: Dealer says nothing is wrong; I do NOT agree ??? any advice?

SevillianSTS
05-21-12, 11:03 AM
The #1 Cadillac tech at my dealer says he lifted the motor and can not find anything wrong with these mounts.
Says they use hydraulic mounts in all kinds of cars and he has only changed a couple in the 20+ years working on cars.
I questioned the fluid stains on the sides a few times. They said it was just a powder that wipes right off :rant2:
He also said since it is still buldged out in the middle that means there is fluid in there.
He says he does not want to get in trouble from GM for replacing parts that are not bad.
I asked about how much it would cost if I had them replace the mounts and he said $500 and it is a 4.6 hour job, (something about a speical way of lifing the engine and lowering something on the bottom)
I'd like to tell them ya go ahead and change them; and if anything IS wrong with them, "warranty" if not, "i'll pay"
What do you guys think ???

Also, they say the harmonic balancer is perfectly normal **video posted below in slow motion
Says it has to be squealing / squeeking for it to be considered bad. I'll drive it as is... but I don't want it to harm anything else (bearings, etc...)

Is there somebody from Cadillac I should call and show these pictures to ?

How would you guys handle this ?

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/SevillianSTS/IMG_0303.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/SevillianSTS/IMG_0297.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/SevillianSTS/IMG_0305.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd3waoHGkWg

wcryan
05-21-12, 11:31 AM
You have a leaky motormount. And it looks like it could be coming from the top. looks to be hidden from the heat shield you have on top of it

My harmonic balancer was replaced due to wobble. Wobble to me ='s a bad balance. usually something that balances something else shouldnt wobble. To me I would think it wouldnt be balancing anything if it was wobbling around

and just to clarify, my balancer looked exacly like that. They probably dont wana do it because it is a labor intensive job. (by their book)

SevillianSTS
05-21-12, 11:35 AM
Could someone post a picture of a stock mount that has failed "on a stock, or near stock car"
** picture of mount off the car.

wcryan
05-21-12, 11:44 AM
I dont have any. But that's the yellowish fluid that always come out when the mount fails. Google it and you could find some. Ive seen a couple threads

CancerJCC
05-21-12, 11:54 AM
I'd try another dealer. That or maybe Katie or Breane will help you out with a post...:bigroll:

mstrjon32
05-21-12, 12:01 PM
FWIW, When I bought my V the balancer was wobbling more than yours is and 25K miles later I still haven't replaced it and it hasn't given me any trouble.

*knocks on wood*

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-21-12, 12:40 PM
SevillianSTS,

If you would like for us to get a service request set up through our department and contact your dealership for you to look into this further, we'd be happy to do so. Please send us a private message with your name, phone, and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Kind regards,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

PISNUOFF
05-21-12, 02:28 PM
The top portion of the mount tears away from the bottom. Sometimes it tears along the side like below and sometimes it doesn't and you can't 'see' any damage until its removed.

Also, this one was not leaking but it was torn pretty bad.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l586/bruckde/353be3c2.jpg

SevillianSTS
05-22-12, 11:49 PM
anyone else got a picture that's not torn quite so bad, I just wanted to show the dealer what mine potentially looks like after its been off the car.

CadzillaTN
05-23-12, 01:25 AM
I'd like to tell them ya go ahead and change them; and if anything IS wrong with them, "warranty" if not, "i'll pay"

This. You can't jack the engine up enough to get a finger up there and really feel if its ripped without undoing some bolts. I would watch them pull them out and inspect yourself. Typical GM dealer bs, afraid to go out on a limb for the customer.

dangrus
05-23-12, 11:13 PM
Here you go.

SevillianSTS
05-24-12, 10:48 AM
Thanks,
Were those leaking fluid also ? I don't know if they are completely filled with fluid, or if the fluid is just within a certain section for the mount.

Is it possible that all the fluid has leaked out, or been pushed out, or is there most likely still a lot in there; because they made a big deal about how I would see large amounts of fluid on the floor if these "failed".

OneFast V
05-24-12, 11:08 AM
Just know that once they crack the fluid inside will dry up and becomes "dust" like. that's what happened to mine. That brown dust you see is what was once fluid inside the mounts.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v/328574d1322837413-new-product-umi-performance-2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-motor-mounts-imag0151.jpg

SevillianSTS
05-24-12, 11:36 AM
Awesome,

He said: "the stuff on the side of the mounts is just powder that wipes right off with your finger"

Seems like the ducks keep lining up in favor of me having bad mounts; that they say are just fine.

