: Hub & Bearing OEM woes.

Rakenjevnk
05-23-12, 06:38 PM
I installed a brand new wheel bearing into the front right of my V. I have put around 6000 km on it and the whine of death has started to emanate when I am turning left and it's getting worse. Also ate up my winter tire on that wheel.

Therefore I have lost my faith in OEM wheel bearings (my uncles say that bearings nowadays have gone to crap.) Anyone know where I can get a better assembly? These things come with sensors & such and cost around $250 (MSRP $440). I don't want another lemon, anyone have tips/info? Can they be rebuilt with Timken bearings or something?

Has anyone else had trouble with hubs?

Would it be worth switching to the Vette hubs? Maybe built better and then my aftermarket wheel selection would skyrocket :)

JFensty
05-23-12, 07:19 PM
Do a search for skf X-tracker bearings (if I remember correctly). I'm on my phone and can't search that well.

PISNUOFF
05-23-12, 08:43 PM
Autozone carries the assembly made by Timken. I put one on the front of mine about 8,000 miles ago and it's still fine. It was about $250 US.

Dan_Gurney
05-23-12, 09:49 PM
there is a guy on ebay now with OEM front bearings for $62 shipped... i have not seen a pandemic of problems on the forums, so you may have got a bad one, or there may be a separate problem

Rakenjevnk
05-24-12, 10:42 AM
Thanks all, I will look into these sources.

@ Dan_Gurney: I agree that a separate problem could be in effect here; but the tires are new & balanced on a hunter. Lower control arm, knuckle, and hub where new, alignment report was within factory spec. Only the upper control arm on that side has not been replaced.

Ahhh vibrations... good times.