: Traction contol vs stability control on the V's

2012 CTS-V
05-21-12, 09:20 AM
Hey guys whats the difference if you turn the traction control off and leave the stability control on versus turning both off and putting it in competitive driving mode? And how do you guys launch your automatic V's? Feather the throttle or hold the brake and rev up to 2k or so? Thanks.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-21-12, 11:12 AM
Good morning 2012 CTS-V,

Congratulations on your new CTS-V! I hope you've been enjoying it so far, and that the following information is helpful for you.

The traction control system limits wheel spin (useful in slippery road conditions). The system operates only if it senses that one or both of the front wheels are spinning or beginning to lose traction. When this happens, the system works the front brakes and reduces engine power to limit spin.

StabiliTrak, on the other hand, uses a series of vehicle sensors that monitor various inputs, including wheel speed, steering wheel angle, lateral acceleration (sideways forces) and yaw (rotational movement) rate. If the system determines that the vehicle is not following the path being steered by the driver, it applies brake pressure to one or more wheels in order to gain traction and guide the vehicle back on course. Engine power may also be reduced, if necessary.

While in the StabiliTrak Competitive Mode, the StabiliTrak Off light comes on, TCS does not limit wheel spin, and more effort is required to turn the steering wheel.

If we can clarify anything for you, or find more information, please don't hesitate to let us know!
All the best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

Fireverm
05-21-12, 12:29 PM
.....The system operates only if it senses that one or both of the front wheels are spinning or beginning to lose traction. When this happens, the system works the front brakes and reduces engine power to limit spin......

I assume you mean rear wheels and rear brakes as CTS-Vs are RWD.

Trapspeed
05-21-12, 10:10 PM
For the record, Competition Mode is not the same as "turning it all off". Rest assured the nannies are still on duty. If you want to see what it's like with all of the nannies asleep hold the TC button in the "off" position for about 5 seconds. Then, and only then, will you know the power of the Dark Side. Tread lightly!

TriTexan
05-21-12, 11:58 PM
Regarding launching your V - that depends on many factors. The surface (track/strip, asphalt, concrete, etc) and which V you have. My stock wagon, with a bit more weight over the rear wheels, launches fine with just a few PSI taken out of the stock tires. Yes - maybe hold the brakes a bit to build revs and then just give her all she's got. But sedans and coupes might require something different. I'm pretty much a novice at launching the car, esp. given that drag racing isn't my primary interest. I'll leave it to the experts to weigh in - there are plenty around here.

silverstreaker
05-22-12, 03:07 AM
Good morning 2012 CTS-V,

Congratulations on your new CTS-V! I hope you've been enjoying it so far, and that the following information is helpful for you.

The traction control system limits wheel spin (useful in slippery road conditions). The system operates only if it senses that one or both of the front wheels are spinning or beginning to lose traction. When this happens, the system works the front brakes and reduces engine power to limit spin.

StabiliTrak, on the other hand, uses a series of vehicle sensors that monitor various inputs, including wheel speed, steering wheel angle, lateral acceleration (sideways forces) and yaw (rotational movement) rate. If the system determines that the vehicle is not following the path being steered by the driver, it applies brake pressure to one or more wheels in order to gain traction and guide the vehicle back on course. Engine power may also be reduced, if necessary.

While in the StabiliTrak Competitive Mode, the StabiliTrak Off light comes on, TCS does not limit wheel spin, and more effort is required to turn the steering wheel.

If we can clarify anything for you, or find more information, please don't hesitate to let us know!
All the best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
I thought the steering got harder but I thought maybe it was in my head. On my auto tran, I found that the torque converter will allow slippage instead of applying full power to the wheels and does actually prevent wheel spin by doing this in 2nd and 3rd gears. Is there a more robust explanation of all that the competitive mode alters?

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-22-12, 08:47 AM
Is there a more robust explanation of all that the competitive mode alters?

I'm in the process of consulting our Technical Assistance Center about this, silverstreaker. Once I hear more, I'll be sure to get that information your way!
Best,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

curvedinfinity
05-22-12, 12:55 PM
Silverstreak, PTM (Performance Traction Management) is a separate suite of systems that can do what you are saying. It regulates torque output in various conditions (launch & corner exit) to limit wheel spin. Its very sophisticated stuff.

