: NASA Arizona June 2nd and 3rd...anyone going? My first, what should I expect.

AmigoBB
05-25-12, 03:16 PM
Signed up for my first day of high performance track time with the V. I am doing the June 2nd class at Firebird International in Tempe AZ.

I've got the car in good shape, all maintenance is up to date except maybe the brakes which I just ordered replacement pads from racing brake.

What should I bring? What should I expect? Aside from having a blast which I fully expect. This is my checklist so far.

Helmet
Long sleeve shirt and pants
Thin soled shoes
Water, lots.
Blue painters tape for the headlights?
CG lock
Full tank of gas :rolleyes:
Take out all unnecessary clutter from interior.

Any tips from the more experienced racers and auto-xers?

alradco
05-25-12, 05:54 PM
List looks good to me. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Nate37AZ
05-26-12, 05:23 AM
Nice! I'll be there too, but driving my Miata. :p Should be fun, but these early morning events take some getting used to. Couple things: you don't have to bring water, since the club provides free bottled water, and they usually have tons. Definitely won't hurt though. Also, the long pants rule is waived in HPDE for summer events. Everything else looks good though!

Stop by and say hey if you get a chance, or if you want to ride along. I'll be in the silver Miata, #337 in HPDE4. I'll keep an eye out for you too...

Gilbert CTS-V
05-27-12, 08:38 PM
New to the forum. I live in Gilbert and would love to be at firebird for this but will be out of town. I'm just curious if there are any CTS-V clubs in the phoenix area. Or maybe just a group of CTS-V guys that like to hang out once in a while. Can someone let me know.....

Nate37AZ
05-29-12, 04:24 AM
Don't know of any clubs, but I'm always down to hang out. There is always the weekly show at the Pavilions, that's a good place to meet up.

PISNUOFF
05-29-12, 01:01 PM
Fresh clean brake, clutch, oil and power steering fluid. And bring extra to the track just in case. Be prepared to be very tired, both physically and mentally.

thefulmonty_07
05-29-12, 04:13 PM
New to the forum. I live in Gilbert and would love to be at firebird for this but will be out of town. I'm just curious if there are any CTS-V clubs in the phoenix area. Or maybe just a group of CTS-V guys that like to hang out once in a while. Can someone let me know.....

I'll be out of town as well =(

AmigoBB
05-29-12, 07:40 PM
Fresh clean brake, clutch, oil and power steering fluid. And bring extra to the track just in case. Be prepared to be very tired, both physically and mentally.

I just had the LS7 clutch swap done about 1500 miles ago, should I change clutch fluid now or after the track day?

PISNUOFF
05-30-12, 07:11 AM
I replace the clutch, brake, power steering, diff and oil before. And oil, clutch and brake after. Especially with standard fluids. Since I switched to Castrol RBF for the clutch and brakes I don't flush them afterwards.

If you aren't that hard on your car you will be ok with the clutch fluid being done 1500 miles ago, with my driving habits 1500 miles on the street would have required a flush before the RBF.

Also, the power steering fluid will level itself out to about the level of the seam on the reservoir. Don't be alarmed if it leaks out from under the cap, it'll stop at some point.

Gilbert CTS-V
06-03-12, 11:58 PM
Just got back into town....and i'm curious to hear how the track day went down. Also just wanted to say thanks to Nate for getting back about meeting up. I have been to the pavilions a few times and would love to meet up with some of the other V owners. Nate if you, amigo, and the fulmonty are willing to set up a meet let me know. Thanks again

AmigoBB
06-05-12, 06:15 PM
The track day was awesome! Not what I was expecting at all. For those unfamiliar, I took HPDE1 which is pretty much drivers-ed but at twice the speed. There is no passing allowed, except for on the main straight, until you get to more advanced stages like 2, 3 or 4. Tech was super easy to pass, class sessions were quick and informative and the instructor I had was hilarious, apart from the times he was yelling at me for not hitting apex's and coming in too hot on a few corners (I had two run-offs). The V is an absolute rocket, my instructor made me keep it in third around the whole track saying that if I did not, I would be up everyone ass and he didn't want to get yelled at himself. I think I had the car at wide open throttle maybe 5% of the time, yes five-percent, the car is a beast!!

