: Can I put larger tires on my ESV?

mountainmaxman
05-22-12, 02:44 PM
I have stock optional 285/45 R22 tires and use my truck on dirt roads, the stock P tires keep getting flats, I found some Nitto LT tires but can only get the in a 50 series, so I wondered if I could get a set of LT285/50 R22's to fit and clear without any problems? Thanks in Advance.

hcvone
05-22-12, 03:03 PM
I have stock optional 285/45 R22 tires and use my truck on dirt roads, the stock P tires keep getting flats, I found some Nitto LT tires but can only get the in a 50 series, so I wondered if I could get a set of LT285/50 R22's to fit and clear without any problems? Thanks in Advance.

They are 33 1/4", they are going rub something I would guess on a stock truck. That is the problem there are no good HD tires in our size in 22's, that is why in the winter I run 18's or 20's to get the good tire choice, and I have not had any issues driving on our dirt roads, well that is after they are swept to get all the snowmobile studs off the roads before they end up in the tires.

mountainmaxman
05-22-12, 06:52 PM
I was going to get a set of 18" rims for winter tires also. I just thought these tires are just over an inch taller then stock and that means 1/2 "on each side lets say, thought they might clear, I'm sure someone here must have tried at one time...

murphy
05-22-12, 07:00 PM
They will very likely rub against the inner fender firewall liner on the front. To give you an idea of how close the tolerances are I added a 5/8" spacer between my stock platinum wheel and hub to clear the oversized Baer brakes and now my new oem Bridgestones rub (albeit minor) especially on the driver side. Too bad as I really wanted to go to the larger width Dueler tire..
You might be able to coax them to fit and not rub by using a heat gun and manipulating the liner..

mountainmaxman
05-22-12, 07:03 PM
Ok, I have a second choice, 305/40 R22's What do you think about those? a tad bit wider but with the lower profile ratio and wider tire should be close?

murphy
05-22-12, 07:38 PM
Very likely rub but again how bad??? and a fit may be an option..

mountainmaxman
05-22-12, 07:55 PM
they are listed as a small bit lower and only slightly wider so I think it's a better choice then the higher ones, I have to get one or the other and see what happens....

felixgun
05-23-12, 06:22 AM
Mine aren't bigger but they are wider. I went with 305/40/22's and love the wider tire... it adds an aggressive look to them. I went with the Nitto NT420S tires... love em!!!

mountainmaxman
05-23-12, 06:30 AM
Awesome, I was thinking the same thing, wider looks cool, so I ordered the Nitto's in the 305/40 size, can't wait to get them. thanks for the input guys

hcvone
05-23-12, 07:01 AM
Awesome, I was thinking the same thing, wider looks cool, so I ordered the Nitto's in the 305/40 size, can't wait to get them. thanks for the input guys

I know several people running that size without any rubbing