: Crashed my V Coupe...Pics here...

GM-4-LIFE
05-22-12, 07:29 PM
Here are some pics from the accident I got into this morning. It was a 4 car pile up on the 101 freeway here in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. I was the number 4 car in the accident. I saw that the accident had occurred and I slammed on my brakes as hard as I could which caused my car to pull severly to the right hitting a concrete highway barrier. My car bounced off the barrier or should I say my right front wheel bounced off the barrier and I hit the car in front of me at around 15 MPH. What really sucks is that I just bought a new right front wheel after it was damaged by a pothole. I was surprised this much damaged happened at that low of speed. The car I hit had a metal bike rack on the back of his mini-van which is most likely what caused the damage to the front end of my car. The car took the impact pretty well as I am only sore right now. No airbag deployment. It could have been much worse. Good thing I have a great insurance policy and I am dropping the car off at a local custom body shop to get repaired. They were able to match the black diamond paint as they just did a black diamond V Wagon a couple weeks ago. I will miss not having my V while it's being repaired, but I guess shit happens!

Here are the pics:

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/391d98fc.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/7317c71b.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/0a1b167e.jpg

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/368e604e.jpg

Bertbart
05-22-12, 07:36 PM
That is a bummer...at least you are OK.

EnvoyBu
05-22-12, 07:52 PM
Sorry to hear, but at least your okay. Did they give you a rental?

neuronbob
05-22-12, 07:57 PM
At least you're doing OK. :) Could happen to any of us at any time. Poor car! Good luck with the fix.

SoonerSpeedFreak
05-22-12, 08:46 PM
Could have been much worse! It will look good as new.

Maxniman
05-22-12, 08:59 PM
I am surprised that a performance car like the V would go sideways because the brakes locked - no abs?

smackdownCTSV
05-22-12, 09:03 PM
It doesn't look that bad. Good luck getting the black diamond blended.

hulksdaddy
05-22-12, 09:04 PM
Sorry to hear that bud. Glad you are ok, and the ride should be to go before you know it!

Mike02z
05-22-12, 09:07 PM
Man, that sucks. At least you're OK and the car is repairable. Keep us posted on the repair.

Kingoftypos
05-22-12, 09:38 PM
I am surprised that a performance car like the V would go sideways because the brakes locked - no abs?

2010 or 2011 is the first model year for all cars to have ABS. Or maybe it was some sort of stability control, which requires ABS anyways.

To the OP, glad your ok though. You said that you had the right front wheel replaced before. My question is, how about the tire? Is that the original, or new? That might of caused the little sideways motion. I don't know, just shooting that out there.

KOT

baabootoo
05-22-12, 09:54 PM
I wondered about the tire also, considering it was made in the middle of 2008! (2908) means 29th week of 2008.

smackdownCTSV
05-22-12, 09:55 PM
^ Good point. The tire looks like it is a 2008. Is the DOT the same on the other front tire? Mine is a 2010 and has a 2009 tire on it.

V locity
05-22-12, 10:26 PM
That sucks! Find a good body shop that you can trust & let them know you are taking a picture of the mileage & you don't want the car driven!!!

nynd
05-22-12, 10:36 PM
Ouch!! Black Diamond too... damages looks cosmetic which is good but I'm sure it hurts.

Pphilthy
05-22-12, 10:58 PM
Sorry about our accident - cars can be fixed and replaced, most important thing is you're ok...

JimmyH
05-22-12, 11:24 PM
Sorry to hear. On the other hand, any accident you can walk away from...

garfin
05-22-12, 11:43 PM
Just glad to hear you're OK! As you say, it could have been a whole lot worse. Hope they can put the car back so it's as good as new.

Best regards,

Elie

GM-4-LIFE
05-23-12, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys. Yes, I am ok. Just a bit sore. I am sure I will be feeling the effects in the next few days.

