: suede parts worn after 40K miles?

M5eater
05-22-12, 08:50 AM
while reading C&D's 40K longterm Vagon and the EOL for them (they only keep em 40K, and they managed that in ONE year!)

they did mention that the suede had 'worn off' and by their pictures you can honestly see that the TR6060's pleasure knob and the wheel are very smooth.

I wonder though, if they've ever took a proper soft bristle brush or know how to clean suede and if it's simply matted down and not acutally 'worn' off. You'd think someone at an autmotive magazine would be at least a half-pro DIY detailer right?...

Anyone have a lot of miles on their suede parts that can comment? I managed 7-8K on mine before I sold the black one and they were just like new.

smackdownCTSV
05-22-12, 09:19 AM
I read that too. I think it's pretty worn but I've yet to see before and after pics.

JoeS823
05-22-12, 09:22 AM
I saw that article, the knob looked so worn it was shiny but i didn't notice the steering wheel

larry arizona
05-22-12, 11:42 AM
M5eater, If you are interested I have some Alcantara information to share. I would rather not share it on this forum yet. New to this forum, how can I get in contact with you offline?

neuronbob
05-22-12, 12:18 PM
Good question, M5eater. I'm still mulling over a steering wheel and automatic shift knob replacement with the suede, so long-term wear will help me decide.

cdog533
05-22-12, 12:18 PM
M5eater, If you are interested I have some Alcantara information to share. I would rather not share it on this forum yet. New to this forum, how can I get in contact with you offline?

Dude, I don't think you'll be spilling any big Alacantra secrets not fit for public dissemination... Even if it's a product, people won't go ballistic unless you are making the stuff in your garage.

larry arizona
05-22-12, 12:23 PM
Cdog. I have my reasons. but I promise that the information is good, solid and worth the wait.

M5eater
05-22-12, 12:47 PM
Good question, M5eater. I'm still mulling over a steering wheel and automatic shift knob replacement with the suede, so long-term wear will help me decide.

meh, I wouldn't let that keep you from one. An entire set from GM is <$300 right now if you have any decent parts guy. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that would wrap an existing wheel for that much.

@ larry- check my profile.

smackdownCTSV
05-22-12, 12:54 PM
The suede is nice despite it being matted down. Driving a base CTS rental made me appreciate the suede option and recaro option seats.

M5eater
05-22-12, 01:01 PM
The suede is nice despite it being matted down. Driving a base CTS rental made me appreciate the suede option and recaro option seats.

+1 It's nice, but what would have been perfect, would be a sueded headliner. I have a feeling though that peach/pearl colored suede doesn't look nice though.

I also just realized that I probably will never have it done because the back seats do not fold down, the only way to remove the headliner in my roof-less car is to fold it up through one of the doors or to take out the back glass... ugh.

RippyPartsDept
05-22-12, 01:22 PM
i bet C&D never took good care of their suede... over time if you don't rejuvenate it it will eventually not be able to come back to the way it once was ...

you can't really fault the product for the owners' lack of care

M5eater
05-22-12, 01:39 PM
i bet C&D never took good care of their suede... over time if you don't rejuvenate it it will eventually not be able to come back to the way it once was ...

you can't really fault the product for the owners' lack of care

I know that they don't take it down to the local $5 scratch and soak car wash once a full-moon(I believe they've said a few times they have their cars fully detailed by a pro when it gets sold), but we are talking about a glorified rental vehicle with no single owner here. I bet motor-trend's Black Diamond Vagon fairs much better.

pmsteinm
05-22-12, 02:00 PM
I have 35k miles and my wheel still looks like new. I don't have suede on my manual shift knob because my car is one of the ones with that manufacturing "defect" that occurred early on. I never complained because I decided I liked the leather knob as is.

I always wash my hands before driving the car which helps cut down on the oil. I so far have just cleaned the wheel with a damp cloth.