9t8z28
05-24-12, 01:45 PM
I just wanted to say that I think it is awesome that you are contributing to this forum!

SevillianSTS,

If you would like for us to get a service request set up through our department and contact your dealership for you to look into this further, we'd be happy to do so. Please send us a private message with your name, phone, and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Kind regards,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

SevillianSTS
05-24-12, 06:11 PM
Here are two more videos, let me know what you guys think.
I know with the stock mounts it is normal for the motor to jump some, but is this amount of jump normal ?
I hear a noise too as the motor torques, which I am sure is the mount jolting.
And you can see it shake as I shut it off also, which the dealer told me "they all do that"

I also asked them if they lifted the motor to check the mounts and he said no; said "who is going to pay me to lift the motor"

2nd video, you can hear the difference in the smooth pulley vs the wobbling harmonic balancer, first pulley sounds consistent, while the balancer sounds almost like ticking as it hits the yardstick.
I did this for the service manager and he was actually kinda speechless afterwards; (Katie) he said to have you call him.

http://youtu.be/dlufUmkFsCQ

http://youtu.be/2qgziZ6tjfE

OneFast V
05-24-12, 06:24 PM
call another dealer or goto another dealer....

dangrus
05-24-12, 08:28 PM
Mine had the normal tan stains all over the oil pan and crossmember. As soon as I turned them upside down, they dumped fluid everywhere so they still had 8oz or so left in them. When I jacked up my engine, the mounts would lift up an inch or so when they seperated. I don't think a good mount will "expand" an inch.

SevillianSTS
05-24-12, 11:05 PM
Nevermind the motor mount issue, think I figured it out :mad: let them deny this one; I brought it home and drove up on ramps and slightly lifted the motor and look what I found.
Now I get to drive back to the dealer and give them one hell of a I TOLD YOU SO

now on to the Harmonic Balancer.....

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i424/SevillianSTS/IMG_0373.jpg

CadzillaTN
05-25-12, 12:44 AM
We knew this already. You are negotiating with an incompetent dealership.

SevillianSTS
05-25-12, 08:40 AM
We knew this already. You are negotiating with an incompetent dealership.

I was with you guys 100% Thanks again for all the help and support

Aurora40
05-26-12, 01:44 PM
Is there another dealership you can go to? I mean, do you really want them doing the work, warranty or not?
"who is going to pay me to lift the motor" That is not the calling card of someone who cares about doing a quality job. Will this guy be questioning each step in the proper replacement, wondering if someone is really paying him to do that step correctly?

SevillianSTS
05-26-12, 10:52 PM
Is there another dealership you can go to? I mean, do you really want them doing the work, warranty or not? That is not the calling card of someone who cares about doing a quality job. Will this guy be questioning each step in the proper replacement, wondering if someone is really paying him to do that step correctly?

I'm not sure what it is... but I do trust their head Cadillac guy does good work, he's been around for quite a while;
they just act like everyone on the internet are idiots. I got after them about that too: I said... "how do you guys do with I told you so's... and apologies, because I don't appreciate you acting like we are all idionts... meanwhile... I diagnosed my mounts on my garage floor while you couldn't on a lift" and then showed them the picture I managed to get of the tear squeezed up in there.

RADEoN
05-27-12, 12:42 AM
I just wanted to say that I think it is awesome that you are contributing to this forum!

yeah it is really awesome. it's better than having a technician around at all times. nothing like cadillac paying someone to hit CTRL+V to all threads involving problems with their cars. It's either "I suggest you take it to the dealer", or the one like was posted here.

SevillianSTS
06-29-12, 10:44 PM
Well, I just got the car back today, they put on the new mounts ;)

and they also put on a new harmonic balancer.

Balancer still wobbles though, maybe not as much, but it still does.... :banghead:

Here's a video of the new one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpMGvbmtfbI

I used the yard stick to show how you can hear it pulse on the balancer and how it is nice and smooth on the upper pulley.

He told me again this is normal.

What do you guys think ? Should I look into aftermarket ?

CadzillaTN
06-30-12, 12:40 PM
Dealers usually screw up repairs, don't be surprised if you are worse off now than when you dropped it off.

I can't even count how many things were 'fixed' multiple times on my car due to incompetence.

SevillianSTS
06-30-12, 01:20 PM
How do they screw up putting on the balancer and have it wobble like this ?

Just curious