I have a Chevy Malibu as a rental. Body Shop said around two weeks and I took it to the best body shop around. They do a lot of custom stuff, have been around for over 40 years and I am confident my car is in great hands. I have used them over the past 10 years for various things and have referred over family and friends and everyone has been very happy with their work. Their paint work is better than factory and their collision guys are second to none. They just repaired a black diamond V wagon a couple weeks ago and they were able to flawlessly match the paint, so I am not worried at all. I know the owner of the shop and he is a great guy to work with.

I am really not sure why the car pulled hard to the right when I slammed on the brake pedal. I don't think I have ever applied that much force to the brake pedal. I felt ABS kick in, but I have never had that hard pulling feeling ever happen to me. Oh well. What can I do? Damage is already done.

Both front tires were replaced as a pair before I replaced the wheel. I got the pair off ebay as I got a great deal on them, but I don't think the pulling feeling was a result of the tires. Seemed like everything kicked in at the same time, but I just didn't have the space in that split second. I mean, I saw the pile up ahead of me and tried to avoid it and this time, I just couldn't. I have been able to avoid situations like this time and time again.

You guys all made me feel much better. Yes, it's just a car, but a very special one to me. I love the car more than I have ever loved a car before. It's the best car I have ever owned and it protected me when it really mattered. I guess I am happy that it is a lease, because if it were a purchase, I would be so damn mad right now.

I would really like to thank GM and Cadillac for building such an amazing and SAFE machine.

My insurance company has been great to work with. I filed the claim about 30 minutes after the accident which was around noon today. Within an hour, the Claims adjuster contacted and was really nice and very sympathetic to what happened. Right after I spoke to her, the field adjuster was ready to come out and look at the car at the shop. I have never seen a field adjuster wanting to go out and look at the car the SAME DAY as the accident to get me taken care of and the repairs started. I mean, I hadn't even had a chance to drop the car off at the body shop. Insurance company notified rental car company of the accident, who in turn also contacted me right away to let me know that they already had a car waiting for me once I dropped my car off. They have been absolutely amazing in this frustrating time. I have had really great luck with AAA. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Thanks again, guys.

SoCalCTSV
05-23-12, 12:38 AM
I picked the right day to work from home. My assistant rear ended someone yesterday afternoon on the101 N.

Good luck with the repair. Did you go to Precision?

GM-4-LIFE
05-23-12, 12:43 AM
I always go to Doug's Custom in Chatsworth. I don't think I have ever seen better quality work from any shop. They really are the best. You should see the Harley fuel tank they just did for a Los Angeles Lakers charity event. Simply amazing! They do lots of custom muscle car restorations, tons of custom Harley paint work, so my car is a piece of cake for them to handle.

thebigjimsho
05-23-12, 12:09 PM
Phew! I was nervous when I first opened the thread. That doesn't look bad at all. And glad to hear you're OK...

Xaqtly
05-23-12, 01:23 PM
FWIW I experienced something similar when I had to stop hard from high speed once. When I got on the brakes very hard, the front brakes worked so well that the rear end got light and started wiggling. I had to let off the brakes to let it settle then get back on them hard again. That was pretty scary, it could have gone very badly at that point. I didn't even feel the ABS which just means that the tires had a lot of grip and the braking force generated by those huge front calipers is absolutely immense. I've never been in a harder-braking car, and I've driven Z06s on a track. I can actually feel the skin on my face being pulled forward, it's ridiculous.

That's obviously a good thing, but with all the weight going to the front of the car, and with a lot of grip on the front tires, the potential exists to actually lift the rear tires off the ground which can be completely disastrous. It's almost better if you have to brake on an uneven or slightly slippery surface, because then the ABS will kick in and modulate the clamping force, which will leave your rear end on the ground where it belongs.

thebigjimsho
05-23-12, 01:35 PM
Badly rutted roads could cause a hard pull...

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-23-12, 02:15 PM
CTS-V-TWIN, I am just catching up on this thread today and am so very sorry to hear about your accident! I'm relieved you were able to walk away uninjured and glad your V is in good hands for repairs.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

GM-4-LIFE
05-23-12, 02:47 PM
It could have been any number of reasons why the car pulled hard to the right. Oh well.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words. I really do appreciate it!

