: Northstar interesting stuff....

98eldo32v
05-24-12, 07:36 AM
interesting info on this motor during development......

http://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/Computer_Analysis_Support_for_Northstar

Submariner409
05-24-12, 08:13 AM
Looks like, after 20 years, the head gaskets tolerate rocking loads in the vicinity of the front motor mount - but the front mount design is junk.

Faded Crest
05-24-12, 09:46 AM
I wonder how many people are driving around with bad motor mounts and don't even know it. And I wonder how much that would contribute to head gasket problems. If there is more stress with a healthy motor mount, I wonder what those numbers would look like with a broken one.

ternstes
05-24-12, 10:40 AM
I have torn apart three northstars and all have had their failures on the rear head gasket/block. Two with coolant visible in the number 1 cylinder, and another with a block crack between the 3 and 5 cylinders. Not scientific by any means, but it's odd. All 3 had front mounts that were shot as well. I can see the dilemma, though. A more solid mount would transmit more engine vibration to the frame and thus to the occupants.

Faded Crest
05-24-12, 10:48 AM
Same thing on the '98 ETC I am working on. Totally torn front mount and the rear head was the worst one. Talk about motivation to check y our motor mounts!

vincentm
05-24-12, 11:25 AM
I wonder now if I should have mine replaced lol

Ranger
05-24-12, 11:48 AM
Makes me wonder if that's why they eliminated the torque struts. :hmm:

vincentm
05-24-12, 05:14 PM
I at least was given new torque struts with this new block, but new mounts...hmmm

Faded Crest
05-24-12, 07:33 PM
Motor mounts much more important. I'd check 'em out. Not that you need to worry about head gaskets anymore... :rolleyes:

vincentm
05-24-12, 08:31 PM
Not that you need to worry about head gaskets anymore... :rolleyes:

:D \o/!

Submariner409
05-24-12, 10:44 PM
Consider that the engines fitted with either factory or fabricated torque struts (dogbones or rods) transmit ALL rotational torque to the left cylinder head and water crossover housing - and that the incidence of head gasket failure in these engines doesn't seem to be any more or less of a problem than engines without dogbones......................and with dogbones, the front motor mount is relieved of rotational torque stress............

Faded Crest
05-24-12, 10:48 PM
^^^ Unless they are worn out too. My '98 base Eldo had a bad front mount and two bad dog bones and it allowed for so much movement that it rocked back and rubbed a hole in the low side a/c line over time.

Submariner409
05-25-12, 09:43 AM
^^^ Unless they are worn out too. My '98 base Eldo had a bad front mount and two bad dog bones and it allowed for so much movement that it rocked back and rubbed a hole in the low side a/c line over time.

:stirpot:................. Naughty, naughty ! Your bad ! Preventive maintenance would have saved the A/C line and a bunch of work. :lildevil:

Faded Crest
05-25-12, 10:03 AM
^^^LOL... Not me... Previous owner let that happen. I'm just the one who got stuck replacing the line... And the compressor! :doh: