: Potential new 05 owner with questions

Deanjet
05-21-12, 06:56 PM
Greetings everyone,

I am going to look at a 2005 CTS-V on Thursday, stock with 99,000 miles on it. I have never owned, or driven, a CTS-V before. Is there a page in this forum that would offer advice for what to look for when I view and test drive the car? I hear the read differential on the 05's is a problem part.

Also, what fuel mileage can I expect driving around town in heavy city traffic on a daily bases. Also, how smooth is the drive? I know it will not be a soft as a typical Cadillac, but will it jar my kidneys over every bump? This will be my daily driver, only enough room for one car in addition to my wife's car. I just bought a 2011 Toyota RAV4 6 months ago and hate it, it has no soul... I need a family car that will put a smile on my face every time I drive it; I think the CTS-V might be what I am looking for. PLEASE chime in if this is not that type of car.

Thank you kindly for any advise you can give.

danrob0123
05-21-12, 07:47 PM
At 99k miles, there is a high chance that many bushings/mounts on the car are shot, if they have not been replaced before. When taking it for a test drive, listen very carefully to any clunks in the drivetrain/suspension, and funny noises or vibrations. I bought my '04 with 73k miles and am now at 85k 2 years later. When I got the car it drove like crap, clunks, vibrations everywhere. Since then I have replaced the motor mounts, trans mount, diff bushing, lowered the car, done some exhaust work, flushed all my fluids, short shifter, and now I am in the process of installing my ls7 clutch. The car drives like new again after replacing all these small things, and I love it. For gas mileage you can expect 12-13 around town in some traffic (depending on how you drive It could be more/less). Pretty pitiful but it does pretty well on the highway, about 24. All in all I love my V it's a great car but it just needs a few things to make it perfect. It's a bad ass sports car in a tuxedo and that's why I love it. Good luck

danrob0123
05-21-12, 07:53 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/217910-what-watch-when-buying-used-cts.html

Check this out too

rand49er
05-21-12, 08:28 PM
If you could get someone on this forum to go with you to look at and drive the car, it would be worth a bunch.

My car is nearly 7-1/2 years old with 62k miles and though it's had the diff bushing replaced, it didn't absolutely have to have it. No other bushings have been replaced on mine ... they're just fine. Depends on the car, I suppose. Danrob's fuel economy estimates are spot on. Keep the revs down, coast to stop lights, and be careful on the throttle, and you could beat his city figure by maybe a couple of MPG.

Yes, the differential can start whining. If you hear it at 45-50 MPH under very slight acceleration, then view it as a bargaining point in your negotiations. If it's been upgraded, ignore the whine and learn to live with it.

As for putting a smile on your face, you'll be getting up at 3 am just to open the door to the garage and flicking on the light just to gaze at it for a few moments before going back to have some sweet dreams.

Deanjet
05-21-12, 09:50 PM
This is the Seller's Description and Comments;

2005 Caddilac CTS-V, Non-smoker. Highway miles. K&N air filter, Corsa exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors. Many dealer installed new parts: clutch, flywheel, slave cyl, front door seals, V badges, motor and trans mounts, belts, dealer rebuilt trans. Stock motor. Car is in great shape. Everything works. Just could use the headlights restored.

There was another one, but $10K more and it would be a nightmare to fix when it breaks down:

SUPERCHARGED 2005 Caddilac CTS-V over 550 HORSE POWER. Fully Loaded. Brand NEW CUSTOM CLUTCH & REAR END DIFFERENTIAL. EVERY performance modification possible. Over $15,000 in modifications Professionally installed to this vehicle 40,000 miles ago by vengance racing (venganceRD.com). Looks and Runs Great I get compliments on this vehicle daily. Truly a must See. Car has 90,000 miles on it but enginge was professionally overhauled and modified has only 40,000 miles on it. Always Garage kept Meticulously maintained. Please call Joe for More details. 561-504-5520 MODIFICATIONS INCLUDE: Magnuson MP112 Intercooled Supercharger Unit. VRX2 Custom Blower Camshaft. TEA .650 Lift Dual Gold Springs. COMP 7.400 Hardened Push Rods. NKG TR6 Spark Plugs. Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust System. K&N Cold Air Intake. Ls2 Timing Chain Melling High Volume Oil pump. Textralia 0Z700 Series Clutch Kit. Katech Billet Spacer. GM Slave Cylinder. Ported Throttle Body. Ground Control Coil Overs. BRM Anti Wheel Hop Bar. Brembo Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors. Vengance Racing Custom Programming.

CTSV_510
05-22-12, 09:25 AM
This is the Seller's Description and Comments;

2005 Caddilac CTS-V, Non-smoker. Highway miles. K&N air filter, Corsa exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors. Many dealer installed new parts: clutch, flywheel, slave cyl, front door seals, V badges, motor and trans mounts, belts, dealer rebuilt trans. Stock motor. Car is in great shape. Everything works. Just could use the headlights restored.

