: Advice needed: How to kill poison ivy?

orconn
05-24-12, 05:49 PM
What is the best spray product you have found to kill poison ivy and other viney, woody stuff you don't want growing?

vincentm
05-24-12, 06:16 PM
Pour bleach on the roots?

cadillac kevin
05-24-12, 06:31 PM
I use roundup for poison ivy (they make one specifically for poison ivy...has worked quite well in my experience)

Rolex
05-24-12, 07:27 PM
Roundup with surfactant + MSMA = dead poison ivy.

Or you can spray it generously with diesel fuel.

Ranger
05-24-12, 10:31 PM
Ortho Brush-B-Gone

The-Dullahan
05-24-12, 10:58 PM
Dig it up and give it to my for my garden.

Submariner409
05-24-12, 11:28 PM
RoundUp 3 days before a rain, applied in bright sunshine. DO NOT apply in water runoff systems or near creeks - the stuff is certain death to aquatic invertebrates and fish, and it's tenacious: it lasts a long time.

Brush-B-Gone or GroundClear is good also - same warning for water pollution.

Believe it or not, crap like Chemlawn treatments are incredibly harmful to aquatic life.............

orconn
05-25-12, 12:13 AM
Thanks, guys, I will head off tomorrow for the right stuff. I think I tried "Brush-B-Gone" on, well, "brush" and it worked really well. I give it a try with the poison ivy. Sorry I can't help you, Dullahan*, as Ihope I won't have any to spare. However, If you are really hard up for the stuff I am sure there are amny others here in th Old Dominion who would welcome your taking some of theirs!

* I wouldn't think poison ivy or oak and kilts would go very well together!

Kev
05-25-12, 01:52 AM
.... Or you can spray it generously with diesel fuel...... and light a match ...... that should do it.

:coffee:

Submariner409
05-25-12, 10:55 AM
FWIW, When you use a herbicide like RoundUp or equivalent, it usually takes several dry days for the leaves to begin to turn yellow or brown - the stuff is "ingested" by the plant and it attacks the roots and sap circulation systems. And it doesn't take much - dampen the leaves and let it work.

Ranger
05-25-12, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
.... Or you can spray it generously with diesel fuel.

..... and light a match ...... that should do it.

Hehe, I was going to say that, but was afraid someone would take it seriously.

EcSTSatic
05-25-12, 12:27 PM
Definitely Roundup for Poison Ivy. My neighbor is a jerk when it comes to maintaining his property. I've approached him on controlling his noxious weeds and he said he "tried everything". I ended up hanging over my privacy fence (to hide his trashy yard) and spraying the poison ivy that was making its way to my side. I get a small uprising occasionally but not the invasion like in the past.

BigCadMan_1
05-25-12, 01:38 PM
Roundup with surfactant + MSMA = dead poison ivy.

Or you can spray it generously with diesel fuel.

This is what I use as well & it work great, it never come back....NEVER!

Rolex
05-25-12, 04:34 PM
Diesel fuel used to be the cheaper option. Now a day I'm not sure that's the case. :rolleyes:

orconn
05-25-12, 04:58 PM
Unfortunately the poison ivy is mixed in with other weeds and brush adjacent to a stream that runs through our property. We will have to use an herbicide with a surfactant so we can minimize the amount we should use and keep the runoff to a very minimum. We will also have to wait for a period of "dry spell" to make sure the herbicide doesn't wash off in to the stream. We have a pair of huge Red Shouldered Hawks that have hung out along the stream for, at least, eight years that we have lived here. I wouldn't want to poison them or their food sources!

Submariner409
05-25-12, 05:18 PM
Diesel fuel used to be the cheaper option. Now a day I'm not sure that's the case. :rolleyes:

heck.........nowadays it's almost cheaper to burn bourbon.

----------

I wouldn't want to poison them or their food sources!

Goodonya' ..................hawks and eagles we got, too.........

orconn
05-25-12, 05:22 PM
There won't be any burning of Scotch or Bourbon around here!

Submariner409
05-25-12, 05:32 PM
:alchi:So your war-torn body doesn't oxidize alcohol any more ? Poor you.......Matter of fact, it's time to sign off and head for the VFW for happy hour ! (I'll take on just enough fuel to come back and get snarky 'round about 10 PM.)

The-Dullahan
05-26-12, 01:31 AM
* I wouldn't think poison ivy or oak and kilts would go very well together!

Immunities. Besides, I wear boots. Big, sturdy boots.

When you die, there are special punishments for anyone who wastes good alcohol and they are among the most horrific ones of the whole lot.

thebigjimsho
05-26-12, 11:52 AM
No there isn't.

Kev
05-26-12, 01:20 PM
A little coctail of naphthenic and palmitic acid might be a bit easier to control, less runoff into the water tables.

:thumbsup:

The-Dullahan
05-27-12, 04:19 AM
No there isn't.

Oh there definitely is. Not a good idea to waste fine Irish Whiskey particularly though, as it is a highly revered tradition of the island and was considered to be representative of the country on the mainland as "The Water of Life" which was of course a definite gift from the gods. This is where the stereotype that the Irish are all heavy drinkers came from. The specific danger of violating this ancient custom is that to dishonour the Gods AND Ireland at once is most assuredly a bad idea as the mythos teaches us that the God of Death, who is personally responsible for the forces that inevitably cause your death (and directly plans them out and orchestrates them) as well as the one who you must answer to upon death and who will direct what happens to you from there...was born in the heartland of Ireland and has a reputation of taking traditions very seriously.

