: Dealership drove my car almost 100 miles!

V locity
05-21-12, 11:39 PM
I know... I pissed all over myself when I saw this on the odo.

Bottom line, so far they have not offered the truth or anything to make up for the missing 1/2 tank of gas & the obvious "Weekend rental" of my car.

I took it in for the usual noises thing; Sunroof, wheel clicking, SC marbles (at idle) & rattling from base in door speaker. Their excuse that day was "test driving" LOL...93 miles & 1/2 tank of "test driving"!

Just looking for opinions before I make a decision to bust this dealer wide open or not...

Club Malibu
05-21-12, 11:43 PM
Total complete BS. I'm sorry dude. I hate it when other people touch my car.

Try to get those 2-piece rotors for free.

V locity
05-22-12, 12:01 AM
This aired on the news the week I took my car into the dealer & my wife made a comment about the dealer keeping my car for the weekend referencing this news report. This dude only drove the vet 61 miles. They drove mine 93!

Watch the Video!!!
http://www.corvetteforum.com/articles/c6/[VIDEO]-Parking-Lot-Owner-Takes-Customer's-Corvette-on-a-61-Mile-Joyride.php

tbauer
05-22-12, 12:19 AM
Complete BS. Still need an explanation from them along with the two piece rotors.

Ste_V_e
05-22-12, 12:23 AM
After watching that and seeing the scumbag. It made me pretty upset knowing this could happen to anyone of us.

TriTexan
05-22-12, 12:27 AM
1/2 tank of gas and they only got 93 miles? That would indicate some rather serious "test driving". I think I'd contact the dealership owner or even better, someone at the corporate offices. I'd expect the dealer to brief me ahead of time if they thought they'd need THAT much "testing".

V locity
05-22-12, 12:32 AM
1/2 tank of gas and they only got 93 miles? That would indicate some rather serious "test driving". I think I'd contact the dealership owner or even better, someone at the corporate offices. I'd expect the dealer to brief me ahead of time if they thought they'd need THAT much "testing".

Yep... Tried that route. Corp offices are hidden in a shroud of secrecy with no public phone #s, and Cadi customer service will not disclose them either.

SoonerSpeedFreak
05-22-12, 12:34 AM
That sux so bad. I would go ballistic on them. No way I would leave my car over the weekend or the night. My passinger Reccaro squeaks and rocks. Sunroof typical squeeky b.s. but I have never taken my car to any dealer ever. Sad to say I don't trust any them. It's always something when you take it in. And they always act like your a moron that you didn't buy it from them. GM needs to badly step up there service departments. Not saying there isn't good ones out there. I have just never known one.

TriTexan
05-22-12, 12:38 AM
Yep... Tried that route. Corp offices are hidden in a shroud of secrecy with no public phone #s, and Cadi customer service will not disclose them either.

Someone here on the forums probably knows. And I know Katie or someone else from Cust Svc can (or SHOULD) hook you up. There's a way in, trust me - in a previous life hacking in to "unbreakable" systems was my job. Now I only use my powers for good...

Of course, there is always litigation, or at least the threat of such. Many times just having my lawyer write a letter does the trick - yeah it cost me a few bucks, but for me it's more about getting things done and producing results - and more importantly standing up for principles - than it is about cost. If they did this to you, how many other people have they given the shaft to without them knowing?

V locity
05-22-12, 12:44 AM
If they did this to you, how many other people have they given the shaft to without them knowing?

Exactly!

amunderdog
05-22-12, 12:46 AM
You have the internet.
Start with the dealership name and dig in to who owns it.
Then on to where they are/can be contacted usually.

baabootoo
05-22-12, 01:07 AM

So your receipts show the mileage difference? I had a complaint, sent a letter, and got a call back in two days. What route exactly did you try then? Did you get a file number or file a complaint? The procedure is right in the warranty booklet. I'd suggest trying that first before dogging them out.

V locity
05-22-12, 07:43 AM
Yep, 93 miles difference on the in & out mileage on the receipt for service. Who did you send a letter to & did you ever use that dealership again?