M5eater
05-22-12, 02:02 PM
Dude, I don't think you'll be spilling any big Alacantra secrets not fit for public dissemination... Even if it's a product, people won't go ballistic unless you are making the stuff in your garage.
If what he's telling me is accurate, it's a pretty big deal. That's all I feel should be said at this time.

xmaciek82x
05-22-12, 02:05 PM
Well... what's the big secret regarding alacantra/suede?

RippyPartsDept
05-22-12, 02:42 PM
well here's some info from Wikipedia ... in case you didn't know

Ultrasuede vs. Alcantara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasuede#Ultrasuede_vs._Alcantara)

Huge debate is often given over the differences in Ultrasuede (as it is known in the US and a registered trademark of Toray Ultrasuede (America), Inc., the U.S.-based marketing arm for the man-made suede) and Alcantara (as it is known in Europe and made by Alcantara S.p.A which is 70% owned by Toray Industries, Inc.).[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasuede#cite_note-5) Both are a faux man-made suede made from a polymer microfiber. Both were created in the 70's and is commonly referred to as ultra-microfiber. The Alcantara product is produced in the city of Terni in Italy while the Ultrasuede product is produced in Japan. They are very similar for the most part with the Alcantara product being available in non-backed versions, backed with a poly woven fabric backing and a foam backing. The Ultrasuede is available in non-backed versions and backed with a poly woven fabric backing. The production of the products is identical with the only real difference being in the dying process: Alcantara has a slightly mottled appearance while the Ultrasuede is a little more rich and consistent in its dye/color.
Most confusion comes from the automotive lines. Alcantara has a number of automotive lines including Cover, Formal, Compact, Panel, Soft, and Perform (all with slightly different qualities depending on the application). However, there are only two types of Ultrasuede lines designated for the automotive market, the first two specific to automotive: Ultrasuede Ambiance - wide array of colors with no backing, and Ultrasuede Milano - this has a backing material to it and is more suitable for automotive applications such as seat upholstery.
In truth both materials are made in the same manner and to the same specifications with the only difference being the products color range and appearance. "After Ultrasuede started being produced in Italy under its European name, Alcantara, Okamoto would be named recipient of the Leonardo Prize, for contributing to the global luster of MADE IN ITALY."[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasuede#cite_note-6) Clever marketing and a wise placement of a production facility on Toroy’s part gave them a product that was a direct competitor for Italian leather. Sadly, due to lack of brand recognition Ultrasuede has been used to describe most all microfiber suedes on the market, where Alcantara has managed to hold onto their namesake.

Ross L
05-22-12, 02:54 PM
WOW. my car has 40k and the wheel and knob had a "shine" where it "looked" like it was worn. I read somewhere about cleaning it with soap and water(imagine that). Well, took a wet rag with soap added and scrubed the wheel. Next a clean damp cloth/micro fiber to rinse and buff. Lastly a dry micro fiber to dry and fluff. I can honestly say the wheel looks new again! Take it for what its worth.
Ross

SoCal_V
05-22-12, 03:03 PM
I "refresh" the suede on my V's steering wheel & shifter using Griot's Interior Cleaner. No dyes or perfumes or oils, but cleans better than water IMO. I give it a thorough scrub and fluff it up w/a microfiber towel. So far so good. I don't doubt it will matte down eventually though.

Rule12b
05-22-12, 04:12 PM
BigJimshow had a thread about using a microfiber towel soaked with DAWN dishwashing soap and water. Scrubbing the heck out of the wheel, then drying it with a clean microfiber towel. I did this last week and I am positively thrilled with the results. DAWN is a great oil-cutter and the wheel and knob feel like new again.

js615
05-22-12, 04:23 PM
I still want to know what the big secret is. I thought this was a place for sharing...

smackdownCTSV
05-22-12, 05:14 PM
The secret is a secret!

allinmyhead
05-22-12, 06:16 PM
Rule #1 about the secret is that you don't talk about the secret.