There was another one, but $10K more and it would be a nightmare to fix when it breaks down:

SUPERCHARGED 2005 Caddilac CTS-V over 550 HORSE POWER. Fully Loaded. Brand NEW CUSTOM CLUTCH & REAR END DIFFERENTIAL.

The first one looks like it has had a lot of things addressed already that you shouldn't have to worry about for a while, if ever.

Why would the second one be a nightmare to fix? I don't know what the price is but Vengeance Racing has a good rep and the mods sounds just right. Don't be scared by the supercharger, they're not complicated and are actually quite reliable. It does depends on whether you want a badass caddy or just a nice V though.

rand49er
05-22-12, 10:09 AM
If you drove that second one, you'd smile so wide the corners of your mouth would meet on the back of your head.

PISNUOFF
05-22-12, 12:22 PM
The only bad thing about the second one is the clutch is very noisy.....and who the hell quotes flywheel Hp. Lol

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-22-12, 01:20 PM
Happy you're considering a '05 V, Deanjet! If you have any questions while car shopping, don't hesitate to contact me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com. For details like estimated fuel economy and exciting features, check out http://archives.media.gm.com/division/2005_prodinfo/cadillac/ctsv/index.html!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Deanjet
05-22-12, 04:57 PM
[/COLOR]
The only bad thing about the second one is the clutch is very noisy.....and who the hell quotes flywheel Hp. Lol

Noisy clutch, sign of a true beast! I am also into motorcycles, I have always loved the sound of Ducati's open air dry clutches. Most people think the bike is broken when they hear the multi-plate clutch packs banging around in the breeze when the clutch is pulled in, to me it is music to my ears.

odla
05-23-12, 06:19 AM
Are these cars at a dealer?

PISNUOFF
05-23-12, 10:04 AM
I've only driven one V with the Textrazila twin and it would screech when taking off. Textrazilworks timer service would not help the owner at all. My RPS twin doesn't do that but it makes a slight noise when accelerating. I've had two LS9 twins and they were both quiet as church mice, but didn't last long due to the strapped pressure plate.

If you drive the Maggie'd one an it makes noise when taking off, it's the clutch. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying it.

Deanjet
05-23-12, 04:44 PM
Both are private owners in South Florida. If I buy one, it will be the one with the stock motor. Otherwise I will wait and try to find an 09.

Are these cars at a dealer?

JDB
05-23-12, 09:56 PM
Anyone who questions MPG as part of why they're thinking about a V shouldn't buy one. You will do your best to get 14-17 off the highway and then go WTF am I doing? I bought a 400hp car....wwweeeeeeeeeee .....WOT......wwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee........ then really average 12-13 for awhile. Then, you try to be good again and hit a highway or two to average 23-26 there and think...boy, I saved a lot of gas back there... wwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee again.

c230kompw
05-24-12, 10:29 AM
Anyone who questions MPG as part of why they're thinking about a V shouldn't buy one. You will do your best to get 14-17 off the highway and then go WTF am I doing? I bought a 400hp car....wwweeeeeeeeeee .....WOT......wwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee........ then really average 12-13 for awhile. Then, you try to be good again and hit a highway or two to average 23-26 there and think...boy, I saved a lot of gas back there... wwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee again.

This could not be more true.

FoD
05-24-12, 10:34 AM
The instantaneous MPG function is evil. 28 MPG in 6th cruising at 70MPH...slow ass in front of you, pop into 4th, pass him, MPG = 4! They get better mileage then the new ones. :p

Deanjet
05-24-12, 12:26 PM
I am a little worried about the gas mileage, I only get 15 mpg in my RAV4 because I drive it WFO all the time in town.... But, then again I did drive a Ford Expedition for 11 years straight and it always got around 11 to 12 mpg in town.

Brad1970
05-24-12, 04:58 PM
I've got an 05' with 57,000 miles, I just replaced the rear diff bushings, needs brake pads now. I get 16 to 17 in the city & driving around 70 I get 26/27mpgs on the freeway not a guesstimate on those numbers either I track that stuff. Mine is also up for sale just sayin...

Deanjet
05-24-12, 11:22 PM
Brad, I test drove the 05 today with 100,000 miles on it, and it was a little to high mileage for me. I am going to keep looking for a CTS-V, but I would like to find one in the lower half of Florida since I live just above Miami.

I've got an 05' with 57,000 miles, I just replaced the rear diff bushings, needs brake pads now. I get 16 to 17 in the city & driving around 70 I get 26/27mpgs on the freeway not a guesstimate on those numbers either I track that stuff. Mine is also up for sale just sayin...

sgtdestruction
05-25-12, 08:26 PM

:histeric:....love it...:thumbsup: