: Floor mats and gas pedal travel issues?

TriTexan
05-22-12, 12:28 AM
Just got my new Lloyd's floor mats this past weekend. They look great - thanks to all members who recommended them. Today on the way home, I floored it getting onto the freeway (just for fun of course!). It FELT like the gas pedal might be hitting the mats...that is, it felt a little soft and squishy at full throttle.

I looked at it closely tonight with the mat removed and there is very little clearance from the end of the pedal and the floor in the footwell. With ANY mat installed, it looks to me like it might hamper full pedal travel. Gas pedals I have seen before have a hinge or pivot point on them, but this one doesn't appear to. With the new mats installed and just using my hand, it's pretty clear the very tip/end of the pedal hits the mats before full travel is reached.

Has anyone noticed this, either with the stock mats or any aftermarket replacements? It looks like just a 1/4 to 3/8ths of an inch more clearance would be enough, but I can't readily see a way to adjust the pedal. It's not a big deal IMO, but any comments would be appreciated.

buddyg
05-22-12, 09:25 AM
Yeah I got the weathertech mats and mashed the gas, pedal stuck under floor mat and I was going full throttle. Had to use my toes to lift the throttle up, quit scary. Took the drivers mat out and put the stock one back in.

js615
05-22-12, 04:31 PM
I too have the Lloyd mats - the heavy pile ones at that and I've never had any problems with throttle sticking since owning the car. WRT full pedal travel: maybe I have a heavier foot than you, 'cause I've never felt any issues.

JFJr
05-22-12, 05:17 PM
I too have the Lloyd mats - the heavy pile ones at that and I've never had any problems with throttle sticking since owning the car. WRT full pedal travel: maybe I have a heavier foot than you, 'cause I've never felt any issues.I have those thick mats, too. The difference may be that the driver's mat doesn't slide forward and become a problem because of the grommet latch at the left rear.

Jud

bbang
05-22-12, 08:22 PM
what mats did u get. someone had mentioned on an earlier thread that the velourtex were the way to go, and that ebony matched the oem caret color pretty well. any comments

TriTexan
05-22-12, 09:03 PM
what mats did u get. someone had mentioned on an earlier thread that the velourtex were the way to go, and that ebony matched the oem caret color pretty well. any comments

I got the TruBerber style from Lloyds - I wanted the look and durability of the berber style carpeting. As for matching the oem carpet, they don't, but I like the contrast they provide. I also have the light grey interior, but the carpet is a charcoal and the dash is black even with the light seats.

The berber also has multi-colored yarns - you may or may not like that. Sorry for the cell-phone quality pics - was in a bit of a hurry.

Haze
05-22-12, 09:53 PM
I got a set of cocoa mats. Man, that was a huge mistake. The pedal got stuck more than once WOT, and I had to reach down with my hand and pull them out with the clutch depressed, while the car revved to hell. I threw them out.

baabootoo
05-22-12, 09:56 PM
Anyone remember the problems that Toyotas had with certain floor mats??????

bbang
05-22-12, 10:47 PM
yea...they doubled as the cruise control!!!