One thing though, I don't think my brakes were up to snuff. I have two piece RacingBrake rotors all around, stainless lines and was running their RB550 pads. I replaced pads without machining the rotors (as advised by RB) the day before and did a thorough bedding. On the track they would bite then just faaaaaaadddeeeee, a bit scary. If I had to guess I might say the brake balance was out of whack as I was getting a bit of tail lift while braking in a straight line. Does anyone have any advice on this?

It is nice that there are no more HPDE's in AZ for the next few months, it was soooo hot by 11 that I felt bad for the cars, even worse for the guys out there flagging. I will do the next event which is a night time event in August so for the AZ guys, let's all sign up.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1421

http://youtu.be/n7e18cB8few

AmigoBB
06-05-12, 06:37 PM
One more thing, I am 99% positive that my car was the heaviest and on the least sticky rubber compound. I was running Nexen N7000's and they were howling the entire way around the track. Still, for not being a grippy tire, my instructor said they were good tires to learn on because they gave good feedback and had consistent albeit crappy grip. I think I paid about $125/tire with shipping about a year ago. They are pretty much toast now. Here is my g-meter from the track day.

Nate37AZ
06-07-12, 03:36 AM
Nice to meet you this weekend. I'm glad you had fun, and welcome to the addiction/money pit! :highfive: Who was your instructor?

As far as the brakes, Firebird East is notoriously tough on brakes, since there are a lot of short straights followed by heavy braking zones. I even had some brake issues on race pads, stainless lines, and RBF600. Which fluid are you running?

Anyway, hopefully you get your brakes dialed in before West in August, it should be a good one. I'll definitely see you out there; did you get moved up to Group 2?[COLOR="Silver"]

PISNUOFF
06-07-12, 09:15 AM
If I were tracking in Arizona I'd step up to Castrol SRF. I use it for my clutch and it lasts about 5 times as long as the Motul RBF600. Maybe look into track pads and rotors. I run Carbotech pads (XP-16 front and XP-12 rear, I recommend XP-12 front and rear) and dedicated rotors for them. I've never had any fade with them. 150 to 50 at threshold braking every lap with R-Comps and still no fade.

repenttokyo
06-07-12, 11:58 AM
going to the track with brand new pads, that's why you had fade. even after bedding, you want some non at-speed miles on your pads before subjecting them to what the track can dish out, in my opinion.

AmigoBB
06-08-12, 04:23 PM
Nice to meet you this weekend. I'm glad you had fun, and welcome to the addiction/money pit! :highfive: Who was your instructor?

As far as the brakes, Firebird East is notoriously tough on brakes, since there are a lot of short straights followed by heavy braking zones. I even had some brake issues on race pads, stainless lines, and RBF600. Which fluid are you running?

Anyway, hopefully you get your brakes dialed in before West in August, it should be a good one. I'll definitely see you out there; did you get moved up to Group 2?[COLOR="Silver"]

I wish I got moved to group 2. I think the two run offs were my downfall. I also really need to work on smooth inputs on the gas. Most of you are probably just like me in that you are addicted to mashing the pedal down because it puts a smile on your face each and every time. I learned quickly that this is not terribly efficient, especially in a monster like the V.

My instructor was Dan errr...I forget the last name. He used to test for Nissan and Ferrari, he was there in his GT-R that was a gift from Nissan I understand. We should get together at least at the Pavillions for sure...and soon, I am back in the country June 21.

Nate37AZ
06-09-12, 04:40 AM
Yep, I'm down anytime. Let us know when you get back, and we'll all get together.

Gilbert CTS-V
06-10-12, 07:16 PM
That looked like lots of fun....how about meeting on the 23rd or the 30th. I'm good for either day. Would be nice to meet everyone and have a good V showing. Let me know

JDB
06-11-12, 11:14 AM
What pad is RB550?

Their track pads are XT series. 910 is the lowest end and not worth spending the money for these because they may only be good for a new DE driver while in a lighter car, not reaching high mph to the heavy braking zone, smaller track, etc. If you're buying Racing Brake pads, you'd want their XT960 or 970. Anything else is a performance street pad that will fade on the track.

Welcome to the track money pit. Worth it, though, since it mods the driver.

Nate37AZ
06-14-12, 04:25 AM
That looked like lots of fun....how about meeting on the 23rd or the 30th. I'm good for either day. Would be nice to meet everyone and have a good V showing. Let me know

Either one of those works for me. Anyone else?