Body shop just called...damage is between $12K to $15K!!!! It's a lot worse than it looks. They told me that it will be better than new when they are done with it. They are ordering parts today and should have everything late this week or early next week. Everything is going forward WAY faster than I thought it would. I thought my car would be in the shop for at least a month. Looks like it may be in the shop for less than two weeks.

Can't wait to get it back. After driving several CTS-V's over the years and then driving a Chevy Malibu, I really appreciate my car. You don't know what you have until it's gone.

hlantin
05-23-12, 04:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident and glad to see you're okay. Two weeks to get your car back isn't too bad..

GM-4-LIFE
05-23-12, 05:01 PM
Yes, thank you. I seem to be ok. I am still surprised at how fast everyone is working on this from the claims adjuster, field adjuster to the body shop. I think it may be less than two weeks. If it wasn't for the upcoming holiday, it would be less than two weeks for sure! Having the right insurance company makes a world of difference when dealing with an event like this.

thebigjimsho
05-23-12, 05:51 PM
What is involved for that estimate??

GM-4-LIFE
05-23-12, 06:03 PM
I will know when I get a copy of it. They are still working on it. Apparently the front bumper, grille, hood, front quarter panels, LH headlamp, radiator core support, oil cooler, radiator, A/C condenser, right front wheel, intercooler and they are still going through the front end to make sure they don't miss anything.

RapidRob
05-23-12, 06:26 PM
Really glad you are OK! Did the air-bag(s) pop? I'm guessing not ...

Rob

SoCalCTSV
05-23-12, 06:31 PM
It could have been any number of reasons why the car pulled hard to the right. Oh well.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words. I really do appreciate it!

Body shop just called...damage is between $12K to $15K!!!! It's a lot worse than it looks. They told me that it will be better than new when they are done with it. They are ordering parts today and should have everything late this week or early next week. Everything is going forward WAY faster than I thought it would. I thought my car would be in the shop for at least a month. Looks like it may be in the shop for less than two weeks.

Can't wait to get it back. After driving several CTS-V's over the years and then driving a Chevy Malibu, I really appreciate my car. You don't know what you have until it's gone.

Hey - I have a Chevy Malibu.

It's a 66 Malibu Chevelle though. haha!

GM-4-LIFE
05-23-12, 06:44 PM
Really glad you are OK! Did the air-bag(s) pop?

Rob

No airbags deployed during the accident. I don't think I was going fast enough for airbags to have deployed or maybe I didn't hit the airbag sensor, but everything else behind the bumper took a hit.

Karch
05-24-12, 04:06 AM
Sorry to see and hear about it. Glad you are ok.

GM-4-LIFE
05-24-12, 01:03 PM
Thanks Karch! I am fine. Car did it's job protecting me and I couldn't be more thankful.

DiamondWhtV
05-24-12, 03:02 PM
Glad to hear you are okay. Dollar amount is about right from the photos. Most of this is bolt on items so shouldn't take too long to repair. Paint matching will be the most critical thing to inspect when finished. Go over very carefully to see how well the blending is done. If not perfect, it will become obvious as time goes by.

GM-4-LIFE
05-24-12, 03:35 PM
Total preliminary estimate right now without any supplementals or incidentals that may arise once they have it fully apart is: $12,619.29. Body shop said that the entire front end will have to be painted and the doors will have to be blended in to ensure a perfect match. This shop is amazing at matching metallics. They have done work for me in the past and their paint match has always been perfect. They are very meticulous and if it doesn't meet their standards, they will re-do it until its perfect. I am really not worried, but I will look at the car from all angles in the sun to make sure it is no different than factory. My lease ends this coming February, so it's not like I am stuck with the car.

Kadonny
05-24-12, 04:39 PM
First off, I'm glad you are ok and avoided further damage or of course injury. Thank god.

What is involved for that estimate??