Maxniman
05-22-12, 08:13 AM
Yep, 93 miles difference on the in & out mileage on the receipt for service. Who did you send a letter to & did you ever use that dealership again?

so who was the dealer.... Sewell??

smackdownCTSV
05-22-12, 08:17 AM
Wow, that's really ****ed up. Definitely make a stink with the service manager and work your way up the chain to the GM and owner hinting at lawsuit and video tape to the news. If nothing, then contact customer service and see what happens then. If you've had it serviced a lot, then talk to a lawyer about a lemon law claim.

GreaseMonkey
05-22-12, 09:12 AM
I would definitely confront them about it. I don't even know why that's a question.

quikag
05-22-12, 10:12 AM
I am sorry to hear this. I would have gone ape-sh**. I always take an Iphone picture of the odometer when I drop it off with the dealership in the background to prove where I took it. Then, I am very, very clear with the service rep that I do not want any miles put on the car without my specific authorization unless it's just a few miles.

I have a ZR1 and CTS-V, so you can imagine my hesitation to take either in for warranty work. At the Chevy dealer, I've bought lunch for the service advisor and a case of beer for the service tech and have mentioned a bunch of times about the mileage and no significant miles to be put on by the dealer. I've also talked to the service manager and service director. The service director is the only one that drove my car to ensure they replaced the cats/mufflers correctly. He drove it 4 miles. No problem at all. They even have me back it out of the service bay when they're finished as they're too paranoid. haha.

So, 93 miles I WOULD HAVE CRAPPED A BRICK. Literally, the police would have come to the dealership on reports of a ranting/screaming man. There is no telling what they did to the engine/transmission/brakes/tires.

At an absolute minimum, they would be buying me a full tank of gas and a new set of rear tires. Do not put up with that crap. I am very sorry to hear about this. I guess you can tell I get a bit emotional about this stuff. It's not as much the material possessions (our cars), it's the lack of respect for other people's property. The entitlement mentality of the person who drove your car 93 miles is absolutely unacceptable. You paid very good money for your '11 V and for that assmonkey to put 93 miles on it as if it were their own is utterly unacceptable. The dealership should be held accountable as there should be controls and procedures in place to prevent that amount of mileage to be put on a customer's car without their authorization.

Katie, I hope you can get this elevated quick as this is a black eye on Cadillac to permit their dealers to do crap like this and deny culpability. The dealership needs to make it right and either reprimand or fire the employee responsible.

cdog533
05-22-12, 11:25 AM
"I took it in for the usual noises thing; Sunroof, wheel clicking, SC marbles (at idle) & rattling from base in door speaker."

You violated three of THE RULES. #1 you left the car, #3 this is stuff they can't/won't fix worth a damn and #5 you assumed they are competent.

See THE RULES OF DEALERSHIPS from my previous post:

People keep forgetting the rules...

RULE NUMBER ONE: ALWAYS stay with the car. Always. For dealer work, tires, etc. ALWAYS STAY WITH THE CAR.

RULE NUMBER TWO: NEVER let them wash the car. NEVER EVER. NEVER.

RULE NUMBER THREE: DON'T go in for something you can fix yourself or something minor. JUST DON'T. They will mess it up worse. Take your time and fix it yourself.

RULE NUMBER FOUR: ALWAYS establish with a tire shop that the rims are perfect when you get there, before work begins. Have him write 'All rims in perfect condition' on the ticket. ALWAYS bring the car in with spotlessly clean rims. This way, you will have something to fall back on when they scratch them. They always scratch them.

RULE NUMBER FIVE: NEVER assume anyone is competent at their job or has any idea what they are talking about. This goes double for service managers. EVERYONE IS BASICALLY IMCOMPETENT and just looking to get finished as quickly as possible. So, you need to recognize this. NEVER assume anyone at any car place knows more than you and NEVER trust their judgement.

