: next gen CTS-V with AWD??

tjw68
05-23-12, 11:20 AM
Any interest in AWD on the next CTS-V?
It would definitely help hook up all of that power at launch.:thumbsup:

JFJr
05-23-12, 11:25 AM
It should be an option for those that have to contend with snow, etc., and/or drag race. Otherwise, I would prefer to save the weight.

Jud

Tedboss1
05-23-12, 11:29 AM
There has been many threads on topic of AWD. For example::
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/186185-all-wheel-drive-cts-v-2010-a.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/253067-cts-v-awd.html
Google is your friend

Moparman4444
05-24-12, 03:44 PM
OMG YES!!!!! I would love an AWD V Coupe please. With AWD you could go with thinner tires giving a better ride w/o sacrificing performance. I have driven several 600-800hp AWD coupes and found 0-60 times under 3 seconds on street tires and great cornering to boot. The V could perform on a hole new level if even with added weight. Just my 2 cents

Tedboss1
07-10-14, 09:27 AM
I have heard that V3 may have some kind of AWD with electric motors.
Can anybody confirm this?

baabootoo
07-10-14, 10:50 AM
Only Merecedes Benz..........

Jinx
07-10-14, 10:56 AM
I can't see GM debuting that technology on Cadillac's balls-out midsize sedan. They'd use it to make an efficiency play, not add heavy batteries to the V. And they introduced the CTS with mechanical AWD, so for that car I think the door is closed.

However, that might be a play they make with the next SRX.

DCV
07-10-14, 11:11 AM
I don't want the weight of it nor the inherent understeer.

Tedboss1
07-10-14, 11:13 AM
Only Merecedes Benz..........
Porsche is also using electric motors to add 285 hp on their 918 super-car for total of 883 hp and 994 ft.lb. of torque.
Read more: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-porsche-918-spyder-first-drive-review

Tedboss1
07-10-14, 01:22 PM
I did some googling on the topic with the following results

GM is considering a Hybrid Corvette:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1086627_a-hybrid-corvette-dont-laugh-says-gms-mark-reuss

Here is 770 hp hybrid Corvette:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1088325_quanta-reveals-770-horsepower-corvette-z06-high-performance-hybrid

Tedboss1
01-22-15, 12:01 PM
There is light at the end of the tunnel:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/01/general-motors-developing-high-performance-electric-awd-system-for-chevy-cadillac/

Xaqtly
01-22-15, 05:21 PM
Even the M5 will probably be AWD next generation. Look at the problems the Hellcat has hooking up. Power levels are rising to the point where not having AWD is impractical because you're just wasting your power most of the time. There are so many examples of high performance cars with AWD now it's not even worth the time to run through them all. And since the CTS-V isn't a supercar where packaging would be a more serious issue, it makes sense to add it.

When you first saw the new E63 S AMG was hitting 0-60 in 3.2 seconds you were impressed, right? Some people even believed that made the E63 faster than the V. But the fact is MT's 5-60 tests, which eliminate the traction variable, showed that both the V and the E63 did 5-60 in 4.1 seconds. The main difference is that the E63 can get off the line in 3.2 seconds from a stop every single time, and at best the V will put down a traction-limited 3.9. That still doesn't make the V slower, but it does mean the E63 can make better use of its power in the lower gears and from a stop.

And why wouldn't you want that in the V? I could definitely use more traction in mine.

pat2t2f
01-22-15, 06:17 PM
Not to mention that 4 wheel burnouts are really cool (and twice as expensive)

CavemanB52
01-22-15, 08:54 PM
There's a reason race cars are not 4 wheel drive. I dont think 0-60 and 60 ft times are worth the push in the corners AWD will create. Id buy one but im not sure it would be rear biased enough for me.

Tedboss1
01-23-15, 09:09 AM
There's a reason race cars are not 4 wheel drive. I dont think 0-60 and 60 ft times are worth the push in the corners AWD will create. Id buy one but im not sure it would be rear biased enough for me.
You are right about race cars but new super cars are going that way.
Cars like McLaren P1, Porsche 918 and LaFerrari

Xaqtly
01-23-15, 01:24 PM

AWD doesn't create push or understeer. Just like RWD doesn't create push or understeer, yet most RWD cars understeer anyway, because that's dialed in from the factory for safety reasons. You develop the chassis and tune the suspension for whatever characteristics you want. Hell, these days there are FWD cars that feel like RWD - like the Fiesta ST - because it turns in so hard you can actually get the rear loose. No power on oversteer obviously but in turns the car will rotate like a good RWD car. And there are plenty of reasons race cars aren't AWD, but understeer isn't one of them.

