Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Well, my body shop received my Extreme Composites hood today and

9K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  seeyouinajif 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Well, my body shop received my Extreme Composites hood today and

it was damaged in two places. It was definately dropped atleast two times because there is a chunk out of the front nose as well as the drivers side at the rear. The hood could definately have been packaged better but, it did say in big red letters, " Do Not Lay Flat" When the owner of the body shop went to the Fed Ex truck to get the hood...it was laying flat. The good news is that Fed Ex didn't collect any money for the delivery, so the body shop is going to fit the hood tommorrow to see if it is close enough to keep. If it is, I will pay the body shop to fix Fed Ex's shipping damage and Fed Ex can take the loss on their end. This is the second item in the last two weeks that I ordered that was damaged by Fed Ex. Fed Ex SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will keep you posted.

#4 · (Edited)
I wasn't there to accept or deny the hood. The only reason the body shop allowed the Fed Ex driver to leave the hood is because he did not ask for any payment. It makes me wonder if he knew that there was significant damage. Anyhow, if the body shop does not like the way it mounts and does not think it is worth fixing, it will be sent back and I will go another route with a different company. Were your edges also real inconsistant, with regard to the depth, along the outside of the hood? Mine is very wavy, with sharp underside edges, all the way around.

#6 ·
It appears yours was a "good hood". My lines are no where near straight. I am going to wait until I hear from the body shop tommorrow. If they say send it back, due to the damage, it will go back and I will find another supplier. Let's hope for the best because I really like the look.

#7 ·
I was the second person to receive a hood from them years ago. I think it should of been packed better, but I had no problems. However.... looooong story, a friend of one of my employees took my hood home, put my vents in and painted it. It looks like shit. He messe up the bondo arond the vents really bad. Needles to say ..... no one wants to put their hands on the hood. So now I am going after the guy.
Good Luck: FedEx should take care of it!

#8 ·
Thats exactly what happened with mine too. Ordered it because of hail damage on my stocker. The right rear end of the hood (driver side), the whole corner was broken off. Luckily we didn't accept the order. EC gave me a full refund. Didn't want to order a replacement.

#9 ·
UPDATE: My body shop mounted the hood and the reveal along the front fenders is very good. The body shop also said they can repair the damage for about the same as the shipping cost would have been from Fed Ex, had Fed Ex collected. I have decided to go forward with the project. Hopefully, I will have my car back by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I will post pictures when it is done.

#12 ·
The hood was painted today and is going to be mounted tomorrow. If the color is a good match it will be buffed along with top of the front fenders and I should have my car back. If it is not a good match, due to the car and original paint being 7 years old, they will blend in the top of the front fenders. Hopefully, this will not be needed. I am debating on having a custom decal made for each side of the hood where it raises up on the sides. I will post pictures asap.

#13 ·
UPDATE: The saga continues...... When the body shop began working on easing the sharp edges that are all the way around the hood, on the underside, the edges came apart in several places. Luckily, my body shop is used to doing custom work with fiberglass and was able to fix the problems. Unfortuately, more time/labor means more money from me. Hopefully, I will have the car back today.
Also, according to Fed Ex, the hood gained 105lbs. going from 50 lbs. to 155 lbs. while being shipped. Apparently, Fed Ex felt the need to re-weigh the hood while it was in route, so they increased my shipping rate from the original $133.81 to $246.00. What group of idiots could possibly beleive an item that does not live, breath, or eat can gain 105 lbs. over a five day period? The one and only, Fed Ex. After spending approximately 30 minutes on the telephone with one of their supervisors, I was finally able to convince him that my hood did not gain wieght while being transported. So the good news is, I only have to pay the original $133.81 for the hood that Fed Ex damaged. Have I ever mentioned Fed Ex SUCKS?
Meanwhile, after calling and leaving a message letting Mona know that I have the pictures of the damaged box that she requested, all I am hearing from Extreme Composites is crickets. That's right, nothing. Mona was real helpful until she found out Fed Ex was not going to back charge her for the damaged hood. And, the reality is that the hood was very poorly packed. There was no styrofoam or bubble wrap to stabilize or hold the hood securely in the box.
Unfortunately, this also makes me beleive that if there is another issue with the hood, in the future, there will be no warranty.
My advice, NEVER use Fed Ex or a company that only offers Fed Ex as the delivery option.
To some, this post may sound like I am mad or bitter, I am neither. I am mostly dissappointed with everone involved except for my body shop. Bottom line, I am writing all of this, as a review, to give all of you information that might help you make a more informed decision if you decide to buy an aftermarket hood in the future.
Will the hood look good on my car? Thanks to the time and effort my body shop spent fixing, prepping, and painting it, it will look great. Would I do this all over? Not with the same set of circumstances.