larry arizona
05-22-12, 06:20 PM
Forums are a place for sharing information. I have been on various forums over the past 8 years and know all too well how sensative subjects get blown up and sometimes at others expense. What I choose to share benefits all of us if done respectfully and with good judgement. Alcantara is a very good fabric and relatively easy to clean and maintain and with good care will last a LONG time. However, it is not without fault. With some liberal reading between the lines, If your Alcantara wheel should wear out prematurely, GM has quietly done you a favor of giving you 2 steering wheels when you bought your suede packaged V. You get a one time freebie replacement of either another suede wheel or a leather replacement if within your warranty period. This is not in writing (almost 100% certain that dealers have no idea about this), but with using polite and reasonable explanation your wheel can be replaced. Take it for what it is, call me a liar or fabricator but it may help those with suede that is worn out too soon cough....cough.....

smackdownCTSV
05-22-12, 06:28 PM
^ I hope so, because the next time I bring it in to get serviced, I'll be kindly "requesting" a freebie.

thebigjimsho
05-23-12, 12:00 PM
:mystery:

Ross L
05-23-12, 12:40 PM
I never would have believed steering wheel "wear"(if it is even that, give it a good cleaning) could result in a warrenty replacement. IMO it was a reasonable expectation ,of mine, that the Fuzzy wheel *may* not look good as long as the standard wheel.They can give my free wheel to someone more deserving :) Good info though.

cadillaxe
02-13-13, 08:37 AM
i'm planning to place an order for a vcoupe next month. the suede wheel/knob is the one thing i'm still on the fence with. my leather ones on the GTO were showing wear under 100K miles, so it's not perfect either. knowing the suede is actually synthetic, and sounds like you guys are able to rejuvenate yours with good care/wash. (as a bike builder i've also learned dawn is great for even jeans with grease/oil!). the suede feels awesome, and i'd think better friction/grip. i don't plan on putting a ton of miles on it, as i'd ride the bikes to work most of the time. i plan to have this car a long time, so i want everything to last well.

in your guys opinion from each camp, would you still recommend the suede or not and why? thanks for your input.

V2 BRAWN
02-13-13, 12:39 PM
I have noticed for years my wife is tough on steering wheels. They always look dirty. It's due to the lotion she uses on her hands which leaves residue and attracts dirt. I wouldn't be surprised, as was stated above, that it was just dirty. Obviously some people's hands are naturally more oily than others, not to mention possible differences in personal hygiene.

Xaqtly
02-13-13, 12:54 PM
I need to clean mine, as it's getting matted. But I don't think it's worn down, I think it just needs a good cleaning. Almost 30k miles on mine.

cadillaxe
02-13-13, 02:43 PM
so the suede takes more cleaning, but any distinguishing pro's about it compared to plain black leather? or just the cool/different factor? seems like a better grip on it?

Xaqtly
02-13-13, 02:53 PM
Better grip, you can touch it without getting burned after leaving it in the sun all day, softer. I'm pretty sure I prefer it over leather.

V2 BRAWN
02-13-13, 08:06 PM
I've had some great leather steering wheels in the past all the way from my first Trans Am in 1976 through my last Porsche (which is known for their leather interiors) and wood wheels in a couple of Lexus cars I owned. I enjoy the suede most of all. I was a little leery about ordering it at first but figured if it didn't work out, I could always cover it in leather. Unless it just falls off the wheel, I'm glad I got it.

brent38
02-13-13, 08:13 PM
I have noticed for years my wife is tough on steering wheels. They always look dirty. It's due to the lotion she uses on her hands which leaves residue and attracts dirt. I wouldn't be surprised, as was stated above, that it was just dirty. Obviously some people's hands are naturally more oily than others, not to mention possible differences in personal hygiene.

Solution; DON'T let your wife drive the V!