Look at all the newer supercars with AWD, none of them understeer and all of them feel like RWD cars. They just have more traction in a straight line, and can exit corners faster. This isn't like the old days, or even 5 years ago. What that means is just that there are more viable options now than there used to be, in terms of adding traction via driving all 4 wheels. There are even multiple ways of getting power where you want it, either via a simple mechanical split like the E63, or via technology like what you see in the McLaren P1 where it just electronically controls where the power goes dynamically. Even the Subaru STi does it that way via its center diff, it can put as much as 80% of the power just in the rear.

In the V it would be most useful for overall traction, something that's an issue even on the V2 which weighs more and has 100 less HP. But it would also help in cornering, because the more grip you have leaving an apex, the faster you can exit the turn. With all the power the V has, having that grip can really make a big difference. There's no reason to assume an AWD system in the V would just be a static 50/50 split because it almost definitely wouldn't be, not in a performance application like a V series car. And if they made it an option from the factory, everybody would be happy.

Well almost everybody. Still needs a manual and a wagon. :D

CavemanB52
01-23-15, 08:22 PM
AWD doesn't create push or understeer. Just like RWD doesn't create push or understeer, yet most RWD cars understeer anyway, because that's dialed in from the factory for safety reasons. You develop the chassis and tune the suspension for whatever characteristics you want. Hell, these days there are FWD cars that feel like RWD - like the Fiesta ST - because it turns in so hard you can actually get the rear loose. No power on oversteer obviously but in turns the car will rotate like a good RWD car. And there are plenty of reasons race cars aren't AWD, but understeer isn't one of them.

Look at all the newer supercars with AWD, none of them understeer and all of them feel like RWD cars. They just have more traction in a straight line, and can exit corners faster. This isn't like the old days, or even 5 years ago. What that means is just that there are more viable options now than there used to be, in terms of adding traction via driving all 4 wheels. There are even multiple ways of getting power where you want it, either via a simple mechanical split like the E63, or via technology like what you see in the McLaren P1 where it just electronically controls where the power goes dynamically. Even the Subaru STi does it that way via its center diff, it can put as much as 80% of the power just in the rear.

In the V it would be most useful for overall traction, something that's an issue even on the V2 which weighs more and has 100 less HP. But it would also help in cornering, because the more grip you have leaving an apex, the faster you can exit the turn. With all the power the V has, having that grip can really make a big difference. There's no reason to assume an AWD system in the V would just be a static 50/50 split because it almost definitely wouldn't be, not in a performance application like a V series car. And if they made it an option from the factory, everybody would be happy.

Well almost everybody. Still needs a manual and a wagon. :D

I hear ya. And yes there are several reasons AWD isnt used on race cars. Unnecessary weight is another one. Just dont see the point is all... unless straight line in a street car/unprepared surfaces is an issue you're trying to correct. Its a delema for me to see why unless you're drag racing. And in that case buying a V or any care like it is like bring a knife to a gun fight. Cause drag cars are 2 wheel drive too once you want to go pinnacle. Which is true of most forms of car racing

----------

I agree though... If you want to dominate on the street from a dig AWD is a huge advantage. But how often is that an issue or needed. Pretty high extra cost for a rare situation.

LukeAnakin
01-24-15, 07:38 PM
AWD!?!
Yes please!

I for one am eagerly looking forward to additional information regarding the 2016 V.

LA

the blur
01-25-15, 06:35 PM
600 HP and AWD don't go together so well.

vfaninva
01-25-15, 07:39 PM

some might disagree.
Porche Carrera 4S, Porche 918 Spyder, McLaren MP4-12C, Lamborghini Mercielago LP650-4, Ferrari LaFerrai, Bugatti Veyron, Nissan GTR NISMO, and the upcoming Acura NSX are some that come to mind.

the blur
01-25-15, 07:41 PM
some might disagree.
Porche Carrera 4S, Porche 918 Spyder, McLaren MP4-12C, Lamborghini Mercielago LP650-4, Ferrari LaFerrai, Bugatti Veyron, Nissan GTR NISMO, and the upcoming Acura NSX are some that come to mind.

Please state the price tag on the above exotic's. And then state the price tag of the intended market of Cadillac V series.

vfaninva
01-25-15, 07:49 PM

Your original statement made no reference to price. The cars cited were used as examples of how well an AWD car can perform with 600 HP (and more).

Squirlz
01-27-15, 06:34 PM
Audi made AWD road racers in the late 80's I remember watching them drive circles around the competition in the rain at MidOhio. Very interesting program. Here's a link if you're interested. http://www.speedhunters.com/2009/05/retrospective_gt_gt_quattro_firepower_the_imsa_aud i_90_gto/

Tedboss1
01-28-15, 09:21 AM
If you want to see what AWD 845 hp Mustang can do, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEftTDRsiKY

LukeAnakin
01-28-15, 04:11 PM

Oh, but they could.
And, I hope they do. :)

LA