#14 ·
I feel for you, man, and I much appreciate you keeping us abreast of how this is turning out. Considering all the excitement about getting the group buy together, I haven't seen much of anything (other than this thread) with feedback on how the hoods actually look.

#15 ·
I went and picked up my car today. The hood looks really nice installed. As I was backing in to the garage my wife, who had just pulled in to the driveway, got out of her car and began to follow me. Once in the garage, I asked her what she was doing, and she instantly told me how good the car/hood looked. Keep in mind, I am 50 years old, have never been in the car business, but have owned, modified, or completely restored over 60 different cars/trucks. So, it is very rare if my wife notices a vehicle.
Do I beleive the hood would have turned out this nice without my bodyshop's persistance, patience, and eye for detail? NO WAY! Would I recommend any of you take on this project? ONLY.... if you have a body shop that you trust to do #1 classic car restoration quality work with fiberglass (which is much different than metal). "Caveat emptor"
I have a couple of very busy days ahead of me but will try get a few pictures posted early next week.

#16 ·
UPS isn't much better, neither company can handle large freight simply put.

I had shipped a wood crated AEB 1.8T cylinder head (they're rare to find in working condition) to a guy and it arrived to him in a generic brown box with the tiny amount of packing I had in the orginal crate.

needless to say, someone dropped it, destroyed the crate and it arrived to him with several dings and broken tabs.

luckily I had paid for $900 worth of insurance, and they paid to fix it for him.

#17 ·
Re: UPDATE: Well, my body shop received my Extreme Composites hood today and

After a long, and at times frustrating process, as promised, here are a few pictures of the finished hood mounted on my car. All of the credit goes to my bodyshop for their patience, persistance, and quality work.

Attachments

#18 ·
I'm viewing these on my iPhone screen, but as far as I can tell, the hood looks solid. Fitment looks OEM quality.

Tackelbarry, how's noise, airflow, and heat under the hood? I was considering having a custom hood liner made. Have you thought about something similar? What about your windshield waster sprayers? Are those totally gone now, or have you placed them below the hood?

#22 · (Edited)
Fuzzy, I checked my original hood liner and it will fit with very minor trimming. However, it also appears that the factory holes for the plastic retaining pins are in areas of the new hood where there may not be enough void space to make them work. Also, I have a possible windshield wiper arm, that includes the sprayer, on the way and will let you know if it will work. Hopefully, it will be here by the weekend. Stay tuned.

#19 ·
Fuzzy,
I am not able to hear any difference in the noise level. I have only had the car back for a couple of days and today was the first chance I had to drive for a half an hour or more. The engine temps were still in their normal range, so everything should be fine. Tomorrow I am going to look and see if the original heat shield can be modified to work with this hood. I will let you know. I have temporarily disconnected my windshield washer sprayer but am looking for away to adapt them to the windshield wipers. I know some of the Volkswagons are set up this way. I will try to call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac and see if there are any GM vehicles with the same length wipers that have the sprayers attached that we can use.
Like I said in my earlier post, for anyone considering this modification, make sure you have a bodyshop that is able to complete #1 quality custom work "with fiberglass" or you will most likely be dissappointed with the end product. You are right, my hood looks like it was, born on the car, from the factory and I have already had several, WOW! type, compliments on the first day out in public. All in all, I am very happy with the end product, thanks to my bodyshop.

#23 ·
Thanks for keeping me informed, Tackelbarry. I'm definitely going to be carefully examining heat, both on the hood surface (bad for the paint) and the seal on my open-top custom Lingenfelter CAI. If there's any way I can also add some sound deadening material, I'm going to do that too.

#26 · (Edited)
I believe the wipers from a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado dbl. cab truck will work. You will need the wipers, nuts, and nut caps. Also, you will probably need to re-route the original supply lines under the plastic cowl and then extend them with hose line to attach to the wipers. I had Luke at Lindsay send me one wiper to test, but I did not have all of the parts so I sent it back until I have the time to complete the project. Overall, the 2005 wiper assembly appears to be about an inch shorter than the original assembly. So, you can make up the difference with either a longer set of wiper blades or leave it approximately in inch shorter than stock. Hope this helps.

#27 ·
That looks really good!.. Id say stock if I'd never seen the original. Much beefier, very V2-like without going over the top.

The midday shot along with the grass hides the stock height well, which makes it look better overall considering the raised hood.

The heat extractor is still my overall favorite but in silver I like this better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.