V locity
05-22-12, 11:46 AM
Is there a way to read, from the car's computer or onstar, where/what/how it has been driven?

Gary Wells
05-22-12, 12:41 PM
Hate to even ask, but what's the G-meter look like.
Personally, I have 2 cars, a very pristine 31K mile '87 turbo Buick and a 14K mile '09 CTS-V.
I never leave either car anywhere but I wait in all cases.
I have had great success with 2 specific dealerships in Long Beach & / or Signal Hill, Republik of kali.
Boulevard Buick and Boulevard Cadillac.
Even though they are great dealerships with above average customer service / attitudes, I still never leave my Buick or Cad anywhere.
I highly recommend both for service.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-22-12, 12:58 PM
Hi again V locity,

I'm extremely sorry to hear about your frustration! While I wasn't able to provide you with the corporate information, I'm definitely happy to help in other ways regarding this situation. I'm always available if you would like to proceed with formal documentation of the concern and a follow-up call to the dealership. So, please do feel free to private message me again or call our Customer Assistance Center (800-458-8006, hours Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET; Closed Sunday) if you'd like to explore those options!

Regarding your OnStar question, OnStar does not continuously or routinely monitor, update or otherwise track the location of OnStar-equipped cars. OnStar only knows the location of a car when a user initiates a request for service, there is an Air Bag Deployment, an Advanced Automatic Crash Notification occurs, your OnStar equipment calls OnStar with data updates or when required to locate a car by a valid court order in criminal procedures, or under urgent circumstances.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Xaqtly
05-22-12, 01:24 PM
Yeah almost 100 miles is pretty ridiculous. The techs at my dealer recently had to drive my car to identify a clicking sound, and they still couldn't do it. But they only drive it 2 miles the first day, and 5 miles the second day. Completely within the boundaries of what's required, IMO. And I was checking up on it with the OnStar app on my phone. If they had driven it 100 miles I would have blown a gasket.

Airfoto
05-22-12, 02:53 PM
TOTAL BS - I never leave my car when it's at the dealer - I tell them straight up that if it has to be driven I"LL DO IT - No one else! Who knows the car better then - YOU? So put the mech in the passenger seat and drive the car on the test run - it helps in a number of ways - you are satisfied that work has been done on your car and you will know if any issues was corrected not the mech! I'll stand there and talk to the mechinic that's working on it, just to get new info or just find out how much they know! You need to control them not them taking total advantage of you - it's your car you know all the noises it makes not them - protect it!

I've heard to many horror stories on this same matter - it's not just Cadillac's - they do it to Corvettes as well, no one has driven my C6 Z06 other then me - just some dis-honest people working at dealerships.

V locity
05-22-12, 08:24 PM
Guys, thanks for all the advice from your experience. Very good points & a very valuable lesson learned here. I am a very trusting individual & have lived life giving everyone the chance to earn trust!

Katie, while I truly appreciate your efforts, I believe this issue needed to be handled internally to this corporation. I understand this is a franchise type arrangement & the dealer runs the show. I do think it's pusillanimous of Cadillac though to condone this behavior by assisting the dealer's shroud of corporate shadowing (Katie, no reflection to you at all!). So, if the dealer company chooses to address their "customers" in the way I've experienced it so far, "my impression" is that they have a greater interest in protecting their employees rather than their integrity or customer service. While all are great company values, the order is backwards IMHO. I'm sure if this behavior continues, they will get their 5 minutes of fame just as the parking lot owner in Florida did.

The service dept. at the unnamed dealer did talk to me today. While they did not have a believable story for the mileage, they are trying to make me "feel" better. I will give them credit for that & still give them a chance to correct the apparent wrong from one or more of their employees. As a business owner myself, I would at least want that chance if one of my employees did a wrong to someone else! I'm frankly surprised the General Manager, whom I left a detailed voice mail for, choose to remain silent through this whole matter.

