: New Transmission, few questions ???

SevillianSTS
05-24-12, 06:41 PM
Got my new trans in; old one did look pretty bad, the symptoms were grinding when going into reverse (other than if I went to 1st gear and then reverse). and also it was popping out of reverse intermittently.

There were score marks on the main shaft, and there was a little plastic cage that held some rollers was broke and the reverse synchro had a TON of play when you set it on the reverse gear; not to mention a lot of shavings on the magnets; probably from all the popping out of gear and griding in reverse.

I changed the trans fluid with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF when I first got the car at 69k (didn't look too bad coming out)
I then changed it again at around 75200 miles trying to see if that would help the problem before I took it in. now at 76k

- Should I have used a different fluid ?

- What is the best fluid I should use, or your recommendations ?

- Also, with the new trans, how long for break in; 500 miles ? and would you recommend changing the fluid then ?

- Could driving the car in 6th at too low of speeds done all of this ?

any other "DO's or DON'T" I should know about

Thanks

SevillianSTS
05-25-12, 12:24 AM
also, would a short throw shifter void a trans warranty ?

at our last Indy meet, i got to check out a B&M and it made mine feel like junk.

FuzzyLogic
05-25-12, 05:20 AM
See my post, #4.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/260376-my-2004-cts-v-has-47-a.html

raguncajn
05-25-12, 08:15 AM
I too have a new trans about to be installed, there is quite a bit of discussion about this on LS1tech.

The Redline that Fuzzy recommends is also highly recommended over there, as well as the Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid. There is a quote from an email from Tremec recommending the Pennzoil from the factory. Several people have commented that they noticed a smoother operation over ATF or GM Synchromesh fluids.

I am going to use this for my first fill, and if I don't like it switch to Redline.

Thomas M
05-25-12, 09:47 AM
Did you end up rebuilding the trans or taking it to a shop? I know there are a lot of discussions about which oil to use, but seriously, there is no magic snake oil out there. Keep the trans full of clean, quality ATF and you should be fine. If things break it is almost certainly not because of a failure in the oil, it's from abuse, poor design/installation or material failure.

For all of the respect I had for Tremec before I owned my V, I have to say I have lost some of that now that I am an owner of one. The transmission functions and seems to stand up to the power our cars have but I am amazed how many people have issues with them. For how long they have been around you would think they would figure out how to make them so that they operate smoothly and stand up to the driving conditions most folks subject them to.

SevillianSTS
05-25-12, 10:01 AM
GM Dealer, Warranty Replacement

----------

I'm still nervous to put it in reverse due to the old one and the grinding... but with this new trans I can tell all the gates have a more positive engagement feel now.
5th gear sometimes does seem to take a little more brute force to get the shifter to move though, is this normal ? or does that have to do with the crappy shifter bushings ?

alradco
05-25-12, 11:22 AM
Since you're going to have warranty, I would use what they recommend.

Peter

EdmundGTP
05-26-12, 01:18 AM
GM Dealer, Warranty Replacement

----------

I'm still nervous to put it in reverse due to the old one and the grinding... but with this new trans I can tell all the gates have a more positive engagement feel now.
5th gear sometimes does seem to take a little more brute force to get the shifter to move though, is this normal ? or does that have to do with the crappy shifter bushings ?

Every now and then getting mine into 5th takes an extra push. My trans only has 38k on it, so I suspect it's an inherent characteristic of the unit.

lollygagger8
05-29-12, 02:46 PM
I've used Mobil 1 ATF (and so did previous owner) and I've never had any problems.

Shifting issues have always been resolved with clutch bleeds for me.

Which Redline do you guys use? ATF? I used Redline (and loved it) when I had the stock diff.

jebfrank
05-29-12, 09:09 PM
I don't think it is recommended to use synthetic ATF fluid in our cars. Lots of people have had issues with it (Vette, F-bodies, GTOs, etc). When I first change out my fluid I went with Mobil 1, I then notice I was having issues with getting it into gear and took quite some time to warm up. Did some research and found it isn't reccomended, not only that I believe there were a few 06 GM products factory filled with Dexron VI that had quite a few shift issues, the fix was to put Dexron III back in it, which is non-synthetic.

Since Dex III has been superseded by Dex VI, GM will not reccomend the old product, in the case of an Automatic Transmission the new product is supposed to work in an older model. In the case of your T-56 it is reccomend by GM to use their Manual Transmission Fluid which I believe is relabeled Dex III.

For my smooth shifting 05, I went to advance and grabbed me a few quarts of cheap Castrol Dex III.