Mystical_Ice
02-13-13, 08:44 PM
I'm sorry to hear about this issue, but it does make me feel better. The only option I was ADAMANT against getting was suede shifter and wheel. I figured after a few years of sweaty hands, it would start looking horrible.

dennych
02-13-13, 08:56 PM
Hm, good to know. dawn + water + microfiber cloth = clean :)

thebigjimsho
02-13-13, 11:34 PM
Mine look great nearing 46k miles...

cadillaxe
02-14-13, 07:06 AM
I've had some great leather steering wheels in the past all the way from my first Trans Am in 1976 through my last Porsche (which is known for their leather interiors) and wood wheels in a couple of Lexus cars I owned. I enjoy the suede most of all. I was a little leery about ordering it at first but figured if it didn't work out, I could always cover it in leather. Unless it just falls off the wheel, I'm glad I got it.

this is kind of what i was looking for. had a few porsches, the GTO now, and good to hear you're happy with the suede choice. good chance i'll go with it. i don't think i'd regret either way, minor detail on the big scale of the car, but still appreciate the input.

mystical ice, i assume your reason against it was durability concern or was there another reason?

Saleen09
02-19-13, 09:09 PM
I agree with what most have said here. Have had Alcantra/Suade inserts on most of my seats in the last 10 or so years over various vehicle. Woolite, damp cloth to wipe off then buff with micro fiber brings em back to new everytime.

Key is to be PROACTIVE and clean it before it's filthy (when it gets shiny).

SoCalCTSV
02-19-13, 09:53 PM
I always wear gloves when driving.

Trapspeed
02-20-13, 12:04 AM

"Like sleeve of wizard". :p

thebigjimsho
02-20-13, 12:55 AM
I have a set of Alpinestar gloves I used in my V1 on the leather wheel. They were pointless for use in the V2. The suede is too good to use gloves on for max grip...

jb7952
02-22-13, 09:52 PM
I know I'm a little late to the thread here, but I got mine replaced under warranty.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/282379-alcantara-steering-wheel-issues-awesome-dealer.html

I'm going to buy a replacement wheel at some point, but I'm also going to try some of the cleaning tips listed here. I'm curious to see the new wheel holds up. Faux suede doesn't seem to come back the way real suede does from my experience.

And what the heck is 'SWADE'??

DCV
02-22-13, 11:32 PM
Swade is for people that flunked speling....

jb7952
02-22-13, 11:58 PM

But.. but... it's in a graphic and it's been there for years. It's gotta be something else right?

Trapspeed
02-23-13, 10:27 AM

Man, I hope that was on purpose. :)

jb7952
02-23-13, 11:17 AM
Man, I hope that was on purpose. :)

Muphry's law?

RobF300
02-23-13, 01:31 PM

do you also wear ze goggles?

http://ivanpwheaton.smugmug.com/Cars/Auto-Racing/i-fNZ3njs/0/XL/Wheaton%20Racing%20Car-XL.jpg

SoCalCTSV
02-23-13, 03:19 PM
....and a scarf!

thebigjimsho
02-25-13, 01:56 AM
I love this thread.

JFJr
02-25-13, 07:06 PM
This is pretty boring!

thebigjimsho
02-26-13, 07:21 AM
Honk Kong Phooey.

RobF300
02-26-13, 10:28 AM
im going to offer a group buy on these, when you get out of the car you can perform a MIME act

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/78065/78065,1231921736,6/stock-photo-open-hands-palms-up-in-white-gloves-isolated-on-a-black-background-23273914.jpg

DCV
02-26-13, 11:27 AM
I am a good speler, and always drive with gloves. In fact it feels odd without them.

cadillaxe
02-26-13, 01:52 PM
I am a good speler, and always drive with gloves. In fact it feels odd without them.

kinda like fcking with rubbers, isn't it? :annoyed:

RobF300
02-26-13, 03:04 PM
http://dreamphemera.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/cliff-jump.jpg

thebigjimsho
02-26-13, 04:37 PM
hmm...

RippyPartsDept
02-26-13, 05:23 PM
http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/tumblr_mir8huzrow1qhlcl5o1_500.gif