So here is my take on this, even though it's not over:

* DO NOT trust your Cadillac dealer.
* DO NOT leave your car with them if you don't want this to happen to you.
* There are obviously no protections for the customer in place & Cadillac did not assist me to make contact directly to the upper management or ownership of the corporation that owns this dealership. This matter is between myself & the company that owns this Cadillac franchise.
* Invest in a GPS tracking system for your 70-100K ride & hide it well, regardless of your intent to leave your car at the dealer.
* When I replace my Denali-XL, it will not be with the Escalade I've been looking at.

I'll update everyone as the saga plays out... V

smackdownCTSV
05-22-12, 08:50 PM
How did they make you feel better?

V locity
05-22-12, 09:14 PM
How did they make you feel better?

They are replacing the driver's side door panel, which still has an annoying rattle in it from certain base tone frequencies (I'm guessing they didn't test drive it enough to find out it still rattled from playing the stereo). They ordered it & when it comes in, I will accompany the car for it's replacement (about 45 minutes they say). Upon the work being completed, I will depart with the car. What a PITA.

V locity
05-23-12, 12:05 AM
Anyone have one of these?

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/car-gps-data-logger-tracking.html

Looks easy to hide & no monthly fees!

V locity
05-23-12, 12:17 AM
Most tracking systems have a feature if the power is cut or tampered with it alerts you. Hiding it will only prove that it occurred. I would leave it in plain sight and alert them of it. They would not dare do this if they knew you were tracking them.

Good point!

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-23-12, 08:57 AM
V locity, I appreciate your clarification and your updates. My offer to assist remains open in case you change your mind, and I will keep my eye on this thread to see how your situation progresses.

I hope you're able to find a satisfactory resolution soon,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

peso611
05-23-12, 10:30 AM
That is just piss poor service. I was upset when I took my car in for the clicking wheel and they had driven it for 6 miles. You don't have to leave the parking lot to diagnose the wheel clicking. Guess what two days later clicking noise back again. I don't like anyone driving my car dealer, valet, wife anyone. Sorry for your pain. I know how you must feel.

quikag
05-23-12, 11:39 AM
V locity,

You are a more patient and understanding man than me. Good luck.

V locity
05-24-12, 06:54 AM
Guys,

They are Joy riding our cars!!! Get a GPS tracker for your car if you take it anywhere. Even if you "trust" your dealer!!! Really!!!

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/car-gps-data-logger-tracking.html

As a group, there is allot of talent & brains here! Once you have real proof, WE can root the car thieves out of the dealerships if the companies won't! Nothing like the police showing up with a GPS tracker and a news reporter to make management actually address the issue!!!

DarkStar76
05-24-12, 01:41 PM
I'd send them an invoice.

- 1 Day Car Rental : $700.00
- Fuel Charge: $70.00
- Total Due: $770.00
- Payment due upon receipt.
- 5% late fee assessed each week balance is not paid in full.
- 3rd party collection services utilized for overdue balances.

Send their finance department a statement every week showing a 5% increase in total due.
When they've had enough, tell them you'll settle for new brake rotors, and explanation, and an apology from the clown who took your car on a joyride. If worst comes to worst, the judge will love your creativity.

RippyPartsDept
05-24-12, 03:58 PM
at the VERY LEAST they should have replaced the gas that they used

V locity
05-24-12, 05:41 PM
Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLzOF_ZH1j8&feature=player_embedded

V locity
05-26-12, 07:42 AM
Found the solution...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geynA-JYDHE&feature=related

rbanshee1
05-26-12, 08:44 AM
I know... I pissed all over myself when I saw this on the odo.

Bottom line, so far they have not offered the truth or anything to make up for the missing 1/2 tank of gas & the obvious "Weekend rental" of my car.

I took it in for the usual noises thing; Sunroof, wheel clicking, SC marbles (at idle) & rattling from base in door speaker. Their excuse that day was "test driving" LOL...93 miles & 1/2 tank of "test driving"!

Just looking for opinions before I make a decision to bust this dealer wide open or not...

