: Remove film from the windows?

fivepix
05-23-12, 09:14 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone know how to remove film from the windows? I recently upgraded into a 2011 I got it at the end of April and now that the sun is out and in full effect I noticed that some of my windows have a weird film, check out the picture below. you can only see it in direct sunlight and only at certain angles, not visible at all from outside the truck.

I've tried cleaning the window inside and outside and it's not doing anything :hmm:but it's defiantly on the outside of the window.

I first noticed it when I was cleaning the truck for the 1st time when I whipped down the rear windows I can see what I think are dealer markings or numbers that were probably done with some wax pencil or something, they only appear for a second and go away. Then I noticed the film on the front two windows when I was cleaning the interior. I thought that when I got the windows tinted they must have messed up but it's defiantly on the outside and on all 4 windows.

I must have sat there and rubbed the windows for a half hour and it would not go away, I even tried using my fingernail to see if it would scrape it off but nothing.

As you can see from the picture it covers the entire window but it also looks like someone has scraped it with something at some point.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2470/escy.png

Could I use a clay bar to remove this? would a good detailing place be able to remove this film? any thoughts on what this is?

Ludacrisvp
05-23-12, 09:22 PM
Looks like a razor blade scraper works just fine. Then follow up with some type of treatment.

ZR1-638HP
05-24-12, 06:19 AM
Is it Possible the windows had a tint film applied at some time and then it was removed.
If so, it looks like left over glue. Try a fine piece of steel wool and some of the glue
begone remover product, maybe use WD40, its a lubricant and does disolve the glue.
Don't worry, steel wool will not harm or scratch the glass if use use a fine grade and don't
use excessive pressure.

hcvone
05-24-12, 07:25 AM
As said it looks like someone did a real poor job remove the aftermarket tint, you can scrape it with a razor blade, 3M makes an adhesive remover spray, you can find in some auto store like Pep Boys, if you cover the door area you can probably clay it off as well, just a little sloppy.

Nice Ride
05-24-12, 08:47 AM
He said its on the outside..... He has new window tint on the inside.....

Follow the recommendations above, and yes you can use a clay bar if you have one already. Hopefully it was not paint overspray from body work??? Good Luck.

48Dodge
05-24-12, 09:01 AM
Is it Possible the windows had a tint film applied at some time and then it was removed.
If so, it looks like left over glue. Try a fine piece of steel wool and some of the glue
begone remover product, maybe use WD40, its a lubricant and does disolve the glue.
Don't worry, steel wool will not harm or scratch the glass if use use a fine grade and don't
use excessive pressure.

0000 steel wool should do the trick.

hcvone
05-24-12, 09:35 AM
I guess I was not awake and did not read on the outside of the window, so it's overspray I would bet, was probably on the whole truck but was removed by clay, clay the windows, it was take a little time and a lot of lube but they will be smooth once finished, we used to cars and trucks at the shop with epoxy overspray, it took a long time to correct that issue

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-24-12, 01:44 PM
Glad to see so many forum members have been able to step in with helpful feedback so far! Fivepix, if you ever have additional questions and would like to utilize customer services, GM of Canada offers Canadian Customer Assistance Monday through Friday from 7:30am-11:30pm, and Saturday from 7:30am-6pm EST, at 800-263-3777.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

K9Caddy
05-24-12, 01:57 PM
Should be able to get some of that initial residue off with a simple razor blade. If the outside off the window feels "rough" and not smooth, it will be on the outside.. I sure hope they did not tint over that crud from the inside.

Nice Ride
05-24-12, 05:42 PM
Katie, why don't you ever go by your real name " Siri ". Well keep it our little secret.... Whoops, hope no one else reads this thread ....

fivepix
05-24-12, 05:50 PM
Thanks all, I'll try that 3M adhesive remover I got some of it around, if not I'm hoping the clay bar will take care of it I want to avoid the razor i don't trust myself with sharp objects :)

EDIT - the 3M adhesive works but it looks like it's gonna take a while and I'll have to do the area multiple times. I think I'll just clay

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-25-12, 11:26 AM
fivepix, thanks for the update! Let us know how the clay process works for you!

Nice Ride...:thumbsup:

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

71Dragtruck
05-26-12, 02:40 AM
Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

murphy
05-26-12, 03:31 PM
Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
Where you been Mr. 71DT ..? Have not seen a post from ya in some time..any pics of...say.. a new hood :)

71Dragtruck
05-26-12, 04:45 PM
Been working away, or basking in the pouring rain LOL.

Hood is still at the body shop, guy that was on the project hurt his shoulder and has been out for well over a week now, so they are only about 3 weeks off of when it was supposed to be done now, should be around a month and a half later then quoted when it's all said and done.

murphy
05-26-12, 05:32 PM
Been working away, or basking in the pouring rain LOL.

Hood is still at the body shop, guy that was on the project hurt his shoulder and has been out for well over a week now, so they are only about 3 weeks off of when it was supposed to be done now, should be around a month and a half later then quoted when it's all said and done.

Yikes..Is your track open..had the 'Lade out for a 1/4 mile run yet ? I put a depo on a black stable mate for the beast :)...delivery in a month or so..we'll see where this goes :) jury is still out

71Dragtruck
05-26-12, 06:29 PM
Yikes..Is your track open..had the 'Lade out for a 1/4 mile run yet ? I put a depo on a black stable mate for the beast :)...delivery in a month or so..we'll see where this goes :) jury is still out

Traitor :nono:

No track yet for me, either been working or is been raining.

murphy
05-26-12, 06:30 PM
Trader :nono:

No track yet for me, either been working or is been raining.

As in traitor ?.....It's for the wifey :)

71Dragtruck
05-26-12, 10:53 PM
Well in that case mine might need one too ;)

murphy
05-26-12, 10:55 PM
Well in that case mine might need one too ;)
Now yer talkin...:)