Xaqtly
05-22-12, 01:32 PM
Basically default mode is all nannies on.

Hit the TC button once and it turns traction control off, but stabilitrak is still in full nanny mode.

Hit the TC button twice and it goes into competitive mode, which turns traction control off, stabilitrak is still on BUT the nannies have been dialed back to allow for some fun. It still won't let you kill yourself though.

Hold the button down for 5 seconds and it will say Stabilitrak Off - all nannies have been disabled and you are on your own.

Weelzie
05-22-12, 01:40 PM
I found this forum yesterday because I googled that exact topic... what's the diff between sport, competition, etc... I'm so glad to find these answers, thanks folks!

baabootoo
05-22-12, 09:20 PM
Hey guys whats the difference if you turn the traction control off and leave the stability control on versus turning both off and putting it in competitive driving mode? And how do you guys launch your automatic V's? Feather the throttle or hold the brake and rev up to 2k or so? Thanks.

Unless you want to invest a lot of time and practice, leave all the controls on and mash it on the last yellow. With one prior run with things off, I got a 12.17 with it all on and street tires. I'll do that from now on since I don't have to worry about burn outs or other things.

SoCalCTSV
05-23-12, 12:58 AM
What does Sport Mode give us manual guys?

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-23-12, 11:12 AM
Sport mode has everything to do with the suspension, SoCAlCTSV (the world's fastest reacting suspension, as it were).

The V-Series features Dual-mode Magnetic Ride Control, in which the shock absorber fluid is infused with fine metallic particles. When subjected to magnetic fields, the viscosity of the fluid changes, stiffening or softening your ride to suit your performance demands. This groundbreaking technology reads the road up to 1,000 times per second, maintaining chassis poise without sacrificing a comfortable ride in both Tour Mode and Sport Mode.

Tour is better for city driving as it gives a soft, smooth ride, whereas Sport Mode is better suited for when road conditions or personal preference demand more control. This setting provides more “feel,” or response to road conditions.

I hope this is helpful!

silverstreaker, I am still waiting to hear back for more information on competitive mode.

Best,
Sarah

2012 CTS-V
05-25-12, 09:01 AM
Unless you want to invest a lot of time and practice, leave all the controls on and mash it on the last yellow. With one prior run with things off, I got a 12.17 with it all on and street tires. I'll do that from now on since I don't have to worry about burn outs or other things.

Thanks everyone. If I just mash it in my car and leave all the systems on, I will get wheel spin and the systems will cut off the power which will kill my quarter mile time. I think I just have to learn how to get the car going with limited wheel spin and then put the pedal all the way to the floor. I just get so damn excited sometimes but too much wheel spin is the worst! I haven't been to the track yet but will post my times when I get a chance to go.

V Wagon
05-25-12, 10:54 AM
Competitive Mode just allows you to get a little yaw before the stability control kicks in and eigns you in. For the most part, you are going to be just as fast driving with Competitive Mode on compared to have everything turned all the way off, plus you have that added benefit of the car catching you if you happen to get in over your head. On a track full stability control will be too limiting for fast laps. Competitive Mode isn't really going to get in your way though. Although you may find it kick on dropping into an off camber corner or something when you didn't really want it to.

thebigjimsho
05-25-12, 11:35 AM
Thanks everyone. If I just mash it in my car and leave all the systems on, I will get wheel spin and the systems will cut off the power which will kill my quarter mile time. I think I just have to learn how to get the car going with limited wheel spin and then put the pedal all the way to the floor. I just get so damn excited sometimes but too much wheel spin is the worst! I haven't been to the track yet but will post my times when I get a chance to go.

Does it? With everything left on, my V is allowed a little wheelspin and power is not cut off, it is managed. It's not intrusive at all.

I've kept the T/C on on badly prepped strips and have had success...

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-29-12, 04:06 PM
Just to bring closure to my earlier pursuit of a "more robust" description of Competitive Mode, my original post is all I have to offer I'm afraid (heard back from the Technical Assistance Center and they said "that's all she wrote!"). However, it looks as though other forum members have contributed to the discussion, and I hope it has quenched that thirst for more information.

All the best,
Sarah