Same crap just happened to me beginning of the month with a hired transportation company ,except my car also had dings and dents,I know exactly how you feel,it sucks you can't even trust your local dealership.keep us all posted

----------

Is there a way to read, from the car's computer or onstar, where/what/how it has been driven?

On star will not help

bobrules
05-26-12, 10:16 AM
Start beating the war drums for factory valet mode. My buddy has an 09' Jaguar XF and he just types in a 4-5 digit alphanumeric code to enable/disable valet mode, the car will not accelerate over 25mph while in valet mode. No unauthorized joy rides by parking valets or the service dept.

RogersV
05-26-12, 10:51 AM
V locity: It's amazing that with proof in writing concerning the In & Out mileage (nothing slanderous) that 90+ miles were put on your V, and all the complaining you're doing, you still protect the Cadillac dealer by not listing its name. :hmm: :hmm: No wonder you can't get any satisfaction.

BWhite58
05-26-12, 12:18 PM
V locity: It's amazing that with proof in writing concerning the In & Out mileage (nothing slanderous) that 90+ miles were put on your V, and all the complaining you're doing, you still protect the Cadillac dealer by not listing its name. :hmm: :hmm: No wonder you can't get any satisfaction.
This

Smokin_Cache
05-26-12, 12:25 PM
I carry a tread depth gauge in the console. I does get some attention when you get out of the car and measure all tire tread depths in front of everyone at the dealer when you are dropping the car off. I feel ya V locity. They have not driven my like yours, but getting issues resolved can't seem to happen on a single trip.

V locity
05-26-12, 12:26 PM
Roger,

Believe me, I've thought about that. But help me understand how that will solve what has happened?

Here is the de ID'd front page of my RO:

nynd
05-26-12, 02:36 PM
Unacceptable - simple. Forget the dealership and elevate to GM Customer Service for a better response. Clicking noise doesn't require 100 miles to verify.

JOEYCTS-V
05-26-12, 02:39 PM
I carry a tread depth gauge in the console. I does get some attention when you get out of the car and measure all tire tread depths in front of everyone at the dealer when you are dropping the car off.

Are you for real? NOW I've heard it all!

Smokin_Cache
05-26-12, 02:50 PM
I am for real. One good burn out costs about 1/32 of wear. I can promise you if you have them document the tread depth. There will be no burnouts in your car. What really happens to your car at a dealer during a two stay at the dealership? I have friends that have worked many years as service techs. I hear the stories. Hell just watch the video in this thread. How many 18 years olds work at dealerships and service centers as gophers.

wcryan
05-26-12, 03:36 PM
My brother used to work at a chevy dealership. The guy in the partion next to him took out a brand new zo6 with less than 500 miles on it and totalled it. Funny how there was burnout tracks all the way from the stoplight to where he crashed

They dont care. They are covered. (not so much in that case though)

V locity
05-26-12, 03:57 PM
Unacceptable - simple. Forget the dealership and elevate to GM Customer Service for a better response. Clicking noise doesn't require 100 miles to verify.

What can they do. Cadi customer service knows what is going on & know who the parties are...

TriTexan
05-26-12, 09:31 PM
I think the tread depth trick is pretty slick. I don't think I'd measure it in front of anyone - better to get the GPS data, the tread depth, and all other evidence and put whoever does this crap out of a job or get them criminally charged. Even better, go after their management...only when you put up a stand does this stop.

nynd
05-26-12, 11:08 PM
I'd just bring more attention to it so they think twice the next time. But understood, one complaint is just one complaint, so who knows how these guys run the dealership.

V locity
05-26-12, 11:35 PM
Agree!

On the defense side of things (doesn't that just sound absurd!) I've had no luck locating a Trunk Monkey, but the upside is that the GPS tracker is on it's way.

I hope y'all can gain the advantage from my experience here... & get a GPS tracker for your car too, before this happens to you.

RippyPartsDept
05-28-12, 09:01 AM
What can they do. Cadi customer service knows what is going on & know who the parties are...

They can pay you for the gas used. They can punish your dealer financially. There's many things that they can do.