only took me 2 days by myself... two guys should be able to get it done in a day... max two. it does vary a little because it depends on the kind of job you're looking for, similar to painting a car... if you want the lights, antenna's, etc to come off as opposed to just cut around them, it takes more time. It took me two days and I took all the rear stuff off, (third light, taillights, etc.). the only thing which I did not remove and I would next time around is the front bumper. I would remove the grills, headlights and fogs, which allows for a very clean install. in fact, I still might do that and redo the front as I am not completely happy with it. I think that's high considering that they will have $1000 in materials... so essentially they are asking for $2000/day to work on your car... a little high, I would charge $3500 and remove all the parts I mentioned.

ChromeCad
06-01-12, 03:59 PM
Contact 360 wraps
They have certified installers nationwide

360wraps.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6gNLIq0TBY

Satin69
06-04-12, 09:26 PM
I thought the same thing. This guy does a lot of the high end exotics around Dallas so that maybe why he thinks he can charge so much. I know for a fact that he doesn't disassemble anything.

I think that's high... the front bumper is a pain in the a$$ but other than that... it only took me 2 days by myself... two guys should be able to get it done in a day... max two. it does vary a little because it depends on the kind of job you're looking for, similar to painting a car... if you want the lights, antenna's, etc to come off as opposed to just cut around them, it takes more time. It took me two days and I took all the rear stuff off, (third light, taillights, etc.). the only thing which I did not remove and I would next time around is the front bumper. I would remove the grills, headlights and fogs, which allows for a very clean install. in fact, I still might do that and redo the front as I am not completely happy with it. I think that's high considering that they will have $1000 in materials... so essentially they are asking for $2000/day to work on your car... a little high, I would charge $3500 and remove all the parts I mentioned.

Satin69
06-07-12, 06:54 PM
Update- Found a guy that does the 3M wraps for the local Ferrari shop. $2300 out the door for my coupe! Going in next week.

thebigjimsho
06-09-12, 02:18 AM
Where? Just to know for future reference...

Satin69
06-10-12, 12:29 AM
Trafic Graphix in Plano, TX. They have done a couple of business marketing wraps for me in the past. Awesome jobs and they stand behind their work. Omar is the guy I worked with in the past.