Unless you're talking about one of those New-Age Monotheistic religions, I guess. But those are kind of a cute little fad ;)

CIWS
05-27-12, 10:50 AM
What is the best spray product you have found to kill poison ivy and other viney, woody stuff you don't want growing?

Without a doubt the absolute most effective spray product I have found to deal with those kinds of problems, and actually many others, is a flame thrower ! !

http://frankylicio.us/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/flame-thrower.jpg

Just watch out for things like your home. Use with caution. Do not use in conjunction with or proximity of gasoline storage containers.

thebigjimsho
05-27-12, 11:37 AM
Oh there definitely is. Not a good idea to waste fine Irish Whiskey particularly though, as it is a highly revered tradition of the island and was considered to be representative of the country on the mainland as "The Water of Life" which was of course a definite gift from the gods. This is where the stereotype that the Irish are all heavy drinkers came from. The specific danger of violating this ancient custom is that to dishonour the Gods AND Ireland at once is most assuredly a bad idea as the mythos teaches us that the God of Death, who is personally responsible for the forces that inevitably cause your death (and directly plans them out and orchestrates them) as well as the one who you must answer to upon death and who will direct what happens to you from there...was born in the heartland of Ireland and has a reputation of taking traditions very seriously.

Unless you're talking about one of those New-Age Monotheistic religions, I guess. But those are kind of a cute little fad ;)

My God is more powerful than those gods.

talismandave
05-27-12, 12:28 PM
Without a doubt the absolute most effective spray product I have found to deal with those kinds of problems, and actually many others, is a flame thrower ! !
Just watch out for things like your home. Use with caution. Do not use in conjunction with or proximity of gasoline storage containers.
Environmentally friendly too! No run off to worry about with the creek!:bouncy:

Ranger
05-27-12, 12:36 PM
But breathing the smoke from burning poison ivy is far more dangerous than touching it.

77CDV
05-27-12, 10:58 PM
But breathing the smoke from burning poison ivy is far more dangerous than touching it.

Killjoy. :lol:

Kev
05-27-12, 11:07 PM
But breathing the smoke from burning poison ivy is far more dangerous than touching it.This is what makes cannabis eradication more enjoyable ....

The-Dullahan
05-28-12, 01:31 AM
My God is more powerful than those gods.

Which god is that? That guy who was born of a virgin on the twenty-fifth of December in a manger where three kings followed The North Star to meet him and was a prodigal student teacher by age twelve, performed miracles like walking on water, turning water to wine and raising a man named Lazarus from the dead? The one who had twelve disciples and died by crucifixion and was resurrected three days later?

Yeah?

Which ONE of those Gods? Horus? Thor? Dionysus? There are 103 Gods I can think of off hand who that story directly applies to. Not sure who had it first, but I can say it was circulating the world since before the Jews were an established race with any religion at all, so it is safe to presume the Christians, who derived race and heritage from the Jews were doing anything nut robbing another culture. Most likely the Egyptians, as usual.

On a related note, my vote goes to the flamethrower idea too. Everything can be solved with enough fire.

----------

cannabis eradication

Also the way the State Park (Which is across the street) does control burns, but with propane-powered ones. I wonder how much it pays...

Kev
05-28-12, 01:35 AM
Well, don't worry about it ...... you might consider cutting back on mind altering chemicals ..... just a random thought here.....

thebigjimsho
05-28-12, 04:07 AM
Which god is that? That guy who was born of a virgin on the twenty-fifth of December in a manger where three kings followed The North Star to meet him and was a prodigal student teacher by age twelve, performed miracles like walking on water, turning water to wine and raising a man named Lazarus from the dead? The one who had twelve disciples and died by crucifixion and was resurrected three days later?

Yeah?

Which ONE of those Gods? Horus? Thor? Dionysus? There are 103 Gods I can think of off hand who that story directly applies to. Not sure who had it first, but I can say it was circulating the world since before the Jews were an established race with any religion at all, so it is safe to presume the Christians, who derived race and heritage from the Jews were doing anything nut robbing another culture. Most likely the Egyptians, as usual.

On a related note, my vote goes to the flamethrower idea too. Everything can be solved with enough fire.

----------

Also the way the State Park (Which is across the street) does control burns, but with propane-powered ones. I wonder how much it pays...

That was God's son. Also not born on Dec 25th.

BigCadMan_1
05-28-12, 04:59 AM

Try this....but warning it may kill everything with-in ear-shot!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

brandondeleo
05-28-12, 09:55 AM
http://www.troll.me/images/victory-baby/hell-yeah-son.jpg

----------

That was God's son. Also not born on Dec 25th.

...pretty sure that was a sarcastic rant. :lol:

Kev
05-28-12, 10:12 AM
...pretty sure that was a sarcastic rant. :lol: We can only hope so ......

brandondeleo
05-28-12, 10:44 AM
The-Dullahan's got a certain way of communication that takes a little time to get used to. :thepan:

Submariner409
05-28-12, 11:01 AM
Please go back and read the CF rules covering religion and politics in the lounge. Read and heed................

CadillacLuke24
05-28-12, 08:19 PM
But I don't wanna play by the rules :crying:

Kidding, kidding. I love CF and want to stay.

TBJS, :thumbsup: