: Help: FOB Not Detected - Locked Out

LiquidTrader
05-20-12, 10:03 PM
My key fob suddenly stopped working. I replaced the battery and still will not work.

I do not have the key. I only have the one fob

1BadCadSTS
05-20-12, 10:15 PM
Then your sol. Theres a slot in the car to start it in event of fob failure or major interference but you have to get in it 1st. Why didn't you have a key cut its only a 65k new piece of machinery that in all likelihood youre still making payments on, why on earth would you want a physical key to get in it. Not to mention let's assume maybe your cars battery is dead?! How do you plan on getting inside it to pop the hood to replace that battery or jump it?!

LiquidTrader
05-20-12, 10:55 PM
I have a key it's just not with me.

I had a locksmith open the door for me.

But how do I program the fob now? Or keep myself from being locked out

EChas3
05-20-12, 11:10 PM
From another thread I see you have a 2005. If all the seller gave you was a single old-style fob, you should have gone straight to a locksmith or dealer to have a mechanical key made. A dealer or better than average locksmith can cut or get a key based on your VIN, but now you're without wheels.

If you have the new style fob, the key is part of the metal end. But you'd have to be lucky because it takes some fabrication to mate an old-style key to a new-style fob.

Man, I feel for you. Once you do have a key, get a copy made. they are just a few bucks at a hardware store. Many think the STS key has security features, but no.

Fobs are cheap on eBay but watch out for similar ones used for different models. The Stciky thread at the top of the forum has everything you need to know.

Good luck.

----------

A locksmith might be able to get your car open and make a key but a delear might be cheaper. If you can't wait, you may have to tow it to a dealer.

----------

You did try the passenger side, right?

LiquidTrader
05-20-12, 11:52 PM
I'm moving to the west coast from the Midwest. And I've never had this problem until I started this trip. Of course

----------

What can cause major interference?

LiquidTrader
05-21-12, 02:41 AM
Does the type of battery matter? And the positive side has to be down right? Top side down?

Im not sure what has this going crazy all of a sudden.

1BadCadSTS
05-21-12, 07:49 AM
Did you stick the fob is the pocket in the center consol and try to start it?

LiquidTrader
05-21-12, 01:59 PM
Ironically, I woke up this morning and the fob worked perfect. The only thing I noticed differently is I had the Bluetooth off. I dont know if that would cause that but it's working today. Thank God!

eatyoursandwich
05-21-12, 03:39 PM
Man, you are having a rough go with your STS. Glad you got this sorted, but like EChas3 said, get a couple cut for backup, valet, etc.

B1n2fra
05-21-12, 03:54 PM
Sounds like maybe your door handles quit working on you. and echase what do you mean its you have to fabricate a key from the old style to new style. Best way is to buy a new style blank and have it cut.

EChas3
05-21-12, 10:07 PM
The late 2007 & up that use the new fob also use a different blank for the mechanical key. The later style fob works fine with the earlier cars but the key is different.

Ludacrisvp
05-22-12, 05:18 AM
I would do it just for the better looking new style fob.

B1n2fra
05-22-12, 10:35 AM
Thats what I was talking about. I bought two new style fobs and new style blanks.

eatyoursandwich
05-22-12, 12:46 PM
Thats what I was talking about. I bought two new style fobs and new style blanks.

Just out of curiosity, where and how much?

1BadCadSTS
05-22-12, 02:34 PM
Is eBay. Get a 2008+ STS only fob get a metal key cut shave it down drill a hole mount to 08 base and your done.

EChas3
05-22-12, 10:58 PM
The hardest part is convincing the True Value guy that you don't need a high-tech key. A few bucks later, I cut the 2006 key copy down to size, drilled a hole for a tiny screw & did a little grinding. No worries.

The new-style fob still remote-starts or raises the windows from over 200 feet away.

LiquidTrader
05-23-12, 02:04 AM
Once I turned off the Bluetooth on my iPhone it worked fine and have had no issue since. Not sure if it's related but that's the only thing I did differently so far.

EChas3
05-23-12, 10:43 PM
It sounds like interference. Get a key made, today.

LiquidTrader
05-23-12, 11:54 PM
I have a key

MacMuse
05-24-12, 10:28 PM
Don't keep the phone and the fob in the same pocket. That's the only time I've ever had fob issues - when iPhone & fob were in the same pants pocket.

eatyoursandwich
05-25-12, 12:25 PM
Don't keep the phone and the fob in the same pocket. That's the only time I've ever had fob issues - when iPhone & fob were in the same pants pocket.

Just went out and tried this and even though it worked normally a few times, I still couldn't get in 3 or 4 times. I've always wondered why both of my fobs go in and out.

I feel a bit stupid I wasn't able to correlated this myself, but thank you very much for the info.

Midnight
05-25-12, 04:44 PM
That is good info. I've occasionally seen the "Fob Not Detected" message, and while I don't really know if they were in the same pocket, or perhaps I had Bluetooth on for some reason, but it's comforting to know it could have been phone interference rather than some kind of intermittent problem that is going to worsen probably at the worst possible time :)

RippyPartsDept
05-25-12, 05:09 PM
it would make sense that radio interference could cause problems with these remotes and their communication back to the car

i would probably fault the phone's bluetooth radio over the car ...
i wouldn't be surprised if many of the BT radios out there actually operate out of their stated frequencies and/or power levels

MacMuse
05-25-12, 06:37 PM
Liquidtrader's "turned off bluetooth' comment finally lit my bulb. I rarely have my keys and phone in the same pocket. When he mentioned that it just hit me that I had them together the last two times I had the No Fob issue.

LiquidTrader
05-27-12, 07:30 PM
I'm glad I was able to help others with this issue. I, unfortunately, had to figure it out the hard way lol

cadillacmike68
05-28-12, 12:55 AM
The hardest part is convincing the True Value guy that you don't need a high-tech key. A few bucks later, I cut the 2006 key copy down to size, drilled a hole for a tiny screw & did a little grinding. No worries.

The new-style fob still remote-starts or raises the windows from over 200 feet away.

How do you use it to raise the windows? and, will it close the sunroof???

Ludacrisvp
05-28-12, 02:09 AM
How do you use it to raise the windows? and, will it close the sunroof???

Push and hold the lock button down on the FOB and it will close all windows.
It does NOT do anything with the roof... a very poor decision in my mind.
You have to have an 06+ STS to have the secure car feature as listed in the manual.
The Voice commands "Windows UP" and "Windows DOWN" also does not affect the moon roof.
Very disappointing that this feature was only implemented in a half-ass fashion.

oupavoc
05-29-12, 04:22 PM
I've been having this issue a lot lately. I changed both of my fob's batteries and it still did it. Had my fob's test, there working fine as per the technician. Since I'm still under warranty I'll take my car in for an inspection. Always leave the key on the fob and in the event of not able to start your car. I the hand rest console there is a slot to put the fob and the car should start up.

eatyoursandwich
05-29-12, 05:01 PM
I've been having this issue a lot lately. I changed both of my fob's batteries and it still did it. Had my fob's test, there working fine as per the technician. Since I'm still under warranty I'll take my car in for an inspection. Always leave the key on the fob and in the event of not able to start your car. I the hand rest console there is a slot to put the fob and the car should start up.

Sorry, was this a question or a statement or what? I got a headache trying to read your post.

If this is a statement, just look at post #20 and make sure you don't have a bluetooth enabled phone in the same pocket as the fob.

I have my iPhone set as the default bluetooth device so anytime I get within about 2 or 3 meters from my car, the bluetooth automatically connects which I can only guess is causing the interference between the bluetooth and the RF or IR signal from the fob.