: Any concerns about buying a used GM fleet vehicle?

baatar
05-24-12, 05:17 AM
A couple of the used MT Vagons I am looking at are listed as former GM fleet vehicles. I'm afraid that might mean they have been flogged pretty hard, like you would a rental, and/or perhaps given to reporters for their testing so again probably driven pretty hard and perhaps tracked.

Are these legit concerns? Anyone have any experience buying a former fleet V2? Thanks!

Ste_V_e
05-24-12, 06:58 AM
You pretty much answered your own question. You can bet those cars have been beat.

commander112
05-24-12, 07:48 AM
It kinda depends. Most of the fleet cars were executive vehicles and while I'm sure some of those guys do get on the cars a bit I really doubt that they get on them much more or harder than some of the owners do. These are people that get a new ride often from the company and are used to having fun high po cars. It becomes normal for them to have cars like the V. It is not like giving these cars to a kid that just got their license. Some of them do get beat on and bent up though. Like any used car you just have to look it over and take your chances.

thebigjimsho
05-24-12, 09:10 AM
Look under the rear end.

If it has a box with slots in it, buy the car and sell me that box...

V Wagon
05-24-12, 10:35 AM
I bought a PEP car, the driver of it greatly annoyed me by parking too close to parking blocks and messing up the little chin spoilerlette pieces. The worst part is I know people assume I did it. I attempted to somewhat fix the one that was hanging only to discover it is supposed to be supported by a little piece molded on the fascia that is broke :( I would say that PEP cars generally aren't to beat on with managers driving them. Although they do trade vehicles a lot so there have probalby been more people checking them out and having fun with them than just the person it was assigned to.

The price on mine was right anyway, despite that issue.

If the cars were in the engineering fleet or used as Ambassador cars, run fast, especially on a manual. So many people think they can drive a stick and can't. Or know they suck at it but do it anyway and are somehow proud of their total manual driving ineptitude. And the engineering fleet cars get parts swapped and beaten on and tested with but as long as they don't get holes drillied in them or put on a durability test they still get auctioned when their use is done. The Ambassador cars, anyone can get ahold of for a week or weekend. Lots of people in and out of them, others are allowed to drive them and what not as well. So lots of people that don't normally get in performance cars beating on those.

GM-4-LIFE
05-24-12, 04:29 PM
I don't think I would ever buy a car like that. You never know what was done to it before, if it was crashed and put together or abused. The problem is you just never know and that would bother me enough to keep looking for another car.

oneman42
05-24-12, 06:35 PM
How about the Vs from the driving academy? I have one with a salvage title, 6k miles, the vendor say they are not allowed to over 4th gear so what should I do?
Thanks,
George

V Wagon
05-24-12, 06:44 PM
Saying you aren't allowed to go over 4th gear on a track isn't saying much. Most tracks are run completely in 3rd and 4th gear. Great, no one beat on the synchros for the gears you're never doing aggressive shifts into :lol:

baabootoo
05-24-12, 06:49 PM
My sedan was a GM fleet one, and had none of the regular issues I've seen here. It had the original tires (as seen by the date code) that were still almost new.

Trapspeed
05-24-12, 09:55 PM
Look under the rear end.

If it has a box with slots in it, buy the car and sell me that box...

I'll offer you a dollar more than him. :duck:

V Wagon
05-24-12, 11:58 PM
Some cars I'm sure do end u with an easy life. Auto show circuit cars or whatever.

You've seen those videos GM has put out showing or talking about the "Woodward Avenue Test"? Some of them also do that. So it's buyer beware like anything really. You could get one that's done basically nothing. You could get one that's been beaten harder than anyone in the real world would ever actually beat it.

CTSV12
05-25-12, 01:49 AM
So, all of the V cars here that are eventually traded or sold were driven by a retired school marm to church on Sunday morning? The reality of a used fleet vehicle is the same as any used vehicle with the possible exception of better service records. The only vehicles that worry me are those that have been through the auction. Many are fine, but the losers are dumped there to avoid direct sale to a customer when the known history is not good.

V Wagon
05-25-12, 12:00 PM
Aside from tagged PEP cars purchased by employees, all the GM fleet vehicles go to auction from the GM fleet.

nsaness
05-25-12, 06:01 PM
I do not have a fleet vehicle, but as someone who leases my V's, I have a few thoughts. I am religious with maintenance, and as a high mile commuter, some of the miles on my car are "easy" miles. I have never missed a day of work due to snow, so you can imagine all of the salt my cars are exposed to. I can also state that all 3 of my leased V's have had 100 shot of nitrous on them, and have seen the drag strip regularly in the summer.
Very few performance cars are not driven hard, but you drive a little harder when you know a new one is coming every 24 months...