I had a similar incident 2 years ago, hit a car in front of me doing no more than 10 mph and was less damage than yours. They will replace the entire hood, which is very expensive (all aluminum), replace the entire front clip which is a chore (lot of other moldings have to come off first), straighten out the radiator support and replace the mesh and of course any other smaller pieces involved. My bill was over 4k and that was cheap as I know the body shop guys and I didn't turn it in to insurance. So my guess to fix yours along with the wheel refinish, you are looking at 6k minimum, maybe even 7 or 8.

But good luck, hope they match the paint and you get it back quickly.

Edit: Oh damn, 12k? Just saw your post.

GM-4-LIFE
05-24-12, 05:12 PM
Almost $13K! A lot of things got damaged behind the front bumper and that added a lot to the cost in terms of parts and labor. Yeah, it could have been worse injury wise. I am ok, thank god. I will most likely get a 2013 V Coupe when I turn this one back in at lease end.

RippyPartsDept
05-24-12, 06:32 PM
i think part of the airbag modules programming is to disable airbags under 20mph or 25mph (i think... don't quote me on that)

i don't think you need to hit the impact sensor either ... i'm pretty sure they are gyros or something

anywho, let me just be another to say 'wow, glad you're ok'

GM-4-LIFE
05-24-12, 07:02 PM
Thanks Chris. Yes, by the time my car had impacted the mini-van, I was going maybe 10 MPH or around there. I wasn't going fast at all. If the mini-van didn't have a huge metal bike rack pole on the back of his car, I don't think there would have been any other damage other than the front bumper.

Kingoftypos
05-25-12, 04:52 AM
Thanks Chris. Yes, by the time my car had impacted the mini-van, I was going maybe 10 MPH or around there. I wasn't going fast at all. If the mini-van didn't have a huge metal bike rack pole on the back of his car, I don't think there would have been any other damage other than the front bumper.

Since 99% of the damage is from the bike rack. I must ask, were there any bikes on it? If not, have your insurance company look into your state/local laws for products such as that and their being attached to the car while not in use.

This is assuming you received a ticket due to the fact you hit the rear of the car in front of you. Where most states, if not every where around the world, the person who hit from behind is at fault. BUT, if this bike rack wasn't there, you could of sustained a little scratch or dent in the front bumper. Know what I mean?

KOT

GM-4-LIFE
05-25-12, 01:03 PM
There weren't any bikes on the bike rack. It was a heavy duty Yakima bike rack pole. I didn't receive a ticket for the accident. Highway Patrol came out, but didn't take a report because nobody complained of any injuries. My insurance company said that when you rear end someone, it is your fault as I didn't keep a safe distance. This is my first at fault accident in my entire life. Been driving 20 years and have never been at fault for an accident. Oh well.

JimmyH
05-25-12, 04:53 PM
Police seem to be trending towards not assigning fault in accidents. When I got sideswiped, I asked the officer who she was determining at fault, and she said she wasn't, that it was up to the insurance companies to work out.

GM-4-LIFE
05-25-12, 06:15 PM
Very true. Highway Patrol Officer didn't really care to determine fault. He just said exchange insurance information. It was a 4 car pile-up, so in this case, the guy in the very front is the winner.

SoCal_V
05-26-12, 05:24 PM
Dang dude, not sure how I missed this thread but as everyone has said--glad you're OK, that's most important.

Cars & "things" can be replaced; people cannot! Cheers.

GMX322V S/C
05-26-12, 08:19 PM
I will know when I get a copy of it. They are still working on it. Apparently the front bumper, grille, hood, front quarter panels, LH headlamp, radiator core support, oil cooler, radiator, A/C condenser, right front wheel, intercooler and they are still going through the front end to make sure they don't miss anything.

Glad to read you're okay. Might want to salvage the HID capsule if it survived without damage in case there's a color mismatch with the new one...

GM-4-LIFE
05-27-12, 01:20 AM
Glad to read you're okay. Might want to salvage the HID capsule if it survived without damage in case there's a color mismatch with the new one...

I didn't know you could even do that. I doubt they will even try, if the color is different. I can't see that happening though.