: Underhood plastic panels around engine

Eldo1953
05-21-12, 07:27 PM
Hi I need both left and right panels for beside the engine for a 2005 V6. Does anybody have some they don't want?? Or at least know the part number for these?92379

eatyoursandwich
05-21-12, 07:42 PM
The panels are like $20 from the dealer. Come on man.

Ludacrisvp
05-22-12, 05:14 AM
You assume he checked at the dealer. I can also assume that most people would rather look around first before going to the dealer as we expect the "Cadillac tax" to be applied to these simple components as well.

KRSTS
05-22-12, 12:10 PM
Sometimes the only place you can get a part is from a dealer or a scrap yard, and a dealer may be more convenient and worth the extra$.

eatyoursandwich
05-22-12, 12:36 PM
Gotta check with the dealer first to at least get a frame of reference on cost and how much you may save by buying elsewhere.

Eldo1953
05-22-12, 06:55 PM
The panels are like $20 from the dealer. Come on man.

Look man these are not $20 at my dealer. I am in Canada everything is 3x as much. I need the part # so I can find the cheapest price online or score a set off someone you dosn't want to use them.

KRSTS
05-22-12, 08:16 PM
Look man these are not $20 at my dealer. I am in Canada everything is 3x as much. I need the part # so I can find the cheapest price online or score a set off someone you dosn't want to use them.
3X? Why? I thought the US and Canadian dollar are at about par?

EChas3
05-22-12, 10:25 PM
Check with Chris at Rippy's. He might be willing to ship to Canada.

malatu
05-23-12, 12:38 AM
So how much time to you spend looking for the best price on an alignment?

eatyoursandwich
05-23-12, 12:50 AM

I didn't know the Canadian exchange rate was 3:1, (it's not) but let's say it is. Okay, they're $60 for the big piece, others are around $20 - $40 even with your imaginary exchange rate. From the pretty useless pictures, it looks like you are only missing 3 pieces.

supratter
05-23-12, 01:00 PM
I didn't know the Canadian exchange rate was 3:1, (it's not) but let's say it is. Okay, they're $60 for the big piece, others are around $20 - $40 even with your imaginary exchange rate. From the pretty useless pictures, it looks like you are only missing 3 pieces.

Really? Because on gmpartsdirect.com the big side pieces are $83 each with an MSRP of 135, the small middle one is about $81 with an MSRP of 133, so I wonder where your imaginary $20 dollar pieces from the dealership come from? .. shut, the clips to hold these pieces in place are each $3 after discounts.

malatu
05-23-12, 03:08 PM
Try here. http://car-part.com/

eatyoursandwich
05-23-12, 04:16 PM
Really? Because on gmpartsdirect.com the big side pieces are $83 each with an MSRP of 135, the small middle one is about $81 with an MSRP of 133, so I wonder where your imaginary $20 dollar pieces from the dealership come from? .. shut, the clips to hold these pieces in place are each $3 after discounts.

Lol, nice ninja account.

Got quoted quite a bit less than that from the dealer, but found both pieces at a local pick-n-pull, non-damaged for $42 picked up.

supratter
05-23-12, 04:46 PM
Not a ninja account at all man, I'm actually in Dallas, TX, is just that I was looking for the same pieces a couple weeks ago, and brand new from the dealership where nowhere close to 20 a pop.

Lucky enough for me I was able to find them for cheap at a salvage yard as well

erichthecatt
05-25-12, 02:52 PM
When I purchased my 10 sts, the two side plastic panels were missing. Curious, and called the dealer today. The panels run $148.50 each! I think i'll live without them.

Eldo1953
05-27-12, 11:40 PM
When I purchased my 10 sts, the two side plastic panels were missing. Curious, and called the dealer today. The panels run $148.50 each! I think i'll live without them.

^This.

This is why I started this thread. Did you happen to get the part numbers?

Ludacrisvp
05-28-12, 02:03 AM
I wonder if they were one of the small feature removals that happens to cars as they get older in model years to cut costs.
Or if the car was serviced somewhere and they neglected to put them back on the car.

malatu
05-28-12, 09:05 AM
Since the original post was about a 2005, the answer is no.

That's interesting concept. Can you give an examples of small features that have been removed to save costs as a particular model got older?

Ludacrisvp
05-28-12, 11:24 AM
Since the original post was about a 2005, the answer is no.
That's interesting concept. Can you give an examples of small features that have been removed to save costs as a particular model got older?
Good point, missed the year, in that case its very likely that either a service department neglected to put them back on or maybe a shortage of parts during an early production run?

Examples:
99 Grand AM GT had tire pressure monitoring system, removed 2000 - 2005 models
also had twin post body color matched mirrors, in 2003 GM replaced them with unpainted Alero mirrors.
Glove box lock removed in 03+
Passenger door keyhole removed 03+
trunk keyhole removed 04?+
added optional ram air hood and spoiler package SC/T styling package

2004+ Mont Carlo
removed door bumper guards
removed glove box lock
removed gear shift indicator from center console
removed pen holder from center console
passenger door keyhole removed
trunk keyhole removed
some optional wheel combinations eliminated
added optional supercharger to SS model

These are just off the top of my head type responses some of the year changes may not be accurate but they were de-featured
and some other things added too

malatu
05-28-12, 12:08 PM
Does anyone know of any examples of items removed from the 2005+ STS's? I own a 2006 and have never driven in a newer model, so I wouldn't know.

EChas3
05-31-12, 11:41 PM
Rain Sense Wipers.

Ludacrisvp
06-01-12, 12:43 AM
When did those go? My 08 has them.

EChas3
06-01-12, 08:51 PM
I think it was just one year (post bankruptcy) but it was across the whole GM line.

KRSTS
06-02-12, 04:17 PM
I was told they did away with them because too many people were going thru car washes with them active and destroying the wipers. Another case of dumbing down to the great unwashed masses. I have them and they are one of my favorite features.