IBMike
07-17-13, 07:50 AM
I'm facing this quandrey right now... a great deal on a used 2013 with 14k miles on it.

Given I only plan on keeping it for 2 years or so, it should be good to go under warranty (though I haven't 100% confirmed the warranty is good to go) for as long as I have it. So unless something serious comes up when I have it checked out, I'm gonna roll the dice and hope for the best.

Jinx
07-18-13, 11:57 AM
The CTS-V lives at the top of Hoon Mountain. Unless you're buying directly from a bought-new nobody-else-drove-it little old lady, of course it saw action.

But it seems like the car can take it. Between the active modding community and the lack of serious mechanical grief among the stock and near-stock crowd, I don't get the impression that the car is fragile. What's most of the traffic here in General about? The brakes click, the supercharger rattles, the diff whines. The car's noisy, but not fragile. The biggest weakness worry seems to be rocking Recaros. Am I wrong?

MacBuster
07-20-13, 12:00 AM
My wife used to be an "executive" for GM, and I've driven literally dozens of cars that would have gone to auction and been sold like this. I would never buy one. I had the opportunity when shopping for my V, and I chose to find one that was privately owned.

I was not kind to the cars. At all. And its pretty common for these cars to just have their keys handed over to whoever wants to drive. At my house for a bbq? Here, take the keys...those tires on the Vette are expensive, but meh. They are treated WORSE than rentals...since you need to PAY for damage to rentals. Seriously. Part of the whole reason for them to be out on the road is so that employees will flip the keys to randoms/friends/cousins, etc and get the cars tested by people.

I don't think I saw a single high-po car leave our possession with anything resembling useful rubber. (You should have seen the Impala SS...fwd burnouts. all. day. long.

PNBLWZD
07-20-13, 01:18 AM
LOL! I had the chance to buy a 2013 PEP car like this very recently, but passed also. I heard that overall these cars are usually treated fairly well, but of course it depends on who uses it. Each one only gets about 6 months of use and logs between 6-10k miles in that time, but if it's 1/4 mile at a time the low mileage doesn't do much good. At least you can inspect the car first with no obligation to buy, as long as it's local and you don't have to get it transported.

IBMike
07-20-13, 01:45 AM
I rolled the dice and bought the one I was looking at. I figure with 36k/38 months of warranty left, if it has issues, they should be addressed. If it was a car I was going to keep for 20 years I might be a little more worried, but as mentioned above, these cars seems to be pretty tough. I guess time will tell...

Jinx
07-20-13, 04:48 AM
Congrats IBMike -- how's your new ride configured? When do you get it?

IBMike
07-20-13, 09:15 AM
Congrats IBMike -- how's your new ride configured? When do you get it?

2013 Black Diamond coupe, #10 off the line for 2013! Loaded (wood/saffron recaros/yellow calipers/suede/roof/graphite wheels... did I miss anything? lol). They put 14k miles on it in 15 months (put in service Apr 12). Best part... $54,600 (will won' t know what taxes are until I get home and register it)! :thumbsup:

musclecar6
07-21-13, 08:26 PM
I think you've made a great move. Look at all the money you've saved & if it has the warranty in place while you plan to own it, you're covered. Would I personally buy a car like that ? Never. Ever seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off ? What do you think happens every time a fellow gear head gets his/her hands on a CTS-V or other similar car. They beat the ever living stuffing's out of it.

IBMike
07-22-13, 12:56 AM
I think you've made a great move. Look at all the money you've saved & if it has the warranty in place while you plan to own it, you're covered. Would I personally buy a car like that ? Never. Ever seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off ? What do you think happens every time a fellow gear head gets his/her hands on a CTS-V or other similar car. They beat the ever living stuffing's out of it.

I know there's a difference in the way rentals/fleet cars get treated, as those driving them have no $$ invested in their longevity. If I was going to keep this one forever I wouldn't go this route either. MIght pay for it when it comes time to sell it, but worst case, I trade it in and the dealer isn't likely to give a hoot that it was a fleet vehicle and I'd still get the same $ as any other 13. So I'll have fun with it for a couple years and move on.